Playing in low tiers is not the way to learn the game.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

The_Naa #1 Posted 23 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Heyo :)

i hear this a lot. ''go play lower tiers and learn how to play the game.''

yes playing lower tiers is a safe place to learn how to do little things, like aiming and shooting but nothing else really.

you cant learn how to use bushes right because everyone has bad view range and the tanks are small and easy to hide so staying hidden in a bush is not that difficult.

you dont learn how to use your armour because you either have non or you have so much that it does not really matter what you do as the enemy cant penetrate you or know where to shoot you.

you dont learn the tanks that you meet at higher tiers and you dont learn or get the feel to how to best play your tank.

you dont learn how each map is played because they play differently on lower tiers.

so basically everything you need to ''know'' about higher tiers cant be learned in lower tiers because the gameplay is just so much different.

and that is true for me when it comes to light tanks.

i mean look at this just a normal game in mines, i did not even break a sweat. im just so good light tank player and i dont even have that good of a crew on this.

Spoiler

i did 4 times my own hit points and amazing 8 kills, easy. my average damage for the tank atm is 947 thats more than douple my hitpoints in every game.

yeah i sure know how to play those lights.

WRONG!

im god awful LT player. i dont know anything how to spot for my team, how to stay hidden in a forward bush and how to get there unseen.

i dont stay alive long enough, i usually die in the first 2 minutes of the game if im lucky. my average assisted damage per game is less than half my tanks HP and i baraly do more than half the damage myself.

i just dont know how to play LT's

and playing in lower tiers does not help me that much because the gameplay is not the same there. playing a LT in lower tiers is basically the same as playing a medium in higher tiers, theres really no need for spotting and the tanks them selfs are so bad at it. the only way for me to get good at being a LT player is to just keep playing in higher tiers and learn from mistakes and my teams just have to live with that.

the same applys to other tank types and for other players, the game is so different after tier 7 so playing anything below that is never going to teach you enough on how to play the game the same way as it is played in higher tiers. i dont even blame bad players for playing in tier 10 when thay have something like 2 000 games because the only way they can get better at tier 10 gameplay is by playing tier 10.

World of Tanks is not like a normal FPS game where you just get a different gun that has a little bit different recoil pattern, magazine size and damage but the enemy, maps and gameplay stay the same.

in WoT you get a new tank that has different armour model, more or less armor, different gun with different penetration and damage, diffferent speed, more hitpoints, new maps (after tier 3) that are played differently and each tier mixes up the gameplay again new tanks that are against you that you need to learn, what they can and cant do, how much armour they have, alpha, pen, all that good stuff.

there is litterally no way you can learn all that just by playing that KV-1 for 10 000 games. the tank that is noob friendly and easy to play.

unless WG gives us a training room with accurate presentation of how gameplay on each tier and map works with bots, the only option is just to keep playing that Maus for 10 000 games and get the feel for it and learn. because the KV-1 is never going to prepare you for what waits you ahead.

OniichanSenpai #2 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3217 battles

Playing low tier will not make you a great player in high tier,

But if you already fail in the low tier, you will fail even harder in high tier.

That's the difference. If You still suck in low tier, THEN remain there and keep practising before you move on.

The_Naa #3 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOniichanSenpai, on 23 July 2020 - 11:36 PM, said:

But if you already fail in the low tier, you will fail even harder in high tier.

That's the difference. If You still suck in low tier, THEN remain there and keep practising before you move on.

Isharial #4 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 27093 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOniichanSenpai, on 23 July 2020 - 11:36 PM, said:

its that ^

the reason people say to "learn to play in lower tiers" is not "go learn how to be godlike in a TX light by playing a chaffee" because we all know that's never going to happen :P

its far harder to learn map positions and general "play" like leading shots or staying hidden while shooting in higher tiers, than it is in lower tiers - simply because of the view range/camo higher tanks have/dont have - most T5's dont have max viewrange, but pretty much everything does at T10

staying there specifically wont make you a good player, but learning what you can from lower tiers will certainly help you in highers.

Robbie_T #5 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22938 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Low tier is for learning the basics  and get comfy with it,

Map tactics can be verry different in tier 5 compared to 8,9,10. due too viewrange mobility ect

LethalWalou #6 Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:46 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36192 battles
Lower tiers are good for learning the maps in a safer environment. To learn higher tiers, you have to play higher tiers and meet the tanks you will be fighting against.

MeetriX #7 Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 27667 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
First you need learn to stand up before you can fall down, curl up and cry.

Edited by MeetriX, 24 July 2020 - 06:29 AM.

Tealo #8 Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49443 battles
  • [RIFF] RIFF

The best way to learn is by actually doing it!

;)

Cobra6 #9 Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16624 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Below Tier 6, the map tactics and general gameplay is completely different from the higher tiers so indeed not a good learning ground in terms of map tactics.

*HOWEVER* in terms of playing; Preserving HP, Prioritizing dangerous enemies, spotting and personal gameplay, it's a great place to learn since most enemy players are incredibly stupid so it's a lot more forgiving if you make mistakes.

So in short: For the development of your personal gameplay it's a great thing but for the map tactics it's a horrible thing.

Cobra 6

Thejagdpanther #10 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 40239 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

Looks like a serious argument for a serious game.

Problem is that the game as become a joke.

no_skill_bob #11 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
yes, the best way to learn the game is to buy a lowe straight away.

Bordhaw #12 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 16526 battles

View PostThe_Naa, on 23 July 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

Playing in low tiers is not the way to learn the game.

You've made the assumptions that new players want to learn the game and that new players even play at low tiers.

From what I've seen most new players start in Tier 7. 

shikaka9 #13 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 80050 battles
I started learn care  only when I got Centurion 7 ... and when first personal missions arrived

Mimos_A #14 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32984 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

Not everything can be learned there, but basic stuff like aiming, when to push, map knowledge, different use of different types of tanks, using terrain features, using bushes, difference in playing top tier vs bottom/mid tier, the list goes on.

There's plenty of people playing high tiers that miss 3/4rds of their shots because they can't aim for crap. People that have no idea where to go after their initial position because they never went anywhere else. In short, plenty of people who could really be a lot less frustrating to play with if they'd learned some basics at tiers where you expect people not to have a clue.

Bora_BOOM #15 Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32966 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

Get to T-34-85 (and 85M preferably) and play that for 2-3k battles.

By that time one will have a general picture of how things work, have a decent crew, and some credits to spend.

Check if able not to lose much more than you are winning.

Regroup from there.

If only I had this advice when I started and rushed to E50M... :facepalm:

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 24 July 2020 - 02:07 PM.

OniichanSenpai #16 Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3217 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 24 July 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

You've made the assumptions that new players want to learn the game and that new players even play at low tiers.

From what I've seen most new players start in Tier 7 Tier 8

Fixed it for you.

Venom7000 #17 Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9136 battles

I was staying in low tiers 1-4 for a lot of battles. Before I even considered moving to mid tiers.

Why?

People back then here told me to stay there to learn the game.

Truth is that lower tiers are nothing like how the game actually plays. And sealclubbing is a real problem there. What can a player learn from auto cannon gold spammer?!

Guns are also inaccurate.

Real school starts at tier 5. Where you learn armor angling, maps, weakspots.....and to stay away from tier 7 tanks like a plague :D

qpranger #18 Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
If the player got brains, (s)he will learn plenty playing any tier.

The_Naa #19 Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostVenom7000, on 24 July 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

and to stay away from tier 7 tanks like a plague :D

one of the best tiers in the game if you ask me. (and not only beacuse Panther is at tier 7. its just happens to be that Panther is at tier 7 and that is one of the reasons why its so good)

sure some of the tanks there can be really bad but the MM is amazing. and a tier 7 tank VS tier 5's is basically duck hunting. :justwait:

Dramya #20 Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18136 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostBora_BOOM, on 24 July 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

Get to T-34-85 (and 85M preferably) and play that for 2-3k battles.

By that time one will have a general picture of how things work, have a decent crew, and some credits to spend.

Check if able not to lose much more than you are winning.

Regroup from there.

If only I had this advice when I started and rushed to E50M... :facepalm:

Better to play those 2-3k battles in a variety of tanks. It’s not only about knowing your tank, it’s also about knowing your enemy, and how better then to play those other tanks too

As for the original topic, tier 1-5 are more of a playground. In tier 6-7 tanks get a more pronounced role with strong- and weakpoints, and i think this is the best place for new tankers to learn the game before they advance to higher tiers. Tier 6 even more then tier 7 because of the matchmaking giving you a majority of same-tier battles.

Tier 8 and higher should be avoided by the majority of the new players. Not only because this is where most veterans reside, but also because the chances to meet higher tiers is a lot higher. Not that this is in itself a problem, but it takes experience and knowledge to do something usefull in higher tier matchmaking. And it’s this experience that should be gained in lower tiers. And no, you will not learn the weakspots of tier 10 tanks in lower tiers, but it will gain you the experience and patience that you will need in those encounters.

Edited by Dramya, 24 July 2020 - 06:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users