Jump to content


Double Trouble

Double barreled tanks

  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MrKrotchy #1 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:31 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 25694 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

What's up with the double barreled tanks? They came out a few months ago but even when they were new no one really played them or talked about them.

There were some mentions of STII being trash and 703II being OP but other than those few topics they were forgotten faster than the Manticore line and nowdays you rarely see one in game.

 

Is it that they're not meta enough for Unis but too hard to play for the Steves so they're basically sitting in a limbo of not catering to anyone or is there a different reason? 

 

What I'm saying is that I want to hear your opinions on all the DB tanks because they're some of my favourite tanks and I'm a little confused as to why there aren't more of them since I find them to be very strong.

 



no_skill_bob #2 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:35 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 2,552
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013

View PostMrKrotchy, on 24 July 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

What's up with the double barreled tanks? They came out a few months ago but even when they were new no one really played them or talked about them.

There were some mentions of STII being trash and 703II being OP but other than those few topics they were forgotten faster than the Manticore line and nowdays you rarely see one in game.

 

Is it that they're not meta enough for Unis but too hard to play for the Steves so they're basically sitting in a limbo of not catering to anyone or is there a different reason? 

 

What I'm saying is that I want to hear your opinions on all the DB tanks because they're some of my favourite tanks and I'm a little confused as to why there aren't more of them since I find them to be very strong.

 

none of them are really Op or anything, i would rate all of them like this:

1st place  - is3-2, solid heavy with 2 shot autoloader essentially, has some armor against Ap, but doesnt have any against prem shells.

2nd place  - probably is-2-2, but for me obj703v2 still seems a bit better, just because of its armor, which actually works as good as on defender if used properly.

3rd place, lets not even go there - havent bought it and never will, because tier 9 is not only better tier for tier, it would be better as a tier 10 as well. i have played 80 battles in is-3-2 and i really cant find any good reason to get st-2, so far 3190dpg with 1.9 kill per battle + 62,5% wr so far, i bet that if i would get st-2 i wouldnt even pass 3k dpg mark as its slow, turns slow and has the same armor as st-1, that doesnt work.


Edited by no_skill_bob, 23 July 2020 - 11:41 PM.


qpranger #3 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:38 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 38889 battles
  • 7,091
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
  • Member since:
    12-25-2013
Because all are waiting for triple barrel tanks.

no_skill_bob #4 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 2,552
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013

actually there might be another reason why barely anyone plays them, grinding xp on kv3 is a masochism.

p.s. i see that you have 3marked yours already, so why do you even ask :D its quite obvious, isnt it? 


Edited by no_skill_bob, 23 July 2020 - 11:45 PM.


MrKrotchy #5 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 25694 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View Postqpranger, on 23 July 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

Because all are waiting for triple barrel tanks.

 

Stop, I can get only so erect...



Inappropriate_noob #6 Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:55 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 19030 battles
  • 5,823
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostMrKrotchy, on 23 July 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

What's up with the double barreled tanks? They came out a few months ago but even when they were new no one really played them or talked about them.

There were some mentions of STII being trash and 703II being OP but other than those few topics they were forgotten faster than the Manticore line and nowdays you rarely see one in game.

 

Is it that they're not meta enough for Unis but too hard to play for the Steves so they're basically sitting in a limbo of not catering to anyone or is there a different reason? 

 

What I'm saying is that I want to hear your opinions on all the DB tanks because they're some of my favourite tanks and I'm a little confused as to why there aren't more of them since I find them to be very strong.

 

Well bully for you, they are a strong as wet andrex, got shot of mine ages ago, they need t be a better armoured Defender with better gun handling for them to be any good, they are not so are crap.



Gruff_ #7 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:10 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 26510 battles
  • 2,816
  • Member since:
    09-22-2011
I see lots of the t8 premium 730 one, in randoms and strongholds

MrKrotchy #8 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:11 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 25694 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View Postno_skill_bob, on 23 July 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

none of them are really Op or anything, i would rate all of them like this:

1st place  - is3-2, solid heavy with 2 shot autoloader essentially, has some armor against Ap, but doesnt have any against prem shells.

2nd place  - probably is-2-2, but for me obj703v2 still seems a bit better, just because of its armor, which actually works as good as on defender if used properly.

3rd place, lets not even go there - havent bought it and never will, because tier 9 is not only better tier for tier, it would be better as a tier 10 as well. i have played 80 battles in is-3-2 and i really cant find any good reason to get st-2, so far 3190dpg with 1.9 kill per battle + 62,5% wr so far, i bet that if i would get st-2 i wouldnt even pass 3k dpg mark as its slow, turns slow and has the same armor as st-1, that doesnt work.

 

1. IS3-II is definitely my favourite. Though mostly because I consider T9 to be actually a balanced tier and thus fun.

2. IS2-II has amazing gun handling and gun depression which feels really comfortable but 600 salvo while it's high it's not game ending scary high. And while 703's massive 780 alpha salvo at T8 seems like a superb meme I'd like to participate in, unfortunately I can't cuz poor...

3. STII is a nice tank and somehow my best DPG one at T10 but considering it is a T10 I don't play it. Gold spam, 3 arties every game and basically guaranteed broken tank like Chief lately makes me avoid T10 like plague. 

But still, you could try it, that 880 punch and mobility on par with other heavies is good enough.

 

View Postno_skill_bob, on 23 July 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

actually there might be another reason why barely anyone plays them, grinding xp on kv3 is a masochism.

p.s. i see that you have 3marked yours already, so why do you even ask :D its quite obvious, isnt it? 

 

With all the blueprints and bonuses you basically don't have to play the KV3. I mean I did because I'm a masochist but others don't.

 

And while I did mark them in the first 2 weeks because they just work for me I'm still interested as to why there aren't more of them. I mean I'm kinda glad they're rare but then again I'm not?



MrKrotchy #9 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:56 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 25694 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostInappropriate_noob, on 23 July 2020 - 11:55 PM, said:

Well bully for you, they are a strong as wet andrex, got shot of mine ages ago, they need t be a better armoured Defender with better gun handling for them to be any good, they are not so are crap.

 

Not everything has to have insane armor. They already have best gun handling, good turrets and a salvo.



no_skill_bob #10 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:28 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 2,552
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013

View PostMrKrotchy, on 24 July 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

 

1. IS3-II is definitely my favourite. Though mostly because I consider T9 to be actually a balanced tier and thus fun.

2. IS2-II has amazing gun handling and gun depression which feels really comfortable but 600 salvo while it's high it's not game ending scary high. And while 703's massive 780 alpha salvo at T8 seems like a superb meme I'd like to participate in, unfortunately I can't cuz poor...

3. STII is a nice tank and somehow my best DPG one at T10 but considering it is a T10 I don't play it. Gold spam, 3 arties every game and basically guaranteed broken tank like Chief lately makes me avoid T10 like plague. 

But still, you could try it, that 880 punch and mobility on par with other heavies is good enough.

 

 

With all the blueprints and bonuses you basically don't have to play the KV3. I mean I did because I'm a masochist but others don't.

 

And while I did mark them in the first 2 weeks because they just work for me I'm still interested as to why there aren't more of them. I mean I'm kinda glad they're rare but then again I'm not?

well maybe i will try it some day, for the issue is that i dont have enough good crews for every tank :D



MeetriX #11 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:46 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 27789 battles
  • 5,081
  • [_ACE] _ACE
  • Member since:
    08-12-2012
Not everybody were lucky and got the Obj. from the loot boxes and tech tree tanks has been out of meta for years.

no_skill_bob #12 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:53 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 2,552
  • Member since:
    10-31-2013

View PostMeetriX, on 24 July 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Not everybody were lucky and got the Obj. from the loot boxes and tech tree tanks has been out of meta for years.

is-2-2 is actually a better tank than obj 703v2, unless you play it full stock like i did :D



Bordhaw #13 Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 16538 battles
  • 5,690
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostMrKrotchy, on 23 July 2020 - 10:31 PM, said:

What's up with the double barreled tanks? They came out a few months ago but even when they were new no one really played them or talked about them.

There were some mentions of STII being trash and 703II being OP but other than those few topics they were forgotten faster than the Manticore line and nowdays you rarely see one in game.

 

Is it that they're not meta enough for Unis but too hard to play for the Steves so they're basically sitting in a limbo of not catering to anyone or is there a different reason? 

 

What I'm saying is that I want to hear your opinions on all the DB tanks because they're some of my favourite tanks and I'm a little confused as to why there aren't more of them since I find them to be very strong.

 

 

Block Quote

Gimmick

A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal, often with little intrinsic value and short term gain.

 

 



Dava_117 #14 Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Moderator
  • 24764 battles
  • 7,032
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

IMO the problem is that the double barreled tanks are actually quite balanced.

They are not meta tanks, so unicum and competitive player don't use them, but are not broken nor OP, so bad player don't use them either.

 

I personally like them. ST-2 earned most of my chevrons on ranked and is pretty funny to play.

Will likely rate them this way:

1) ST-2: it's and ST-1 with good gun handling and better hull armour. Now is my second best tier 10 by WR, with 53% and may probably be able to raise it a bit more.

2) IS-2-2 because of the turret shape and fast firing guns. A really smooth tank to use.

3) IS-3-2: armour is trash, can't be angled due to pike nose and the turret armour don't get better with gun depression. The gun itself wasn't that great IMO, in fact I moved the whole crew on ST-2 as soon as I got the silver to buy it. Didn't regret that. :)



FizzleMcSnizzle #15 Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 29338 battles
  • 955
  • Member since:
    05-21-2018
I quite enjoyed playing the is3 II for a week, but the novelty of the double hit wears off very quickly.
Like any heavy line, they suffer from not being chieftains / 279e. Why grind ANY heavy line, when you know that at tier X you will get outclassed? It's not as if Chieftains are a rare sight these days.

Rati_Festa #16 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 53102 battles
  • 2,720
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    02-10-2012

I found the t9 by far the best, the t10 is just to slow and the double-barrelled doesn't compensate enough. I worked through the dual cannon and then the brit lights, was totally underwhelmed with both the t10's and uninstalled the game. I can't see the attraction in having lines where the t10's are poor/boring, just a waste of time imo.

 

I would suspect the t10 had so many poor reviews it generally put people off grinding the line, which perhaps I should have heeded too.



Infryndiira #17 Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:20 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24769 battles
  • 711
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    09-20-2013
I am a fan of the new two-barrel tank model. It adds a certain amount of flexibility that other heavy tanks don't have, at the price of reload (more often than not). Tier-for-tier I'd say the 703v2 and IS-3-2 are the best, but the ST-2 shouldn't be frowned upon as it still boasts a very respectable armour profile and packs a rather mean punch.

tajj7 #18 Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 30504 battles
  • 18,402
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View PostDava_117, on 24 July 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

IMO the problem is that the double barreled tanks are actually quite balanced.

 

This is probably the problem yeh, they are decent but not great, so many see that as bad. 



MrKrotchy #19 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 25694 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014

View PostMeetriX, on 24 July 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

Not everybody were lucky and got the Obj. from the loot boxes and tech tree tanks has been out of meta for years.

 

Y'mean they're not stupidly OP like the "meta" tanks so they're automatically trash? That's a bad way of looking at things. Basically the reason why we're where we are with the balancing.

 

View PostInfryndiira, on 24 July 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

I am a fan of the new two-barrel tank model. It adds a certain amount of flexibility that other heavy tanks don't have, at the price of reload (more often than not). Tier-for-tier I'd say the 703v2 and IS-3-2 are the best, but the ST-2 shouldn't be frowned upon as it still boasts a very respectable armour profile and packs a rather mean punch.

 

Exactly why I love them. Alot of them compared the STII with 60TP saying that alpha is basically the same but 60TP doesn't have the delay (even though ST2 has 130 damage more which can make a difference) but can your 60TP kill a 300HP enemy and still have an extra shot/faster reload? Probably why I also do well in them giving me that alpha or DPM/multiple kills when I need it.

 

View Posttajj7, on 24 July 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

 

This is probably the problem yeh, they are decent but not great, so many see that as bad. 

 

The sad truth. It's either broken OP or complete trash, no inbetween. And balanced is often either ignored or put in the trash pile.

 

Block Quote

 

Gimmick

A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal, often with little intrinsic value and short term gain.

 

I mean the short term gain is that you just nailed someone for double damage. And it definitely has value if you know how to exploit it.



24doom24 #20 Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 9607 battles
  • 2,123
  • [WW3] WW3
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012
That's because they are 'meh' tanks, so after the realization of this they kinda just faded away from the spot light. 703 has good gun handling, I'd play it over the defender any day of the week if I had it just because of that. 

Edited by 24doom24, 24 July 2020 - 05:14 PM.






Also tagged with Double barreled tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users