A Guide to Ranked Battles

Ranked Guide Tips Improvement Fundimentals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hyina #1 Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 67279 battles

So I've come across a great deal of people discussing about Ranked, most negatively. The way I see it, it's actually a bit easier than last year's Ranked battles both in terms of tanks available and progression.

Like I said in a post somewhere, as a disclaimer, this won't turn you from Div 3 to Div 1 overnight, nor change from 50% --> 120%+. Most of these are mistakes which I've made myself in the past and learnt from, and figuring out to play the system of progression.

1. Choosing the best tanks for you

I'm not going to tell you which tanks are best picks. This is not the same as choosing the "best" tanks in your garage. Just because a tank is great for almost everyone else doesn't make it great for your style of playing, and forcing yourself to adjust your style in Ranked is like forcing a sportsplayer to play a final out of position or a different sport entirely, you will make more mistakes and end up worse. No, best stick with tanks you have good understanding of, and not force yourself play something you're simply not. For example, vast majority of players would say Super Conqueror is fantastic - yet personally I've tried again and again (even this season) to make it work and in the end just left it out of my setup. I'm just not a great heavy player, don't like to spam prem and often get impatient, so forcing myself to slug it out trading hp/dmg was simply making me perform way worse.

Unless you are an exceptional player who is able to master every single tier 10 tank you have and make all of them work in a highly competitive environment as Ranked (remember, just because you 3 marked something in Randoms, doesn't make you great in it in Ranked). I suggest you pick a core group of 2-3 tanks, 4-5 max if you are equally as good in them. 2 seasons ago when I first started Ranked Chevron system, I remember playing every tier 10 I had, from 121, to Badger, to FV183, and ended that Division 2 with something like 50-70% which is less than half of what I got in the Div before.

In general however, superheavy/slow cumbersome tanks / long reloads like Maus, JagE100, Type 5s, FV183s are not the "meta", too slow to move into position, too slow respond and relocate, too slow to dodge arty, too long reload to make use of very franctic pace of Ranked.

2. Pay attention to your team's movement and deployment at the start

Countless times I've seen either 1 or 2 HTs or arty doing their usual business on a map without realizing their entire team has gone one way. Of course, they get caught out by an EBR and swarm of meds/arty/fast heavies easily and effectively you're starting the game with a handicap. You can't help others who do this but you can be more aware of it yourself.

Expect lemmingtrains, some maps it's just that way. E.g. Murovanka Forest both spawns, Serene Coast C1 both spawns. El Halluf C2 spawns. I'm not going to say whether this is mostly right or mostly wrong, there are merits of both, but you need to be more aware of where your team is going and deploy your tank appropriately. Even if you know they have lemming'd to the wrong flank and it will be a certain loss, it's better than trying to fight 1 vs 5 on your own and getting killed early, placing your in bottom 5.

3. Know your XP differences

(Ignoring the Vehicle Role XP debate/debacle whichever camp you're in on that)

A reminder of basic XP knowledge:

- if you're spotting only, you get half that xp if they take dmg

- if you're only sniping from back, you only get half that xp for the dmg (I've seen scores of 4-5-6k games outside top 3)

- therefore the optimal xp gain is shooting at tanks you're spotting for yourself. In most instances that is HTs in peekaboo frontal close range combat. But remember flanking manoeuvres in tanks like autoloaders/meds gets you good xp as well

- Ultimately, kills give you the most xp, but don't expect a 4 kill game less than 2k comb dmg will automatically grant you top 3. You need good balance of personal dmg/spotting for yourself too.

- Go for tracks when you see a healthy tank is about to get swarmed and killed in the next 10s, assistance is assistance and they can add to your score and overlap with spotting dmg, unlike when it doesn't during marking.

Random selection of what I have in screenshots of good balance of kills/dmg/assist in that order Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4. Playing the Maths game

This I figured out towards the end of the season before, probably most highly ranked players have done as well: it's better to save your Double Chevron (DC) games for later/harder Ranks.

Think about it, let's say an average player gets 10 DC games per div, the initial stages take 1-3 Chevs to progress, whereas some of the later ones take 4-6 Chevs.

If they use up all 10 DC games early, balanced with some poor performances & chevs loss, sure they can get to Rank 4-7 pretty quickly, but after Rank 7 when you need 4-6 Chevs to just pass to the next Rank, if you can't get a steady stream of performances, you could be staying there forever. This I learnt from personal experience when it used to be 15 Ranks per Div, I was stuck at Rank 12-14 for 3 days straight one season.

If you save your DC games for those harder stages, you could potentially leapfrog an entire Ranks with a +4 game followed by another +4 game, and makes overall speed of progression much much faster.

Now to balance harder Ranks with the Safe/Shielded Ranks in mind. I can't access the Ranked Chev levels to view everything back but I seem to remember Rank 5 was always safe and 7/8? had 2 shields? What this means is that it's better to be playing single chev games immediately after those safe/shield ranks are reached, because losing won't affect your Rank, only your overall %. So you can lose 10 games in a row but stay where you are if Safe Rank.

The best time to use a Double Chev overall then in my opinion:

- Rank 8-10

- if you're 4 chevs away from a Safe/Shielded Rank

What this means in effect this season is, I started with Foch B/Prog in Div 3/2/1 and carried on playing them over and over again that day, without using up further DCs until Rank 5 onwards. So between Rank 5-10 generally, I had 8-10 DC games to utilise to speed through some of the stages if I got lucky with MM and teams. I even had 3 DC games spare from Div 2 and carried them onto Div 1.

When it did get to DC times, I just did the DC for my selected tanks (in Divisions: Foch B, BC, Prog, in Leagues I've added 13 105 to use up an extra DC per day) and didn't play again until the next day for 3 more DCs.

Note however any surplus DC games you have in Div 1, won't carry forward to Leagues. I lost 3 or 4 DC games that I'd saved unused that way.

---

Also, a lot of it is down to luck sadly. I'd say 60-70% of my DCs were from losses, so with a more balanced team if I ended top with Wins instead of Losses, I'd have ended with 170+% than just 125% I'm on right now.

Some examples of heartbreaks:

Heartbreak 3x 1 shot tanks / 3 misses away difference from winning Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
We go on to lose this 6-15 Spoiler

---

That's all the time I have tonight, there are probably lots more but things like best tactics for each map, reading of gameflow, decision making, is too much to generalise on here. I guess I can mentor people privately but only if I'm free.

Edited by Hyina, 25 July 2020 - 04:37 PM.

FizzleMcSnizzle #2 Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29051 battles
Most forumites don't play Ranked.

no_skill_bob #3 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
best guide for ranked - just dont :D

Ricky_Rolls #4 Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:51 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 78555 battles
Literally the worst mod ever introduced, even with the reward tanks out of the equation.

no_skill_bob #5 Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostRicky_Rolls, on 25 July 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

Literally the worst mod ever introduced, even with the reward tanks out of the equation.

this

DeBanus #6 Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30341 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

@Hyina: 15/13 shots fired/penetrations in your Batchat 25t? 

Holy cow, did you facehug afk Leopards or something to get this kind of ratio :P

Just kidding. I started this ranked season after a long break from WoT, in the BC 25t (since it was a good tank in the past) and got so frustrated with the gun handling, compared to TVP / Progetto.

On Toppic: I really like the extensive work in writing a guide for people struggling with Ranked Battles. Keep up the good work Tanker! :great:

Hyina #7 Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 67279 battles

View PostDeBanus, on 25 July 2020 - 04:21 PM, said:

@Hyina: 15/13 shots fired/penetrations in your Batchat 25t? 

Holy cow, did you facehug afk Leopards or something to get this kind of ratio :P

Just kidding. I started this ranked season after a long break from WoT, in the BC 25t (since it was a good tank in the past) and got so frustrated with the gun handling, compared to TVP / Progetto.

On Toppic: I really like the extensive work in writing a guide for people struggling with Ranked Battles. Keep up the good work Tanker! :great:

Usually when I fire in BC I'm hugging them so tightly it's as if I missed them during Covid. Works pretty well for efficiency of xp gain per shot. Key thing is timing of push and calculating if you will get caught by 5 guns and die in 0.5s (which has happened to me yesterday in Prog), or you will succeed and in doing so actually spot some of the campers at the back for even more xp gain from assists.

If anything, the Prog has trolled me so hard with that ".28" gun I wonder if they already silently nerfed it. It's more sluggish and 70% of the chevs I lose are in that.

People don't like Ranked because of the losing streaks and think the mm is against them, this is not really true, the reason why Ranked plays so fast is because individual mistakes get capitalized a LOT quicker and can lead to a slippery slope landslide win/defeat. Most tanks in Ranked let's be honest will be maxed out. Losing a couple tanks + key locations of the map early on will usually massively tip the balance. And once the score becomes too negative about half of the remaining forces will abandon and play for solo gain, which is to be expected.

Those who make the mistakes will lose a chev. Those who cannot spot the turning point of the battle nor work out the best way to farm xp will also lose a chev.

Edited by Hyina, 01 August 2020 - 02:01 AM.

Also tagged with Ranked, Guide, Tips, Improvement, Fundimentals

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users