Tier 9 swedish medium turret?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mike_Mckay #1 Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25097 battles

I've recently unlocked the UDES 16 and whilst grinding the modules I noticed that although you get better view range and traverse speed the armour drops quite significantly compared to the stock turret

With the overmatching physics and the abundant hailstorms of HEAT ammo in games is it best to stick with the stock turret as my crew already gets my view range over the 447 limit anyway with coated optics and with the characteristics of the tank and its ridge peeping play style the turret traverse doesnt feel that important anyway, but bouncing as many shots as you can DOES

Or is the shape or design of the upgraded turret different so that the armour thickness isnt so integral to the play style?

trispect #2 Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 37012 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY
No it's not better. Even though it have more armor it's so much bigger and worstly sloped that it has effectively much worse armor. Check armor model in tanks.gg. 

no_skill_bob #3 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

top turret has better armor, number that wg show you, doesnt tell you the whole truth, that applies to all tanks.

on some maps i substitute a heavy tank with udes 16 if needed, just 2 days ago, i held fishermans bay famous corner against 3 hts and T30, had 2 oneshotable heavies near me, bounced 3,6k and then they started to load HE :D

none of udes turrets are impenetrable - doesnt matter if its a tier 9 or tier 10 variant, you cant just sit in front of enemy guns and let them aim.

one thing worth mentioning about swe meds - upper hull(engine bay) is 50mm thick so you can facehug your enemies and usually they will try to shoot that instead of aiming for weaker parts of your turret, they will fail to do any dmg to you with AP/APCR, unless they can fire HEAT, they cant do crap to you. 

i really dont like the way udes15/16 hull is shaped in that regard, as the lower plate kind of extends on to your engine deck, thus making it harder to position yourself hulldown and it might give an easier pen when going for facehug as well.

Edited by no_skill_bob, 24 July 2020 - 08:41 AM.

MaxandChloe4ever #4 Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

General of the Army

• 255 battles

The upgraded turret is angled better, hence it will have better effective armor.

However, I still hate that tank with all my heart. :izmena:

Mike_Mckay #5 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25097 battles
Cheers for the replies, I did think it might be an angling thing but wanted to make sure

Mike_Mckay #6 Posted 24 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25097 battles

View PostMaxandChloe4ever, on 24 July 2020 - 08:49 AM, said:

The upgraded turret is angled better, hence it will have better effective armor.

However, I still hate that tank with all my heart. :izmena:

Well it is Swedish, so thats completely understandable :)

Geno1isme #7 Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50092 battles

The armor of the top turret is a bit better, but still quite unreliable as it has slightly different angles on the left and the right side. While the right side will auto-bounce pretty much all AP and APCR shells (unless they're shooting down at you) you won't get that autobounce-angle all that often with the left side. That paradoxically means that the turret parts with thicker nominal armor are actually more likely to get penetrated.

On the other hand the viewport on the right turret side is a significant weakspot while the viewport on the left isn't even a hitbox.

FatigueGalaxy #8 Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24425 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View Postno_skill_bob, on 24 July 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

i really dont like the way udes15/16 hull is shaped in that regard, as the lower plate kind of extends on to your engine deck, thus making it harder to position yourself hulldown and it might give an easier pen when going for facehug as well.

UDES 16 is similar, though. Visual model is just bugged/inaccurate...

Spoiler

And you get penetrated there a lot, because this part of armour ins invisible to you and people can hit there and penetrate even if it appear to you to be auto-bounce angle:

Spoiler

It should be a bounce at this angle but in reality, those shots hit that invisible mid-part which is maybe ~180 mm effective at this angle... btw. this is IS-2-2 with 100 mm gun and Cent 7/1 with 20pdr...

That's why UDES 16 is just crap. You get crappy gun because this tank supposed to have armour. But armour model is bugged and full of weakspots so you are left with nothing. 15/16 at least has that 440 alpha gun with ~7,7s reload so you are not relying entirely on sitting hulldown.

Edited by FatigueGalaxy, 24 July 2020 - 06:23 PM.

no_skill_bob #9 Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostFatigueGalaxy, on 24 July 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

UDES 16 is similar, though. Visual model is just bugged/inaccurate...

Spoiler

And you get penetrated there a lot, because this part of armour ins invisible to you and people can hit there and penetrate even if it appear to you to be auto-bounce angle:

Spoiler

It should be a bounce at this angle but in reality, those shots hit that invisible mid-part which is maybe ~180 mm effective at this angle... btw. this is IS-2-2 with 100 mm gun and Cent 7/1 with 20pdr...

That's why UDES 16 is just crap. You get crappy gun because this tank supposed to have armour. But armour model is bugged and full of weakspots so you are left with nothing. 15/16 at least has that 440 alpha gun with ~7,7s reload so you are not relying entirely on sitting hulldown.

i know that, its just that on 15/16 its huge, but obviously 15/16 is way better, one of the better tier 10 meds :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users