Discussion concerning introduction of a permanent PVE mode

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

qpranger #1 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

I think WOT would benefit from a permanent PVE mode, not necessarily as a solution for attraction of more players, but more as a tool to retain some of its current player base. Variety is good.

In a recently botched umpteenth EBR complaint thread someone raised the issue of PVE, hinting that it may have caused another tank game to fail. They must have meant Armored Warfare, but they got the logical sequence of events wrong. AW was already failing when the permanent PVE mode was added. Perhaps it was hoped to boost interest and stop the rot, but in any case it served to provide an opportunity to enter a match faster, shorten the queues for those who just wanted to play, humans or no humans on the opposing team. So AW failed DESPITE PVE, nott because of it.

Now let us look at War Thunder. A permanent PVE mode has existed there for several years, it is called Assault and in it you defend your base against waves of attacking bots. Sounds familiar, after all WOT also had a similar setup a while ago, but only as a temporary event. In fact, having played PVE both in War Thunder and WOT, I found the WOT version more exciting. I am not so sure about the more recent version where you had to attack bots, from forum feedback it seemed harder than it should have been. A passive (defence) PVE mode is naturally more luring to a wider circle of players as many of them indeed are passive in their gamestyle.

I play Assault in War Thunder on a regular basis. It is good to grind stock tanks before you take them out against human opponents, and it is also fun and variety. Furthermore, it is a good way for a new player to learn the ropes without becoming frustrated by some very skilled human opponents. In my early days in War Thunder I played ONLY Assault a lot and it helped me to learn the game mechanics and perform better in PVP matches once I started those. Surely this approach via permanent PVE would address some of the issues with new players in World of Tanks!

Edited by qpranger, 25 July 2020 - 10:47 AM.

DaniulSims #2 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
No.

wsatnutter #3 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27669 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
war thunder WTF is that? oh I remember a pile of garbage

FizzleMcSnizzle #4 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29302 battles
Yes. Remove every artillery piece from PvP games and put it in PVE. Most clickers are so focused on their in-game snacks they won't even notice.

Dikkeh0nd #5 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24755 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY

AW wasnt failing in the beginning. It was pretty good when obsidian was developing it. My.com decided the changes obsidian was about to implement to the game wasnt good for the game itself.

My.com decided obsiadian needed to go and after that it went downhill fast. Weird decisions like SIMM and the introduction of more and more tanks with missile's killed the game fast.

PVE is one of the factors which devided the playerbase.. Largly due to balancing tanks for PVP games which made the PVE players unhappy to say the least.

It was so bad that they decided to close the forums due to LOADS of complaints. (from both PVE and PVP players)

I think PVE could work but its really important that PVE accounts are PVE only. They should not be able to grind tanks in PVE and then take m to PVP.

qpranger #6 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View Postwsatnutter, on 25 July 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

war thunder WTF is that? oh I remember a pile of garbage

That is what I thought as well until I tried it last year.

no_skill_bob #7 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

AW shot themselves in the foot by doing that, so no.

playerbase was drained out of pvp and to me it was instantly dead and i left from there.

Edited by no_skill_bob, 25 July 2020 - 11:11 AM.

trispect #8 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 37012 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY
Yes please. Remove arty from PvP and move to PvE.

saxsan4 #9 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

yes, all ong as you can play in platoon and use our tanks In the garage

the reason Berlin mode was boring was because we couldn't play our garage tanks

mpf1959 #10 Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 38739 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT
Yes, and I want to be the E.

Ricky_Rolls #11 Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 79248 battles
Oh yes, please. A PVE mod so they can take arty out of randoms. Put the wheelies with them so they'll both stop ruining 90% of games with 3 of them on each team.

gunslingerXXX #12 Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15357 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Yes please, randoms are turning into a massive pile of *** lately! 

Make a PvE without enemy arty and EBR and I'm sure it will be such a success that PvP dies a sliow and painfull death as it should!

shikaka9 #13 Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 80294 battles
when you realise that ...... Greta was talking about WoT :trollface:

wobblybob #14 Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 75615 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC

I think a PVE mode would be good for the game. It already exists in Warships and would open up historical options. You could have a realistic tech tree with actual tanks and equipment that would develop in line with the events of the war. 

Just keep the synchronised auto hit arty bots well away...

FizzleMcSnizzle #15 Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29302 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 25 July 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

Yes please, randoms are turning into a massive pile of *** lately! 

Make a PvE without enemy arty and EBR and I'm sure it will be such a success that PvP dies a sliow and painfull death as it should!

I much prefer the idea of removing artillery from PVP. EBRs too ideally. I don't want to play PVE. There is no satisfaction for me in killing an (actual) bot, but click wagons and clown cars just make for a miserable experience. 

Kicky92 #16 Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17129 battles
  • [EMRYS] EMRYS

I would also like some sort of PvE mode to be made permanent as an alternative to playing only random battles all the time. 

I would like to see both a team PvE and a single player mode PvE. 

Frontlines should be made permanent also. Sooooo much better than any other game mode in this entire game. (Controversial opinion I know) 

lets face it, PvP is just lazy programmers....

Edited by Kicky92, 25 July 2020 - 06:21 PM.

gunslingerXXX #17 Posted 25 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15357 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
wow... gameplay is just SOOOOOOOO bad today, Alt-F4'red 3 times already. Missed some unmissable shots myself, total crapfest.

no_skill_bob #18 Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postshikaka9, on 25 July 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

when you realise that ...... Greta was talking about WoT :trollface:

whenever i hear  anything about her :D

cracktrackflak #19 Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15316 battles
  • [ARRSE] ARRSE

View PostDikkeh0nd, on 25 July 2020 - 10:55 AM, said:

AW wasnt failing in the beginning. It was pretty good when obsidian was developing it. My.com decided the changes obsidian was about to implement to the game wasnt good for the game itself.

My.com decided obsiadian needed to go and after that it went downhill fast. Weird decisions like SIMM and the introduction of more and more tanks with missile's killed the game fast.

PVE is one of the factors which devided the playerbase.. Largly due to balancing tanks for PVP games which made the PVE players unhappy to say the least.

It was so bad that they decided to close the forums due to LOADS of complaints. (from both PVE and PVP players)

I think PVE could work but its really important that PVE accounts are PVE only. They should not be able to grind tanks in PVE and then take m to PVP.

Standard WoWS PvE games ("co-op" mode) have vastly reduced XP and credit income compared to PvP, so no-one really uses it for "grinding" (ok, some people with a lot of patience do).

PvE is very popular in WoWS - so much so that WG is now trying to kill it. There are a lot of reasons why WoWS players like PvE:

1. those who want to play for relaxation, and not competitive stress;

2. those who want to enjoy shooting stuff over a full game, without being deleted/clubbed after a couple of shots;

3. to enjoy a different game experience - e.g. in WoWS perhaps brawling at close range in a BB, instead of having to camp at a distance/ snipe;

4. to avoid the misery of play against CVs (WoWS' version of arty);

5. to try out new ships/ equipment/ skills builds, without risking player stats arising from PvP;

6. to warm up and/or practice before going into PvP play (particularly for top tiers);

7. to avoid team toxicity and/or incompetence;

8. to knock out missions, where permitted;

9 etc and so on.

Arguably, all those points would apply equally to PvE in WoT.

WoT and WoWS are actually ideal for setting up PvE scenarios and campaigns. WoWS has a set of battle/ convoy/ mission scenarios that are very popular - they are very different from the run of the mill 5 minute roflstomp PvP game.

I expect WoT would also benefit from good PvE modes in that it might attract back many veteran players who have left the game but now don't feel they can return because of skill fade or that the current PvP game often seems unplayable.

BattleMetalChris #20 Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

General

• Player
  • 11301 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I found the bots boring as hell in the Berlin mode. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users