The 4005 skin, WG finally making the move?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

mollethepro #1 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10762 battles
  • [DOFW] DOFW

we have seen wg time and time again be greedy and make things merely for the purpose of milking players. And with this ive been thinking of ways they could make consistant income and not need to spend their earnings on ways to make more money.

atleast im hoping thats the case, but i dont really know if they value profits more than growing the game and getting more players in (that could be milked)

skins for tanks is probably the most reliable way of getting money from players. This way players make their tanks more unique and wargaming still get their cash. Which they hopefully spend on making more lines and stuff.

The biggest reason i think skins is way better is because it appeals to so many more players, it will most likely sell alot more, and it DOESENT affect the actual balance.

making the 500th premium tank in tier 8 wont help anyone, most people dont buy every single tank that comes out to the game. why would i buy another premium TD when i have the infamous skorpion G? im not the most competetive player, but i neither think most players spend 40+ euro on a tank just to train their crew.

Making more premiums only sells so much, while making one or two skins for tier 10 tanks or any tank at all will most likely sell to a lot more players. Since in WoT there are hundreds of tanks with the exact same look to them its very refreshing to see better looking tanks in your team or in the enemy team with more bells and stuff.

i would say that stickers could even be something that would sell alot if you gave players more freedom with them. Like being able to change the size at free will and being able to put them anywhere on the tank.

offcourse the 4005 skin isnt worth the money for most people but hey, rather that than a tier 8 shitbarn premium that will 1 shot you when you try to play a tier 7 eh?

snowlywhite #2 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32943 battles

imho, they're doing it very wrong.

skins... well, I want my tank to be unique(as much as possible). So, why would I buy a skin that another 3k ppl. will buy? How is that unique?

otoh, I'm trying to customize the way tanks that I like playing look. Problem is the current customization is downright bad. Or not even bad, but... totally boring. But anyway, imho, if they want to monetize this, probably customization is the way to go. Not skins which, again, will make you look like another 10 bazzilion ppl.

Infryndiira #3 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24769 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Tank customisation, in general, is the way forward: styles, camo paints, base paints, and especially emblems and decals. Most of these can already be purchased for gold at any given time, but 3D styles, in particular, can also net bonus cash for Wargaming if handled properly. Prices aside, the sale with the FV 4005 Galahad is probably a good one.

That being said, more customisation is always good. It would be nice if we got access to more national emblems/decals, such as how the T 55A sports the East German/NVA decal on its turret. It would be amazing if players could properly customise their tanks with Greek, Turkish, Belgian, Norwegian emblems, both from the period covered by World of Tanks, as well as the modern ones; we already have the national flags, so why not the emblem sported on the tanks of those countries?

Likewise for decals, of course. Why not allow us to customise our T-62A into, say, one from a different Warsaw Pact country? Why not allow us to make our Patton look Israeli, or, heck, our Centurion look Bulgarian for that matter? We could do that both through decals as well as emblem.

A second category would be for unit emblems and decals. So far we have the playing card symbols (historically used by the French) and the red triangle (historically used by very specific British & Commonwealth vehicles). It would be nice to get more of those; for instance, a full selection of such British tactical signs (diamond, triangle, square, circle, and vertical bar) in various colours (white, red, yellow, blue, and green) that would allow platoons of friends to be customised as though they all belong to the same squadron and regiment. The same for other countries of course!

And most importantly, it would be awesome if 3D styles could allow such customisations to be fitted on them as well. For instance, today's Galahad style sports a red square on the tank's turret; this marks it as belonging to the B squadron of the 1st regiment of its brigade, if I am not mistaken. Why not allow us to customise its unit further? A lot of people would pay extra for that. Heck, I have customised almost all my British tanks with the red triangle (A squadron, 1st regiment) tactical insignia in the first place! (Except for the Super Conqueror and the FV 4005. Their 3D styles sadly can't support that.)

mollethepro #4 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10762 battles
  • [DOFW] DOFW

View Postsnowlywhite, on 27 July 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

imho, they're doing it very wrong.

skins... well, I want my tank to be unique(as much as possible). So, why would I buy a skin that another 3k ppl. will buy? How is that unique?

otoh, I'm trying to customize the way tanks that I like playing look. Problem is the current customization is downright bad. Or not even bad, but... totally boring. But anyway, imho, if they want to monetize this, probably customization is the way to go. Not skins which, again, will make you look like another 10 bazzilion ppl.

buying a skin still has a value even if many others have it.

if there were more than just 1 skin then you would be able to pick your favourite and buy it.

or if you are super speciall person and really want to be the only person in the world with a certain hair colour/gender/tank skin then you could pick the most expensive or whatever people dont want to buy.

17:24 Added after 4 minute

View PostInfryndiira, on 27 July 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

Tank customisation, in general, is the way forward: styles, camo paints, base paints, and especially emblems and decals. Most of these can already be purchased for gold at any given time, but 3D styles, in particular, can also net bonus cash for Wargaming if handled properly. Prices aside, the sale with the FV 4005 Galahad is probably a good one.

That being said, more customisation is always good. It would be nice if we got access to more national emblems/decals, such as how the T 55A sports the East German/NVA decal on its turret. It would be amazing if players could properly customise their tanks with Greek, Turkish, Belgian, Norwegian emblems, both from the period covered by World of Tanks, as well as the modern ones; we already have the national flags, so why not the emblem sported on the tanks of those countries?

Likewise for decals, of course. Why not allow us to customise our T-62A into, say, one from a different Warsaw Pact country? Why not allow us to make our Patton look Israeli, or, heck, our Centurion look Bulgarian for that matter? We could do that both through decals as well as emblem.

A second category would be for unit emblems and decals. So far we have the playing card symbols (historically used by the French) and the red triangle (historically used by very specific British & Commonwealth vehicles). It would be nice to get more of those; for instance, a full selection of such British tactical signs (diamond, triangle, square, circle, and vertical bar) in various colours (white, red, yellow, blue, and green) that would allow platoons of friends to be customised as though they all belong to the same squadron and regiment. The same for other countries of course!

And most importantly, it would be awesome if 3D styles could allow such customisations to be fitted on them as well. For instance, today's Galahad style sports a red square on the tank's turret; this marks it as belonging to the B squadron of the 1st regiment of its brigade, if I am not mistaken. Why not allow us to customise its unit further? A lot of people would pay extra for that. Heck, I have customised almost all my British tanks with the red triangle (A squadron, 1st regiment) tactical insignia in the first place! (Except for the Super Conqueror and the FV 4005. Their 3D styles sadly can't support that.)

i completely agree with everything you said.

true, true, true.

snowlywhite #5 Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32943 battles

View Postmollethepro, on 27 July 2020 - 06:19 PM, said:

buying a skin still has a value even if many others have it.

if there were more than just 1 skin then you would be able to pick your favourite and buy it.

or if you are super speciall person and really want to be the only person in the world with a certain hair colour/gender/tank skin then you could pick the most expensive or whatever people dont want to buy.

I don't want to be special... Though often I end up; which is a total headache btw. Only normal ppl think it's fun to be special.

I just want to be able to customize the tank in a way I(me, myself) like. Because ultimately I'm the only one who's looking at that tank. Not the other players.

and the current options are rather meh. Decals are really bland; insignias are so small. And camos are... very camo like(and usually look more or less the same for a given nation).

I'm not even sure I'd have the skill/patience to customize the tank if a more advanced system would be provided. But the current one, again... totally uninspiring.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 78197 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well, there is a reason why most reward tanks, even for FL that is a tier 8 event are tier 9 now. They are running out of tier 8's to milk or add. 

View Postmollethepro, on 27 July 2020 - 06:01 PM, said:

offcourse the 4005 skin isnt worth the money for most people

That's part of the issue. If the players feel the value is there, they will buy it for WG to keep going for it. As we did see with the Warhammer skins. They were a bit pricey, but had lots of details and you see them fairly often. Inc on the normal KV-2. Then you had the Lowe valentine skin that was rather basic for the price. I've not seen a single one in the wild tbh. So I don't suspect that one did well. Or with the old loot box skins sold on the black market for 3500 gold. They hardly sold any. So WG needs to find a balance on price vs value or details on the skin if they keep at it. Vs the same price just based on tier alone. This is pricey due to the recent event it was given out at, and the tokens sold there for more than one free skin I suspect. 

That said, back in the day WG had wider plans for customizing. As in they wanted you to add the camo net over the tank, helmets, pans, weapons, wood logs etc each on their own. Vs having it all on a pre-set skin. I wish they did go back to that idea too later at some point. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 27 July 2020 - 07:07 PM.

LCpl_Jones #7 Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14883 battles
the skins are an addition to the op premiums, not replacement of. milking turned upto 11

Bigtime_Alarm #8 Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24860 battles
£16 to make my tank look like the spare parts bin fell on it?  yeah right
18:39 Added after 1 minute

View Postsnowlywhite, on 27 July 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

You have just described the entire fashion industry

Edited by Bigtime_Alarm, 27 July 2020 - 07:40 PM.

snowlywhite #9 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32943 battles

View PostBigtime_Alarm, on 27 July 2020 - 07:38 PM, said:

£16 to make my tank look like the spare parts bin fell on it?  yeah right
18:39 Added after 1 minute

You have just described the entire fashion industry

I don't go very often to a tailor. So, in a way, you're right. Otoh, I can mix and match various pieces to obtain something that pleases/amuses me.

plus... the price. They are asking exactly the same price which I've payed two years ago for a 13 57. Ok, the rate varied a bit, so probably it's 10% less or so. I buy the best t7 light for x; for 85-90% of x you sell me a bloody skin. For a tank you just nerfed to oblivion. How exactly does it make sense?

ok, it's 17 eur or something; in the end who the f cares. But you've just told me(indirectly) you think I'm an idiot when you made me such an offer. And that's not something that will make me open my wallet.

BattleMetalChris #10 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:11 PM

General

• Player
  • 11310 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Player-base: Stop selling op equipment and tanks this is terrible!
WG: *Instead sells cosmetic upgrades with no gameplay effects*
Player-base: Stop selling skins, this is terrible!

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 27 July 2020 - 11:11 PM.

mollethepro #11 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10762 battles
  • [DOFW] DOFW

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 27 July 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

This too perfect.

if the next update had 10+ skins for diffrent tier 10 tanks and they all cost 10 euro wg would make a fortune.

saxsan4 #12 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:26 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
waste of money, why spend 17 pounds on pixels

mollethepro #13 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10762 battles
  • [DOFW] DOFW

View Postsaxsan4, on 27 July 2020 - 11:26 PM, said:

waste of money, why spend 17 pounds on pixels

The same reason you buy clothes you think look slightly better than other clothes.

you might not like it, however stubborn or economic you are but other people will.

Bigtime_Alarm #14 Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24860 battles

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 27 July 2020 - 11:11 PM, said:

Sell me cosmetic things that actually look better for a sensible price?

saxsan4 #15 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View Postmollethepro, on 27 July 2020 - 10:30 PM, said:

The same reason you buy clothes you think look slightly better than other clothes.

you might not like it, however stubborn or economic you are but other people will.

I would buy the skins for 5 pounds or under as would most, its like I woulsnt spend £1000 on a pair of shoes but id spend £400 for example 

Homer_J #16 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:08 AM

Field Marshal

• 33999 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsaxsan4, on 28 July 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

I would buy the skins for 5 pounds or under as would most,

But then they would lose their exclusivity value because more people would buy them, which would put some people off buying them.

saxsan4 #17 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:58 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostHomer_J, on 27 July 2020 - 11:08 PM, said:

But then they would lose their exclusivity value because more people would buy them, which would put some people off buying them.

but it would be a fair price to pay, then wg can relate multiple skins, 17 pounds is a total rip off

Homer_J #18 Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

Field Marshal

• 33999 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsaxsan4, on 28 July 2020 - 12:58 AM, said:

but it would be a fair price to pay, then wg can relate multiple skins, 17 pounds is a total rip off

A fair price is dictated by what someone is prepared to pay.

If someone was prepared to pay 50 Euro for the skin then that is a fair price.  And some would buy it just because it was expensive.

If you are not prepared to pay the asking price then don't buy it.  It really is that simple.

snowlywhite #19 Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32943 battles

that would be correct on paper, but:

Many of the skins were previously available for free; like this one. Was for free in the mode from earlier this month. I was actually thinking about getting the one for strv. Then I remember I f hate that tank/tds in general and settled for the bonuses.

which makes the whole thing rather ridiculous. So... 2 weeks ago I had the option to get it for free. And now I'm supposed to pay the price I've payed for... probably the best t7 tank. Really? How exclusive is a skin that was for free for everyone? And it's not the only one in this situation. Many skins that I got for free were afterwards for sale. Again - what's exclusive in that?

LethalWalou #20 Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:47 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36290 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 28 July 2020 - 12:21 AM, said:

If you are not prepared to pay the asking price then don't buy it.  It really is that simple.

Unfortunately WoT player base doesn't understand these simple things, same goes with hating the game yet still playing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users