Can you get any better in WOT than you already are now?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Can you get any better in WOT than you already are now? (103 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

1. Yes I can - and I will (52 votes [50.49%])

Percentage of vote: 50.49%

2. Yes I can, but I won't - why? (16 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

3. Not sure (16 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

4. Nope, I have reached my limit (19 votes [18.45%])

Percentage of vote: 18.45%

Vote Hide poll

qpranger #1 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

NekoPuffer_PPP #2 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 37330 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Honestly, not sure.

Maybe slightly, might get to 55% WR by the end of the year, but I don't think I can do any better than that...

I have the knowledge and experience, but I just don't have the consistency to make it work right all the time. Plus, my luck is terrible, which is fitting, because of the date I created my account. :teethhappy: Double 13's don't cancel eachother out, apparently!

Actually, I've had a look at my WR curve...it's pretty much flatlined at 54.8% in the last 3000 battles. :unsure: rip

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 28 July 2020 - 10:24 AM.

TheDrownedApe #3 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 53804 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

it depends what you mean.

WR - sure, platoon (which i don't do) as that will increase my recent WR by prob 5%.

epeen - sure, play lights more

Skills - probably not, at my age I've reached my limit

Only_Slightly_Bent #4 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29376 battles
  • [O_S_B] O_S_B
Yes but I'm too lazy to put the effort in.

MaxandChloe4ever #5 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

General of the Army

• 255 battles
Sure, I started as a player with 400 wn8, and I am consistently improving.

Hyina #6 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 67392 battles

The question isn't "can" or not, I firmly believe anyone and everyone can improve, whether they may/will depend on a lot of factors.

Mentality is the main thing. Mods like XVM are just toxic really. There is literally no need to use it unless you are a bit insecure and want to feel better about yourself comparing to others. That's not being harsh or unjust in my opinion. People keep saying they want to know what kind of players they come up against or get teamed with, really that's just a poor excuse they keep telling themselves. Having XVM offers nothing apart from creating a harsher environment where people judge one another, it doesn't have to be open rage in chat at the start, you may not say anything but your mentality would be affected already. I've seen plenty of players, good, bad, friends, randoms, use XVM as the basis of their judgement - "44%er"/"noob"/"bob"/"steve", when from where I'm looking at least, they make some equality poor decisions at times. You don't need XVM to tell who knows how to play the game and who doesn't in game.

Coupled with mentality of xvm would be humility, if you're insisting you're better than others simply because numbers say so, you will keep making the same mis-plays again and again. Without positivity nor the aptitude to improve, whilst blaming everything else from tank imbalance to MM to accuracy RNG, players do plateau and decline, because they will never change the core way which they intepret tactics, read the map, make key decisions.

And yes, I also have my moments of meltdown, we are all human after all, I'm learning to have less of those each day. Negativity serves you nothing apart from making your mood foul, a catalyst of further poor decisions/interpretation of a bad streak of MM.

I came across an interesting view the other day in a novel - thinking you're better than everyone else may sound the same as thinking everyone is worse than you, but it isn't.

Edited by Hyina, 28 July 2020 - 11:42 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37590 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Sure you can. The first step is to stop believing there is no "you" losing, there is your teams losing, allocated to you beyond your control and you being just 1/15 of the force (or farce) deployed against the enemy. 

trispect #8 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 37001 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY
For quite long time I thought I have just hit my ceiling, but now recently I have been able to raise my level noticeably. Watching some of the best players play the game in Twitch and YouTube have helped me identify some fundamental flaws I had on my game.

qpranger #9 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 28 July 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

Sure you can. The first step is to stop believing there is no "you" losing, there is your teams losing, allocated to you beyond your control and you being just 1/15 of the force (or farce) deployed against the enemy. 

I am getting better again now, in the tank game that rewards individual player skill more.

My win rate of 50% in WOT was actually getting worse last year despite me playing better.

I had better damage, WN8, everything except win rate. And I always play for the win.

Now, in War Thunder my win rate is already over 51% in less than a year :)

Edited by qpranger, 28 July 2020 - 11:26 AM.

Sircapalot #10 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43402 battles

Voted: Yes I can but I won't.....here's the Why?

I am a lousy keyboard handler and get in trouble often when I play closer combat or have to change  directions while aiming at the same time.

I would have to practise this, but since that is very boring to me (feels like work, not like fun) I did not do this "yet" (7 years)

Maybe I will some time, but don't count on it :D

I play what I can play best = more fun for me. (and the team I'm on)

Just to be clear, I play mostly TD's (prefer turreted ones) and move to spotting or at least rendering distance from the start of the battle.

Also play Arty, and where the maps allow it move a lot instead of just camping in base. (With todays meta with EBR's a must)

facmanpob #11 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5984 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

Yes I can, and I will. How do I know this?

Because my recent results in higher tiers are matching my results from last year in mid-tiers, and my recent results in mid-tiers are much better than last year. Hence I am continuing to improve and haven't yet reached a ceiling.

Draakard #12 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23876 battles

You can always get better in learning the dynamics and reading the gameplay.

There is so much to learn from every vehicle within the different classes. Every vehicle can be played good once you know its characteristics.

I did my part of grinding stock tanks back in the days and training crew skills from 0% (big mistake).

Now I have 1802 crew members and 372 vehicles. I never play stock and always have crew with minimum 2 - 3 skills.

bikes02 #13 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8911 battles

View PostHyina, on 28 July 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

The question isn't "can" or not, I firmly believe anyone and everyone can improve, whether they may/will depend on a lot of factors.

Good post, spoken for truth +1

trispect #14 Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:58 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 37001 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY

View Postqpranger, on 28 July 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

I am getting better again now, in the tank game that rewards individual player skill more.

My win rate of 50% in WOT was actually getting worse last year despite me playing better.

I had better damage, WN8, everything except win rate. And I always play for the win.

Now, in War Thunder my win rate is already over 51% in less than a year :)

For you to be able to significantly affect you win rate positively, you need to in general do two things: 

1. Play aggressively (depend on the tank how aggressively): Meaning you will need to be there where the fighting happens or in position to support to where fighting is happening. Because if you don't, battles can easily turn +2-3-4 tank advantage to enemy and it gets massively harder after that. So you need to do the damage where it matters the most. (LOL and obviously don't play arty... :D https://play4stats.com/wot/eu/user/qpranger/detail/5996155/)

2. For you being able to affect income positively you need to be doing more damage than you have hitpoints. 

In my last 15 sessions which I have played solo my winrate has been between 60-75% with one odd 47% session and one 54% session. For really long time I thought also that I was improving as a player but my winrate was steadily decreasing. I was simply playing way too passively. 

Draakard #15 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23876 battles

In Random Battles you can't expect to see any teams simply because the communication between the classes doesn't exist.

Even if you added teamspeak or Skype still 60 - 80% of the team would not be able to communicate. I have the impression that 50% of EU server doesn't speak english.

Imagine Polish, Czech, English, German, French, Italian and Spanish on the same chanel ?

Due to lack of communicaton in the team you can't realy rely on anyone... and this is perhaps why people rush to the front ignoring arty and TD backup ?

Edited by Draakard, 28 July 2020 - 02:03 PM.

splash_time #16 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17511 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Yes i can, i started marking couple of my favourite tanks, and i noticed that i can make even the bad tanks (Tiger II for instance) work even against T10s, so that's a good sign. 

Also, my WN8 is increasing as well, so it's a good way to know it too. :)

I really enjoy playing T8s and T9s, I'm not sure about the T10s as I still need to improve my skills. 

Conclusion: I can improve, but it's not going to be soon, because a F2P player can't improve easily.

Homer_J #17 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:16 PM

Field Marshal

• 33999 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I peaked around May 2011 but I'm happy that I have fun and at the same time give a passable performance occasionally.  If I want to stress over something I have plenty of real life stuff I can do that with.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #18 Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37590 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postsplash_time, on 28 July 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

Conclusion: I can improve, but it's not going to be soon, because a F2P player can't improve easily.

No, being a F2P player doesn't have any bearing on your ability to improve your own personal skills. If anything in the long run it helps you because it forces you to think that little bit harder about weakpoints when you can't just spam your 2 key at everything. 

FizzleMcSnizzle #19 Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29225 battles
I've plateaued. Bad habits are ingrained. I could unlearn them, but with the game as bad as it is, it's hard to justify the effort. I don't fire much gold, so I could go down the spammer route, and maybe gain a percent. That would mean spending more on the game though, so probably not.

Sylvansight #20 Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36966 battles

Sure, loads of room for improvement.   At this stage I don't think I'm going to make significant gains in how well (or badly) I aim leading shots etc, going to have to work with what I've got.  But I expect making judgement calls about picking flanks at the start / when to push, hold, retreat to improve as I get more experience.  

If I ever get to the point where I feel I've got nothing new to learn I'll go and play something else instead. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users