How do play the Type 5 heavy after the nerf?

Type 5 Type 5 heavy How to play Help Guide Nerf Bruh Tactics Equipment Japan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Misha_is_the_best #1 Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 11512 battles
  • [VSOS] VSOS

Hello, i have once more returned to this game after a year, but i have noticed that the type 5 hasnt got the idiot proof playstyle anymore...

I would request someone to explain how its played.

On avarage i have 2.4K dmg with it wich seems to not ne enought for the second gun mark.

I have an agressive playstyle.

My equipment is: 

-Wear resistand gun laying drive

-Gun rammer

-Superheavy Spall Liner

I use the AP gun without gold shells

-Basic consumables (small kits)

randomarty #2 Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 35608 battles
  • [210MM] 210MM
Don't! Its garbage!

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 11655 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Spall liner not worth it imo.

Especially not when vstab exists.

And with the recent equipment rework, I'd say swap out the gun laying drive for the improved rotation mechanism, or maybe the improved aiming module.

Turbocharger perhaps if speed is an issue (you're a super-heavy, why be concerned about speed).

Also, not using gold shells at all is outright dumb since there's too many other thanks you won't be able to reliably penetrate.

Misha_is_the_best #4 Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11512 battles
  • [VSOS] VSOS

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 13 August 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Spall liner not worth it imo.

Especially not when vstab exists.

And with the recent equipment rework, I'd say swap out the gun laying drive for the improved rotation mechanism, or maybe the improved aiming module.

Turbocharger perhaps if speed is an issue (you're a super-heavy, why be concerned about speed).

Also, not using gold shells at all is outright dumb since there's too many other thanks you won't be able to reliably penetrate.

I think the spall liner is a good idea idea because of artillery reasons. Also im not using gold because i dont want to loose 100K credits per round, but tbh every single single oponent im facing is fine with that.

Nishi_Kinuyo #5 Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 11655 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostMisha_is_the_best, on 14 August 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

I think the spall liner is a good idea idea because of artillery reasons. Also im not using gold because i dont want to loose 100K credits per round, but tbh every single single oponent im facing is fine with that.

I'm not saying you should fire only gold. :facepalm:

Also, the effect spall liner has on arta is... too minimal imo to be worth spending a slot on it that can be better spent on something else.

leggasiini #6 Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19186 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Turbocharger is actually pretty strong on a tank like this imo because the top speed is so low that +4kph to top speed is roughly a 16% increase. Considering the low speed and engine buff alongside with it, it lets you reach positions faster, have a smaller risk to get shot at when you move into position and it allows you to react quicker if you need to relocate into another flank. You can close the distance quicker, which means enemy has a bit less time to shoot at you when you reach the position. This is important for the Type 5, because the more HP it has remaining once it actually reaches the battle, the better it'll perform, as often it relies on its very high HP pool to simply trade blows (the armor becomes too unreliable against tier 10 gold shells, so you need to rely on your HP). It basically gives the Type 5 the same mobility as the E 100 (1kph worse top speed but stronger engine and reverse speed), which is a notable difference. 

---------------------

Type 5 is pretty sh*t but its a bit better than what people give it credit for. Its actually very simple to play by itself, but positioning it correctly is the tricky part. Because it has bad accuracy, bad DPM, terrible gold shells and for some reason both of its AP shells lose A TON of penetration over distance (standard shells have the worst penetration out of all tier 10 heavies at 500 meters, yes worse than Kranvagn that fires APCR with worse base penetration), you want to avoid long range engagements at all cost. You just get wrecked by HEAT while you try to use your clunky, inaccurate gun with among the worst premium shells in the entire tier (AP with 290 mm penetration that loses a lot of penetration over distance is...pretty terrible). Getting in a fight against a hulldown tank that sits 200 meters away from you is an absolutely awful situation that you want to avoid, which unfortunately is sometimes practically impossible with a lot of maps having braindead hulldown spots with 100-200 meter wide "no man's land" zones that makes it pushing through without dying hard. If you are forced to deal with tanks sitting hulldown that spam gold and you can't run away, sometimes your only option is to just spam HE. You'd perform better here if you used the derp, yes, but only slightly so and you'd completely sacrifice the ability to stomp in case you'd actually get a favorable match.

You want to position yourself so that you're fighting your opponent in a close range, 50-100 meters away, in a flat ground where going hulldown for enemy is much harder. Type 5 is so tall that you can just overmatch engine decks and turret roofs of most tanks with ease, which helps you compensate your bad penetration, but this only works at very close range. At this situation you can outtrade basically every tank in the game apart from E 100 and to lesser extend the 60TP with the combination of 2900 HP and 600 alpha damage. Once you actually get the tank in the situation like this it becomes easier, the armor layout is pretty forgiving as you can just angle 45 degrees and have 300 mm effective all around protection (which isn't enough against gold but makes it ridiculous against standard shells if you meet a poor soul who cant afford premium shells). Just watch out for hull cheeks, as premium shells can penetrate those with ease. Aim your shots and make them count, every miss/bounce hurts a lot, as it probably means you lose your precious HP for nothing.

Type 5's performance also depends heavily on how good matchup you get. If you get a top tier game, then the tank becomes actually pretty good, considering how ridiculous it is against tier 8 and some tier 9s. Unfortunately, however, most games at tier 10 nowadays are full tier 10. In most of those matches Type 5 is handicapped pretty hard, unless you either play against idiots or you get yourself in a perfect position, which as I already said is pretty hard in a lot of maps considering how they're designed.

Basically playing the Type 5 is a gamble - you hope for a top tier game in a good map, where you'll absolutely wreck most of the enemy team simply because all of the tier 8s and many 9s have no hope in penetrating the Type 5. However, while you have a chance to get such game, you're way more likely to end up in a game against only other tier 10s, where they sit hulldown and spam HEAT shells at your absolutely gigantic tank with flat armor, while you struggle to do damage back with a gun that has the unfortunate combination of bad accuracy, bad DPM and bad (premium) penetration. The reason why the tank isn't absolutely useless is that even in games where the tank feels hopeless, it still contributes to its team by taking hits and acting as a shield. However, almost no one finds this very fun, especially when the armor is almost completely RNG based against premium shells, leaving yourself a little control over how much you block. That, and also because of the fact how powerful it is at winning games when it actually gets a top tier match. Despite this, it definitely is one of the worst tier 10 heavies in the game, especially after the recent patch that buffed other poorly performing heavies.

Edited by leggasiini, 14 August 2020 - 11:01 PM.

Elsamuele04_channel #7 Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7559 battles
  • [LE0NI] LE0NI
It s also not difficult to penetrate the cupola of type 5, so when you get hulldown,  still you have a weakspot,  when other "normal" heavies don't have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users