• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

MyGuardianIsTheReaper #201 Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19057 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Alright, after reaching rank 15 my conclusion is as follows:

1. It's way easier than FL. It only took me 18 games to finish. (and they are way faster than FL) I got into the top 5 around 50-60% of the time, I'd say (I didn't count, but that seems about right). I had 3 1st places in total (and I am by no means a stellar player or anything). Not getting anything in the 20-6 spots is fine, since you can still get lots of points from missions. (I jumped from 12 to 15 in just one game due to that).

2. I actually had at least as much fun as in FL. I really don't know why people here hate the game monde so much. Haven't seen any rigging myself so far.

3. Even if people say it doesn't make any bank, I made +1.55million credits

4. When it comes to the balance. Well, the raven is overtuned. The rest is fine. I mostly played with the Arlequin. Honestly, if you get killed in that thing before fully upgrading, you likely messed up/don't play it how it's supposed to be played, but it is by no means under powered.

5. Sadly I won't continue playing this game modde, since 1: I still need to gring the A46 and 2: after getting to rank 15, you are more likely to lose credits than to earn any, even as a good player.

Edited by MyGuardianIsTheReaper, 19 August 2020 - 02:34 PM.

RockyRoller #202 Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42106 battles

View Postmynameispuffs, on 19 August 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

Overall I had fun with the mode, but clearly I'm swimming against the tide :P

well if you like me spawn, have no crates near you then move off and find a tank now behind you, then you might say the mode is just cack because of luck of the spawn helps far too much. Or you spawn near nothing and a huge chunk of the map your in turns yellow, When radar is online the few drops are yep, in the yellow blocks soon to turn red.

When the luck is good you can cruse through and even end up number 1 without firing a shot.

Thing is, I don't know for sure if the modes been tweaked by devs overnight or is the same as Mon/Tues and I'm on the lucky side of SH today or just the 25% no longer playing? No way to run an event IMHO.

Edited by RockyRoller, 19 August 2020 - 02:48 PM.

MyGuardianIsTheReaper #203 Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19057 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostRockyRoller, on 19 August 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

well if you like me spawn, have no crates near you then move off and find a tank now behind you, then you might say the mode is just cack because of luck of the spawn helps far too much. Or you spawn near nothing and a huge chunk of the map your in turns yellow, When radar is online the few drops are yep, in the yellow blocks soon to turn red.

When the luck is good you can cruse through and even end up number 1 without firing a shot.

Just do it like me. Remember all the spawns and loot locations. Always go for the edge of the map if given the option (one less direction an enemy can come from). It has nothing to do with luck. The locations of the crates are always the same (even if the timing of appearance can vary a bit.)

Dwigt #204 Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• WG Staff
  • 2012 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBattleSniper, on 18 August 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

This is my first time playing this mode, and to be honest, I think it's pretty trash.

Way too much depends on the randomness of how many drops happen to spawn near you, and how many enemies decide to go to the same place as you.

If you get rushed by 2-3 people before you can even get your first upgrade, you're just screwed.

Also, I just don't understand how penetrations work in this mode, it all seems pretty random. It's common that I don't pen with a green reticle, but I've also managed to pen 4-5 shots in a row with a red reticle.

I will play the mode to farm the rewards (thankfully it doesn't take that long), but I'm not finding much enjoyment in it.

It's my first time too but I'm used to the BR genre. In most of the BR games the result will depend on your start. If you get lucky enough with the loot at the start you're probably going to get more kills.

Try spamming X (scan) on cooldown. It can help you avoid enemies and drops to upgrade your tank. 

View Postrimmer_the, on 18 August 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

Solo play: many, many games, only once in top 8.

Platoon:1st place first try. You could not have screwed up the design of this mode more.

I heard that platooning in the mode make much easier. 

If you have someone covering your flanks it would a help a lot I imagine! 

View PostBouncee, on 18 August 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

trash, people teaming up in random

Honestly I got ganged up one time :) I reported the guy that killed me. But it happened once early in the morning and since then I haven't had that issue.

What I would recommend you to do is to record a video of your the game if it's possible and report the player(s) teaming up with each other via a CS ticket.

RockyRoller #205 Posted 19 August 2020 - 05:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42106 battles

View PostMyGuardianIsTheReaper, on 19 August 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

Just do it like me. Remember all the spawns and loot locations. Always go for the edge of the map if given the option (one less direction an enemy can come from). It has nothing to do with luck. The locations of the crates are always the same (even if the timing of appearance can vary a bit.)

Yes that can help, remembering the nodes, but they still need the rng to spawn crates. Same with opponents in where they chose to spawn then head out.  Only thing you can do is die fast and restart when the luck isn't with you that battle. It might be better the next?

What works for me today is just not fighting at all if I can help it. Yes I did get forced to do a few kills but I was far more in an equalish position to win a couple of 1v1 than Monday or Tuesday. There were only 80 all day playing solo, and the pool was such I got to level 11 just grinding battles out between breaks..  I might see what its like with more online in the evening just to compare.

RockyRoller #206 Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42106 battles
Just played against the snare and no way is that a 50% speed reduction. I couldn't turn and could barely crawl forward in an upgraded speed Raven. Thats way OP.

Bitangocska #207 Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6135 battles

I finally reached lvl 15 and it's really so much fun!

It was worth the almost one year wait.

I wil keep playing while the mode lasts, it's really exciting. So many interesting situations can emerge.

As I see, the opinions on the tanks (and also somewhat on the required playstyle) vary much. I prefer the Arlequin for survival and a sure spot for 2nd, while I take the Varyag if I want battles or go for the damage mission. The British one is the only that I don't any like, I didn't have any good battles with it and while they lasted, they weren't much fun...

rimmer_the #208 Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3801 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T

View PostRockyRoller, on 19 August 2020 - 09:00 PM, said:

Just played against the snare and no way is that a 50% speed reduction. I couldn't turn and could barely crawl forward in an upgraded speed Raven. Thats way OP.

Its nice how SH isnt even remotely balanced, from the tanks themselves to the abilities. 

DrazaFFT #209 Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13756 battles
Managed to finish it strong with a victory in the last game. Did it simply by trying to deal damage for missions, been in top 5 literally 3 times, twice today. It was a surprisingly fun event, tanks actually appeared to be really good, loved the brit the most then the german. Can't wait for the next stage. Hopefully the daily missions will remain

lostplace #210 Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:01 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18153 battles

Ok, finished. Time for a feedback from a mediocre players point of view. I have rejoined WoT this year after 5 years of absence just in time to play the last Frontline week (fantastic game mode, should have joined earlier). Generally I do like how much the game has been changed and enriched meanwhile. Now I am playing Steelhunter for the first time and speaking frankly, it's a rather frustrating experience. 

I guess this is partly due to the competitive nature of battle royal games that sooner or later end up in a 1:1 brawl against a better player. Or even worse in a 1:n against better players. Additionally, you don't have anything to blame for your loss but yourself. There is no team that supposedly failed, no pay to win elements involved and RNG happens to everyone else over time as well. You simply have to realize that it's finally you and only you who sucked. Which I do exceptionally well in Steelhunter. But it's not all about battle royal. 

What else do I dislike in Steelhunter?
Allowing only the top 25% to progress is very tough. I made it only 1 in 10-15 games into the top 5 and then only at ranks 4 or 5. Therefore, my conclusion was like that: Pick Raven > Harbinger > Varyag > Others, push 2-button and yolo asap into the next available enemies. This way I got on average 1-2k damage within ~3 minutes per game. Repeat with next tank until daily missions are done. Yoloing for ~10 minutes and 200 mission PPs is a safe bet compared to playing the same 10 minutes seriously with the high risk of dropping out below rank 5, maybe some more damage but 0 rank PPs. For decent players with a realistic chance to get into the top 5 ranks the perspective is different for sure. But for a player like me that's the most efficient and least frustrating way to go. 

What do I like in Steelhunter? 
1) Definitely the implementation, e.g. the map design, the atmosphere and the tanks. The techtree complexity as such is imho ok because SH should be an easy to play fun mode without making too much of a science out of the game mode mechanics. You can create different tank class builds with a variety of guns and thats enough. The tanks and special abilities are not balanced and could be improved though.
2) The daily missions greatly helped below average players like me to get the rewards by investing work instead of skill. If you don't have enough talent you still can go your way with effort and this is fair.
3) The economy. You can earn ~1,6 mio credits as rewards with a more or less zero battle economy which is fine. If Steelhunter was a credit farming event like Frontline, the good players would not drop out after getting their reward tokens and that would have made things for below average players far more diffcult.
4) I heard a lot about rigging in last years season. This time I haven't seen even one game where people where teaming up. Yes, 1:2 or maybe 1:3 may happen in a game with 20 players and a map that is constantly shrinking. But I have never seen two players close to each other without shooting at each other. And I played at various times, also at low traffic times, early or late. This worked out really well. 
5) No loss of ranks in the progression system. I haven't played SH last year but I guess it must be extremely frustrating to be ranked down during a series of bad games.
6) The rewards.

What should be changed in Steelhunter?
My recommendation is to give at least some progression points to the lower ranks, e.g. 50 for ranks 6/7, 25 for ranks 8/9 and 10 for ranks 10-15. Even if this is an almost symbolic amount, it still motivates not to yolo from the very beginning. If you think this would make progression too easy, better remove the daily 1 kill mission worth 100 PPs. It's demotivating that it doesn't make a difference if you finish with rank 20 or rank 6. Just guess what would happen if only Generals would be allowed to climb the ranks in Frontline (btw, have I already mentioned that it is a fantastic game mode?). I think it is important to grant at least some progression as a minimum reward for every serious players efforts. Yes, the daily missions kind of fix it technically, but I feel the game mode should better create motivation on it's own and not rely on additional missions that much.

It's a pity, but SH is the least enjoyable part of the game for me (including Ranked Battles). To the other hand, it is at least a change to the regular random battles and has potential. I will continue to play it for sure. The rewards are too much tempting considering the moderate grind. After all, SH shows me in particular which skills I have to improve in the game. Maybe I should rather think of it as a training room for close quarter brawling with decent rewards, hopefully get better in it and eventually start to enjoy it.

Lord_Jerec #211 Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7623 battles
  • [-U-K-] -U-K-

I'm level 10 and it needs 400 a go, what do you need for level 15?

Just placed 2nd in my last game and went up to 12 and thats all missions completed.

Assuming all the missions are this easy it should be ok, but knowing WG they could add in some ridiculous missions and screw it up.

Edited by Lord_Jerec, 20 August 2020 - 11:47 AM.

RockyRoller #212 Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42106 battles

Now I finished, my conclusion are;

if the spawn rate of crates is going to be so sporadic in some landing spots and a cornucopia in others then either better coding to ensure a close drop will happen, or radar available for first click the second the battle starts is needed to balance the bias.

The slip from traction needs a mild detuning. Like driving on ice at the moment, and rather silly.

Same with getting constant landing damage to the French tank on dunes, just silly.

That snare click needs tuning down to sane levels to allow opponents turning.

Make sure team ganging in solo mode is prevented by any means necessary (I saw very little ganging myself, it was more lone sharks waiting to the winner won, then batting low hp tanks) but that's just annoying.

The final square needs to favour randomly every different tank style. in a building with block objects might just favour huge bruiser tanks not fast light tanks if you see what I mean.

13:51 Added after 1 minute

View PostLord_Jerec, on 20 August 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

I'm level 10 and it needs 400 a go, what do you need for level 15?

Just placed 2nd in my last game and went up to 12 and thats all missions completed.

Assuming all the missions are this easy it should be ok, but knowing WG they could add in some ridiculous missions and screw it up.

you need 500 for the last level

zileus #213 Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 28458 battles
Steel hunter is total crap.

mynameispuffs #214 Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 29010 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postzileus, on 20 August 2020 - 02:10 PM, said:

Steel hunter is total crap.

Not a fan then? :trollface:

Gremlin182 #215 Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66981 battles

Thats it I have had it I am done with Steel Hunter

Not really :)

I have simply reached lvl 10 got my token and can now buy the Char Futur reward tank.

I can play the mode for fun now and the secondary rewards, the best I could possibly do is to get another 10 tokens but to what end.

They do not carry over to the next series presumably next year.

They cannot be used to buy smaller rewards or sold for credits they are just useless.

This is a pity if they did have a use it would be one more incentive to keep playing.

Its a curious game mode I do ok except when it comes to fighting the other tanks when I invariably lose.

I think I managed to kill 2 tanks.

Most battles are nose to nose brawls or being shot in the back trying to escape a stronger tank or tanks.

Its a pain having the vision system in an arc you can see whats ahead but not whats coming up behind.

Still all in all its a fun mode I would play again.

I always forget to use any of my special abilities in fights probably why I lose. :)

Regonox #216 Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14590 battles
  • [MUMA] MUMA

Well credits where credits are due.

Playing Steel Hunter was actually fun (last time was okay, this time better), not sure how long I could enjoy playing, but getting to 15 didn't take very long especially because of the missions.

Those missions also gave you the feeling that even if you had a crap game, you at least got some progress (unless you deal 0 damage but I don't think that happens to people often even if you suck at it).

All in all, events like these are always welcome!

evilroco #217 Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 36089 battles
  • [EFI] EFI
Game play is not as good this time around ,reducing it to everyone gets a prize by removing downward rank points is SAD and the amount of "teams"  playing single player shows that problem is still around , still more fun than the game in current state.

Echotun #218 Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24815 battles
  • [FA-1] FA-1

Im having quite a bit of fun in the Steel Hunter this time. Two not very long sessions and already rank 11. 

Whoever designed the point gain system with the missions; two thumbs up! :)

Three_Rounds_Rapid #219 Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49111 battles
  • [W__F] W__F
Gave it another try after reading comments, just went for the daily missions, spamming battles to get damage and the kill for daily missions. Worked so much better than trying for top 5, got a few good games in the top 5 and winning 1 out of luck and spawns so nearly finished the mode. Playing it that way was OK, still like FrontLine better but I'll take back my initial crap assessment of SH mode, and say that with the missions it is an OK reasonably fun mode that is not too grindy.

Kicky92 #220 Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17193 battles
  • [EMRYS] EMRYS

Achieved rank 15 in solo's only. I have to say, I don't have a single complaint. Nothing to cry or moan about at all. 

Not a darn thing. 

Well done. GG WG. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users