We need skill based matchmaking

matchmaking skill servers personal rating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

Poll: We need skill based matchmaking (129 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you want a skill based matchmaking system?

1. Yes (40 votes [31.01%])

Percentage of vote: 31.01%

2. No (state why in the comments) (89 votes [68.99%])

Percentage of vote: 68.99%

Vote Hide poll

Kurat666 #41 Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32992 battles
  • [J1FTD] J1FTD

We all started at the same level. Why should SBMM help baddies while putting extra challenge to good ones? SBMM will never come, it is against the main selling point of this game. You get ranked battles for SBMM enjoyment, and CW skirmishes. I havent heard a lot of praises abour ranked and how enjoyable it is....

Chuwt #42 Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 50900 battles
No.

If the system of "Skill" based matchmaking was introduce, it would either work well or not. If it was not well done, it would probably make things worse, not better, than the current MM. If well done, it would mean almost everybody had a 50% win rate (OK, 49% to allow for draws), and the remainder would only depart from that due to statistical blips, as the system dragged them back to average. "Good" players would be punished by harder games, "poor" players rewarded by easier ones (great incentive to "improve"....?)

The other huge problem is to define "good"..I suspect OP defines himself as being that...but if it is just better stats, that can be affected by a number of factors, of which "skill" is only one...I really dont think anybody of any sense will deny that there are a lot of other things that can help your stats on the way, or hinder them, at least to some extent....do you really want the game to punish you for investing in a better computer?

DaniulSims #43 Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
No we don't, because on a long enough timeline everyone will get 49 to 51% WR, and the same clusterfuck we've got now would ensue - just that up until then it'll be more frustrating.

malachi6 #44 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:04 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51526 battles

View PostWarlockOPain, on 30 August 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

No. I play different MMO games and the difference is very large. When in other games, skilled players are divided more or less equally,

then here they usually ´´randomly´´ on the same team. It creates 3-4 minute games with the result 1-15, 2-15 etc.

I already established that for people it feels too random.  Ultimately, for random to be random the MM must balance out.

One-sided game are inevitable, all it takes is a localised gun superiority that can rapidly escalate.  The is a phenomenon used by actual commanders in battle.  It is known as oblique order and has been used by such commanders as Alexander the Great and Napoleon to great effect.  In a sense, the Spartans at Thermopylae did this by forcing the Persians to fight on a narrow front from mitigating their advantage in numbers.  A single extra gun in one location in WoT can lead to this phenomenon emerging naturally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_order

Edited by malachi6, 30 August 2020 - 11:05 AM.

trispect #45 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 37017 battles
  • [F2PAY] F2PAY

Who would unicums play against? They are <1% of the playerbase and on top of that matchmaker needs to match different classes.

Also SBMM wouldn’t solve the problem of landslide games.

BR33K1_PAWAH #46 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 10391 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttrispect, on 30 August 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

Who would unicums play against? They are <1% of the playerbase and on top of that matchmaker needs to match different classes.

They will have to queue for 20-30 minutes for a single battle to fill  :teethhappy:

ZlatanArKung #47 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View Posttrispect, on 30 August 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

Well, just other good players with similar rating. 

You just have to broaden the rating difference for players at top and bottom.

Edited by ZlatanArKung, 30 August 2020 - 11:27 AM.

rimmer_the #48 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3801 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 30 August 2020 - 07:24 AM, said:

Only skill enables a player to be good consistently. 

Partly false as constant use of gold, premium and food ups someone damage and performance consistenly also, enabling "almost good" players to fall into the "good" category consistenly. 

Oh and yes, please .Seperate Random into two modes-one only accesible up to yellow wn8, the other only to green 2n8 and above.  I will laugh at seeing those complaining now locked in the second mode and harassed by their team for being the new weaker link.:popcorn: 

Edited by rimmer_the, 30 August 2020 - 11:42 AM.

Gremlin182 #49 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66981 battles

If they added a skill based matchmaker with its own game mode then fine, just leave the rest of the game out of this madness.

Its true your team could become more skilled and reliable maybe they would even function as a team more often.

Trouble is so would the other team.

Once players discover their win rate dropping they will probably abandon the mode.

malachi6 #50 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51526 battles

View Postrimmer_the, on 30 August 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

Partly false as constant use of gold, premium and food ups someone damage and performance consistenly also, enabling "almost good" players to fall into the "good" category consistenly. 

Reminded me of the movie Moneyball where the objective was not to have the best team but the most consistent team.

RedSox04 #51 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37122 battles
  • [XT550] XT550
I imagine really good players would be terrified of a skill based mm. They would have teams full of similarly good players and they would not be able to farm the minions for stats purposes.

ZlatanArKung #52 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostRedSox04, on 30 August 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

I imagine really good players would be terrified of a skill based mm. They would have teams full of similarly good players and they would not be able to farm the minions for stats purposes.

So what? I don't see an issue here.

Pitulusu #53 Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10932 battles
so that's why "good" players are afraid... someone return his gold ammo from OP xxx farm tank will make him very unhappy... but...

_LongRangeSniper_ #54 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 41778 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostPitulusu, on 30 August 2020 - 10:55 AM, said:

so that's why "good" players are afraid... someone return his gold ammo from OP xxx farm tank will make him very unhappy... but...

As your recent winrate is very good, how much gold ammo do you use?

signature.png

Pitulusu #55 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10932 battles

View Post_LongRangeSniper_, on 30 August 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

As your recent winrate is very good, how much gold ammo do you use?

signature.png

i don't have credits, max 6 gold on a tank, on prems i dont take gold, i can't make credits spamming gold, my stats increased because i spaded all tanks that i play now, and i play higher tier. If i will buy a new tank now, the win rate will go down quick. crew untrained, no equipment, stock tank...

AzoreanOutkast #56 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13211 battles

The vote doesnt surprise me!

I voted yes, despite thinking the problem is much deeper and alot more stuff needs to change to have fairly balanced games.

As is, i dont care if i lose or win, i just play to grind, most battles i know if its gonna be a win or a lose 2 min into the battle, the maps, the MM, the RNG and the positions taken by my side all screams what the outcome is gonna be.

I basically play to grind to Tier X the tanks i wanna do that, sold all my premiuns and not playing alot, im farming damage every game to get XP that is all, stats mean nothing to me, my motivation is at an all time low.

MM is amazing sometimes, im getting like 1 good day of it and 6 bad ones per system, like i feel really bad when even shots i totally made a mistake hit the target everytime, and almost pull hairs when in others all my well aimed and prepared shots are ghost shells, fail to pen what it would pen regardless of where it hits, or simply have malfunctions of fire button, reload time, aim time, etc... RNG, RNG, suxs big time in this game!!!

A skill based system would help alot, but its not the solution in itself, and the unicorns dont want a fair fight, they want games were they get the noobs or the BOTS (yes alot of those in many matchs, ppl almost dont realize it, but they are there, and that says alot about the decrease of population in the game and the need to control the outcome of battles by the system installed, despite alot of WG lovers will come say its nonsense and made up), cause noobs and bots are easy picking... And they dont mind the ocasional game where they lose, i dont too, in fact, to be perfectly honest i make the most damage and sometimes XP in the losing matchs, cause i get to shoot at more targets and farm more cause my team suxed, unless its a RNG shitshow, on those, sometimes i can even fire 20 shots probrably 1 or 2 will pen and all others, will have weird events that will make then irrelevant, is like you are in a STRV 103B fully aimed and manage to miss a russian heavy on the far side of the map that is moving, but he on the other hand, fires on the move, without propper aim and pens you immediatly with a nice big high roll and takes your gun out, or ammoracks you... Yup so many times...

Private_Miros #57 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31053 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostPitulusu, on 30 August 2020 - 10:55 AM, said:

I always find this funny considering the main challenge is to adapt to your team mates and make the best of what the game throws at you. In terms of difficulty the game is a easy or difficult to you as to me as to a great player as to a bad player.

Skill based MM in terms of a ranked system would IMO be detrimental to gameplay for the following reasons, for average and above players:

1. it kills the variety and defaults each map to a standard approach even more than already the case

2. it would punish early mistakes even more and cause more walkovers

3. it would serve to enhance issues with tank balance, where either everyone just plays the most meta tanks - or rages at team mates who don't and therefor handicap their team - or games are simply 99% decided by the tanks each team gets.

4. It would severely diminish the number of battles that players view as good and therefore fun, increasing the number of totally meh and therefore boring battles. Remember, in a perfectly balanced MM your average damage per game is about 70% of the average HP of that tier, and about 0.7 kills/game.

saxsan4 #58 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 28469 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

so if i platooon with a 47% player and a 52% player do we get the easy or hard gorup? 

then you mm isnt now skill based

_LongRangeSniper_ #59 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 41778 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostPitulusu, on 30 August 2020 - 11:16 AM, said:

i don't have credits, max 6 gold on a tank, on prems i dont take gold, i can't make credits spamming gold, my stats increased because i spaded all tanks that i play now, and i play higher tier. If i will buy a new tank now, the win rate will go down quick. crew untrained, no equipment, stock tank...

That's amazing! You win without gold, and you worked through the grinds. 

I wonder if others have also taken this approach, and thanks to not having SBMM their grinds are faster than they would have been. 

Obviously if you're the only one who can win without gold on the EU server then you're very speshul.

Pitulusu #60 Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10932 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 30 August 2020 - 12:21 PM, said:

I always find this funny considering the main challenge is to adapt to your team mates and make the best of what the game throws at you. In terms of difficulty the game is a easy or difficult to you as to me as to a great player as to a bad player.

Skill based MM in terms of a ranked system would IMO be detrimental to gameplay for the following reasons, for average and above players:

1. it kills the variety and defaults each map to a standard approach even more than already the case

2. it would punish early mistakes even more and cause more walkovers

3. it would serve to enhance issues with tank balance, where either everyone just plays the most meta tanks - or rages at team mates who don't and therefor handicap their team - or games are simply 99% decided by the tanks each team gets.

4. It would severely diminish the number of battles that players view as good and therefore fun, increasing the number of totally meh and therefore boring battles. Remember, in a perfectly balanced MM your average damage per game is about 70% of the average HP of that tier, and about 0.7 kills/game.

1. it will not kill any variety, contrary.

2. better punishing me because i'm bad, than punishing me because half team is already dead after 1 and half minute of play.

3. no more than now, when unicums in they're T67 made T4-T6 unplayable. at least, against better players they are easy to counter.

4. ok, i understood, the unicum feel will disappear... but what about of the other 90% of playerbase which are encountering unicums every battle in they're xxx stock tank?

invite a friend , let him play alone and ask him about the great experience he had beeing always food for players with tenth of thousands battles. now we can't even move those idiot bino and camo from one tank to another...

Also tagged with matchmaking, skill, servers, personal rating

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users