• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Dwigt #21 Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• WG Staff
  • 2195 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCobra6, on 22 September 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

The title makes it sound like the invasion of Poland was a very good thing for the first half hour.....Perhaps rephrase that? :)

Cobra 6

The Finest Half Hours is the name of the series but I can see how sometimes the title can be controversial. We already reported it to our team. Of course we're not celebrating such tragic events.

But like I said it's the name of the podcast and it can be used for happier events like The Finest Half Hour: The Liberation of Paris for example.

What do you think the next podcast should talk about?

Miepie #22 Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 7418 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDwigt, on 22 September 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

Whether the finest half hour is half empty or half full. And what happened to the other half? Would the hour not be finer if it was whole again?

Misago #23 Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

View PostDwigt, on 22 September 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

The Finest Half Hours is the name of the series but I can see how sometimes the title can be controversial. We already reported it to our team. Of course we're not celebrating such tragic events.

But like I said it's the name of the podcast and it can be used for happier events like The Finest Half Hour: The Liberation of Paris for example.

The soviet invasion of poland and the molotov-ribbentrop-pact. Or maybe soviet invasion of finland

Dwigt #24 Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• WG Staff
  • 2195 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMisago, on 22 September 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

I guess this is not in russian/belarus history books. Everyone who works for wargaming is re-educated with "proper soviet history".

And if someone brings up US/Russia bad deeds, both sides can only say "YES BUT THE OTHERS DID IT TOO!!!!!"

Britain simply stays quite and no one notices a big crate with "colonial history" written on it.

Won't even start on china.

For what it is worth, I am glad the enlightened of my fellow germans don't hide from the country's history, learning about the crimes of its past and making sure it won't happen again. At least once the others collapse into war and chaos again, we will die with dignity.

That's me on my first day at WG!

Spoiler

View PostMiepie, on 22 September 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

Whether the finest half hour is half empty or half full. And what happened to the other half? Would the hour not be finer if it was whole again?

Half empty or half full! The point of this podcast is to remember historical events that shaped the course of history and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It's sad to see people at my age (27, there you go) or younger ignoring this important part of history! So why not use this opportunity to relive these moments through a podcast while you play the game!

And sure 1 hour would be even better but we kept the other half for you to fill it with your imagination! :)

Misago #25 Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

View PostDwigt, on 22 September 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

That's me on my first day at WG!

Spoiler

Half empty or half full! The point of this podcast is to remember historical events that shaped the course of history and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It's sad to see people at my age (27, there you go) or younger ignoring this important part of history! So why not use this opportunity to relive these moments through a podcast while you play the game!

And sure 1 hour would be even better but we kept the other half for you to fill it with your imagination! :)

I'll accept that once we see about how much propaganda the politburo head office crams into it.

grasho #26 Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 95076 battles
  • [1ETR] 1ETR

View PostMisago, on 22 September 2020 - 02:51 PM, said:

Britain simply stays quite and no one notices a big crate with "colonial history" written on it.

The problem with that argument is that Britain has a history of watching what the other European powers do, then doing it “better“.

The Spanish colonise Central America, the other European countries colonise North America.  The Brits finally win.

The Dutch fleet.  It gives the Netherlands a worldwide trade empire whilst soundly giving the Brits (well, English) a bloody nose.  The Brits finally destroy the Dutch fleet and create a bigger world trade empire.

The Dutch colonise the Cape.  The British create South Africa.  (As an aside, The Spanish invent concentration camps, the Brits do it bigger and “better” in South Africa.)

Europe rushes to colonise Africa, Britain colonises more.  (Although a special mention must be made of the Belgiums for their expertise in brutality.)

The Germans flatten Coventry.  The British burn down a lot of Germany...

If you tread on a Brit’s toes, the Brit will apologise.  If you tread on a Brit’s toes again, the Brit will apologise again.  If you tread on a Brit’s toes a third time, they’ll smash your face in. :teethhappy:

Edited by grasho, 22 September 2020 - 07:15 PM.

Misago #27 Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

View Postgrasho, on 22 September 2020 - 06:14 PM, said:

The problem with that argument is that Britain has a history of watching what the other European powers do, then doing it “better“.

The Spanish colonise Central America, the other European countries colonise North America.  The Brits finally win.

The Dutch fleet.  It gives the Netherlands a worldwide trade empire whilst soundly giving the Brits (well, English) a bloody nose.  The Brits finally destroy the Dutch fleet and create a bigger world trade empire.

The Dutch colonise the Cape.  The British create South Africa.  (As an aside, The Spanish invent concentration camps, the Brits do it bigger and “better” in South Africa.)

Europe rushes to colonise Africa, Britain colonises more.  (Although a special mention must be made of the Belgiums for their expertise in brutality.)

The Germans flatten Coventry.  The British burn down a lot of Germany...

If you tread on a Brit’s toes, the Brit will apologise.  If you tread on a Brit’s toes again, the Brit will apologise again.  If you tread on a Brit’s toes a third time, they’ll smash your face in. :teethhappy:

Again, "someone else also did it" is not an excuse.

grasho #28 Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 95076 battles
  • [1ETR] 1ETR

View PostMisago, on 22 September 2020 - 06:34 PM, said:

Again, "someone else also did it" is not an excuse.

I’m not saying it is. We help no one if we fail to be open and honest about the past, and learn from it.

You say no one mentions British colonialism: I’m a 50 year old Brit, and people haven’t shut-up about it for my entire life.  The “empire” is a huge influence on the British psyche, and we still struggle with it.  However, it had good points as well as bad points.  

Maybe that is the difference?

Three_Rounds_Rapid #29 Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50156 battles
  • [W__F] W__F

View PostDwigt, on 22 September 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

Katyn massacre seems like a good follow up to the Polish invasion podcast...

RockyRoller #30 Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:59 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 42888 battles
  • [KITN] KITN

View PostDwigt, on 22 September 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

There are two groups of soldiers often forgotten and even slandered ''the D-Day Dodgers'.

1) The British soldiers who were fighting in North Africa and into Italy.

2) Not Just the British, but the Australians and rest of the Commonwealth who fought the Imperial Japanese Army.

BTW why did''t the USSR attack the Japanese in China until after the 3rd R fell? Didn't they like the Chinese Communists Party?

Gremlin182 #31 Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 69106 battles

European wars were complex and go back many hundreds of years.

Aside from the title the podcast was pretty accurate in laying out the facts of case white.

When Germany invaded Poland from the west the Soviet forces did the same from the east.

Don't forget although at one time the Polish empire was quite extensive it had ceased to exist..

The Territory was Held by Germany Austria and Russia, It was recreated after WW1 and I doubt the former owners of the territory were happy about it.

Carving up territory occupied by one country and giving it to another seldom works.

faetont #32 Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:23 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51319 battles

I find the name of this podcast pretty silly. English is not my first language, but I strongly associate the phrase "The finest hour" with the famous speech by Winston Churchill delivered after the fall of France. In my opinion one of the best lines ever written in English language. When I heard "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and Commonwealth lasts for a thousand years, men will still say 'THis was their finest hour'". At this moment I'm ready to grab my gun and defend the British Empire :-)

So, the phrase "The Finest Half Hour" should somehow relates to it, but it just turns out to be case of shallow marketing :-) Especially in the context of Invasion of Poland.

grasho #33 Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 95076 battles
  • [1ETR] 1ETR

View PostRockyRoller, on 22 September 2020 - 10:59 PM, said

BTW why did''t the USSR attack the Japanese in China until after the 3rd R fell? Didn't they like the Chinese Communists Party?

It was all very complex.  The various alliances meant Japan didn’t have to fight all of Germany’s enemies, and the USSR did not have to fight all of the US and UK’s enemy.

Hitler didn’t have to declare war on the US, the UK almost declared war on the USSR in 1939/40, Yugoslavia could have supported either side, Romania wanted to stay put of the war, Italy didn’t want to be overshadowed by Germany, and the French both fought and supported everyone :facepalm:

Luckily, because Japan and the USSR didn’t want to fight each other, the Soviets were able to move 40 (I think) divisions from the far east (equipped with a large percentage of British-made tanks) and into the 1941 Moscow offensive, sowing the seeds for the eventual destruction of the Third Reich.

Simona2k #34 Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5510 battles
  • [FOXZA] FOXZA
Nice

Dwigt #35 Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• WG Staff
  • 2195 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postgrasho, on 23 September 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

It was all very complex.  The various alliances meant Japan didn’t have to fight all of Germany’s enemies, and the USSR did not have to fight all of the US and UK’s enemy.

Hitler didn’t have to declare war on the US, the UK almost declared war on the USSR in 1939/40, Yugoslavia could have supported either side, Romania wanted to stay put of the war, Italy didn’t want to be overshadowed by Germany, and the French both fought and supported everyone :facepalm:

Luckily, because Japan and the USSR didn’t want to fight each other, the Soviets were able to move 40 (I think) divisions from the far east (equipped with a large percentage of British-made tanks) and into the 1941 Moscow offensive, sowing the seeds for the eventual destruction of the Third Reich.

View PostRockyRoller, on 22 September 2020 - 11:59 PM, said:

May I also add to what grasho said that the USSR were mainly focused on their western front and couldn't afford any losses to the Germans. Same goes for the Japanese and their plans to expand in the Pacific and South East Asia. Fighting each other was not beneficial or even doable due to the vast lands and hard geographical and logistical limitations. 

The US and the USSR were also preparing to what's coming after the war. Which also explains why the US needed to win the Pacific war at all costs so it doesn't fall to the Communist bloc. 

Misago #36 Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

View PostDwigt, on 23 September 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

May I also add to what grasho said that the USSR were mainly focused on their western front and couldn't afford any losses to the Germans. Same goes for the Japanese and their plans to expand in the Pacific and South East Asia. Fighting each other was not beneficial or even doable due to the vast lands and hard geographical and logistical limitations. 

The US and the USSR were also preparing to what's coming after the war. Which also explains why the US needed to win the Pacific war at all costs so it doesn't fall to the Communist bloc. 

Well, japan was allied with germany, and USSR was too when the war started so... (Well, a cooperative pact, to be exact, but still)

Edited by Misago, 23 September 2020 - 09:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users