WoT Causes my Laptop to Restart

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Thebloody #1 Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

Edit: I have discovered that the issue only takes place when I am running the laptop on AC power (playing on battery is fine). For more information, read the OP and my replies in the topic.

Greetings, fellow tankers! I will do my best to be as concise and detailed as possible.

My problem is the following: WoT restarts my laptop. It usually happens as soon as I start the game, but it can sometimes take several minutes, and I even managed to play a couple of games in one instance. I know that I am not the only person who has had this issue (in fact, I had it happen to me back in August 2018, and I will provide some details about that), but I have yet to find a working solution.

In this ‘report’, I will give information about my system and the things I have tried. In addition, I will share my thoughts on what could be causing the problem, and I will submit a ticket to WG with attached reports and a link to this topic. Troll suggestions such as ‘buy a new device’, ‘stop playing WoT’, ‘play on low settings’, etc. are not desirabledo not waste your time and stop reading now if you think you will not be able to help.

My device: 

MSI GT83VR 6RE Titan SLI (bought in 2016) running on Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004 (Build 19041.508)

Intel Core i7-6820HK CPU

2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 SLI

64 GB RAM

This is a genuine copy of Windows that I bought last week as I wanted to upgrade from Home to Pro. I performed a clean installation, and I am using the latest drivers.

Background story: I have been playing WoT on this laptop (on maximum graphics) ever since I bought it 4 years ago. Due to time constraints, I sometimes go on for months without playing, but when I do, I often spend over 8 hours in one session, and my device is perfectly fine. The last time I played was in late January/early February this year during the ‘Team Clash’ event. I had no issues whatsoever.

What happened in August 2018?

I decided to connect my laptop to my 2560x1440 monitor, which caused my laptop to reboot. I tried a lot of things, but to no avail. WG player support advised me that my external monitor did not support 2560x1440. After I explained that my monitor was indeed a QHD one and informed them that I could play on my PC at 2560x1440 and on my laptop at 1920x1080 resolution, respectively, with no issues, I was told to turn off my SLI, and my ticket was closed as the issue was ‘not from the game’. Self-evidently, this did not fix anything, and I simply continued playing on my laptop without attaching it to an external monitorbut with one small detail. I could no longer set my anti-aliasing to ‘Ultra’; it was set to ‘High’, and the rest of the options were greyed out. Naturally, I was annoyed, but even reinstalling the game did not help, so I shrugged it off. Others (with a single GTX 1080 and with 2x GTX 1070, like me) have had the same problem as well: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/597617-why-cant-i-select-ultra-antialiasing-in-game/.

What happened last week?

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and installed the latest drivers, a few programs and WoT. Ever since then, the game keeps restarting my laptop.

What have I tried?

1. I ran several stress tests and benchmarks. I used FurMark, Prime95, OCCT; I also ran IPDTmy hardware is in perfect working condition. When people hear that a device reboots, they often blame it on the PSU. Again, my adapters, my battery, my SSD, my RAM (I read that this could be an issue as well: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/608872-world-of-tanks-restarting-computer-in-garage/), etc… Everything is fine! Moreover, I am unable to reproduce this problem in any other game or application (and I have had gaming sessions of over 8, sometimes even 12 hours—as I mentioned, the last time I did this was in February, with no issues).

1. Several people (including the person with the RAM issues I mentioned in 1.) talk about problems with the power settings. I set my power plan to ‘High performance’; I even set ‘Minimum processor state’ on battery to 100% (although I never run my laptop on battery). Finally, I disabled Speed Step Technology from the BIOS.

1. I reset the BIOS.

1. I uninstalled my GPU drivers using DDU.

1. I repaired and then reinstalled WoT. I tried to run the game with default settings, and I also tried running it in safe mode (although I have never used mods). I started deleting the contents of the WorldOfTanks folder in %appdata%Roaming/Wargaming.net after each crash while I was trying out new ‘fixes’.

1. I set my anti-aliasing to ‘High’ (‘Ultra’ is available again, but that’s how I played after the issues I had in August 2018, so I thought it could help), but to no avail. I even turned it off completely. Nothing.

1. I configured my drivers using the official guide for SLI Mode for Nvidia (published by Wargaming!): https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/15180/. Nothing changed.

1. I tried using this player’s Nvidia SLI profile: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/684422-working-nvidia-sli-profile-for-update-11/.

1. I disabled SLI completely! My laptop still reboots.

1. Several people that have experienced the same issues have fixed them after reinstalling their audio drivers: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/669125-game-keeps-crashing-to-desktop-more-and-more/page__st__20#topmost%20ot%2030%20june. I uninstalled Nahimic (which is known to cause issueshttp://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/689284-ok-im-done-game-still-crashing-randomly-tried-everything-uninstall-it-lose-23-days-of-premium-and-i-will-not-buy-the-warhammer-kv-2-as-planed/page__st__20), uninstalled my Realtek HD Audio drivers and let Windows download the latest ones. Nothing changed!

1. I tried running both the client and the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7 (as an administrator).

1. I reset my BIOS again, performed another clean install of Windows 10 Pro, installed the latest drivers, did NOT install MSI Dragon Center and Nahimic… And WoT still causes my laptop to reboot.

List of programs/drivers that I currently have:

Drivers that I have installed manually (the rest, such as Realtek HD AD 6.0.1.8328 and Microsoft Visual C++, were automatically installed by Windows): Intel Management Engine Components, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Nvidia Drivers, the official Bluetooth (Qualcomm Atheros), Thunderbolt, Radio Switch, Synaptics (touchpad) and WLAN drivers provided by MSI.

Programs: Auslogics BoostSpeed 11.5.0.1 (I only use it and CCleaner to delete cookies and unwanted files and to control the start-up of programsI have NOT modified the registry in any way, and I have NOT applied any tweaks to Windows, although I usually apply some of them manually), Avast Free Antivirus, CCleaner 5.72, Discord, Google Chrome, Google Earth Pro, Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneDrive and Teams (although I have disabled them), MSI Afterburner 4.6.2, Razer Synapse 2.21.24.34 for my Razer Naga, Spybot Anti-Beacon 3.5, Steam, SteelSeries Engine 3.18.6 (this program has been known to cause issues: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/669125-game-keeps-crashing-to-desktop-more-and-more/page__st__40#topmost, http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/683830-wywalanie-do-pulpitu-here-we-go-again/page__pid__16122273#entry16122273%20SS3, but I disabled it completely and nothing changed; admittedly, I did not uninstall it, but I highly doubt this is the problem), Viber 13.9.0.18, WinRar 5.91, WG Game Center, and last but not least, World of Tanks. :izmena:

What could be the cause of this issue? Thoughts, wild and educated guesses:

I have been using all of the aforementioned programs for years, and I have never had any problems with them. Granted, a new update (either of World of Tanks or of any of these pieces of software) might have bugged something, and if that is the case, then the possible culprits could be narrowed down to those updates that have been released between February and October this year as I had no issues playing in January/February (apart from having my anti-aliasing set to ‘High’ due to ‘Maximum’ and ‘Ultra’ being greyed out).

Speaking of anti-aliasing, Wargaming recommend disabling certain anti-aliasing features, viz. gamma correction and transparency (https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/15180/) in order to run the game on SLI. Perhaps this has something to do with my issue, but their suggestion did not help me at all. Furthermore, I had previously never changed any of these settings, and my game was working just fine (on ‘Ultra’ prior to the incident that took place in August 2018, and on ‘High’ after that). Moreover, my laptop still resets even if I disable SLI completely.

I noticed that most players who have at some point experienced this problem own either an MSI motherboard or an MSI laptop. Many of them also run 2 video cards in SLI, but based on the previous paragraph, this might be a mere coincidence. Nevertheless, there seem to be issues with certain sound drivers (i.e. Realtek and Nahimic), so this time I did not install Nahimic at all and let Windows update the Realtek HD drivers automatically, but to no avail.

Some people report that SteelSeries Engine 3.x.x could cause the reboots, however, disabling it did nothing in my case. Perhaps I should have uninstalled it completely (and I am making a fool of myself right now:ohmy:), but I am highly sceptical that this will make any difference.

I remember that many Battlefield players had an issue with DirectX 12 and were trying to disable it as their games were crashing. Unfortunately, WoT does not support DX 12, but my laptop could be trying to run it in DX 12 mode, hence the reboots. I acknowledge this sounds far-fetched, but I am running out of ideas, and even the developers admit that the game is optimised with ancient PCs in mind (https://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-tanks/dxr-windows-10-dx12-ray-tracing).

I could continue with the guesses, but I am getting tired, and probably so are you. To those who read the whole postthank you for your time!

Edited by Thebloody, 16 January 2021 - 05:52 AM.

jack_timber #2 Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 48815 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A wild guess, overheating?

Try MSI afterburner to monitor temps.

GL

Thebloody #3 Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:51 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

View Postjack_timber, on 08 October 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

GL

Hi! Thank you for trying to help.

As I mentioned in the post, I ran several stress tests and benchmarks. Although I have not repasted my CPU/GPUs since I bought the laptop back in 2016 (I'll do it next week), my temperatures never went past 60°C, and I was pushing the CPU and the GPUs to 100% for over an hour. There is absolutely no way my laptop could be overheating.

Edited by Thebloody, 09 October 2020 - 12:54 AM.

Thebloody #4 Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

Other things I tried today:
1. I completely uninstalled SteelSeries Engine 3 and uninstalled my keyboard from Device Manager. This didn't help.

2. I tried running the game in 32 bit mode.

3. I tried disabling SLI again, but this time I decided to dedicate a video card to PhysX. I tried with both cards, but to no avail.

4. I tried renaming a certain file in the SSE3 folder, but I don't even have it (http://forum.worldof...3#entry16286583).

5. I disabled WargamingErrorMonitor.exe (https://forum.webseo...rorm-t3842.html).

6. I turned off the sound of the game.

7. I ended the 'Realtek HD Audio Manager' task before running the game.

8. I started the game from World_of_Tanks_EU\win64\WorldOfTanks.exe.

What I could still try:

1. Uninstalling the Nvidia audio drivers (http://forum.worldof..._st__40#topmost).

2. Uninstalling the Synaptics Pointing Device.

3. Uninstalling Razer Synapse. 

4. Uninstalling Viber (?!) (again: http://forum.worldof..._st__40#topmost).

Edited by Thebloody, 09 October 2020 - 03:22 AM.

Homer_J #5 Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

Field Marshal

• 34539 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjack_timber, on 08 October 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

GL

That would have been my first guess.

Maybe memory fault.

If it was a desktop I would be looking at the power supply too.

Does it blue screen or just shut off and restart?

Thebloody #6 Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:15 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

What I tried today:

1. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, Windows System File Checker, and Windows DSIM. I checked my SSD's condition with CrystalDiskInfo. Everything is fine.

2. I uninstalled Auslogics BoostSpeed 11, MSI Afterburner, and CCleaner. The issue still persists. 

3. I turned off (without uninstalling) Razer Synapse.

4. I sent new reports to customer support.

The laptop just reboots without any errors or blue screens of death.

Edited by Thebloody, 10 October 2020 - 04:15 AM.

Thebloody #7 Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

What I tried today:

1. By Homer_J's suggestion, I disabled the automatic restart after a system failure from the 'Start-up and Recovery options'. When restarts are disabled, the game simply freezes, and there is no BSOD, so you have to press down the power button in order to turn off the device. 

2. I tried disabling (not uninstalling) all of the devices under 'Sound, video and game controllers' in Device Manager. I have 4 devices: NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), Realtek High Definition Audio, and Xtreme Audio DAC. I rebooted the laptop, and when it turned on, there was (obviously) no sound. I started the game, disabled sound from the in-game menu, the game restarted, and then my laptop restarted 10-15 seconds after I entered the garage. 

I still think one of the most likely reasons for this problem is an issue with the sound drivers as quite a few people have experienced the same issue. I might try this in the following days: http://forum.worldof...ashes/#topmost.

3. I played Age of Empires II Definitive Edition for about 3 hours with no issues whatsoever, and as soon as I logged into WoT, my laptop rebooted. 

MeetriX #8 Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31272 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE
Is it rebooting only on garage, not in battle?

Thebloody #9 Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 11 October 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

Is it rebooting only on garage, not in battle?

Well, it reboots so fast that I don't have time to play. I haven't counted how long it usually takes, but it's probably something like this:

Reboots while in garage, 5-15 seconds after logging in: 50% of the time.

Reboots while in garage, 15-45 seconds after logging in: 30% of the time.

Reboots while in garage, about a minute after logging in: 15% of the time.

Reboots right after I clicked 'battle': once.

Managed to play 1 game: once.

Managed to play 2 games: once.

You raise a good point, though. Perhaps if I start spamming 'battle' as soon as I log in, then I could see if it reboots during battles or simply in the garage.

I'm still inclined to believe it has something to do with the issue explained here: http://forum.worldof...ashes/#topmost. I will try to test this tonight or tomorrow.

MeetriX #10 Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 31272 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

I do not have crash problem, but I do get awfully often disconnected in a garage if I have headphones plugged.

When it happens it can go for hours.

1st login. 6 seconds and relogins 13 seconds.

It is weird how constant it is.

Thebloody #11 Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 11 October 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

I do not have crash problem, but I do get awfully often disconnected in a garage if I have headphones plugged.

When it happens it can go for hours.

1st login. 6 seconds and relogins 13 seconds.

It is weird how constant it is.

I am almost certain that it has something to do with the audio drivers. Even WG support has told this to others who have had this issue. Sometimes it's fixed by disabling/uninstalling certain devices/drivers. In one case, the person who was experiencing this problem bought a dedicated sound card. A half-assed idea that sometimes works is disabling your SLI. When I got the issue two years ago, I was trying to connect my laptop to an external monitor via HDMI... As X32Wright explains, 'Your WOT client would be much more stable.  It might still crash but not as often.  The problem stems from sharing the same bus (IRQ in fact) hence they interrupt each other.  The reason is most video cards today do have their own audio device built-in for HDMI output.'. It all clicks. I will try to do more tests tonight.

What I did today:

1. I was quite busy, so I only had time for one test: I disabled one of my High Definition Audio Controllers (the first one as I have no sound when I disable the second one). The game still caused my laptop to restart.

Edited by Thebloody, 12 October 2020 - 04:00 PM.

Thebloody #12 Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

This time I disabled the first High Definition Audio Controller (which automatically disabled NVIDIA High Definition Audio) and managed to play one game before my laptop restarted. Then I disabled NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), Xtreme Audio DAC, and Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) from 'Audio inputs and outputs'. I played a very short game as I died in just a few minutes, and my laptop rebooted while in the garage. 

I also checked for IRQ conflicts, but I couldn't find any.

Edited by Thebloody, 13 October 2020 - 10:39 PM.

MeetriX #13 Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 31272 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

Wild quess as always.

Is there an automatic OC on GPU?

Thebloody #14 Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

View PostMeetriX, on 13 October 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

Wild quess as always.

Is there an automatic OC on GPU?

No, I don't think so. I reset the bios and did a clean install of Windows... I haven't overclocked anything. 

I am going to try completely removing the Realtek HDA drivers today, using an older version (one that 100% worked for me a few years ago) and also using the latest version I can find online.

Edited by Thebloody, 13 October 2020 - 05:56 PM.

Thebloody #15 Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

I updated my Realtek HDA drivers to 6.0.8978.1, which is one of the latest versions (I found it here: https://www.tenforum...ersion-2-a.html), but the laptop still resets.

I also tried disabling Realtek HDA completely (I have no sound), and the issue still persists.

Edited by Thebloody, 14 October 2020 - 03:04 AM.

Thebloody #16 Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles
Today I updated my Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (x64) and (x86) to 14.27.29016.0, but my laptop still restarts.

Thebloody #17 Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

Today I uninstalled the game and installed it on my HDD, but it still causes my laptop to restart. I tried safe mode, the SD client, launching with default settings and turning SLI off for the seventh or eighth time. I also tried enabling Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling, but to no avail.

At least now I am 100% sure my SSD is fine.

Edited by Thebloody, 16 October 2020 - 02:39 AM.

Homer_J #18 Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:07 AM

Field Marshal

• 34539 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThebloody, on 10 October 2020 - 04:15 AM, said:

What I tried today:

1. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic,

Did you just run the standard test or extended mode?

If you only ran the standard one then try the extended mode.

https://www.windowsc...lems-windows-10

Thebloody #19 Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7947 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 16 October 2020 - 03:07 AM, said:

Did you just run the standard test or extended mode?

If you only ran the standard one then try the extended mode.

https://www.windowsc...lems-windows-10

I don't remember. I think I ran the extended one, but I'll try it again.

However, thanks to MeetriX, I've been paying more attention to what exactly is happening in game when my laptop reboots. Granted, I don't get to play many battles due to obvious reasons, but I have never experienced this issue during a battle. X32Wright told me I should try watching replays, and so did I; no issues whatsoever.

I am starting to think that there is something in the garage the triggers the reboots—perhaps a certain sound file, but if that was the case, why does my laptop still reboot even if I have disabled all audio device and even SLI? Could it be a pop-up for the anniversary/Halloween event? Perhaps something that hinders the connection to the server, i.e. internet connection issues... But why doesn't that happen during battles?

Edited by Thebloody, 16 October 2020 - 11:57 AM.

Homer_J #20 Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

Field Marshal

• 34539 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostThebloody, on 16 October 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

I am starting to think that there is something in the garage the triggers the reboots—perhaps a certain sound file, but if that was the case, why does my laptop still reboot even if I have disabled all audio device

Disabling a sound device in sound control panel won't disable the driver and it won't stop the game trying to play the sound.

Try turning off all sounds in game.  It helped people with long loading times a while back.

I still think you are looking for a too complex solution.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users