WoT Version Manager - Play old replays, save space!

replay version version manager old replays

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Noobkiller3759 #1 Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22009 battles

World of Tanks Version Manager is a free tool to archive and manage your older WoT versions. It can save up to 75 % of space used by World of Tanks clients.

Unable to play a replay because of a micropatch? Not anymore! Save the correct WoT version with just one click and use it to play a replay any time. Just run Version Manager after WoT updates and you'll always be able to play any replay. You can also import older versions, if you have them.

How does it work?

You open WoT Version Manager, import your WoT client and that's it! When you import a World of Tanks client of any version, Version Manager compares its files to other versions you have imported previously.
Different files get saved into Version Manager's directory and a new game folder is created for your imported version.

Thanks to this, saved versions are usually just a couple of gigabytes large and you save space on your hard drive!

How to use

1. Make sure you have enough space on your disk. This application will copy WoT client files to a new location, so you need to have at least 40 GB of free space.
  2. Go to "Import game client" and select one of the WoT client directories. You can also select your main client.
  3. Start the import process and wait until it's completed. This process might take up to 30 minutes.
  4. Once the import finishes, go to "Overview" and verify that the imported version works (you can also play a replay through the "Replays" tab).
  5. If everything works, you can delete the old client directory. It is now saved inside WoT Version Manager. (Do not delete your main WoT client.)
  6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 for every WoT version you have.

How can I play older replays?

Using the "Replays" tab, you can select any replay to display its details. If you have a matching game version imported, you can also play the replay using the correct client.

You need to have the correct version imported before you can play the replay. But if you remember to click the Import button after every WoT update, all your clients will be saved and you can play replays any time!

How much space does it actually save?

Comparison of saving World of Tanks 1.10.0.1 HD, World of Tanks 1.10.0.2 HD, World of Tanks 1.10.0.4 HD:

• Saving three folders separately: 50.7 GB + 50.9 GB + 52.6 GB = 154.2 GB
  • With Version Manager: 50.7 GB + 0.9 GB + 1.9 GB = 53.5 GB

In this particular case, Version Manager saved you 100.7 GB. Don't believe? Download it and try for yourself!

Note: When you import a client and check its size through File Explorer, it's exactly the same as before importing. WoT Version Manager uses file system hard links to share files across all WoT directories,

so even though it seems that an imported WoT directory is very large, it actually doesn't occupy any space. You can verify this easily by checking free space on your drive, deleting the imported game directory, then checking the space on your drive again - it won't change. If you actually want to delete the game files, use the Delete button inside WoT Version Manager.

Note 2: If you delete your imported game folder, you can create it again by using the Verify Integrity button in Version Manager.

Download

Download: MediaFire | VirusTotal Scan

This tool is completely open source: GitHub

Screenshots

Q&A

Here I'll post the most common questions and answers.

• How do I delete a version when I don't need it anymore?
    • Use the big red DELETE button in Overview. Do not delete the imported game directory directly from file explorer, it will not free up any space. Go ahead, try it! ;)

• I accidentally deleted/damaged my imported WoT version. Can I fix it?
    • Yes, use the Verify Integrity button in Overview. It will recreate the directory exactly as it was when you first imported it (but without mods).

• Why does it take so much time to import a game version?
    • When you import a version, a lot of components start working in the background. First, Version Manager analyzes all files in the game directory and finds unique files. Then, it copies those files inside its directory and saves them. In the end, it creates a new World of Tanks directory using common files for all versions and unique files for this version. The HD version of World of Tanks is often more than 50 GB, so it takes quite some time to process it. Let it run in the background and it will tell you when it's done.

• Can I use mods with imported versions?
    • Sure! You can check "Import with mods" during import, but if you forget, just go to Overview, click "Open folder" and place your mods in the imported World of Tanks folder as usual.

If you have any other questions or suggestions, leave them under this post. You can also find me on the official World of Tanks EU Discord.

Credits

Jacubus - author of the WoT Version Manager icon

Edited by Noobkiller3759, 17 October 2020 - 08:10 PM.

Forcellrus #2 Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:19 PM

Discord Housekeeper

• 16939 battles
  • [DSCRD] DSCRD
Awesome work, as always! I'm sure this will help many people.

RaJCeL #3 Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

Major

• Player
  • 28349 battles
  • [ULEW] ULEW
I will not use it personally, but sounds very useful for YouTube videos makers :) +1 like for you!

Synop_s #4 Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Community Contributor
  • 42173 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
That's actually very useful. Big thumb up for your work ;)

Edited by Synop_s, 17 October 2020 - 05:46 PM.

Jacubus #5 Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18427 battles
Managing all the different WoT versions will now be easier. Thanks

grumpf44 #6 Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15130 battles
  • [_CDC_] _CDC_

WOW !!!

Thanks a lot, this is going to be usefull for a lot of people, not only for the replays but also for the modders if it allows an access to the old "res" folders and to the related pkg files (I saved the 3D files of the SturmTiger but not the main script :facepalm:... ) .

But this is in english and can be a pain in the *ss for non-english speakers. Is there a lang file (I havn't yet downloaded and I 'll not do before some days), do you need translators? Are you going to open a call for translators?

Edited by grumpf44, 17 October 2020 - 06:18 PM.

Noobkiller3759 #7 Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22009 battles

View Postgrumpf44, on 17 October 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

WOW !!!

Thanks a lot, this is going to be usefull for a lot of people, not only for the replays but also for the modders...

But this is in english and can be a pain in the *ss for non-english speakers. Is there a lang file (I havn't yet downloaded and I 'll not do before some days), do you need translators? Are you going to open a call for translators?

There is no language file as of yet, but I'm open to adding it in the future. I want to see if people actually like it and use it, and if they do, I can expand it. 

BlablaPaige #8 Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

General

• Clan Commander
  • 21166 battles
  • [N00T] N00T
I wish I had that few years ago :mellow:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users