T28 Prot. Still Playable ? Has anyone played this vehicle recently ?

T28 T28 Prot. T28 Prototype TD USA TD Turreted TD

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

trefferlage #101 Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7332 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 23 October 2020 - 03:44 PM, said:

Alright, some of this will be repetition from earlier on in the thread, but I've clarify a couple of things above. Video I made from when I did the "grind" through the tank if you want the long version of my setup at the time. This time it will be similar except MFA -> AFA after nerfs to MFA and vents -> IRM. 

Above video is old, I am not suggesting this as a guide these days, I don't know how it will go, this vid is just to show my crew etc. 

Here's what I'll do. Next couple of WoT play sessions I have , I'll play the prot. I'll upload all replays, good or bad, to WoT replays so people can see them. I'll put this in a new thread as there are currently multiple threads trying to tell me my poor old Prot is past its best. I'll include session stats for quick reference. After I've played it a bit, I'll give a verdict. Not enough for a proper review, but enough for an impression.

Sound alright to you?

You mentioned it yourself : like the t28 rpoto your vid is OUTDATED .. please.. use it NOW and not fully packed with everything u can get hand on :-) it is simply outclassed in every matter, in EVERY and is depending ONLY on the team and the map... and and not to forget RNG steamrollover decisions ;-).. so play it , have fun, but it is an awful POS nowadays.. and if u see how this even is taking out a proto side by side ..lol.. so, play have fun if u like a waiting for the opportunity game .  nobody is telling u : don t play.. enjoy and be happy.. and noot to forget : have fun ;-)

lord_chipmonk #102 Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Post13_BlackCat, on 24 October 2020 - 03:23 AM, said:

There is really no need Bro,

just because you can make it work in a few battles, does not mean that it is a good TD.

Oh I know, but I now kinda want to take the old girl out for a spin and see if she's still packing. Best case scenario, the tank still performs and at the very least I can provide some up to date gameplay and advice on how to play the tank in today's game that those who are struggling with it might find useful. :)

View Posttrefferlage, on 24 October 2020 - 05:22 AM, said:

You mentioned it yourself : like the t28 rpoto your vid is OUTDATED .. please.. use it NOW and not fully packed with everything u can get hand on :-) it is simply outclassed in every matter, in EVERY and is depending ONLY on the team and the map... and and not to forget RNG steamrollover decisions ;-).. so play it , have fun, but it is an awful POS nowadays.. and if u see how this even is taking out a proto side by side ..lol.. so, play have fun if u like a waiting for the opportunity game .  nobody is telling u : don t play.. enjoy and be happy.. and noot to forget : have fun ;-)

At the risk of repeating myself, the vid was only included to show my crew, equipment etc. and show that the tank isn't tricked out with every conceivable advantage. It's a tank I ground through, with the crew that did the grinding and a (hopefully) sensible equipment setup.

As a point of interest, the win rate of the tank seems to be bang in the middle of all tier 8 TDs, suggesting it is doing fine for the community as a whole and probably not a "POS" that "is depending ONLY on the team and the map". Just a thought, link below (filter for tier 8, TD and order by win rate):

https://www.noobmeter.com/tankStats/eu

lord_chipmonk #103 Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Ok, screw it, I'll put results here. CBA with a fresh thread.

So far, played a mighty 4 matches, and difficult to draw too many conclusions as the teams were dreadful. Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Regardless of where I went, everyone exploded and I got surrounded and killed. However, given the dodgy circumstances the tank itself did fine. Gun put holes in whatever I pointed it at, armour stood up fairly well. Can't really complain about the tank. Main problem was that as it is slow, once you're going somewhere you are kinda committed. Given the dreadful teams, the results could have been worse. 

Session stats (averages, win rate 0%)

Damage 1220.25
Assist 210.25
D+A 1430.75
Kills 0.5
Blocked 1022.5

Games:

http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590289#stats

http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590292#stats

http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590293#stats

http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590294#stats

KillingJoker #104 Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45473 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 24 October 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

So far, played a mighty 4 matches, and difficult to draw too many conclusions as the teams were dreadful. Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Regardless of where I went, everyone exploded and I got surrounded and killed. However, given the dodgy circumstances the tank itself did fine. Gun put holes in whatever I pointed it at, armour stood up fairly well. Can't really complain about the tank. Main problem was that as it is slow, once you're going somewhere you are kinda committed. Given the dreadful teams, the results could have been worse. 

Damage 1220.25
Assist 210.25
D+A 1430.75
Kills 0.5
Blocked 1022.5

Games:

Here's my 5 cents about those replays:

Erlenberg
primal mistake - You don't have defined strategy.
your aproaching a IX mm initially trying to support heavies, but not knowing what position to take...
in consequence of that you were not usefull to your team in anything...
you go forward and then you go back.. then go forward again.

by the time you decide to go forward again the result is 4-2 and 2 of your heavies are dead without you firing a single time to support...
you had many options, you could either support the corridor, by peaking and shoting to supress fire
or try to surprise enemy heavies trying to cross the bridge using the houses as cover...
the T-28 prot.. works very well in corners, the gun aims fairly quickly and you can peakaboo very well and get away with it.

When you decided to go forward again it was allready too late to help and because of that lost an oportunity from supporting from far... making way more harder to penetrate your armor and doing the same amount of damage to the enemy but reducing the damage you would take. 

the T-28 prot should ideally be played near some rock, slopes or some building, never in the open...
the armor is there to help you to escape from peaking shots so ocasionaly you shot the enemy for free
going inside of a corridor with 3 heavies shoting at your and angling your armor is even a bigger mistake...

Perl River
Here you seem to have a clear idea what you want to do..
but you make a wrong decision in my opinion.

The ideal place to go with the T-28 prot is the middle, not only because none of the heavies went to the right side of the map, but also because the middle is an area with more density...where you can fall back to reload and avoid enemy fire, plus if you win the middle, you can farm more damage in case your team is winning, because if you go either left or right, even if your team is winning, most of the time what will happen is that your low top speed will result in you being out of the fight for a long time.

Since you went right alone (never do that with any slow tank...) you died almost for free

So, again... the T-28 prot, requires thinking before the game start, reading the map, the enemy line up and specially knowing where to go is KEY

Muruvanka replay
You take a position that i wouldn't even dare to use with any heavy... even less a T-28 Prot
that position you went, is one of the worse possible positions for any slow heavy...
You are extremely exposed there... they can fire get spoted, fall back, then get unspoted
and fire at you again, and if they are good players they wont even be Spoted...

never go there even with heavies... imo the right play would be to take the typical TD slope at C1 or in alternative near the tower in the middle slope...

your playing an open map, there is no arty, but they have 6 Td's...
lots of firepower, and you just went right in front of their favourite place in that map!

By the time you realized you made a mistake you had allready lost half of your HP when trying to fall back...

LakeVille, 

The only replay where you take a position i consider right, and i would probably do the same, not your fault that most of your team went into the valley...

you had no other chance than die after commit to that flank.

So whats the problem of the T-28 prot? low mobility... it only does 28kph, that's it...
its armor is ok, the gun is great, the dpm is great, the penetration is tier X level

You have all that... and one major flaw, mobility...

that means you can't mess around not knowing what to do, because that will make you waste time
and more importantly you will be one less in your team

in tier VIII, 400 alpha is significant damage, specially in a tank that gets 2500 base dpm

to put into perspective a T34 have 1600 base dpm with 400 alpha... thats a 14 second reload time
and its not like the T34 is fast or its armor is great, and the gun handling is ridiculously worse compared to a T-28 prot.

So... its all about the gun, you have to make the gun work, that means being well positioned, preddict things, where to be...reading map and line up is key.

lord_chipmonk #105 Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostKillingJoker, on 25 October 2020 - 01:14 AM, said:

Here's my 5 cents about those replays:

Erlenberg

My initial idea was to support the Conq, but be seemed to be getting himself into a crossfire, so I backed away and then the indecision begins.

Perl River

Fair enough. I've played the new Pearl River maybe twice and have basically no idea what I'm doing on the map. Previously, teams have only sent a tank or two to the bridge side, so I thought I'd be alright. Turns out not.

Muruvanka replay

​Yeah, normally play the woods on the other side of the map. Was experimenting with that flank...experiment not a success. 

LakeVille, 

Yeah, though it seems people scout more aggressively these days? The route I took used to be pretty safe, I'll give it a wider berth next time I guess.

So whats the problem of the T-28 prot? low mobility... it only does 28kph, that's it...
its armor is ok, the gun is great, the dpm is great, the penetration is tier X level

You have all that... and one major flaw, mobility...

that means you can't mess around not knowing what to do, because that will make you waste time
and more importantly you will be one less in your team

in tier VIII, 400 alpha is significant damage, specially in a tank that gets 2500 base dpm

to put into perspective a T34 have 1600 base dpm with 400 alpha... thats a 14 second reload time
and its not like the T34 is fast or its armor is great, and the gun handling is ridiculously worse compared to a T-28 prot.

So... its all about the gun, you have to make the gun work, that means being well positioned, preddict things, where to be...reading map and line up is key.

Completely agree here. 

Cheers for the thoughts. For context, I've been away from the game for about a year, and it seems the things that suffer most in that time frame is map knowledge, meat knowledge and decisiveness! I'll keep going and we'll see what happens. 

lord_chipmonk #106 Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

Played one more game (replay attached) and I'm going to call this little experiment there (i'll explain below). 

Replay: http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590859#teams

Tier 8 match, Sand River. AGAIN, my positional play was poor. I should have just gone to the river bed as it is the only real fight the Prot has on the map. So, another poor result due to my misplays, not the tank. Frustratingly, I'm confident that this game was salvageable. 

So, I'm going to stop playing the Prot for now. The tank itself seems to playing the same as it did when I first played it. Nothing meaningful has changed. The armour still works, but shouldn't be relied upon. The gun is still very sweet, but should really be kept at close-mid range. The glaring weakness is the mobility, which sucks. This means that you need to be sufficiently aware of the map, your surroundings and "good" map positions, or else you'll struggle. As I've not played the game in a year, I am struggling for that reason. The dubious team quality and map selection has really exposed my own poor plays. The problem isn't the tank, its me, which is annoying for a machine that I actually remember really liking. So, I'm going to drop down to tier 6, where I am a lot more comfortable at the moment and "get back into the swing of things". Many thanks to @KillingJoker for his insights, which helped me realise this.

Of relevance to this thread; the problem isn't I don't think the tank, its the player (me in this instance).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to "git gud" again so I can play the beauty without embarrassing myself! 

13_BlackCat #107 Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5834 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 25 October 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Played one more game (replay attached) and I'm going to call this little experiment there (i'll explain below). 

Replay: http://wotreplays.eu...e/5590859#teams

Tier 8 match, Sand River. AGAIN, my positional play was poor. I should have just gone to the river bed as it is the only real fight the Prot has on the map. So, another poor result due to my misplays, not the tank. Frustratingly, I'm confident that this game was salvageable. 

So, I'm going to stop playing the Prot for now. The tank itself seems to playing the same as it did when I first played it. Nothing meaningful has changed. The armour still works, but shouldn't be relied upon. The gun is still very sweet, but should really be kept at close-mid range. The glaring weakness is the mobility, which sucks. This means that you need to be sufficiently aware of the map, your surroundings and "good" map positions, or else you'll struggle. As I've not played the game in a year, I am struggling for that reason. The dubious team quality and map selection has really exposed my own poor plays. The problem isn't the tank, its me, which is annoying for a machine that I actually remember really liking. So, I'm going to drop down to tier 6, where I am a lot more comfortable at the moment and "get back into the swing of things". Many thanks to @KillingJoker for his insights, which helped me realise this.

Of relevance to this thread; the problem isn't I don't think the tank, its the player (me in this instance).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to "git gud" again so I can play the beauty without embarrassing myself! 

I watched your last reply Bro.

OK, so it didn't go so well for you, it happens ...

It's exactly what I said before, if your heavies do well, you'll do well and get some shots,

this vehicle is completely dependent on the heavies it supports, if your heavies get killed, so will you, like I saw in the reply.

- You went back and forth a small distance 3 times, same positions, in about 7 minutes. 7 MINUTES !

- The T28 Proto penned 35% of its shots at mid range distances.

- Yes it did bounce a good amount of shots, but it probably wouldn't got hit so much if it wasn't so slow and big.

This is clearly a situational and difficult vehicle to play.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 25 October 2020 - 09:06 PM.

lord_chipmonk #108 Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Post13_BlackCat, on 25 October 2020 - 09:05 PM, said:

I watched your last reply Bro.

OK, so it didn't go so well for you, it happens ...

It's exactly what I said before, if your heavies do well, you'll do well and get some shots,

this vehicle is completely dependent on the heavies it supports, if your heavies get killed, so will you, like I saw in the reply.

- You went back and forth a small distance 3 times, same positions, in about 7 minutes. 7 MINUTES !

- The T28 Proto penned 35% of its shots at mid range distances.

- Yes it did bounce a good amount of shots, but it probably wouldn't got hit so much if it wasn't so slow and big.

This is clearly a situational and difficult vehicle to play.

As said before, the main problem is the mobility. You need to identify where you're going early and stick to it, cos you aren't fast enough to change your mind (as you can see from my games!). This isn't a unique probelm for the Prot of course, it applies to all slow tanks.

The frustrating part for me is that I used to have the required map knowledge a couple of years ago and I did well in my Prot. Ah well. I'll get there again.

Anyhow, hope this thread gave you some insight into the strengths (and weaknesses) of the vehicle. 

Edited by lord_chipmonk, 25 October 2020 - 09:20 PM.

13_BlackCat #109 Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:39 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5834 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 25 October 2020 - 09:19 PM, said:

As said before, the main problem is the mobility. You need to identify where you're going early and stick to it, cos you aren't fast enough to change your mind (as you can see from my games!). This isn't a unique probelm for the Prot of course, it applies to all slow tanks.

The frustrating part for me is that I used to have the required map knowledge a couple of years ago and I did well in my Prot. Ah well. I'll get there again.

Anyhow, hope this thread gave you some insight into the strengths (and weaknesses) of the vehicle. 

I'm not implying that you are a bad player in any case.

I totally agree with the weaknesses of this vehicle that you mention, I had suspected them myself.

If player like you, with almost 37.000 battles under your belt is struggling to make it work,

then I can justifiably assume that I player like me, with less than 6.000 battles, will have greater issues with it.

Maps have changed since you stopped playing this vehicle, many things have,

so I don't think that not remembering where to position the Proto is the case.

This vehicle is clearly situational, not only from a maps perspective, cuz some maps won't do for it.

But also from the vehicles you support, if your heavies are doing great, no issue,

but if they are not, you can't relocate.

Plus, you have to have skilled crew and some suggest to use directives and a turbo charger.

These are to many factors to bare in mind in order to succeed, the few times you will have the chance.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 26 October 2020 - 04:41 AM.

lord_chipmonk #110 Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36816 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
If you spent some time practicing and being successful with slow vehicles, I reckon you could make the Prot. work for you. 

13_BlackCat #111 Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5834 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 24 October 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

Damage 1220.25
Assist 210.25
D+A 1430.75
Kills 0.5
Blocked 1022.5

Games:

I watched your 1st 2 replays.

On the 1st replay it took the T28 Proto more than 2 minutes to get into position, this thing is very slow,

plus once it lost the tanks that it supported, it got attacked immediately, with no chance of escaping or defending itself.

On the 2nd replay, yes it blocked a lot of damage, but still didn't survive the first 5 minutes of the game.

Slow mobility with slow turret traverse and with a gun that does mediocre at close and mid-range distances doesn't really help.

What use is High Pen, Good Alpha with Good DPM if all the other factors set you back ?

This thing might have been a beast back in the day, but nowadays it fights like a blind turtle.

Just think, although you are an experienced player and used to play it a lot, even you can't make it work anymore.

I've had better games in my Achilles that doesn't even have any armor.

Thank you for sharing your replays.

20:03 Added after 6 minute

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 26 October 2020 - 08:53 PM, said:

If you spent some time practicing and being successful with slow vehicles, I reckon you could make the Prot. work for you. 

I don't know about that my fellow tanker.

If one wants to complete daily missions, which in a lot of cases they require speed and mobility, the Proto won't be much help.

I hardly see it in the battles and whenever I do, it does not stand out, like it's not even there.

ilmavarvas #112 Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26697 battles
  • [FIPZD] FIPZD

I did like mine eventually, after getting top configuration & good crew, only lacking thing is mobility but I still liked mine. Gun is really good, it's kinda rare sight so not all enemies know your weakspots = lots of dinging.

Sold mine to buy T30, nice tank too, but seem to get just awful teams in it.

13_BlackCat #113 Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5834 battles

View Postilmavarvas, on 27 October 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

I did like mine eventually, after getting top configuration & good crew, only lacking thing is mobility but I still liked mine. Gun is really good, it's kinda rare sight so not all enemies know your weakspots = lots of dinging.

Sold mine to buy T30, nice tank too, but seem to get just awful teams in it.

You liked the T28 Proto, but in the end, you sold it.

Why would you sell a vehicle that you enjoy playing ? and not keep both ?

I keep vehicles that I enjoy playing and only sell the ones I did not like and have no use anymore.

This seems a bit contradictory.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 27 October 2020 - 07:56 PM.

War_Gear #114 Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20562 battles

View Post13_BlackCat, on 27 October 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

You liked the T28 Proto, but in the end, you sold it.

Why would you sell a vehicle that you enjoy playing ? and not keep both ?

I keep vehicles that I enjoy playing and only sell the ones I did not like and have no use anymore.

This seems a bit contradictory.

Maybe i can expain this: 

I "like" the T28-P a little bit. But as i have so much other nice Tier 8 TD´s (and i cannot play all of them) i will maybe also sell it.  I also "like" (a little bit) the T25/2, but sold it instantly because IMHO the T25-AT is the way better tank. And if i want a turret i use the T6 Hellcat which is Tier for Tier IMHO the much better tank as the T25/2.

So in a short sentence: So many girls, so little time. You cannot play them all...

13_BlackCat #115 Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5834 battles

View PostWar_Gear, on 28 October 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

Maybe i can expain this: 

I "like" the T28-P a little bit. But as i have so much other nice Tier 8 TD´s (and i cannot play all of them) i will maybe also sell it.  I also "like" (a little bit) the T25/2, but sold it instantly because IMHO the T25-AT is the way better tank. And if i want a turret i use the T6 Hellcat which is Tier for Tier IMHO the much better tank as the T25/2.

So in a short sentence: So many girls, so little time. You cannot play them all...

I see, this makes sense, I would probably do the same.

I enjoy playing the Hellcat also.

The T25/2 has low pen for its TIER, but it's a fun TD to play.

All 3 has something that the Proto doesn't, mobility and speed.

It is to slow for for playing it nowadays, at least for me, couldn't make it work.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 28 October 2020 - 11:16 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users