Developer Diaries: The Release of Mirny-13

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Watch this video to learn more about the development of this year's Halloween game mode!

The full text of the news item

ritam_nereda #2 Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27549 battles
  • [HERC] HERC
"The guys read the forums, listened, watched..." WHAT?! :facepalm: U WHAT?! :facepalm::facepalm: Did U really just say that?! :child: What forum do U read???  HAHAHAHA ROFL OMG this is SOOOO FUNY hahahahaha they read forums, ROLF!! hahahahaha

greatkill #3 Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9494 battles
  • [-SND-] -SND-

View Postritam_nereda, on 05 November 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

"The guys read the forums, listened, watched..." WHAT?! :facepalm: U WHAT?! :facepalm::facepalm: Did U really just say that?! :child: What forum do U read???  HAHAHAHA ROFL OMG this is SOOOO FUNY hahahahaha they read forums, ROLF!! hahahahaha

I mean I kinda share the sentiment, but man, if you write stuff like this then don't be surprised no one takes your input into account.

guest273 #4 Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37813 battles
  • [NEURO] NEURO

Read this feedback then:

The main problem with feedback is that:

Players often know the problems but almost never the optimal solutions.

With this in mind my feedback is:
1) Limited amount of battles per day (or paying credits to play more) - MASSIVE YUCK! These event modes only stay for 1-2 weeks each year, I want to play them as much as possible even if they are flawed.
2) I understand you need to test the bots to implement a permanent PvE mode in the future. The current problem with the bots: 1] A chance like 2% when spawning a new group to be shot in the face by 5-6 tank at the same time and die. 2] The Immortal sometimes snapshots you while million miles away and can do anything between 100-700 damage. Its inconsistent. Yesterday I had a battle where The Immortal was hungry only for me and shot me 3 times during a single stage. 3] Critical damages on the player are BS. "This mode is balanced for 5 players." Yeah, so me getting set on fire by the 1st shot that hit me in the whole battle and then set on fire the 2nd time 30 seconds after is not balanced for the team. The bots stand still. The player has to activate them. The player is the aggressor. GOOOOD idea to let me be the aggressor when there's a chance to lose my tracks / turret / engine / be set on fire.

3) "This mode is balanced for 5 players." Edit2: Modes need to be fun not hardcore. You can make a difficulty 4 that has infinite stages for players who want to flex their skills. This is a horrible idea. Because the reality is: "This mode is balanced for 5 active, decent players." Crashes happen more often in new modes. Sometimes someone with like 100 total wot battles who made an account 7 days ago can be in your team if it's not a full pre-made team. Balance the teams for 4/5 players so good players don't handicap themselves by playing with less skilled siblings / people on old PCs.

Edit: changed the middle brackets to be square.

Edited by guest273, 05 November 2020 - 05:45 PM.

vuque #5 Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 19667 battles
  • [TAF-G] TAF-G
Guys, please keep in mind the fact that developers are receiving feedback from all the region forums, not just the EU one and not just the English one from the EU. ;)

ritam_nereda #6 Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27549 battles
  • [HERC] HERC

View Postgreatkill, on 05 November 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

I mean I kinda share the sentiment, but man, if you write stuff like this then don't be surprised no one takes your input into account.

U know what is sarcasm? :trollface:

View Postvuque, on 05 November 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

Guys, please keep in mind the fact that developers are receiving feedback from all the region forums, not just the EU one and not just the English one from the EU. ;)

U wanna say that only EU english forum don't like EBR-s, bad MM (that makes soo much 0:15 games), too many artys, inbalanced tanks? Other servers and forums are OK with that, U shure??? :bush:

greatkill #7 Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9494 battles
  • [-SND-] -SND-

View Postritam_nereda, on 05 November 2020 - 06:31 PM, said:

U know what is sarcasm? :trollface:

Ah, I see, so this is a "joke's on them, I was only pretending to be retarded" moment! In that case, ROFL LMAO FUNY

ritam_nereda #8 Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27549 battles
  • [HERC] HERC

View Postgreatkill, on 05 November 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Ah, I see, so this is a "joke's on them, I was only pretending to be retarded" moment! In that case, ROFL LMAO FUNY

So U are not pretending... Keep up 

jetfirecro #9 Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 32146 battles

how to get Legend of Mirny-13 medal in this mod

PanzerPjotr #10 Posted 05 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 53563 battles
  • [DFPC] DFPC
Hats off to the developers and creativists, Mirny 13 looks awesome, no question about it. But somehow I get the feeling that playability was an aspect much neglected. See guest237 's reaction for some worthwhile input. As I gather 2019's event got swamped because devs and creativists got too excited and forgot they had to get it all ready on time. For this year's implementation, they somehow screwed it up by making it time-gated and expensive (credits), which was corrected after a day or three by adding 3 more free medicines a day. Getting the fourth stage completed is pretty difficult and nigh on impossible if you get bad teammates, which happens a lot. I mean faltering at the first stage because some moron thinks it a good idea to wander off and activate a few more clusters, that's bad. Mirny 13 is very much team-orientated and that's a bad idea for WoT. Not much true teamplay there.

Kazuya #11 Posted 05 November 2020 - 11:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13367 battles
probably the worst game mode in history of wot and i usually really like pve modes

Misago #12 Posted 06 November 2020 - 09:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

VIsuals of the map are pretty good, but could have been better if it had been a bit more surreal, and replaying it again and again made it boring. Gameplay could have been decent without the typical WG PVE mode spawning nonsense. Could have worked, but ended up annoying instead.

The stimulant crap however was pure BS. Nothing more than a blatant attempt to frustrate players into buying out the rewards instead.

I'd say for shame, but anyone with any knowledge of the meaning of that word clearly doesn't come within a mile of Wargaming.

Bordhaw #13 Posted 06 November 2020 - 11:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16956 battles

We already know. You and two of your colleagues have already told us, twice, that you don't take feedback from the EU forum especially the "English speaking" section.

Hobknobbs #14 Posted 07 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10589 battles

This has been the best PvE mode for World of Tanks yet, it's genuinely brilliant... when played in a team of likeminded players. I've had a lot of fun co-operating and planning hectic movements around the map, racing from point to point with different enemy types and the ominous threat of the immortal and time ticking away keeping the games diverse and fresh. (Not to mention the Grenadier, phwoar!)

I will say though, that hitting the battle button and playing soley with randoms is near rage inducing. Players driving off of the map, charging the immortal or just running off to do their own thing - then dying and being AFK for the next round all the while whinging in chat and being toxic is neverending.
It really doesn't reflect well on the WoT community, at all. That said, get a like minded group together and it's a lot of fun! I've never added so many friendly players to my friends list before!

(Weirdly, this makes the first star difficulty with randoms harder than a three star difficulty with an organized group!) 

The coin grind strikes the right balance of reward versus play time. My first impressions were negative but things do speed up a bit once you get going and level your tank (which only takes a few games) and I've managed to unlock the crew, books, boosters and anything else I wanted after about 5 days(ish) of casual play which is very unusual for me, I normally never get very far with WoT events. 

Overall I am very impressed. I'd give it a 8/10. Top visuals and nice gameplay. The idea of the stimulants is just outright bloody awful though.    

xXFinland_NinjaXx #15 Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31672 battles
  • [NOOSE] NOOSE
The event was decent, but as something you had extra year to refine / have in your mind. It had too much bad.

Store
There wasnt enough stuff in the store to buy for someone active. I run out things days ago and even while I havent maxed the amount of stimulants I could have got (or pay 25k/75k credits for first two revives of the day). I still have 16 of those stimulants and couple days that I didnt even play the first "free" games with the tanks. Then if you think someone who actually used money to unlock the tanks or the other pack where I think you get 30 stimulants. Which is just then waste of money when you cant use the amount of coins you will earn. You could have simply put some basic things that are unlimited in amount where you can put the rest of the coins. Even credits if your imagination doesnt come up with anything else.

Story of the event
Other problem was the "testimony" or story pieces you collect. Like you can understand from above I played quite a lot. That said I still am missing two of the pieces. Then you think someone who plays less and just for some fun. You not going to give them the story? Just dumb imo. As far as I understand you were able to get those from dead enemy tanks. Which is fine, but the chances then have been too low. Or alternatively you could have made is so, that you need to kill only one tank in every zone to earn them aka "exploring the area and learn the scattered info". Not by chance or randomly. Also it seemed they arent even in time order to read....
                         The story could have also inspired more people to play it. Now you were killing tanks and running from immortal for why? What happened? What is the purpose of this? One way would be having the event progressing. That the reason of the mission changes or comes more accurate. Like now for the couple last days a short video "we believe the mirnium just want to get back home" or something. Then if you really needed then after the event having the "to be continued" part: "It should be noted that with further development of the chemical industry, the committee recommends resuming research and searching ways of applying the matter" (from the game story).

Suggestion
I am not even going into the team play in the game or the toxicity in it. I am just going to suggest that the next event (you start working) Would be possible as single player and having the option to up the difficulty in platoons. I mean you can give me bots to help. They at least are predictable and understand the mission. I am also kind of surprised you havent yet added a single player/platoon campaign that maybe based on history. Would be really cool.

Game mechanics / players
About actual game mechanics it would be better be more transparent next time. Now many youtubers etc pretty much trashed the game because you forced them to think the mode as time gated. Which it for some length was. But if you would have told it clearly that for active free-to-players there is ~1-2h of gameplay every day. Meaning you can get stimulants from missions it could have helped. How ever I still think that it is a "f" you for many WoT players because they play only on weekends. Meaning you are then limited on the times you can play. Unless spending the stupid 225k per battle.
           Lets put it this way. I am fine with the pay to get something to fill at least some of the development cost of an event. So is pretty much anyone who understand business like youtubers. How ever dont make it in such a way that gets just a bad image for you and makes the event bad because of it. I cant guess what was the magnitude of the consequences this time and probably you will have hard time too. But possibly it pushed away many single players, great and bad at the game. Which then effected MM to great teams. Of course when you have less players then you have less people that might actually pay something too. I believe if you make something great and get positive initial reviews. Then you will make more money too.

RedJester #16 Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25636 battles

Good, maybe they will give us more than 4 weeks of Frontlines next year then and rather than replacing it with Steel Hunter - which I don't play, have the two run in conjunction or make Frontlines a permanent in game mode for us all to enjoy our tier 8 premiums in. Maybe add more maps would be great! 

guest273 #17 Posted 08 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37813 battles
  • [NEURO] NEURO

View PostxXFinland_NinjaXx, on 08 November 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

The event was decent, but as something you had extra year to refine / have in your mind. It had too much bad.

Store
There wasnt enough stuff in the store to buy for someone active. I run out things days ago and even while I havent maxed the amount of stimulants I could have got (or pay 25k/75k credits for first two revives of the day). I still have 16 of those stimulants and couple days that I didnt even play the first "free" games with the tanks. Then if you think someone who actually used money to unlock the tanks or the other pack where I think you get 30 stimulants. Which is just then waste of money when you cant use the amount of coins you will earn. You could have simply put some basic things that are unlimited in amount where you can put the rest of the coins. Even credits if your imagination doesnt come up with anything else.

This feedback X2.

Get memed:

Christofia #18 Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24612 battles

In a  nutshell, I can see that WG has actually put a lot of effort in this game mode and I appreciate it.

It's quality is way better than the average fun modes, it's a decent work, but with small flaws that all has been mentioned already. But paying for playing - it was a really bad decision.

And as it's been said, it was only good and enjoyable with a good team. Random just doesn't work with this.

All in all, it was good, thanks for it.

(and consulting with the Silent Hill experts was a really good idea IMO).

Misago #19 Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21960 battles

You know what greatly undercuts a threat situation? When you are more worried about the timer than about any of the "threats" you should be facing. It ended up like the berlin event, with players just steamrolling through the "spooooooooky tanks!!!!" to make it to the stupid collector in time.

Oh, and also, next time make the tanks, especially the heavy, actually able to block shots, you know, like they are supposed to. This weakpoint-search enemy AI is a) ridiculous, when you see their gun barrels swiveling around like the nose of a hungry dog in a butcher's shop, and b) detrimental to skillful play, when you might as well not bother with smart positioning when the enemy just finds the next weak point/targets the soft tanks anyways.

There is a reason why bots in games are not supposed to be as "smart" as human players. It makes the game frustrating, since threat and game design demands the bots to be stronger in some ways (numbers, damage, etc) than the regular players. If boss AI in MMORPGs was "smart" and would target the healers and dps first, like a player would, most of these games would be unwinnable. It does not make sense that the boss targets the heavily-armored ones doing minimal damage, but that is a sacrifice a smart designer makes in the interest of game enjoyment.

xXFinland_NinjaXx #20 Posted 12 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31672 battles
  • [NOOSE] NOOSE

View PostRedJester, on 08 November 2020 - 01:20 PM, said:

Good, maybe they will give us more than 4 weeks of Frontlines next year then and rather than replacing it with Steel Hunter - which I don't play, have the two run in conjunction or make Frontlines a permanent in game mode for us all to enjoy our tier 8 premiums in. Maybe add more maps would be great! 

If I understood you then I agree. It should have been frontline-steelhunter-frontline.... That would have given more variation to play them. Now it was more of a grind of one mode then the other.

Though I dont agree about Frontline being permanent. It is after all slightly pay to win with the premium tanks. Which makes it a bit annoying even during that one week.

15:28 Added after 3 minute

View PostChristofia, on 10 November 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

It's quality is way better than the average fun modes, it's a decent work, but with small flaws that all has been mentioned already. But paying for playing - it was a really bad decision.

And as it's been said, it was only good and enjoyable with a good team. Random just doesn't work with this.

It was only pay to play for not so active players. An active player could have played it a lot. Meaning after the start about 7-10 games a day. Depending how many stimulants you got from missions.

Random can work like for me, but I am above average after all. I can see how 5 players below 50% winratio can just die even in first round.

15:35 Added after 10 minute

View PostMisago, on 11 November 2020 - 05:19 AM, said:

You know what greatly undercuts a threat situation? When you are more worried about the timer than about any of the "threats" you should be facing. It ended up like the berlin event, with players just steamrolling through the "spooooooooky tanks!!!!" to make it to the stupid collector in time.

Oh, and also, next time make the tanks, especially the heavy, actually able to block shots, you know, like they are supposed to. This weakpoint-search enemy AI is a) ridiculous, when you see their gun barrels swiveling around like the nose of a hungry dog in a butcher's shop, and b) detrimental to skillful play, when you might as well not bother with smart positioning when the enemy just finds the next weak point/targets the soft tanks anyways.

There is a reason why bots in games are not supposed to be as "smart" as human players. It makes the game frustrating, since threat and game design demands the bots to be stronger in some ways (numbers, damage, etc) than the regular players. If boss AI in MMORPGs was "smart" and would target the healers and dps first, like a player would, most of these games would be unwinnable. It does not make sense that the boss targets the heavily-armored ones doing minimal damage, but that is a sacrifice a smart designer makes in the interest of game enjoyment.

Debatable about the bots. They did have quite some weakness you could have used against them. How ever there was also a lot of good plays from bots too. Like rushing alone tanker and just dpm him to death. Which in a way was a good thing.

It just comes down to balancing. If their testers enjoyed it and thought it had enough challenge, but also easy enough. Then there is nothing to change. That said they probably are good players who test thing out. So maybe it doesnt fit the majority of the players.

Maybe best way that was said is to have progressive levels. So for the bad players it would have been good enough to complete 2-4 levels and get a decent reward. But for good players there would be couple extra levels where the difficulty goes up to have challenge for them too. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users