Top of the Tree: M48A5 Patton

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:01 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Use the latest Tech Tree spotlight to add a versatile American medium to your collection - the M48A5 Patton.

The full text of the news item

edevjoe #2 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6074 battles
  • [BRAND] BRAND

Pls return the idea of voting , i really miss it and its like RNG of which tank line would come up. You may not like the tank line choice for example .I would like to advance up other tech trees like maybe Swedish heavies or TD line or Polish 60TP to make the stupid stock grind go faster. So pls...... like im so happy now its M48 but what is next feels like RNG all over again.

#RETURNTHEVOTE

Edited by edevjoe, 20 November 2020 - 06:10 AM.

StronkiTonki #3 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:46 AM

Captain

• Clan Commander
  • 37641 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

View Postedevjoe, on 20 November 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

Pls return the idea of voting , i really miss it and its like RNG of which tank line would come up. You may not like the tank line choice for example .I would like to advance up other tech trees like maybe Swedish heavies or TD line or Polish 60TP to make the stupid stock grind go faster. So pls...... like im so happy now its M48 but what is next feels like RNG all over again.

#RETURNTHEVOTE

I don't really see the point of this honestly.

When voting was a thing, it became highly predictable which trees were gonna get voted on. And as a result, the same tank lines were constantly top of the tree, while other lines always got ignored and never really got a good discount.

I still remember needing grind a whole heap of lines, but simply never got the chance to get them with a top of the tree event. Meanwhile the only top of the tree events we got were all tanks that I already owned.

undutchable80 #4 Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:34 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 16663 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostStronkiTonki, on 20 November 2020 - 06:46 AM, said:

I don't really see the point of this honestly.

When voting was a thing, it became highly predictable which trees were gonna get voted on. And as a result, the same tank lines were constantly top of the tree, while other lines always got ignored and never really got a good discount.

I still remember needing grind a whole heap of lines, but simply never got the chance to get them with a top of the tree event. Meanwhile the only top of the tree events we got were all tanks that I already owned.

Agreed: it was always the strongest / newest line that received the majority of votes. I like it the way we have it now. 

On topic; Already have the TX Patton so I can chillax this TotT and await the upcoming marathon and of course holiday ops in a week or 3!

Duke_Harkonnen #5 Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18922 battles
I like it. 2 ToT per month is good. What is pathetic is main reward - only 20k exp. I would appreciate at least big crew book if not piece of equipment.

vuque #6 Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 19667 battles
  • [TAF-G] TAF-G
I already have M48 Patton and it is one of my favorite tanks. It is not great at anything but it can do everything, such a jack of all trades! :)

BSHDBCG #7 Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7217 battles

View PostDuke_Harkonnen, on 20 November 2020 - 09:36 AM, said:

I like it. 2 ToT per month is good. What is pathetic is main reward - only 20k exp. I would appreciate at least big crew book if not piece of equipment.

They should also bring back the 10 battle rental you could get from playing a battle in a T8-T10 tank from the current tree.

It was a nice addition and let people try some new premium tanks.

Geno1isme #8 Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 50607 battles

View PostBSHDBCG, on 20 November 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

They should also bring back the 10 battle rental you could get from playing a battle in a T8-T10 tank from the current tree.

But only as an opt-in please. I hate rentals sitting in my garage that I don't intend to play and that cannot be removed.

Simona2k #9 Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5464 battles
  • [FOXZA] FOXZA
Very good

BSHDBCG #10 Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7217 battles

View PostGeno1isme, on 20 November 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

But only as an opt-in please. I hate rentals sitting in my garage that I don't intend to play and that cannot be removed.

You do know that you can hide rentals, right?

Corrupted_Pling #11 Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 60901 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
was one i was missing.. now bought :)

Duke_Harkonnen #12 Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18922 battles
I don't get it with rental tanks. I mount equipment there and after 10 games I have to pay demount od 3x600k is lost?

Zamieszki #13 Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10886 battles

View Postedevjoe, on 20 November 2020 - 06:08 AM, said:

Pls return the idea of voting

so that shitbarn can be tott every 2nd month.

btw why would you play tier 10 patton when stb-1 or udes are in the game?

They are basically the same flavour of med tenk but better.

Miepie #14 Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 7390 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDuke_Harkonnen, on 20 November 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

I don't get it with rental tanks. I mount equipment there and after 10 games I have to pay demount od 3x600k is lost?

You don't buy equipment on discount and use Demount Kits?

Firstcasuality #15 Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:59 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 38636 battles

Gun on m48 paton is great but top speed of 45 can be disapointing.

Tho it was collecting dust in my garage. Might take it for a spin during ToT.

Miepie #16 Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 7390 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostFirstcasuality, on 20 November 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

Gun on m48 paton is great but top speed of 45 can be disapointing.

Tho it was collecting dust in my garage. Might take it for a spin during ToT.

There's some people in the Turbocharger thread that said the turbocharger really improved their M48. :popcorn: http://forum.worldof...-turbocharger/ 

Shrewd_Ape_In_The_Mist #17 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10622 battles

M48 Patton my first unlocked and bought tier X.

Even today I've only 3 tier X bought (since majority of them are not worth buying) but a few more unlocked besides them.

Back then I didn't know a single thing about how this game works and didn't care to learn so the grinding to tier X was...

Yeah.

That's literally how many battles it took me on every one of those tanks to progress from them to the next tier in line.

Don't ask, just don't.

Apparently T20 is not a very good heavy tank.

Forgive me lord for I didn't know what I was doing. 

That single tech tree line ruins my general stats to this day, well among all of the other tanks that I played with back then but nothing is quite as bad of an influence on my account as the american medium tanks.

Later I was able to boost my wn8 of M48 Patton to low yellow but the win ratio is still pretty terrible since I don't really play tier X enough to fix that nor do I care to try.

Anyway, having the backstory behind us, I just want to say that that whole line is amazing.

Maybe except M3 Lee as many people don't like it and find it terrible.

Personally I don't like it too but I don't care much. 

Yes, M48 is among the few tier Xs worth buying.

It has everything you could possibly need - great well angled russki ufo turret armor (well yeah as opposed to russian tanks it has cupola as a weak spot on the top of the turret that is actually possible to hit but it's hard enough to do so for it to not be a fatal flaw but simply a means of counter play), very good gun depression of 9 degrees, hull can bounce some if you angle it well but it's not great or anything, can surprisingly good sidescrap because the hull is in the shape of a boat at the sides, godlike gun handling (well as much as the rng can possibly allow) shooting with that thing is just pure pleasure, snapshots are just like point and click like you'd shoot fully aimed shoots all the time since the aim circle just almost doesn't bloom, sick 420 meters view range (probably cuz of that cupola and again since it's not a russian tank the view range has to be compensated with bigger than normal cupola), great standard and gold penetration, very good shell velocity, excellent DPM, respectable alpha DMG, great turret traverse speed, a lot of HP for a medium tank. The only thing that M48 seems to be somehow lacking is the mobility.

For a medium tank it's kinda sluggish but it has some armor to make up for it so it's understandable since it's not a russian tank. 

Also you could as well say that it's big for a medium tank and so it has bad camouflage (again, look at - not a russian tank).

That's why many players are mounting the turbocharger on that tank but imo it's not worth it if you aren't good enough to make use of that a bit of additional speed.

And I'm not so here you go.

Overall very sweet tank to play with, 8.6/10; would buy again.

Edited by Shrewd_Ape_In_The_Mist, 20 November 2020 - 06:51 PM.

Jocoo #18 Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29186 battles

View PostShrewd_Ape_In_The_Mist, on 20 November 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

M48 Patton my first unlocked and bought tier X.

Even today I've only 3 tier X bought (since majority of them are not worth buying) but a few more unlocked besides them.

Back then I didn't know a single thing about how this game works and didn't care to learn so the grinding to tier X was...

Yeah.

That's literally how many battles it took me on every one of those tanks to progress from them to the next tier in line.

Don't ask, just don't.

Apparently T20 is not a very good heavy tank.

Forgive me lord for I didn't know what I was doing. 

That single tech tree line ruins my general stats to this day, well among all of the other tanks that I played with back then but nothing is quite as bad of an influence on my account as the american medium tanks.

Later I was able to boost my wn8 of M48 Patton to low yellow but the win ratio is still pretty terrible since I don't really play tier X enough to fix that nor do I care to try.

Anyway, having the backstory behind us, I just want to say that that whole line is amazing.

Maybe except M3 Lee as many people don't like it and find it terrible.

Personally I don't like it too but I don't care much. 

Yes, M48 is among the few tier Xs worth buying.

It has everything you could possibly need - great well angled russki ufo turret armor (well yeah as opposed to russian tanks it has cupola as a weak spot on the top of the turret that is actually possible to hit but it's hard enough to do so for it to not be a fatal flaw but simply a means of counter play), very good gun depression of 9 degrees, hull can bounce some if you angle it well but it's not great or anything, can surprisingly good sidescrap because the hull is in the shape of a boat at the sides, godlike gun handling (well as much as the rng can possibly allow) shooting with that thing is just pure pleasure, snapshots are just like point and click like you'd shoot fully aimed shoots all the time since the aim circle just almost doesn't bloom, sick 420 meters view range (probably cuz of that cupola and again since it's not a russian tank the view range has to be compensated with bigger than normal cupola), great standard and gold penetration, very good shell velocity, excellent DPM, respectable alpha DMG, great turret traverse speed, a lot of HP for a medium tank. The only thing that M48 seems to be somehow lacking is the mobility.

For a medium tank it's kinda sluggish but it has some armor to make up for it so it's understandable since it's not a russian tank. 

Also you could as well say that it's big for a medium tank and so it has bad camouflage (again, look at - not a russian tank).

That's why many players are mounting the turbocharger on that tank but imo it's not worth it if you aren't good enough to make use of that a bit of additional speed.

And I'm not so here you go.

Overall very sweet tank to play with, 8.6/10; would buy again.

I know that :) My friend "taught" me how to play this game. If I recall correctly I had 5k battles with 400wn8 and about 40% win ratio. I was yoloing mostly and my friend always told me "YOU ARE A HEAVY TANK GO AND TAKE THOSE SHOTS" Thanks :) 

Today my stats looks better but I don't really care about it. I won't shoot gold for better wn8. I still aiming to weakspots not like those skilled players who aim the middle of your tank with gold. 

I'm not saying that they are bad but I would see them playing my style.

M48 Patton is one of my favorite tank in the game. It's really a jack of all trades.

Lanrefni #19 Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:14 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 42327 battles
  • [_N0D_] _N0D_

View PostZamieszki, on 20 November 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

so that shitbarn can be tott every 2nd month.

btw why would you play tier 10 patton when stb-1 or udes are in the game?

They are basically the same flavour of med tenk but better.

Patton has better base viewrange and gun isn't as derpy as UDES and has higher pen with APCR.

''no reason to play this over STB-1 or UDES'' my [edited]

This is the line i've been waiting for a while. This month, finally, 2 lines that I could grind out.

Edited by Lanrefni, 22 November 2020 - 09:15 AM.

Shrewd_Ape_In_The_Mist #20 Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:05 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10622 battles

View PostJocoo, on 21 November 2020 - 10:58 PM, said:

I know that :) My friend "taught" me how to play this game. If I recall correctly I had 5k battles with 400wn8 and about 40% win ratio. I was yoloing mostly and my friend always told me "YOU ARE A HEAVY TANK GO AND TAKE THOSE SHOTS" Thanks :) 

Today my stats looks better but I don't really care about it. I won't shoot gold for better wn8. I still aiming to weakspots not like those skilled players who aim the middle of your tank with gold. 

I'm not saying that they are bad but I would see them playing my style.

M48 Patton is one of my favorite tank in the game. It's really a jack of all trades.

Not spamming gold despite being able to is something I can respect.

It's very easy to fall down the rabbit hole once you start shooting gold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users