Still the Best Despite Current Meta

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Ogroid #1 Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 36339 battles
Despite all the gripes,the meaningless of armour, the nightmare that is wheeled vehicles, all the unpleasant changes that have been made over the years this is still the best game of its type and I love it to bits. The improvements far outweigh the deficits. Ive been playing (consistently poorly) for 10 years and I keep coming back in spite of the fact that the whole experience is extremely frustrating. World of Tanks, best game ever, simple. 

Corrupted_Pling #2 Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 60727 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
:medal:

Fantacuzino #3 Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11776 battles

Unfortunately it is indeed more rewarding and satisfying than many other games out there.

Main problem is that the game was much better 5 years ago.

It had a different dev team, different maps, different ballance.

It offered more to any type of player than it does nowadays.

Once the WT auf E 100 got launched into the game, it all went downhill from that point IMO. :(

WingedArchon #4 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13079 battles
WG is also regretfully falling for the corporate evolution, which is not good)
However they still have the redeeming quality gem of a game that is a good platform at its core for many reasons.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 79729 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I mean, not gonna argue that the game was worse in many aspects when I started 8 years ago. And there have been a ton of simple improvements that just makes things more simple and easier as well as harder and more interesting. 

But ofc some aspects are not loved by all and I have a few that I would argue are worse vs 8 years ago, some that I even despise. But I would not still be here if that outweighed the improvements that make the game enjoyable. 

nc30_guy #6 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28120 battles
It sucks a lot of balls these days ....... and ball sucking is not for me.

Edited by nc30_guy, 22 November 2020 - 11:24 AM.

thetartanbaron #7 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6608 battles
Well the basic concept of the game must be sound because despite Wargaming making it ever so slightly worse each year we still keep playing it.

GalmTwo #8 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10617 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It is such a strange game. I hate it, but also don't. I uninstall it out of sheer ire, but then I come back! There's something in my brain that tells me to play, to try and get a good result in a match, even if things go pear shaped. Truly, a fascinating game.

View Postnc30_guy, on 22 November 2020 - 11:24 AM, said:

It sucks a lot of balls these days ....... and ball sucking is not for me.

The game can give you a good time!

Lt_Pfaffenbach #9 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26386 battles

so you just said this is the best 'zombie' in the class? and that others zombies are just worse, not that this one is really good? ok, understood, thanks for sharing.

tank276 #10 Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56751 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

It is an enjoyable game, otherwise we wouldnt be here discussing its gameplay.

Nothing on earth is flawless but I still like playing it since Aug 2012.

I had my breaks, maybe up to 1 year ones, but yeah, still here.

mpf1959 #11 Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:05 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 41269 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT
Through getting frustrated at times I have tried War Thunder and Armoured Warfare, along with Blitz. None of those tank games grabbed my interest at all, so I see no alternative to WOT as yet.

Shacou #12 Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25533 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT
I've taken a lot of breaks with this game, but keep coming back to it. It's not the greatest game around, but not horrible either. Games like Armored Warfare have kinda low amount of players, War Thunder is not my cup of tea.

LordMuffin #13 Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 60679 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
I think current meta is the worst we have seen in this game.

Mimos_A #14 Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34343 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH
Yup, regardless of some of the horsemanure that goes around in terms of potato map design and "interesting" balancing choices, the reason I unconsciously take longer breaks for the past year or so is the playerbase, not the game.

Carpaccio_ #15 Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41842 battles

I would say that the game was better in 2014-16 in general, better balanced and old maps were mostly better, not saying it was excelent, even some of the maps on their old state had problems of their own, and maybe I am biased or something, but some changed, some new/reworked positions on new HD maps are complete ...... absurd, and not to mention things like new erlenberg, studzianki, minsk. But lets be honest, this game was never "great", it had problems you could be swearing about then just like now.

And recently, like last 2 or 3 years when its almost 2021, WG did some pretty good improvements while also some things that are just facepalm and you feel like the devs have no idea about their game. 3 arty still exist, broken reward tanks, EBR 105 that was made by somebody who never drove anything in their life, their thing about testing HE rebalance that was just complete waste of time they could spend on something that actually needs improvement, ....... arty splash damage system that hits you for 50 damage and kills two crew members etc.

But anyway, thumbs up for: low tiers HP increase, 3/5/7 MM removed and in general MM mostly improved (you can finally enjoy tier 8 yay), at least some EBR nerf, old tanks buffs (Leo, E100 line, ...)

gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 15652 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
9.17 was the best for me. 

24doom24 #17 Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9832 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
I can barely play more than 2 games a day. In fact I just play the test server instead. I've been having a lot of fun in other games tbh.

Edited by 24doom24, 22 November 2020 - 04:46 PM.

PanTHeR_HuN #18 Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16466 battles
  • [RDR] RDR

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 22 November 2020 - 06:17 PM, said:

9.17 was the best for me. 

High five! 

Discontinued #19 Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2116 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCarpaccio_, on 22 November 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

I would say that the game was better in 2014-16 in general, better balanced and old maps were mostly better, not saying it was excelent, even some of the maps on their old state had problems of their own, and maybe I am biased or something, but some changed, some new/reworked positions on new HD maps are complete ...... absurd, and not to mention things like new erlenberg, studzianki, minsk. But lets be honest, this game was never "great", it had problems you could be swearing about then just like now.

And recently, like last 2 or 3 years when its almost 2021, WG did some pretty good improvements while also some things that are just facepalm and you feel like the devs have no idea about their game. 3 arty still exist, broken reward tanks, EBR 105 that was made by somebody who never drove anything in their life, their thing about testing HE rebalance that was just complete waste of time they could spend on something that actually needs improvement, ....... arty splash damage system that hits you for 50 damage and kills two crew members etc.

But anyway, thumbs up for: low tiers HP increase, 3/5/7 MM removed and in general MM mostly improved (you can finally enjoy tier 8 yay), at least some EBR nerf, old tanks buffs (Leo, E100 line, ...)

I would say the game felt better a few years back for a couple of reasons. Back in 2013 -16 when I played a lot the system requirements for this game meant that many people with non gaming PC's where in effect barred from playing WOT now with the new changes any old chump can play WOT on their potatoes which has dragged in some awful players running 14fps 

Also like all corporate structures involved in the Freemium game market they gradually and understandably, from a business point of view add more and more incentive's to monetize as much of the game as possible. Ive seen this with other freemium models. Wargaming are simply following what most other titles of this genre have done.

I slightly dislike the way they messed around with the lower tiers and equipment,

I still have fond memories of the T1 Cunningham with over a million credits worth of equipment in those 3 slots and a 4 skill BIA crew, ah those where the days Mtttengurad....hill early spot, smashing slow loading players and AfK'ers full silver loadout with repair kits food etc...

The MM has slightly improved although it was never a big gripe for me as I mainly played lights in those days, back then MM then was crazy in a Chaffee facing tier 8-9  lol

There are far more freebies than back in the old days too more events which i tend to avoid but still the game is something i keep coming back too.

The AAA game market and most indie titles just feel like the same stale rehashed ideas that have been around for some 30-40 years.

Many years ago I met a lecturer from Manchester university he lectured in computer science and now works for Apple eeeew

But I remembered Mike's critique on gaming back in 1995 

Dr Mike said I don't like games they're all the same things just reskinned.

"Your either a man with a gun, knife sword, bow, Or your a car, or a spaceship, whether FPS, 3rd person, side scrolling or whatever, they're all the same thing"

Mike's argument still stands today

I come back to Tanks purely because for me as an old gamer I feel very disenchanted with the current stats of AA games and the industry as whole,

I've played GTA 1-2-3 and after a while they all became the same game just with slightly improved graphics, Red dead is simply GTA in cowboy era Metal gear solid stopped being good after Peacewalker and Grand Turismo 1-2 where basically the pinnacle of driving games all the subsequent sequels look only marginally better and seem to have dumbed down all the technical aspects which made them good. sound familiar?

The issue with the AAA gaming market is the bean counters and people at the boardroom level seeking to maximize profit i would say 90% of AA titles are released in beta or alpha and paying £40-60 for a game that is still incomplete just doesn't wash with me anymore...and people complain about WG customer service..I beg you try Ubisoft, Activivison. Blizzard or EA you'll be met with complete silence. I even had items I bought with real cash never materialize and when I complained and threatened a chargeback they said they'll ban my account 90 days passed and still no refund....

thats why i keep coming back to WOT,

for me its a slower paced militaristic game where I can play along side my friends and have fun 

Olias_0f_Sunhillow #20 Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27944 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttank276, on 22 November 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Nothing on earth is flawless 

My wife is, she tells me so.

I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi games, WT is bollox, and I am a fan of tanks, and history, particularly the two World Wars in general. So this is the only game for me. Has been so since 2011.

Edited by Olias_0f_Sunhillow, 23 November 2020 - 12:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users