T26E4 SuperPershing: The Medium That Thinks It's a Heavy

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Time to beat your chest, charge into battle, and unleash your strength on the  front line in the T26E4 SuperPershing.

The full text of the news item

DK_TORBEN #2 Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 55843 battles
It's too slow to reach the front line before the fight is over. 

Misago #3 Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22681 battles

POPULAR

It's pretty brave to sell a tank this powercreeped.

The Superpershing was my first t8 premium tank, and it is currently the tank I have the most battles in. I saw it through all its iterations, all the buffs and nerfs, and I have this to say:

Don't buy this. If you want an american medium crew trainer, spare yourselves the frustration and find another solution.

The idea of the SP is great on paper. Historically, it was an experimental long 90mm on a regular Pershing that the americans bolted some extra armor plates on for improved survivability. So you'd expect that this special gun would give the SP a pretty sweet pen value, as historically it did, right? Well, you'd be wrong. The pen is barely at the lower end of what recent premium tanks got, and that's after a recent buff. For the longest time, it was even worse, and even with the slight buff, it's still on the low end of recent premiums, and, again, it's no longer its selling point.

The armor? It used to hold up pretty well, I got a lot of steel walls in my SP back in the day. But again, the advent of more high-pen guns even among mediums means that you are not gonna be holding up much fire, when most enemies can just shoot straight through your armor. You can get a small chuckle when some tryhard in a KPZ50 with full gold fails to realize that his fancy HEAT pen is useless against spaced turret armor, but most of the time you'll get killed pretty swiftly. Don't even get me started on the weaksponts (a hull weakspot on a medium tank?! Remember when weakspots where a thing you needed to hide?!), especially on the turret. It ruins all point of the armor if your enemy has any idea what he is doing.

But surely, a medium tank is not meant to fight head-on, right? Why not just use the super-long gun to flank, or snipe? That's the other thing. For all the claims about the gun, it's just pretty bad. Accuracy, aim time, dispersion values, shell velocity... It SHOULD play more like a tank destroyer, considering its roots. But the gun is not good, and as for flanking...

That's where we get to the mobility. It's atrocious. And I don't mean "atrocious for a medium tank". I mean "even for heavy tanks this is not a good look". Yes, the SP was slower than a regular Pershing because of the added weight of gun and armor, but considering WG never cared about historical accuracy anyways when all those russian heavies and mediums got armor with the effectiveness of concrete, yet weighing as much as a sheet of paper for all practices purposes, giving this poor tank at least some mobility might have made it usable. After all, against mediums, there's at least a slight chance the armor will hold up against some old tier 7 or tier 8 tanks. But if you try to go for the medium spots, you will not get there. Ever. I saw someone suggest using turbocharger and grousers on SP, which sounds good, but you'd need to give up either rammer or vstab, and either one will hurt the already bad gun performance even more. That's a high cost for a bandaid slapped over the open, infected wound of mobility.

As a cherry on top, you don't even need the SP armor at all. You can have better medium tanks with more effective armor. The meta is for hulldown mediums anyway, so grab yourself a Centurion (or the CS-52 / Centurion mk5 if you do want a premium) or any of the other american t8 premiums if you really want to fit that role (except the Ripper Patton, another atrocity of WG's balance department).

My recommendation as a long-standing Superpershing owner: do not buy this tank. You know how we play this game for the rare exciting rounds between MM BS, artillery and gold spam? Things will get even rarer in the Superpershing. It used to be a solid, playable medium with an unusual gimmick, but increased armor and pen among all tanks, but especially mediums, have powercreeped it into oblivion, and now there is literally no point to its existence.

DENYS2K17 #4 Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14994 battles

View PostDK_TORBEN, on 25 November 2020 - 06:04 AM, said:

It's too slow to reach the front line before the fight is over. 

No, it's not too slow. It's really fast, despite the fact that it's a medium tank that carries a good amount of armor.

Duke_Harkonnen #5 Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20696 battles
It pity when it catches me in corridor.

_HakunaMatata_ #6 Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 81355 battles
SLOW SLOW SLOW PLUS the gun feels like a TD. WG needs to improve the speed and gun then people will like it.

undutchable80 #7 Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:22 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 17565 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
2020 equipment layout: Turbo, GR, Optics?

dUG1 #8 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39904 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

View PostMisago, on 25 November 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

The Superpershing was my first t8 premium tank, and it is currently the tank I have the most battles in. I saw it through all its iterations, all the buffs and nerfs, and I have this to say:

Don't buy this. If you want an american medium crew trainer, spare yourselves the frustration and find another solution.

The idea of the SP is great on paper. Historically, it was an experimental long 90mm on a regular Pershing that the americans bolted some extra armor plates on for improved survivability. So you'd expect that this special gun would give the SP a pretty sweet pen value, as historically it did, right? Well, you'd be wrong. The pen is barely at the lower end of what recent premium tanks got, and that's after a recent buff. For the longest time, it was even worse, and even with the slight buff, it's still on the low end of recent premiums, and, again, it's no longer its selling point.

The armor? It used to hold up pretty well, I got a lot of steel walls in my SP back in the day. But again, the advent of more high-pen guns even among mediums means that you are not gonna be holding up much fire, when most enemies can just shoot straight through your armor. You can get a small chuckle when some tryhard in a KPZ50 with full gold fails to realize that his fancy HEAT pen is useless against spaced turret armor, but most of the time you'll get killed pretty swiftly. Don't even get me started on the weaksponts (a hull weakspot on a medium tank?! Remember when weakspots where a thing you needed to hide?!), especially on the turret. It ruins all point of the armor if your enemy has any idea what he is doing.

But surely, a medium tank is not meant to fight head-on, right? Why not just use the super-long gun to flank, or snipe? That's the other thing. For all the claims about the gun, it's just pretty bad. Accuracy, aim time, dispersion values, shell velocity... It SHOULD play more like a tank destroyer, considering its roots. But the gun is not good, and as for flanking...

That's where we get to the mobility. It's atrocious. And I don't mean "atrocious for a medium tank". I mean "even for heavy tanks this is not a good look". Yes, the SP was slower than a regular Pershing because of the added weight of gun and armor, but considering WG never cared about historical accuracy anyways when all those russian heavies and mediums got armor with the effectiveness of concrete, yet weighing as much as a sheet of paper for all practices purposes, giving this poor tank at least some mobility might have made it usable. After all, against mediums, there's at least a slight chance the armor will hold up against some old tier 7 or tier 8 tanks. But if you try to go for the medium spots, you will not get there. Ever. I saw someone suggest using turbocharger and grousers on SP, which sounds good, but you'd need to give up either rammer or vstab, and either one will hurt the already bad gun performance even more. That's a high cost for a bandaid slapped over the open, infected wound of mobility.

As a cherry on top, you don't even need the SP armor at all. You can have better medium tanks with more effective armor. The meta is for hulldown mediums anyway, so grab yourself a Centurion (or the CS-52 / Centurion mk5 if you do want a premium) or any of the other american t8 premiums if you really want to fit that role (except the Ripper Patton, another atrocity of WG's balance department).

My recommendation as a long-standing Superpershing owner: do not buy this tank. You know how we play this game for the rare exciting rounds between MM BS, artillery and gold spam? Things will get even rarer in the Superpershing. It used to be a solid, playable medium with an unusual gimmick, but increased armor and pen among all tanks, but especially mediums, have powercreeped it into oblivion, and now there is literally no point to its existence.

+1

Its a 2013. tank that has no place in current "meta".

Slow, trash gun, armor mostly useless - whats not to like :trollface:

O_o_Babbuino #9 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47331 battles
  • [SCOBA] SCOBA

View PostMisago, on 25 November 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

KV-5 just stopped by to say hi

DK_TORBEN #10 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 55843 battles

View PostDENYS2K17, on 25 November 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

No, it's not too slow. It's really fast, despite the fact that it's a medium tank that carries a good amount of armor.

It's one of the slowest mediums!!!!!! 

Cheezix #11 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43331 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
why

BSHDBCG #12 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7365 battles

View PostCheezix, on 25 November 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

why

I guess:

Because collectors like Saxsan4?

Edited by BSHDBCG, 25 November 2020 - 09:36 AM.

Miepie #13 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:51 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7778 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostO_o_Babbuino, on 25 November 2020 - 09:09 AM, said:

KV-5 just stopped by to say hi

Lies! The KV5 does not stop for anything! It just drives either through or over it all! :izmena:

dennyghost #14 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 21513 battles
  • [GIFTD] GIFTD
I would buy SP, if it cost 5 euros max.

_Saqis64_GR_ #15 Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 98854 battles
  • [G_U_N] G_U_N
Nice and slow new tank! :P

rimmer_the #16 Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4011 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T
Anemic AP pen and alpha against faster tanks with more alpha at the same tier ? This thing meets a WV or a LIS, it loses unless you are very skilled or in tune with this tank. 

Edited by rimmer_the, 25 November 2020 - 10:06 AM.

saxsan4 #17 Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 30123 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
its a great tank, I love mine

Edited by saxsan4, 25 November 2020 - 10:13 AM.

Gunnymeister #18 Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 622 battles
It's painfully slow don't bother.

Buoze #19 Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21018 battles

Do not buy it.

Slow, no armor, no dynamics, no penetration, no accuracy.

So for what it is good for? - To take the space in the trash can.

Yikesz #20 Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:28 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5967 battles
It's funny how some people say it's a great tank, they probably don't have better tanks so they don't know :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users