Tank 'Skinning' F.A.Q & Basic Preparation of Skins for Painting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

PURP #21 Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I believe the reason for your 'Negative Rep' was due to your posting your skin in a thread dedicated to answering questions about skinning and offering tips and help, rather than as a gallery/skin download thread. Not to mention your last post, where you've said "i will give thoses noobs little helping hand" is hardly an endearing or helpful way to address any who might look for a guide to help them with skinning.

i stand corrected leo i made changes to my post hope this helps out didnt mean to stomp all over your post no disrespect intended.

Spyme #22 Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:48 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5038 battles
Anyone allready know a working example to get DirectDraw Surfaces work with Photoshop 64 Versions? (Almost every plugin out there only works on 32 bit versions)
And my DVD only has the x64 Version of the Creative Suite, so i cant set-up a virtual machine for a 32bit version.

And btw: I you are know what you´re doing, try to edit the normal maps too, to bring details.

vikingdeath #23 Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 9384 battles
I need a dds. plugin fpr adobe photoshop cs5, does anybody know where i can get that ?

http://developer.nvi...ture_tools.html
http://developer.nvi...ds_plugins.html

both links doesent work for CS5

i would be nice if somebody could post a like or explain me how its work with cs5 :)

atm im working with gimp, but i dont like that program :)

Spyme #24 Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5038 battles

View Postvikingdeath, on 05 September 2010 - 09:53 AM, said:

I need a dds. plugin fpr adobe photoshop cs5, does anybody know where i can get that ?

http://developer.nvi...ture_tools.html
http://developer.nvi...ds_plugins.html

both links doesent work for CS5

i would be nice if somebody could post a like or explain me how its work with cs5 :)

atm im working with gimp, but i dont like that program :)

Read my post above yours...
If you have a x64 Version of PS, Plugins didn´t work.
You have to open the Surface via Gimp or something else, save it as something lossless, edit and save it with PS. (save as .dds works with x64 PS too, including normal map support)

leofwine #25 Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
Currently rewriting the guide so it is more indepth. Expect it to be finished...errr...soon™

Parts One and Two pretty much done. Will work on Part Three (Camouflage) and Four (Details) at a later date, most likely by the 10/9/2010. Having spent over 4 hours thinking on how to rewrite and actually rewriting parts 1 & 2, I think I deserve a break for now.

Steiner #26 Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3728 battles
  • [SWEFH] SWEFH
Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage when applying basecoat to painting everything as you suggest as to just masking and using fill? (A basecoat should be fairly uniform after all).

Any suggestions on various blending modes/opacities for different tasks such as markings, basecoats etc (or different settings for different colors as light on dark isn't exactly the same as dark on light).

Love the guide so far and interested to learn more

Maybe a section on weathering? applying dust/mud/rust etc (a Dunkelgrau Pz II/t35 changes looks quite dramatically after being coated in the dust of the Russian steppes in the hot summer). (not only how but maybe also key target areas for realistic effect).

leofwine #27 Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
I'll do my best, have a little too much on my plate at the moment to do immediate work on the guide, but I have been experimenting with mud/dirt & adding dents/rust.

Posted Image

The above is with the first coat of 'mud' and 'dirt' using a texture that Dr. Noooo created and put into the 'Tank Skins !' thread. I intend to add lighter coats for a fuller spectrum of dust/mud.

As far as your questions go;

The basecoat is essentially for uniformity and finding which pieces need to be painted. I do it as I've written in the guide - find the obvious parts, paint them, then start painting and checking in-game to see what I've missed and what I should not have painted. Those are the advantages of a basecoat. It also makes it easier later on when applying camouflage to make sure there isn't any overlap of edges if the camouflage paint is applied over a uniform base. Means you can also have the tank ready to be painted in a colour that you can experiment different colour schemes, rather than painting an entire tank in camouflage, not liking it and having to start from scratch.

Light/Dark & Dark/Light; It does affect it, quite majorly at times. When I repainted my Hotchkiss H38 premium tank I had the base coat in a brighter than was necessary colour, and when I tried to apply the green camouflage in my usual way, with Overlay mode, the paint came out a deep, rich yellow-brown. To counter this I used that as a 'basecoat' for the camouflage and painted the correct colour over the top with the mode set to Softlight and the opacity to 50%. It is something I will try to address with part 3, using both overlays and other methods.

Next, decals & blending/opacities; This was something that I was going to cover in part 4. With decals I find using the Normal Mode is fine, it just pays to play with the Opacity & Fill levels. These will adjust not only how opaque the item is, but how 'full' the colours look - lower fill should = more worn appearance. 'least thats how its worked so far for me.

Important thing to remember is that this is not a Masterclass in skin painting, I'm not 'good' enough or knowledgable in making skins to write something along those lines, this was essentially meant to be techniques I use to do my skins and may help other people to do theirs - a 'correct' and 'definitive' way to skin tanks this is most certainly not.

With the above said, I would really appreciate it if other skinners were able to give us an insight into their techniques, and if they wanted them put into the guide then I will with full credit.

stacksmasher #28 Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:17 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I just finished skinning my tank, but no one can see it but me?

leofwine #29 Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
I refer you sir to the FAQ;

Q. I have painted up my skin/am using a skin I downloaded, but every tank of the same type looks the same as my tank. Is there anyway to change this, as I only want the skin on my tank?
A. Currently the skins are held locally, as in on your computer, rather than on the server, and as of the current moment there can only be one skin choice per tank type. As far as I am aware, there will be a 'paint' room, and certainly the developers will be offering new skins for vehicles in the future (whether they will cost in-game or actual currency I don't know).

Essentially any skin you use will only be visible upon your screen :)

JesDK #30 Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 78 battles
Would the OP please add to this FAQ, that when creators save their final work as DDS, they preferably save them as DXT1 No Alpha's with Mip Maps enabled.

This not only minimizes file size, memory use and load times, but also does not incur performance issues for people using medium settings or lower.

knuck58 #31 Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 22291 battles
  • [TFHUK] TFHUK
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the history brush in Photo Shop, very handy little tool for tidying up all the little details.

ivanzu #32 Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3369 battles
  • [-HIT-] -HIT-
guys how do i save my dds file i saved it and when  go to see the file its just blank. :mellow:

Frehelias #33 Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5016 battles
Use the correct settings to save a .dds file. And use no alpha channel.

Soraph #34 Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7052 battles
is http://developer.nvi...ds_plugins.html a good DDS plugin for Photoshop CS2?

Frehelias #35 Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5016 battles

View PostSoraph, on 24 September 2010 - 03:26 PM, said:

is http://developer.nvi...ds_plugins.html a good DDS plugin for Photoshop CS2?
I believe it's the only DDS/Normal Map Filter plugin for Photoshop available.
And it is a good one. I use it myself as well.

Soraph #36 Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7052 battles
Many many thanks

Kubana #37 Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29391 battles
  • [KRAWL] KRAWL
nice work leo keep up!

General_Stolzenberg #38 Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6205 battles
well guys... I dont know if its right to post it here but I want to create a camoflage pattern first before texturing, so I wanted to create a kind of "Buntfarbenmuster 31 'SplitterTarn'" in a grey or dark version. but well I dont know how to create those little stripes over the main pattern.
Is there any possibility to create them in photoshop? (Im not very expierenced with it)

Ok done it. Got my frist prototype of the urban camoflage.

Spoiler                     
sry for the size

Kubana #39 Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 29391 battles
  • [KRAWL] KRAWL
absolutly great work!!!!!

BIG UPZ MR!

General_Stolzenberg #40 Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6205 battles
yeah but Im not satisfied^^ have to do it again without the filterorption. made it with the render filters and so... but I dont like the edges.

Spoiler                     
new project for small vehicles or tankhunters.
Treebark camo, never used on vehicles.. but still cool

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users