Tank 'Skinning' F.A.Q & Basic Preparation of Skins for Painting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

leofwine #61 Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
The Bison ones are brilliant, currently basing my British Sherman in camouflage for Italy on one of their guides. I'd highly recommend using them, and thanks for posting the link, will add to front page.

DrPhlox #62 Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Where or how do you get the template for your tank to skin?

leofwine #63 Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
The skins are located in the following folder: "World of Tanks\Res\Vehicles\<Side>\<Vehicle name>\'thevehiclename.dds'".

Once you've located the *.dds file, create a folder somewhere (I do it in 'My Pictures' folders) and copy it over. You can then extract the skin/template from the *.dds using either a DDS convertor or a plugin for GIMP or Photoshop. This will give you the basic skin/template to work from.

Make sure you backup the *.dds file before you start editting anything!

Rosko #64 Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 12017 battles
  • [CRYA] CRYA
I wish I would have never found this post. I've spent hours playing with tanks skins. Here is the first one I actually liked. I layered two types of digital camo on each other and it turned out brilliant.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_013.jpg   388.38K
  • Attached File   shot_015.jpg   374.27K

kwallebal #65 Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 9 battles
Can other players see you're pimped tanks?

Frehelias #66 Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 5144 battles

View Postkwallebal, on 04 December 2010 - 01:17 PM, said:

Can other players see you're pimped tanks?
No you are the only one who sees different tank skins. Other people will see the tank as they have it installed on their PC. So that is they will see it with the standard colours. Or with the skin they use.

JesDK #67 Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:49 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 78 battles
Heh, I see OP added my snip. Thanks.

Still, I see lots of NEW skins that either have unneeded alpha's, or no mip maps, or indeed remove the mip maps from track textures.
Saving your textures properly is important people, especially if you plan to share your work and see it used. :)

To recap, the following things are worth remembering:

Mipmaps are smaller images saved in the same file. These are used for distant and/or low priority objects shown ingame.
They are also commonly loaded by people running textures set to medium or lower.
For these, rendering cost is reduced, as is load time and overall memory use. The additional harddrive space consumed is low. (roughly + 35% filesize)

Alpha Maps are the fourth channel in any DXTc texture, the three others being Red, Green, Blue. (making up your diffuse)
This channel determines, in World of Tanks at least, the transparency areas, and the strength thereof.

They are IMPORTANT to keep in textures that already have them - tracks especially - to keep the graphical quality of transparency existing.
HOWEVER, they also consume much more harddrive space, as well as memory, than for example mipmaps. (roughly DOUBLE filesize)

As said before, if your texture does not, or should not, contain an alpha map, you should save it as a DXT1 No Alpha.
However, if your texture does have one, use the following picture to guide you to using the proper DXTx compression method:

Posted Image

(The above image was made for, and with texture work from, the games Dawn of War 1 and 2, and was made to guide modders at the RelicNews forum)

Keep in mind, some DDS compression utilities/plugins support saving as pure 16/24/32bit files. (RGB/ARGB)
These are UNCOMPRESSED images, and WILL take up a LOT of harddrive space. Their only advantage is NO loss of quality whatsoever (DXT-compressed images will always suffer slight quality loss)

xtamppelix #68 Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 6201 battles
Thank you so much!  This thread really helped alot to started with WoT Skins and such  ;D

Keep up the great work! http://forum.worldof...le_honoring.gif

SuperKarohshi #69 Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 88 battles
Hello Guys, I am trying to make a "Japan-Skin" for the T-29, but I don't get rid of the US-Sign.
And it's not in the "normal" texture files (T29_01...)
I use GIMP to edit the files.

Steiner #70 Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3761 battles

View PostSuperKarohshi, on 13 February 2011 - 09:44 PM, said:

Hello Guys, I am trying to make a "Japan-Skin" for the T-29, but I don't get rid of the US-Sign.
And it's not in the "normal" texture files (T29_01...)
I use GIMP to edit the files.

C:\Games\World_of_Tanks_closed_Beta\res\particles\Decals\graffiti_stickers.dds

contains the national insignias etc pasted on to ever vehicle.

ridleyrumpus #71 Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 23387 battles
  • [BDB] BDB
I dont know if this has been mentioned before but why not use JSGME (JonesSoft Generic Mod Enabler) to switch skins?

Automatically switches the files if the mod is made correctly, which is very simple and allows you to switch back just as easily.

Ridley

laudano #72 Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11684 battles
**EDIT: NVM solved

BallSabre #73 Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8978 battles
A quick question for you who have invested more time to this than I have/can.

Is it possible to change how your tank looks in ways other than just pain jobs?

For example.
My stock Panther looked by ways better than my fully upgraded Panther which I consider to look pretty horrible in fact (that pointy cannon and DB's turret just........). So would it be possible to replace the fully upgraded Panthers skin with the Stock ones while keeping the better stats?

I have some knowledge on programming and don't see this being impossible since different skins are already possible. It should be possible to just switch the model files?

Thank you in advace.

leofwine #74 Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles
It is possible to play around with the models so you can 'change' around the models so you can retain the look of the stock Panther when its fully kitted out. But! you'd have to recieve instruction from someone else who can tell you how to do it. I think it's a simple copy-paste/rename job but I'm not 100% sure.

Steiner #75 Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3761 battles

View Postleofwine, on 02 May 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

It is possible to play around with the models so you can 'change' around the models so you can retain the look of the stock Panther when its fully kitted out. But! you'd have to recieve instruction from someone else who can tell you how to do it. I think it's a simple copy-paste/rename job but I'm not 100% sure.

It is a relatively simple job of copy/rename the correct files. Every tank have a normal/lod0 folder which contains the parts (3 files for each part). As the mantle is modeled with the gun you need one set of files per gun and turret its used with (so say turret 1 can use 3 guns and turret 2 2 of the same guns plus one that won't fit turret 1, that makes it 6 set of files for the uns and two sets for the turrets).
I've posted finished replacement mods for some tanks on these forums (Pz IV, Panther etc).

If needed I could post a step by step guide for creating your own mods (LoL tractor with Mause turret anyone?).

TheRock73 #76 Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 13831 battles
http://imageshack.us.../is7jungle.jpg/
http://imageshack.us...esert2copy.jpg/

http://imageshack.us...desertcopy.jpg/

http://imageshack.us...junglecopy.jpg/

http://imageshack.us...53/is7snow.jpg/

Mike_Shinoda #77 Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10599 battles
PLEASE HELP!!! Where do I post the skin so they can see it? I already made one!

leofwine #78 Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1579 battles

View PostMike_Shinoda, on 11 May 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

PLEASE HELP!!! Where do I post the skin so they can see it? I already made one!

Depends what you mean;
- If you mean so that everyone can see it on the battlefield then I'm afraid only you will see it as all skins are seen on your client only
- If you mean where to post a finished skin then there are a few threads lurking around (such as this one). Or if you intend to make more in the future then make your own thread & maintain it. It's what many of us (serial) skinners do :) In fact I've been so super cheeky that I've had two threads so far. The extravagance!
- If you mean where to put it in the WoT directory, look for the Nation & then the name of the tank and put the .dds into there.

As a more general reply to the thread, I am going to be working on updating this, bit by bit, as it was a little out of date and I've learnt new techniques/ways of doing things since then. I will also finally include a tutorial on how to do decals/numbers/text/stuff on top of the skins.

@TheRock1973
If you could remove your picture links from this thread I'd be grateful. This thread is solely for answering questions on, and helping people with, skinning, not a place for displaying, or linking downloads of, tank skins.

lajgutking #79 Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 2374 battles
Hy i downloaded the Gimp 2.6.11 version. I downloaded the DDS plugin but not open the file, but give me an error massege. pls help me!

CyBear #80 Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10748 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC
I have downloaded GIMP as well. I have added a layer and a decal in that layer, but when I attempt to save the file I get this error:
"DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map,
but not all layers are the same size, thus a volume
map cannot be written."
In-game the tank appears to be changed and looks ok though... Anyone know what the errormessage is all about?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users