Jump to content


IS3-2

equipment worth it?

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

_GrooziN_ #1 Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:29 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7559 battles
  • 305
  • Member since:
    01-10-2020

As the double-barrel tanks will be TOTT in Dec, I'm planning to purchase tier 9. I liked tier 8 and did reasonably well in it. Is tier 9 better? Does the playstyle differ? Can you sit hull-down and expect to bounce? What equipment people are using? Is turbo worth it/better than optics? Can you drop vstab for IRM and would the tank benefit from it?

 

I know there's seperate forum section for vehicle discussions, but I couldn't find the info there and will likely get a quicker response here.  



Isharial #2 Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:11 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 29737 battles
  • 2,923
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

the IS-3-2 was always considered the "best" of the 3, and its still pretty good.

 

you can sit hulldown and expect bounces yes, but you are low down and ive found that many hills are too tall to hide your hull while exposing only your guns - you have to pull out so far to see over them that you can end up exposing part of the "pike" - ive found that on maps such as pilsen, driving up a rubble pile and looking <90 over the side can expose you less than the traditional way

 

ive run Turbo, (bounty) vents, aim unit - and that build has worked quite nicely for me - ive never considered vstabs since the equipment 2.0, i just dont see the point in it when aim unit + IRM exist

 

 

remember to use that double shot though, it can result in some interesting ammoracks :P

 

 



DuncaN_101 #3 Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 59458 battles
  • 3,870
  • [TEC] TEC
  • Member since:
    07-29-2011
I'm curious about this aswell... Got the T8 of this line and I intend to grind it next month.

Captain_Kremen0 #4 Posted 30 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 42899 battles
  • 2,957
  • [-WR--] -WR--
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011
Just finished grinding the KV3 for the second time so this is quite good timing.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Moderator
  • 25289 battles
  • 7,377
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

IMO is the worst of the 3.

Pike nose means armour is on/off depending on enemy penetration value. 

The turret isn't that strong either, with many tier 9 and 10 being able to pen it with gold.

At least IS-2-2 was fast and fast firing and ST-2 got armour and good penetration values. 

 

BTW, I played mine with vents, VStab and optics, but that was before Equipment 2.0. Now I may exchange optics for IRM.



_GrooziN_ #6 Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 7559 battles
  • 305
  • Member since:
    01-10-2020

View PostDava_117, on 30 November 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

At least IS-2-2 was fast and fast firing and ST-2 got armour and good penetration values. 

 

BTW, I played mine with vents, VStab and optics, but that was before Equipment 2.0. Now I may exchange optics for IRM.

I thought IS3-2 is faster than tier 8? Checked on tanks.gg and it seems to be the case. Am I missing sth? Also, DPM is better and there's an option to use stock gun, as suggested in one of Dez's videos. 



Dava_117 #7 Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Moderator
  • 25289 battles
  • 7,377
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View Post_GrooziN_, on 30 November 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

I thought IS3-2 is faster than tier 8? Checked on tanks.gg and it seems to be the case. Am I missing sth? Also, DPM is better and there's an option to use stock gun, as suggested in one of Dez's videos. 

 

Maybe it's faster, but it didn't felt faster. Probably due to armour being bad.

I wouldn't really use the stock gun, as you lack the penetration to deal with tier 10 effectively. 



undutchable80 #8 Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:53 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 17451 battles
  • 5,647
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014
based on the reviews the Tier 9 is the best of the 3. Already have the IS-3-II unlocked, but I am unsure whether or not to grind my way to, and buy the TX...

Isharial #9 Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 29737 battles
  • 2,923
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View Post_GrooziN_, on 30 November 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

I thought IS3-2 is faster than tier 8? Checked on tanks.gg and it seems to be the case. Am I missing sth? Also, DPM is better and there's an option to use stock gun, as suggested in one of Dez's videos. 

 

the stock gun for the IS-3-2? i think thats classed as trolling... 300 dps at T9? even mediums have more alpha so the armour would be worthless given they'd just rush you.

its not even that much "better" - its less than 200 difference (on mine its specifically 196) compared to the top gun, for what is worse pen and alpha as well... that tiny DPM difference would be only theoretically possible....

 

 

View PostDava_117, on 30 November 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

IMO is the worst of the 3.

Pike nose means armour is on/off depending on enemy penetration value. 

The turret isn't that strong either, with many tier 9 and 10 being able to pen it with gold.

At least IS-2-2 was fast and fast firing and ST-2 got armour and good penetration values. 

 

BTW, I played mine with vents, VStab and optics, but that was before Equipment 2.0. Now I may exchange optics for IRM.

 

the IS-3-2 is ofcourse faster than both of the others (in the game). top speed is lower than the ST-II but better p/w means it can actually get there quickly (even more so with turbo)

 

Pike isnt as weak as i originally thought it was - its actually quite strong head on, and ofcourse, your not going to bounce many TX gold with a T9, but then, how many tanks can do that reliably as it is?

 

 



Dava_117 #10 Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:17 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Moderator
  • 25289 battles
  • 7,377
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostIsharial, on 30 November 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

 

the IS-3-2 is ofcourse faster than both of the others (in the game). top speed is lower than the ST-II but better p/w means it can actually get there quickly (even more so with turbo)

 

Pike isnt as weak as i originally thought it was - its actually quite strong head on, and ofcourse, your not going to bounce many TX gold with a T9, but then, how many tanks can do that reliably as it is?

 

 

 

Tanks like ST-1, Mauschen or 777 can, because they got a good armour layout.

That is why I think is the worst.

Tier for tier, it has the worst penetration, the less usable armour layout and is not that fast either. The T-10 is arguably better at pushing a line, due to better top speed and marginally better P/W, and also at keeping an hulldown position.

It would literally be a worst T-10 if it wasn't for the double barrels.

On the other hand, we have ST-1 that is comparable to IS-4 in terms of armour and firepower, exchanging some armour effectiveness and HEAT pen for better depression and soft stats.

And we also have IS-2-2, that has an arguably better turret, tier for tier, and a more usable armour layout.

 

TLDR 

IMO IS-3-2 has absolutely nothing going for it. In most of the situation you're better off being in a T-10 or in an ST-1.

Also IMO, IS-2-2 is the second best tier 8 tech tree Soviet HT, just after KV-4, due to flexibility.

 

 

 


Edited by Dava_117, 30 November 2020 - 03:17 PM.


Isharial #11 Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:55 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 29737 battles
  • 2,923
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

View PostDava_117, on 30 November 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

 

Tanks like ST-1, Mauschen or 777 can, because they got a good armour layout.

That is why I think is the worst.

Tier for tier, it has the worst penetration, the less usable armour layout and is not that fast either. The T-10 is arguably better at pushing a line, due to better top speed and marginally better P/W, and also at keeping an hulldown position.

It would literally be a worst T-10 if it wasn't for the double barrels.

On the other hand, we have ST-1 that is comparable to IS-4 in terms of armour and firepower, exchanging some armour effectiveness and HEAT pen for better depression and soft stats.

And we also have IS-2-2, that has an arguably better turret, tier for tier, and a more usable armour layout.

 

TLDR 

IMO IS-3-2 has absolutely nothing going for it. In most of the situation you're better off being in a T-10 or in an ST-1.

Also IMO, IS-2-2 is the second best tier 8 tech tree Soviet HT, just after KV-4, due to flexibility.

 

 

 

 

since ive never played the others (and never will because i cba to learn angling), i cant comment on whether they are "good" or "bad", but i can say id rather have an M4 51 over any of the ones you've listed simply due to speed and the turret. no point in armour and health if you cant ever put it into the fight when its needed. 

cant say ive ever seen a "good" Mauschen - they either die instantly when they fail push, or die later having done nothing useful - its also regarded as trash and the sheer lack of them i see in game sort of confirms that (atleast to me)

 

i dont block much in the IS-3-2, but then im no heavy player, the M4 was alot easier to play in that regard, no angling, no trying to bait shots and constantly be repairing tracks etc... etc.. not my kind of thing.

 

 

i find the IS-2-2 just doesnt have the "fear" factor that other tanks have.. i see them with other T8's and see an XP piñata, i dont feel that same way facing an IS-3-2. Perhaps it is simply the T9 icon, but i fear those more than i any of the tanks you've noted.

i played it quite a bit on the CT but could never like it - when it came to the grind i played 1 game and forgot about it, then sold it and blueprinted the next tank.. 

 

id say that the IS-2-2 is ok as a tank, but then, compared to IS-3 and IS-M, does being better than those 2 really mean much?

 

 

we will see how the ST-II plays, but as much as i want to like it, i will probably not, as i dont all the TX's ive played 

 

 

 

 

 



Dava_117 #12 Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:59 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Moderator
  • 25289 battles
  • 7,377
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostIsharial, on 30 November 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

cant say ive ever seen a "good" Mauschen - they either die instantly when they fail push, or die later having done nothing useful - its also regarded as trash and the sheer lack of them i see in game sort of confirms that (atleast to me)

 

Won't comment on the rest of the post, cause personal preference are personal. 

This part tho is tragically true. I saw almost no well played Mauschen. Most players completely neglect armour usage for some reason. A couple of days ago I farmed an almost full HP Mauschen in my 170 HP KV-4. The guy kept peeking exposing LFP and unangled turret front.

I saw some players actually using sidescraping correctly, but again they forget to bait shot and just keep exposing the unangled turret.

Those guys are why we have 279e, Type5 and such in game...

Personally I found Mauschen a solid HT. Not as well armoured as the Maus, but still capable of taking punishment. After all it still has at least 155mm side armour and 240mm turret front with huge angling potential. Had fun with that and should actually try it out now with Equipment 2.0. Improve Hardening/VStab/IRM should help to make it a really good sidescraper, solving it's line main weakness: traverse speed.



Robbie_T #13 Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:29 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 25176 battles
  • 2,006
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

If you liked the tier 8 you will like the tier 9

I have the whole line and even to start to like the tier 10 (it aint that bad with a reasonble crew)







Also tagged with equipment, worth it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users