Pearl River's west flank - the ''beach'' of Pearl River.

Gameplay Maps Pearl River Flanks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Lanrefni #1 Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:19 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 43618 battles
  • [AAV] AAV

Why does this flank exist? Why does it bring so many players to it? Does it have to do with the sheer size of it on the minimap... or something? It doesn't even provide map control much like the beach on Overlord. Unlike the Temple area, as well as the eastern corridors because from those particular spots, you get vantage points to shoot on most directions of the map...

The west flank merely allows pushing to the base, but given that most of the terrain there is ridglines, it usually ends up in a stalemate with opposing tanks going hulldown. Then it ends up, that about 3-7 tanks go that direction but nothing ever comes of it, which means you end up losing either of the 2 remaining flanks, and thus the game.

Can something be done about this? It's annoying. Maybe make the Temple area accessible by giving it the Karelia treatment with the ''pants''? As in pushing up by driving through the swamp in Karelia?

That would give an incentive to further more plays towards the west, as you could (in theory) push up and enter the Temple from the opposing side, much like Karelia, which then should mean that you get more map control out of that useless flank.

_Maginot40 #2 Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1817 battles
Longer ranges, no need to kiss the other tanks and compared to the temple area there is room for more than one tank.

Lanrefni #3 Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:49 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 43618 battles
  • [AAV] AAV

View Post_Maginot40, on 22 December 2020 - 08:30 PM, said:

Longer ranges, no need to kiss the other tanks and compared to the temple area there is room for more than one tank.

What does this give from a tactical standpoint? Even if you do win that flank, it gives nothing in return. You can't physically control the map from those vantage points. You don't get any real sightlines.

Bordhaw #4 Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17349 battles

Spawn 1 win rate = 52.26%

Spawn 2 win rate = 47.74%

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 16208 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
I always go west because I get lost in the labyrinth on the east side :bajan:

frange #6 Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34841 battles
  • [FRNR] FRNR

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 22 December 2020 - 07:37 PM, said:

I always go west because I get lost in the labyrinth on the east side :bajan:

Same here. Hardly ever play stalinium-armored Objects so doesnt like go brawling and/or facehugging in the corridors in town or the east side.

TheJungleBeast #7 Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17030 battles
I often type ' strong city wins ' when this map loads, seems like it works majority of the time, only problem is when too many go to the md narrow road and block each other.

Steeleye_Spam #8 Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41679 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The west side is dogmeat to whoever owns the village, as there are plenty of sniping places from that position - it is good to have a couple of tanks spotting there though.

FriendlyRussianBunny #9 Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 45027 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostLanrefni, on 22 December 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

Why does this flank exist? Why does it bring so many players to it? Does it have to do with the sheer size of it on the minimap... or something? It doesn't even provide map control much like the beach on Overlord. Unlike the Temple area, as well as the eastern corridors because from those particular spots, you get vantage points to shoot on most directions of the map...

The west flank merely allows pushing to the base, but given that most of the terrain there is ridglines, it usually ends up in a stalemate with opposing tanks going hulldown. Then it ends up, that about 3-7 tanks go that direction but nothing ever comes of it, which means you end up losing either of the 2 remaining flanks, and thus the game.

Can something be done about this? It's annoying. Maybe make the Temple area accessible by giving it the Karelia treatment with the ''pants''? As in pushing up by driving through the swamp in Karelia?

That would give an incentive to further more plays towards the west, as you could (in theory) push up and enter the Temple from the opposing side, much like Karelia, which then should mean that you get more map control out of that useless flank.

I don't recall the map, but I guess is the free target area you can farm from the center?

snowlywhite #10 Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37923 battles

you can prevent a push in your cap from both heavy line and center from the td positions in the west. And center doesn't really farm the fields; it goes both ways.

that being said, yes, it's kinda useless to push. I go there only with tds and if arty present. If no arty and I play td, usually I go center and try to trade if superior alpha. Med/heavy/light - center or "heavy" flank. Center if no turret armor.

Useless to push, but you need not to lose control of it. Case later on you need to defend.

p.s. - not overlord beach. I mean, that's truly useless. More like abbey 9-0?

Edited by snowlywhite, 23 December 2020 - 02:17 AM.

Lanrefni #11 Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:51 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 43618 battles
  • [AAV] AAV

View Postsnowlywhite, on 23 December 2020 - 03:13 AM, said:

Useless to push, but you need not to lose control of it. Case later on you need to defend.

p.s. - not overlord beach. I mean, that's truly useless. More like abbey 9-0?

You do defend from the Temple and from the side-road of the heavy flank. There's a real maximum of 2 tanks which could hold that flank. Plus, once they spot anything that comes through your entire team then knows that it will be easier to push Temple and heavy flank.

Abbey 9-0 is actually something that should be considered. There's plenty of noobs usually coming from that direction and they are all easy to farm from the hill on the west side. Yes, it's happened that people actually cap by pushing 9-0. If they do, it means your team overcomitted to 1/2/3 and usually just won't return in time to defend.

I compare such flanks to the likes of Overlord beach garbage. Because that is how far reaching their functionality and usefulness is.

Block Quote

I don't recall the map, but I guess is the free target area you can farm from the center?

Yes.

Edited by Lanrefni, 23 December 2020 - 02:53 AM.

_Maginot40 #12 Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 1817 battles

View PostLanrefni, on 22 December 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

What does this give from a tactical standpoint? Even if you do win that flank, it gives nothing in return. You can't physically control the map from those vantage points. You don't get any real sightlines.

It do give you control. The temple humpers and the mountaineers can not do much if you control the S and W part of the map.

Robbie_T #13 Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:01 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25185 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Well i dont mind the West flank

Its a nice part for tanks that are not good brawlers

(what you need for the mid and "east" flank)

But what is annoying is having the wrong tanks going there....

Yesterday i am bottom tier 7 IS  ...i have platoon of 3 tier 9 double barrels ...and they go west flank....and not pushing or anything

No nicely sniping from the back on west flank....

meanwhile  IS(me) and 1 tier 8 lowe can hold of there heavy's .... Obj 777 ,T10 ,Sumoa ,Defender ect....on mid

Edited by Robbie_T, 23 December 2020 - 04:02 AM.

StronkiTonki #14 Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:13 AM

Major

• Clan Commander
  • 38335 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

I really like the west flank. It's always super easy shooting people in their sides from the middle there.

Out of seriousness though, I've only really seen use of it lategame, soyeah, pretty useless.

Although I am still of the opinion that the beach on Overlord is not useless, since my teams always keps losing to enemies who took beach. Therefore I also banned Overlord.

Richthoffen #15 Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:54 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34773 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

the whole map is pretty bad, the west flank however is the only place you can go while playing paper armor td's.

for the rest you either have to wait and hope your team loses and you can shoot at the tanks coming out of the city or your team wins and you spend the whole game waiting for nothing and do no damage.

Also tagged with Gameplay, Maps, Pearl River, Flanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users