• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

iuytr #21 Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16981 battles
  • [LOWRO] LOWRO

View PostLethalWalou, on 01 January 2021 - 05:02 PM, said:

There's nothing wrong in what someone wants. You although have to look at the bigger picture of what it would cause if we could better choose what maps we play on with what tanks.

Obviously hard to quantify, but I hardly think increasing the number of excluded maps from 1 (or 2 if you're posh) on just one random battle type to a few more and on other battle types would have a massively harmful effect given the size of the player base.

If it does then that's a pretty strong comment from the player base on the most excluded maps!

Edited by iuytr, 01 January 2021 - 05:42 PM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #22 Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39803 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostChookitypok, on 01 January 2021 - 04:18 PM, said:

It does not effect gameplay on it self, nor the team or map deployment nor the MM or any in-game mechanics. 

Yes it does.

Every arty would filter out the city maps so thereby guaranteeing that you would get triple arty on every other map you play. Every Heavy would filter out the open maps so every city map would be swamped with heavies staring at each other behind rubble piles. Every open map half the team would be light tanks, etc. etc.

This is the trouble when people try to come up with game changes that they claim are to make the game better for everyone but are really just attempts to change the game to suit themselves, they don't consider the bigger picture. 

iuytr #23 Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16981 battles
  • [LOWRO] LOWRO

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 01 January 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

Every arty would filter out the city maps so thereby guaranteeing that you would get triple arty on every other map you play. Every Heavy would filter out the open maps so every city map would be swamped with heavies staring at each other behind rubble piles. Every open map half the team would be light tanks, etc. etc.

You paint a very black and white picture. Do players only play one type of tank? And even if they do filtering out 2 or 3 maps of one type still leaves lots of others of the same type they could get.

Edited by iuytr, 01 January 2021 - 05:54 PM.

Pitulusu #24 Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12759 battles
I need at least 6 maps to exclude... Tundra, Berlin, The new pearl something, kharcov, himmel, that with tranches and forts... oh my, i think 10 will not be enough... all with winter and on

LethalWalou #25 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38233 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View Postiuytr, on 01 January 2021 - 04:41 PM, said:

Obviously hard to quantify, but I hardly think increasing the number of excluded maps from 1 (or 2 if you're posh) on just one random battle type to a few more and on other battle types would have a massively harmful effect given the size of the player base.

If it does then that's a pretty strong comment from the player base on the most excluded maps!

I see increasing the number of available bans as hurting the game. I would although be fully supportive of giving option to ban all battle types on a map. I understand that the maps are different in different modes, and play out differently, and it makes sense to not allow banning in all types of maps now. They could change that though. But more slots on bans is a hard 'no' from me.

Afaik they are planning changes on some of the most excluded maps. Minsk and Empire's Border got rather good suggestions on changes, too bad they have gone silent on them now.

Edited by LethalWalou, 01 January 2021 - 06:05 PM.

lord_chipmonk #26 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37438 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostPitulusu, on 01 January 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

I need at least 6 maps to exclude... Tundra, Berlin, The new pearl something, kharcov, himmel, that with tranches and forts... oh my, i think 10 will not be enough... all with winter and on

Not generally, but many do tend to play a single tank or two tanks exclusively for a session. 

Private_Miros #27 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33292 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMr_Burrows, on 01 January 2021 - 02:34 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what maps have you got filtered out? Question extends to all, not just you personally I might add. :great:

I have excluded Fjords and Highway, the latter after a losing streak on that map no less than a dozen games long (or what it felt like anyway). 

None.

LethalWalou #28 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:27 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38233 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 01 January 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

None.

Can't say this is common from people. Was the reason something like you wanted to learn the maps or do I remember this horribly wrong?

Edited by LethalWalou, 01 January 2021 - 06:28 PM.

Chookitypok #29 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 51233 battles
  • [SZONE] SZONE

If you find maps unplayable, you simply arent as good as your stats imply.

You are artificially making yourself look better than you are.

I'm sorry but that is a far fetched argument. As for a player I am not a statpedder (I am just an avarage player) By no means other then to play a fair game, I like to improve by having more fun on the maps, some of wich I do like and disgard the ones I don't. Some maps are good and some bad for each his/her own. See Inquisixion's entry a bit above just how he feels about maps. 
IF manipulating stats would be an issue there are far more easier means to attend to that. EG; Yolo low tier (3, 4, 5) - "special" Gold ammunition, mono-tank play (specially the OP-tanks). 

As I mentioned; It drains the fun out of the game, simply ending game sessions. No more WOT for the day. 
I know how to (averagely) play the game as I know all the maps. Its simply a dislike. Don't make it more than it is. 

Back in my day this wasn't even a thing.

People need to complain and this is my share. Its an option in the game which I like to address to enhance the gameplay. Just going with the flow of possibilities. 

(Edit: removed Inquisixion hyperlink to profile.)

Edited by Chookitypok, 01 January 2021 - 06:29 PM.

lord_chipmonk #30 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37438 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostLethalWalou, on 01 January 2021 - 06:27 PM, said:

Can't say this is common from people. Was the reason something like you wanted to learn the maps or do I remember this horribly wrong?

That is part of my reasoning. The only exception recently have been basically arty and excluding maps like Ensk. In general though I don't bother. 

Private_Miros #31 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33292 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLethalWalou, on 01 January 2021 - 05:27 PM, said:

Partially, yes. The other aspect is that there are some maps I generally have good games on and know very well, and many maps I have occasional good games on, and no maps I don't have good games on at all.

LethalWalou #32 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38233 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 01 January 2021 - 05:31 PM, said:

That is part of my reasoning. The only exception recently have been basically arty and excluding maps like Ensk. In general though I don't bother. 

It's a perfectly valid reason. If I remembered right that it was Miros' reason, it was good especially for him after coming back to the game from a break.

I sort of have no maps banned either. I used to use it to maps that I didn't have working plays on like Minsk but then I rather learned some plays. Now I have Mines (I just never wanted to see it again) and Airfield (I was asked to ban it by a friend I platoon with most)

Edited by LethalWalou, 01 January 2021 - 06:38 PM.

lord_chipmonk #33 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37438 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostLethalWalou, on 01 January 2021 - 06:35 PM, said:

It's a perfectly valid reason. If I remembered right that it was Miros' reason, it was good especially for him after coming back to the game from a break.

I technically have no maps banned either. I used to use it to maps that I didn't have working plays on like Minsk but then I rather learned some plays. Now I have Mines (I just never wanted to see it again) and Airfield (I was asked to ban it by a friend I platoon with most)

Yeah. I don't think there's a map that I don't have a plan for at all now, though that depends on tank a bit. Even maps like Berlin I'm getting some sort of thing going, in some tanks at least, but that wouldn't happen if I excluded it, so...

Getting re-used to the maps has been the single biggest challenge I found after taking a break from the game. 

Edited by lord_chipmonk, 01 January 2021 - 06:38 PM.

LethalWalou #34 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38233 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 01 January 2021 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yeah. I don't think there's a map that I don't have a plan for at all, though that depends on tank a bit. Even maps like Berlin I'm getting some sort of thing foing, in some tanks at least, but that wouldn't happen if I excluded it, so...

Indeed. Even with a slightly optimistic attitude, it's like a challenge to get working plays and that's how you push yourself to become better. Glacier is pretty much the only one I actually struggle with, and that's with heavy tanks. When I tried to mark 50B I once just decided to sit at the base and shoot all the gold I had. :D It worked surprisingly well but I guess it was just that one time luck.

lord_chipmonk #35 Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37438 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostLethalWalou, on 01 January 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

Glacier is pretty much the only one I actually struggle with, and that's with heavy tanks. When I tried to mark 50B I once just decided to sit at the base and shoot all the gold I had. :D It worked surprisingly well but I guess it was just that one time luck.

Yeah, fallen out of love with glacier recently. Typically I pretend my heavy is a medium and go middle (unless the heavy is really slow), but lately I've been too late to spot much. Still had some decent games on it though spotting the enemy heavies as they come through the "heavy corridor" and allowing our TDs and campers to slam them so I probably shouldn't complain. 

unhappy__bunny #36 Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:15 AM

Major General

• 22426 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

View PostMr_Burrows, on 01 January 2021 - 02:34 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what maps have you got filtered out? Question extends to all, not just you personally I might add. :great:

I have excluded Fjords and Highway, the latter after a losing streak on that map no less than a dozen games long (or what it felt like anyway). 

None. 

Pitulusu #37 Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12759 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 01 January 2021 - 06:07 PM, said:

Not generally, but many do tend to play a single tank or two tanks exclusively for a session. 

maybe when i will have over 30K battles like you and few tanks to research, till then i play like at least 10 tanks each session from all categories and i happen to have LT in himmel and slow HT on prokorovka or other open space maps. Also there are those winter maps where one side has no cover for HT to advance and the other side it's covered and i saw so many times how one or 2 HT didn't even reach they're spots being spotted and killed.

PowJay #38 Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 45819 battles

In answer to Mr_Burrows. 

I have Glacier excluded. I absolutely despise that map and I can give you reasons. 

1. I am a TD player. The suitable TD perches with cover/concealment are useless in terms of view range and being able to hit enemy targets. I don't think I found anywhere I really liked on either side.

2. SPGs. Although I don't play them that often, I never really found a suitable location that was safe and able to hit either of the two main brawling points. The central ridge means that the aim area is elongated and unpredictable,

3. Scouts. Useful, but see above. No use spotting for TDs and SPGs that cannot hit anything.

That leaves MTs that brawl on one side and HTs that brawl on the other and it can be possible to support the elevated track with a TD, but the long and short of it is, although I had some really good battles here, most went on far too long only to end in destruction and loss. And, no. I don't think I need more tinfoil, I absolutely hate it.

I had a hard time choosing between Glacier and Ensk, but while I despise Ensk, battles are over so quickly, either for me or everyone, that I decided I preferred to block Glacier.

Currently, with some free Premium time (mission rewards) I have Berlin also blocked as I am as certain as I can be that I have lost between seven and nine battles in a row here recently.

jack_timber #39 Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 48756 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Empires Border and Paris are the banned ones for me....

View PostFizzleMcSnizzle, on 01 January 2021 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think there should be an anti-filter for clickers. Make them play Himmelsdorf every game.

Not to bad a map for 'clickers', well I can make it work.

Blubba #40 Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

Major

• Player
  • 67995 battles
Empires Border. Just don't like it. I play anything and everything on anything and everything..... except Empires Border

Also tagged with exclude, map, ban, no fun, more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users