Equipment

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

splash_time #1 Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 19109 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi guys, I'm playing STA-1 atm, what equipment you'll advice for this line?

Currently running only rammer and optic, should I go for V-stab? Or Vent?

Regards,

Splash.

tank276 #2 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58286 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE
V-stabs, rammer and vents for me Splash. You can always drop vents for optics according to your playstyle.

Nishi_Kinuyo #3 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

General

• Player
  • 11974 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Rammer, Turbocharger and Optics for tier 4-7.

splash_time #4 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 19109 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 08 January 2021 - 08:09 PM, said:

Rammer, Turbocharger and Optics for tier 4-7.

I appreciate your feedback, but I'm playing the T8-10. :D

NiLx0 #5 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10319 battles
  • [IQ101] IQ101

Well too me optics i smust on almost all tanks (not the ones whith 300 wr lol)

It will give u extra dmg for spoting and at and game if u need to carry well is must

Then reload and aim bonus...

GalmTwo #6 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12320 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

VSTAB or IRM, Vents and Optics on the STA1. You can drop vents for a rammer, too.

For the T9, you can take the same, and you can swap out vents for a rammer or even turbo, as the T9 is pretty sluggish.

T10 is the same as tier 9, sans the turbo (I feel that the T10 is fast enough already).

facmanpob #7 Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7063 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
Currently running turbo, rammer and optics in the Tier 9. Still doing the module grind and looking forward to getting the top engine and gun, but I think the equipment I have is the best option. Now all I have to do is learn to play it better!

Infryndiira #8 Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27886 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

For me, as follows:

• Tiers IV through VII: Turbocharger, Rammer, and Coated Optics
  • Tiers VIII through IX: Improved Ventilation or Coated Optics, Rammer, Vertical Stabiliser
  • Tier X: Improved Ventilation, Rammer, Coated Optics

FatigueGalaxy #9 Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25751 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

It seems that many people didn't notice that Type 61:

• has one of the best gun handling of all tier 9 medium tanks (bested only by Patton and E50 and only on turret traverse!),
  • is the slowest tier 9 medium tank.

So Turbocharger is an obvious answer. This is very important because now it has 360 alpha so you need better mobility to use your DPM to the fullest and avoid taking damage in return. If you have at lest half-decent crew and/or you use food - turbo is the answer.

Also, Type 61 has better power/weight ration than Leopard PTA and Standard B. Mobility is great but top speed is major limiting factor of this tank. As a bonus you get 26 km/h reverse speed which is life-saving.

Rammer and Coated Optics are mandatory. Rammer because the best thing and probably the only saving grace of Type 61 is firepower. Optics because you are paper, big and your camo is bad - you can't allow yourself to be out-spotted. I probably wouldn't swap optics for vents even after reaching ~460 m view range (all view range skills, BiA and food) because camo is that bad.

Gwynbleidd11 #10 Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22365 battles
Type 61 definitely needs Vertical Stabilizer with the top gun unlike some are "suggesting" here. Gun handling is not good enough for paper medium to play without it. Other equipment - rammer, optics.

Edited by Gwynbleidd11, 08 January 2021 - 11:05 PM.

tajj7 #11 Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32603 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I would say all of them v-stab, rammer and optics, standard general med set up because that is what they are all rounder paper meds. 

Vents and maybe a turbo are an option, but personally in the camper meta I want as much view range as possible and their gun handling is not god like and paper meds need to aim as little as possible in the current meta so I wouldn't recommend them without v-stab personally. 

Turbo I feel is nice on paper, but the practical impact is actually pretty minor for already mobile tanks, 45 or 50kph is largely irrelevant if you already have good engine power and the faster the vehicle goes the more diminishing returns you get to percentage improvement.  Until they bring out a bounty turbo IMO turbo just isn't making a big enough difference unless you are already in a very slow tank.  Just think how often in a largely static campy or brawly meta you need to be going your top speed and how much difference going ever so slightly faster would make in those limited scenarios, and then think how many times you literally move your gun to get shots and then think how much being more aimed is going to benefit you.

Personally I can feel a v-stab's impact on pretty much every tank unless you are getting down to vehicles that have like EBR level dispersions, but personally I just don't feel a turbo makes much difference on already decently mobile tanks. 

Someone like QB might say for getting to forward spots early but the difference between 45kph and 50 kph is about 1.3 m/s, so say to an early spot on the map that is 400m away from spawn then at 45 kph it will take 32s, at 50 kph it will take you 29s, 3s for the odd journey like that seems rather meh to me. 

At the end of the day though its personal preference if you feel these tanks are too slow than go for it, if you are less worried about spotting then maybe drop the optics for vents or turbo. 

Edited by tajj7, 09 January 2021 - 02:29 PM.

Infryndiira #12 Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27886 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Posttajj7, on 09 January 2021 - 03:28 PM, said:

Someone like QB might say for getting to forward spots early but the difference between 45kph and 50 kph is about 1.3 m/s, so say to an early spot on the map that is 400m away from spawn then at 45 kph it will take 32s, at 50 kph it will take you 29s, 3s for the odd journey like that seems rather meh to me.

This is a valid point, however, it is worth remembering that Turbocharger does not only increase your top forward speed but your top reverse speed and engine power as well. In turn, this means it's not better for just getting to a forward position faster, but also the following:

• You can peek out of cover, shoot, and return to cover quicker.
  • You accelerate quicker and can handle hull-down positions better.
  • Because of the increased engine power, the effects of a damaged engine are slightly diminished.
  • Because of the increased engine power, your traverse speed is effectively increased.

While it is true that the STA-1 and Type 61 have good power-to-weight ratios, their top speed can still be somewhat insufficient for many players, but they can also benefit from the increased acceleration and reverse speeds by merit of being able to expose themselves for less time. On the other hand, the IJA tanks from Tier IV through Tier VII definitely benefit from a Turbocharger massively, especially since their specific power is particularly low and/or their size is massive for medium tanks. (The Chi-Ri, for example, is bigger and more lightly armoured and armed than a Tiger or KV-3.)

FatigueGalaxy #13 Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25751 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostGwynbleidd11, on 08 January 2021 - 11:02 PM, said:

Type 61 definitely needs Vertical Stabilizer with the top gun unlike some are "suggesting" here. Gun handling is not good enough for paper medium to play without it. Other equipment - rammer, optics.

It has better gun handling than every other paper medium but unlike all of them, it's a lot slower.

Basically, other mediums, except Patton, need v.stab. to have as good gun handling as Type 61 without v.stab. and often they don't even come close. But they can go 50, 60 or even 65 km/h.

It's a big, paper tank with no camo. Do you want to be better at snapshooting or have luxury of being able to relocate at reasonable pace, run away, keep enemies at safe distance, etc. You know - everything you can do in other paper mediums to keep yourself alive...

View Posttajj7, on 09 January 2021 - 02:28 PM, said:

I would say all of them v-stab, rammer and optics, standard general med set up because that is what they are all rounder paper meds. 

Vents and maybe a turbo are an option, but personally in the camper meta I want as much view range as possible and their gun handling is not god like and paper meds need to aim as little as possible in the current meta so I wouldn't recommend them without v-stab personally. 

Turbo I feel is nice on paper, but the practical impact is actually pretty minor for already mobile tanks, 45 or 50kph is largely irrelevant if you already have good engine power and the faster the vehicle goes the more diminishing returns you get to percentage improvement.  Until they bring out a bounty turbo IMO turbo just isn't making a big enough difference unless you are already in a very slow tank.  Just think how often in a largely static campy or brawly meta you need to be going your top speed and how much difference going ever so slightly faster would make in those limited scenarios, and then think how many times you literally move your gun to get shots and then think how much being more aimed is going to benefit you.

Personally I can feel a v-stab's impact on pretty much every tank unless you are getting down to vehicles that have like EBR level dispersions, but personally I just don't feel a turbo makes much difference on already decently mobile tanks. 

Type 61 has bad top speed but high power/weight ratio which makes Turbo even better because you get percentage bonus to engine power and flat bonus to speed limit. In that sense, Turbo is perfect for Type 61 because it benefits more from turbo than any other medium.

0.9/0.9/0.9 gun handling is still better than vast majority of tier 9 meds can get with v.stab.

To me, 45 km/h speed limit on big, paper medium tank with bad camo is as crippling as 40 km/h speed limit on Centurion tanks few years ago. Not being able to keep up with heaviums going slightly downhill or on hard terrain is just pathetic. So what if you keep those 45 km/h no matter where you go if eventually all tanks will overtake you. We have camper meta and static gameplay but this means rushing into position is more important than ever. Getting there last with awful ~15% camo is a recipe for disaster. Tbh, going anywhere with that camo and at 45 km/h is asking for troubles.

I feel like 50 km/h speed limit is a big deal, because most mediums and heaviums go that fast. Everything below feel just slow while going above it by 5 or even 10 km/h doesn't make a big difference.

I definitely feel worse gun handling without v.stab. It's a very noticeable difference. But I'm using turbo only for a few days and I already lost count how many times I surprised enemies by being in position before them, how many times it saved my skin because I was able to run away and how many shells I dodged with that amazing P/W ratio and reverse speed. It's worth even if lack of v.stab. causes me to miss a shot or two every game which IMO is not a big deal with that DPM and 360 alpha.

Of course if you have bad crew and you don't use food - get v.stab instead of turbo.

btw. I'd use turbo on Type 61 even for that bonus reverse speed alone... Poking people for 360 and gtfoing at 26 km/h is just that good. It's almost like going backwards faster than ~20km/h breaks some magical threshold where many people won't be able to react or they don't have enough traverse speed or good enough gun handling to return the shot.

Gwynbleidd11 #14 Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22365 battles
I have good crew, but even with Vertical Stabilizer it takes some time to aim. Of course I dont use food like majority of people, so why base your suggestion thinking that everyone uses food? 10k is really a waste for little effect

tajj7 #15 Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32603 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostFatigueGalaxy, on 09 January 2021 - 07:17 PM, said:

It has better gun handling than every other paper medium but unlike all of them, it's a lot slower.

Basically, other mediums, except Patton, need v.stab. to have as good gun handling as Type 61 without v.stab. and often they don't even come close. But they can go 50, 60 or even 65 km/h.

It's a big, paper tank with no camo. Do you want to be better at snapshooting or have luxury of being able to relocate at reasonable pace, run away, keep enemies at safe distance, etc. You know - everything you can do in other paper mediums to keep yourself alive...

Type 61 has bad top speed but high power/weight ratio which makes Turbo even better because you get percentage bonus to engine power and flat bonus to speed limit. In that sense, Turbo is perfect for Type 61 because it benefits more from turbo than any other medium.

0.9/0.9/0.9 gun handling is still better than vast majority of tier 9 meds can get with v.stab.

To me, 45 km/h speed limit on big, paper medium tank with bad camo is as crippling as 40 km/h speed limit on Centurion tanks few years ago. Not being able to keep up with heaviums going slightly downhill or on hard terrain is just pathetic. So what if you keep those 45 km/h no matter where you go if eventually all tanks will overtake you. We have camper meta and static gameplay but this means rushing into position is more important than ever. Getting there last with awful ~15% camo is a recipe for disaster. Tbh, going anywhere with that camo and at 45 km/h is asking for troubles.

I feel like 50 km/h speed limit is a big deal, because most mediums and heaviums go that fast. Everything below feel just slow while going above it by 5 or even 10 km/h doesn't make a big difference.

I definitely feel worse gun handling without v.stab. It's a very noticeable difference. But I'm using turbo only for a few days and I already lost count how many times I surprised enemies by being in position before them, how many times it saved my skin because I was able to run away and how many shells I dodged with that amazing P/W ratio and reverse speed. It's worth even if lack of v.stab. causes me to miss a shot or two every game which IMO is not a big deal with that DPM and 360 alpha.

Of course if you have bad crew and you don't use food - get v.stab instead of turbo.

btw. I'd use turbo on Type 61 even for that bonus reverse speed alone... Poking people for 360 and gtfoing at 26 km/h is just that good. It's almost like going backwards faster than ~20km/h breaks some magical threshold where many people won't be able to react or they don't have enough traverse speed or good enough gun handling to return the shot.

It already has good power to weight and already has a 23kph reverse speed, both of which are already above average. 

For me a paper DPM based med, it's bread and butter is gun handling, hence why it IMO should be maximised, that is what limits exposure not your reverse speed. 

What you do in meds is you shoot, most movements are micropositioning, which 5 kph top speed and 3kph reverse speed plays no real role in and the tank is already very agile and mobile so the extra power to weight is largely meaningless. 

Rushing into positioning is I feel over rated, spurred on by certain streamers, then on the few maps if may have some value it is a big risk, the only clear cut one is Fjords from a certain side I think, even Mines the reward has diminished a lot because people see the hill is lost and camp in hard to dig out places for the med people to actually do much.  I also think if you aren't going to get there at 45kph, then you aren't really at 50kph, if there are 60kph+ meds against you then forget it, you have little chance. 

In my experience you use your top speed in game for full whack runs maybe 1-2 times a game on average, most common being going to a position from spawn (and often that doesn't need you to be their first or early) and end game clean up, whereas gun handling is used potentially 20+ times a game with a tank that has a fast reload like that. 

I'd rather have the best gun handling likely in the match up which I will use over and over than be able to get somewhere 2-3s faster, the tiny amount of times I have to drive any long distance, most maps are tiny and restricted, you barely need to move half the time, sadly. 

If maps were bigger and less restricted i think turbo would have more value but it's a bit like the top speed of the Leo or CS-63, it's pretty irrelevant in most maps, getting your gun to work on all maps IMO is the most important thing especially with no armour. 

Edited by tajj7, 10 January 2021 - 12:20 PM.

demon_tank #16 Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 31907 battles
  • [GO-HA] GO-HA

Well most of the time the 3 top tier tanks (8-9-10) of any line have slight differences hence difference equipment setup can be chosen.

Plus since Equipment 2.0 the variaton of the setups is bigger and there is no real setup only the setup that fits your style..

Turbo , Vents , Rammer , Optics & Vstabs are mostly the best equipments for Mediums tanks.

Pretty much almost any combination of the above 5 selections can work.

A general rule is that Vstabs , Rammer , Optics is used for tanks with 360-390 meters base viewrange and Vstabs , Rammer , Vents  for tanks with 400-420 meters base viewrange provided you have good crews and use a food consumable so that your final viewrange ends up more than 460 meters.

Check the list for the Mediums with the best gun handling in class on Tanks.gg 

Those tanks can easily drop the Vstabs and you can use a Turbo on them instead.

Also tagged with Equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users