Packet loss in game, no packet loss in PingPlotter

ping packetloss packet loss pingplotter lag

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Ordinary_Yes #1 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8273 battles
Long story short, moved to a new apartment half a year ago, new ISP, since then I can't play the game. Constant lag and packet loss in game (green icon next to ping turns to red frequently, tank jitters, rubberbanding), but when I start up PingPlotter it shows 0%-0,2% packetloss... I don't know what to do now. Tried a different program, PingTester (NetworkTestGuys), it shows 8-10% packet loss but only if I set the Time out time to less than 700 milisecond.

Attached Files

• Attached File   WOt_Eu1.jpg   179.37K
  • Attached File   PingTester.jpg   227.53K
  • Attached File   PingTester_1000milisec.jpg   225.76K

HassenderZerhacker #2 Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:36 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32139 battles

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 14 January 2021 - 12:44 AM, said:

Long story short, moved to a new apartment half a year ago, new ISP, since then I can't play the game. Constant lag and packet loss in game (green icon next to ping turns to red frequently, tank jitters, rubberbanding), but when I start up PingPlotter it shows 0%-0,2% packetloss... I don't know what to do now. Tried a different program, PingTester (NetworkTestGuys), it shows 8-10% packet loss but only if I set the Time out time to less than 700 milisecond.

run the pingplotter graph while playing

Cobra6 #3 Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16625 battles

Are you on a wired connection or wireless. If wireless are you using the standard garbage router you get with your ISP or did you buy a proper WiFi router instead?

If it's happening since you moved appartment, perhaps the construction of the actual building is an issue (I've had this in the past) in combination with a cheap garbage wifi router. If there is a lot of metal in the construction, your weak wifi signal will get jammed.

The fix for that is either use wired, and if that is not possible buy a proper router like a Netgear nighthawk which has a much stronger signal that is less prone to be interfered with.

Cobra 6

Ancybot #4 Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25200 battles
Are you playing on wifi?

If yes, try opening devices manager, force your wifi card to use only one standard (i would recommend G). Check how it works

Many wireless cards are failing hard when they can work on multiple standards. You dont see it usually, unless you play games

ar5bwb222 is just an example i had in my hands. While it is able to use all standards it lose stability. Forcing it to use only G standard was making it super stable. While it was allowed to use abgn it was completely messed up
If it will stop, you should check for some card replacement with good drivers - like intel ones

Edited by Ancybot, 14 January 2021 - 11:44 AM.

ValkyrionX_TV #5 Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Colonel

• 61103 battles
  • [NEFEX] NEFEX
I have had similar problems in these days and also during the clanwars and this bothered me a lot , I also used pingplotter and did some general diagnostics on my connection and everything works perfectly, during the games instead I have absolutely senseless lag spikes , sometimes even disconnections from the game , pingplotter pointed out that there is a strong loss of information sometimes despite my excellent connection , evidently not my problem but perhaps a server load problem.

TankkiPoju #6 Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:58 PM

General

• Player
  • 27448 battles

Ping plotter only tracks ICMP ECHO REPLY packets, which are returned by WG's gateway, like login.p1.worldoftanks.eu.

Also, IP address of login.p1.worldoftanks.eu changes. It's just a front end to some distributed server farm.

HassenderZerhacker #7 Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:02 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32139 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 14 January 2021 - 12:58 PM, said:

Ping plotter only tracks ICMP ECHO REPLY packets, which are returned by WG's gateway, like login.p1.worldoftanks.eu.

Also, IP address of login.p1.worldoftanks.eu changes. It's just a front end to some distributed server farm.

exactly what's need to find out if it's a connection problem then!

Ordinary_Yes #8 Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:12 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8273 battles

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. It's not a router/wifi related issue, I'm using wired connection, and I tried 3 different routers (one I used in my previous home). I did some testing in the meantime, there is an option both in pingplotter and ping tester, called request time out. If I set this value anything below 1000ms (1sec), both program shows significant packet loss to any server I try (google, yahoo, wot, anything....).

Here is 2 picture, the one with 7% packet loss has the time out value set to 999ms, the one with 0.1% packet loss is with 1000ms.... So I'm sure its something ISP related, but I don't know what, my ISP says everything is working fine in their system, and I can't withdraw the contract for another year....

Attached Files

• Attached File   www.google.com999.png   530.93K
  • Attached File   www.google.com01.png   519.52K

HassenderZerhacker #9 Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32139 battles

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 15 January 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

Thanks everyone for the answers so far. It's not a router/wifi related issue, I'm using wired connection, and I tried 3 different routers (one I used in my previous home). I did some testing in the meantime, there is an option both in pingplotter and ping tester, called request time out. If I set this value anything below 1000ms (1sec), both program shows significant packet loss to any server I try (google, yahoo, wot, anything....).

Here is 2 picture, the one with 7% packet loss has the time out value set to 999ms, the one with 0.1% packet loss is with 1000ms.... So I'm sure its something ISP related, but I don't know what, my ISP says everything is working fine in their system, and I can't withdraw the contract for another year....

I have my options set to yellow speed 100ms and critical (red) to 200ms. anything over 300ms is unacceptable in my opinion, 999ms and 1000ms are both a second, that's way too long.

every red vertical bar on the lower graph is lag.

you should focus more on this graph than the list of hops.

make this graph bigger and let it run during the time you play with better settings, not 999ms or 1000ms, rather 150ms for yellow and 300ms for red if your connection is very slow.

and use the wargaming servers for testing to use the same route as the game

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 15 January 2021 - 08:26 AM.

Cobra6 #10 Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16625 battles

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 14 January 2021 - 11:12 PM, said:

So I'm sure its something ISP related, but I don't know what, my ISP says everything is working fine in their system, and I can't withdraw the contract for another year....

They always say that because it would cost them money to actually fix the problems they are responsible for.

Keep persisting and provide as much evidence as possible. If they still won't address the issue there must be some consumer rights party/group in your country that can throw their weight around.

Cobra 6

Famepackexe #11 Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56567 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 14 January 2021 - 12:44 AM, said:

You can try a free trail of this Gaming VPN i used it when i had problems with ISP https://www.getoutfox.com/

Some times you have to log in to the game manually with this VPN it did not log in when i used the remember option on log in.

Slyspy #12 Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15531 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 15 January 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

On the second picture there seems to be some low-level PL which starts within your ISP's network (see the 0.1 at  #4 which is also present on the final hop). The second is more difficult to read. The PL present at the final hop may have originated at #8 (which is probably outside of your ISP's own infrastructure) but the whole ping is messy which may be indicative of further issues but may not. 

View PostTankkiPoju, on 14 January 2021 - 12:58 PM, said:

Which doesn't matter too much since if the possibility of a problem outside of the servers can be eliminated then it only leaves one possibility. 

Edited by Slyspy, 15 January 2021 - 10:46 AM.

Tankistu #13 Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34697 battles
  • [JEWWO] JEWWO

View PostOrdinary_Yes, on 14 January 2021 - 11:12 PM, said:

What else may be leeching off your internet connection? Is there another PC in use in your house? Maybe a partner or kid using it while you play?

If not, check your own PC's use of broadband. Open Task Manager > Resource Monitor  and look at your Network Activity. Is anything there using a lot of broadband? Check what processes do that. 

Finally, if you still haven't found anything, what speed is your ISP supposed to give you? Do a speed test.

Edited by Tankistu, 15 January 2021 - 02:30 PM.

Slyspy #14 Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15531 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTankistu, on 15 January 2021 - 02:30 PM, said:

What else may be leeching off your internet connection? Is there another PC in use in your house? Maybe a partner or kid using it while you play?

If not, check your own PC's use of broadband. Open Task Manager > Resource Monitor  and look at your Network Activity. Is anything there using a lot of broadband? Check what processes do that. 

Finally, if you still haven't found anything, what speed is your ISP supposed to give you? Do a speed test.

Speed test won't be helpful. He has already run tests which show his ping and packet loss.

Tankistu #15 Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34697 battles
  • [JEWWO] JEWWO

View PostSlyspy, on 15 January 2021 - 02:30 PM, said:

Speed test won't be helpful. He has already run tests which show his ping and packet loss.

It would test his ISP's local infrastructure and whether the speeds he gets are close to those included in his contract.

HassenderZerhacker #16 Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32139 battles

first thing would be to run test on correctly configured pingplotter while playing.

Tankistu #17 Posted 15 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34697 battles
  • [JEWWO] JEWWO

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 15 January 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

first thing would be to run test on correctly configured pingplotter while playing.

He says he's had the problem for 6 months. That's simply too long for it to be a problem with the WoT servers or the main nodes.  

He should first check whether someone is hogging his bandwidth.

Could be malware, someone living in his apartment using the internet while he plays, or someone living in the same building having access to his router (he should check which MAC addresses are using his router).   

If it's none of this, then he should be doing speed tests. If the speeds are far from the average promised in the contract, it could be a PC hardware issue or a legal issue with the ISP which isn't holding up its end of the deal.

HassenderZerhacker #18 Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:09 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 32139 battles

View PostTankistu, on 15 January 2021 - 08:41 PM, said:

He says he's had the problem for 6 months. That's simply too long for it to be a problem with the WoT servers or the main nodes.  

He should first check whether someone is hogging his bandwidth.

Could be malware, someone living in his apartment using the internet while he plays, or someone living in the same building having access to his router (he should check which MAC addresses are using his router).   

If it's none of this, then he should be doing speed tests. If the speeds are far from the average promised in the contract, it could be a PC hardware issue or a legal issue with the ISP which isn't holding up its end of the deal.

first step is always to precisely determine what the problem is. the first graph OP posted about the connection to WG servers does not show lags, presumably because he set timeouts to 1 second.

so the first step is to:

1- get the lags on the connection to WG servers to show on a pingplotter graph, to confirm what the problem really is and that the lags in game are reflected on the graph.

once this is done, an analysis can be done about what potentially causes the problem.

Also tagged with ping, packetloss, packet loss, pingplotter, lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users