• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Dead_in_30_seconds #1 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Greetings fellow tankers.

When I first started playing this game, I quickly realised that there was far more to it than first interaction suggested, and that it wasn't, as I quickly found out, Call of Duty with a tank.

I, like most others, was finding it hard to get to grips with, hugely frustrating, and left me at a loss as to how to improve.

Luckily, and boy do I know I was lucky, I started a thread called 'Noobs do's and dont's from a noob', and received help and advice from people for whom, to this day, I hold the greatest respect and admiration for.

Their words and insights gave me the tools to begin to get better, and to learn the intricacies of commanding a tank. My gameplay slowly improved, I became less of a burden to my team-mates, and, after a few thousand more games, I was almost brave enough to believe I wasn't a noob anymore.

Which leads me to today. 

I'm a couple of dozen over 7,000 games, I'm comfortably holding a 51%+ WR, and I now approach the start of each battle pretty sure where I'm going on the map, where the likely threat is, and confident enough to adapt depending on how the battle unfolds. Hell, I've even been known to carry a game or two.

So why start a new topic, Dead? 

Well, it's this.

I kind of feel like I'm in exactly the same position as I was when I first started.

Sure, I now know more stuff like the mechanics, weak spots, hard cover, soft cover, angling, opaque bushes etc etc, but I seem to have stalled when it comes to getting any better.

I'm not a believer (anymore) that the game is 'rigged' against us, and that WG is deliberately making our team weak or the Red team over-strong, because we're ALL on the Red and Green team. To us, we're the Green team and they are Red, and to them, they are Green team and we are Red, and we ALL feel hard done by, either by WG filling our team with idiots, or by filling their team with superstars. The game doesn't feel 'rigged' when we crush them, but it does to them, and vice versa.

The hope and intent for this thread is to see if there are any insights for people in this 'middle ground'. 

Am I in a situation that is experienced by all? Is it simply a case that, if I'm improving my WR at the rate of 0.5 per 1000 battles, then give it another 8000 battles and my WR will have gone from 51.6% to 55.6%, or is there another lightbulb moment akin to the one that a noob has when transitioning from noob to newbie?

It's ironic that the one sure way of knowing you are improving, is the fact that we get more and more frustrated at the seemingly nonsensical actions of our brethren. Idiocy that I was blissfully unaware of as a beginner, but which now irritates to such a deep level! 

Some of you reading this, and of course I can only hope that someone might, may well have been at this very point in their journey at some time gone by.

Was there a 'lightbulb moment' for you?

Is there a nugget of knowledge that allowed for more efficacy?

Have you altered your gameplay to compensate for what appears to be a lower average skill level amongst the player base?

Have you found a certain tank type to be more effective than what used to be your favourite tank?

Do you now play more or less aggressively, more or less defensively than previously?

Am I right in my belief that there seems to be far more 'seal-clubbing' going on, than let's say 12-18 months ago?

Are we now seeing more same clan members in battles than previously?

If you had to state the difference between a 'middle ground' player that's reached their ceiling, and a player that goes on to improve, what would it be? (I appreciate that that is an almost impossible question to answer, but I'll let it stand) :)

If you've got this far, thanks for giving up the time it took to read it, I realise it's probably a bit stupid, but thanks anyway, and if by chance you take the time to reply, well, I was overwhelmed by the support and kindness last time, I certainly wouldn't be less appreciative this time.

Kind regards to all

DiTS 

saxsan4 #2 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

General

• Player
  • 32401 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
have fun. that's the main rule, don't obsess over stats, join a clan and platoon if always good and just enjoy yourself 

lord_chipmonk #3 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38465 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

In short; yeah many of us have been there. I think there are two options for you here:

1) Post some replays and seek advice on the next stage

2) Ask yourself "why did I die" whenever you do and don't repeat the mistake

wsatnutter #4 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28447 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Remember swings and roundabouts 

Dead_in_30_seconds #5 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi Saxsan4, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

The fun thing I'm a firm believer in. I think that's evidenced by the fact that my Tier 3 Pz38t is still my most played tank. I realise I'm perhaps guilty of the self same 'clubbing' that I referenced, but there's nothing better than blowing up a hat full of tanks every now and again! :)

I do still keep an eye on any numbers that give me an idea of how I'm progressing, simply because if I 'do' something, I like to know I'm improving.

Is that the key to 'middle ground' players? Stop trying so hard? Was that your 'lightbulb' moment?

Thanks again for your time.

DiTS

Fantacuzino #6 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16731 battles
  • [NA_SP] NA_SP

Best advice for a newbie:

1. learn your tank and the tanks you might be facing: https://wiki.wargami.../World_of_Tanks
  2. learn the armour on your tank and of the tanks you might be facing: https://tanks.gg
  3. watch good players play to learn tactics and positions:

HassenderZerhacker #7 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:56 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32295 battles

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm not a believer (anymore) that the game is 'rigged' against us, and that WG is deliberately making our team weak or the Red team over-strong,

you will come around eventually again.

Dead_in_30_seconds #8 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 28 January 2021 - 03:49 PM, said:

In short; yeah many of us have been there. I think there are two options for you here:

1) Post some replays and seek advice on the next stage

2) Ask yourself "why did I die" whenever you do and don't repeat the mistake

Thanks lord_c

Point number 2 first, I died because my HP went to zero. The 'don't repeat....', it's often because team-mates either don't push, do push, or simply aren't there in the first place, which leads very nicely to point 1.

I think you've hit on a very good idea there, perhaps if someone like yourself reviewed the replay, your experience could pinpoint the moment where all is lost, and retreat is the best/only option.

Perhaps I'm missing the moment where the situation requires tactical withdrawal.

Interesting idea, thank you for the insight. 

Regards

DiTS

Discontinued #9 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3726 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I like this post,

Having experienced both sides of the stats coin i can tell you that when you have either amazingly good like me in warplanes 58-59% stats stop becoming an issue especially if you have thousand upon thousands of games under your belt

The same is true of the 43% player with 20k battles they have no hope of ever even approaching 50% and to some extent have given up even trying

The first set of people 59%ers are a little bit like people with wealth they care not  for money as the have it abundance its something they are used to and therefore they no longer care

The second set 43%er who are so hopelessly behind they have all but given up, they are so used to having little they have adjusted and come to accept their lot in life.

Then there's the 3rd set middle to average players who are on the edge of being good and the edge of being bad, much like middle income earners.

The last set 48-51% will always get hurt more by bad teams and carried more by great teams which is why people in the average % region tend to get the most frustrated.

The thing to accept is that in any hobby, or occupation there can be a moment when ones skills begin to plateau and this could be to do with age, outside commitments or other external factors. such as the game itself,

There is no denying that the higher tiers are more populated with far more players who lack experience and can make game much more of a lottery, but its an old game WG have to think of some way to make the game appealing and letting people skip tiers seems to be one day to do that.

Don't for one second kid yourself that WG want you to have a great experience they are a business and biasness' 1st rule is to make cash, look at any, business they always incentivise  new customers with better deals than their existing customers. it might not be fair or right but that's capitalism, and when you look at the alternatives its the best of a bad bunch.

Health and age plays a factor

When I was in my 20's and 30's I'm almost sure I would have been easily able to make 55% wins if WOT had existed at that time, I had 5-1 KDR in most FPS games in my late 20's, the thing is it took a great deal of effort to play that well and i loved every minute.

Gaming is one thing that has sadly highlighted the ageing process as I feel my reflexes skill and memory are on a slow downhill slope. Having said that outside of WOT my life is infinitely better than it was when I was younger. Most non gaming people with the exception of sports people are unaware of their ageing as its very gradual but playing games has shown me that im getting old and although life is great as we age our bodies brains ad reflexes suffer.

to be honest i feel a little sorry for the younger generation having not only to sit through lockdown but also having such good games to play

in my youth games when so garbage I had no interest, the box cover for RC Grand Prix looked amazing, until I actually bought it a felt conned, the box had wicked looking graphic not this 8 bit monstrosity of pixels the size of your hand!

Real life stuff had better graphics and was much more immersive than the crap games in those days 

I was only after meeting Women and getting wasted, fortunately I got it out of my system and can not feel a pang of guilt about wasting my life away playing games as a middle aged man

As my world of warplanes friend ZEn_Monk has in his signature

Stats were invented by the game Satan to suck the joy out of gaming

Edited by Discontinued, 28 January 2021 - 05:16 PM.

lord_chipmonk #10 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38465 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Point number 2 first, I died because my HP went to zero. The 'don't repeat....', it's often because team-mates either don't push, do push, or simply aren't there in the first place, which leads very nicely to point 1.

Just to pick up on this. If the causal chain that leads to your death starts with you pushing when your allies don't or vice versa, then the question "what can I do better next time" is relevant. It might be a case of learning (probably through experience) when to push and when not to. You can't change what your allies do as a general rule of thumb, but you can adapt how you play to compensate for their actions. 

I have never found a "light bulb" moment. I have just gradually gotten better with practice and (more recently) trying more explicitly to analyse why I died rather than just press "battle" again. 

saxsan4 #11 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 32401 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hi Saxsan4, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

The fun thing I'm a firm believer in. I think that's evidenced by the fact that my Tier 3 Pz38t is still my most played tank. I realise I'm perhaps guilty of the self same 'clubbing' that I referenced, but there's nothing better than blowing up a hat full of tanks every now and again! :)

I do still keep an eye on any numbers that give me an idea of how I'm progressing, simply because if I 'do' something, I like to know I'm improving.

Is that the key to 'middle ground' players? Stop trying so hard? Was that your 'lightbulb' moment?

Thanks again for your time.

DiTS

It is very good that you are taking time in tiers not rushing up to play just tier 8-10. I always says do this so you get a feel for all tiers and tanks.

Its good to keep an eye on stats, of course just don't be one of those vxm players who view everything in stats. And don't chase missions or MOE because it just gives you stress. 

Dead_in_30_seconds #12 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Firstly Discontinued, can I just thank you for taking the time to reply, even if out of some sort of Dinger loyalty, I appreciate it.

A valid point of course, age, memory, reflexes etc aren't as sharp as they used to be, but I do think age has it's benefits. We are far less likely to rush headlong into any situation, the flip-side being 'overthinking' it, but one must assume you were in the 48-51 range at some point. Perhaps, though I suspect not, you weren't classified as a spring chicken? So how did you make the transition from 'middle ground' to Godly heights?

Discontinued #13 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3726 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

Firstly Discontinued, can I just thank you for taking the time to reply, even if out of some sort of Dinger loyalty, I appreciate it.

A valid point of course, age, memory, reflexes etc aren't as sharp as they used to be, but I do think age has it's benefits. We are far less likely to rush headlong into any situation, the flip-side being 'overthinking' it, but one must assume you were in the 48-51 range at some point. Perhaps, though I suspect not, you weren't classified as a spring chicken? So how did you make the transition from 'middle ground' to Godly heights?

Yes I was 51% before I cam back as a failed reroll and with seal clubbing ruined its unlikely ill ever reach 50% 

Dead_in_30_seconds #14 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostFantacuzino, on 28 January 2021 - 03:53 PM, said:

Best advice for a newbie:

1. learn your tank and the tanks you might be facing: https://wiki.wargami.../World_of_Tanks
  2. learn the armour on your tank and of the tanks you might be facing: https://tanks.gg
  3. watch good players play to learn tactics and positions:

Thanks Fantacuzino

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

If your reticule turns green when penetration is likely, how important is learning the weak spots?

Not denying your points, they all make perfect sense, but just trying to see if I'm missing a trick.

DiTS

16:35 Added after 6 minute

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 28 January 2021 - 04:11 PM, said:

Just to pick up on this. If the causal chain that leads to your death starts with you pushing when your allies don't or vice versa, then the question "what can I do better next time" is relevant. It might be a case of learning (probably through experience) when to push and when not to. You can't change what your allies do as a general rule of thumb, but you can adapt how you play to compensate for their actions. 

I have never found a "light bulb" moment. I have just gradually gotten better with practice and (more recently) trying more explicitly to analyse why I died rather than just press "battle" again. 

I think you've managed to pinpoint my weakness(es).

I find it hard to apply lessons learnt in one battle, when the next 100 don't present the same situations.

I also find watching vids a little frustrating. If I was in the same position as the uploader, I might have very well performed as they did. Particular situations, and their reaction to them, can only teach principles that applied at that specific moment in time.

lord_chipmonk #15 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38465 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 05:29 PM, said:

If your reticule turns green when penetration is likely, how important is learning the weak spots?

Unless you're planning to raster scan your aiming reticule across the entirety of every enemy tank, very useful. Even then, the aiming reticule gives you no info about whether you would have been better with HE loaded (both would pen) or to what degree you can take advantage of the overmatch mechanics etc. So yes, you want to learn the armour layouts. 

I think you've managed to pinpoint my weakness(es).

I find it hard to apply lessons learnt in one battle, when the next 100 don't present the same situations.

Well, I think you've just identified one significant way in which you can improve. 

Yep, this is why there is probably not a substitute for experience. However, the better you become, the harder it becomes to improve. There is less low lying fruit and the improvements you can make become less and less obvious. This is one of the reasons that bad players tend to (falsely) attribute the success of a very good player to obvious things like gold ammo, playing only OP tanks etc. 

Miepie #16 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8777 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 04:29 PM, said:

Am I right in my belief that there seems to be far more 'seal-clubbing' going on, than let's say 12-18 months ago?

Can't say I've noticed this, to be honest.

Fantacuzino #17 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16731 battles
  • [NA_SP] NA_SP

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 05:29 PM, said:

Learning weakspots extremely important.

When you know the weakspots you already know where to aim.

And you can prepare your shot slowly comming out of cover to aim for said weakspots ( cupola for example )

Reticle turning green confirms that you are aiming correctly.

So you shoot ( may RnG be on your side! ) :honoring:

Dead_in_30_seconds #18 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

In which case, it can't be true. I have always had the utmost respect for your thoughts Miepie, and that's not just because of the Dinger code.

The only reason I believe it to be true, is that a small percentage of players appear to be carrying battles that would, on the face of it, appear to be heavily 'balanced' in favour of the other team.

As I said though, can't be true, coz you say it isn't, so end of discussion. :medal:

16:57 Added after 2 minute

View PostFantacuzino, on 28 January 2021 - 04:51 PM, said:

Learning weakspots extremely important.

When you know the weakspots you already know where to aim.

And you can prepare your shot slowly comming out of cover to aim for said weakspots ( cupola for example )

Reticle turning green confirms that you are aiming correctly.

So you shoot ( may RnG be on your side! ) :honoring:

Aaahh Ok, so it's shaving off those vital seconds one may lose deciding where to aim.

Thanks Fantacuzino, you epitomise the very reason I asked for advice based on experience.

DiTS

Miepie #19 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8777 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 28 January 2021 - 05:55 PM, said:

As I said though, can't be true, coz you say it isn't, so end of discussion. :medal:

Aww, don't be mean. I only said I didn't notice it being worse/better. :(

AmphetamineLogic #20 Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14129 battles
My main "do" for newbies is to switch chat off until you have a few thousand battles under the belt. It is seldom constructive in a tactical situation. You can get enough information from the built in generic messages to be a productive team member without the toxicity! 

Also tagged with newbie, improving, tactics, learning, noob, unicum, lessons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users