• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Miepie #61 Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8777 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmpf1959, on 02 February 2021 - 02:15 PM, said:

My advice to anyone is find your place in the game, and enjoy it. 

The garage :(

Dead_in_30_seconds #62 Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Noob's Lament

I did not know from whence it came,

that shell that sent me home again.

I thought they'd think I was a tree,

atop that hill for all to see.

I'd done all things, like use bad crew,

made sure I stayed in sniper view.

Yet still I lived, barely a minute,

It's bloody hard this game though, innit?

I'm surprised I lasted quite that long,

although I sure did nuthin' wrong.

I even turned off mini-map,

so I could see more of the cap.

So here's my thought, I think I've twigged,

this World of Tanks is surely rigged.

I'm sure you'll all say you agree,

I mean c'mon guys,

it can't be me!

CmdRatScabies #63 Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39085 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postsaxsan4, on 28 January 2021 - 04:32 PM, said:

have fun. that's the main rule, don't obsess over stats, join a clan and platoon if always good and just enjoy yourself 

Slightly shocked that saxsan's advice wasn't to buy every premium tank that comes on sale.  

Discontinued #64 Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3726 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Couple of obvious points

Pimp out your crews, run purple equipment and sometimes food or octane

Always remember the golden Disco rule,

Tuesdays are terrible for teams x5 worse than weekends or events

:B

Dead_in_30_seconds #65 Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

@Discontinued

Bonds, been collecting them since they first appeared, and now I think I have enough for a tank shaped dangly air-freshener.

Get enough to purple the equipment? At this rate, I'll be too old to remember what they're for :bajan:

Dead_in_30_seconds #66 Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Player who gets 2 kills per battle, or player who gets Fire for Effect per battle.

Which is preferable?

In_Flames90 #67 Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15476 battles
  • [DECOY] DECOY
Depends, I'd say get both.

When it comes to damage and kills it all depends on when it occurs. Does it come as a result from you supporting the team, winning a flank, or picking off some in the end when the game was already lost/over.

Sometimes killing off a low HP target is what wins games, as even on 1 HP it's gun is still as deadly. Letting another escape so you can do full damage instead might as well come back to bite you in the rear later.

Let's say you're a one-shot and are faced with 2 targets. One has 200HP and one has 700. You have 390 alpha. Do you secure the kill, letting your team face 1 less enemy, or do you go for the damage making both of them one-shot for your team? Tough decision.
Me? I'd probably go for the kill, giving me at least some chance to 1v1 the other guy in the instance he misses his shot or bounces.

4nt #68 Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34997 battles

View PostIn_Flames90, on 03 February 2021 - 02:54 PM, said:

Depends, I'd say get both.

When it comes to damage and kills it all depends on when it occurs. Does it come as a result from you supporting the team, winning a flank, or picking off some in the end when the game was already lost/over.

Sometimes killing off a low HP target is what wins games, as even on 1 HP it's gun is still as deadly. Letting another escape so you can do full damage instead might as well come back to bite you in the rear later.

Let's say you're a one-shot and are faced with 2 targets. One has 200HP and one has 700. You have 390 alpha. Do you secure the kill, letting your team face 1 less enemy, or do you go for the damage making both of them one-shot for your team? Tough decision.
Me? I'd probably go for the kill, giving me at least some chance to 1v1 the other guy in the instance he misses his shot or bounces.

I will always take the killshot. In a game where 100% HP vehicle is as capable to deal damage as 1% (barring modules/crew), that 1% must die as soon as possible to reduce front of incoming fire. Olden days I would have situationally prioritized damage (grind/mission/whatever) but as kits are reuseable... Kill over credits/exp.

(This is just me, bc I personally have more fun winning, although tight and memorable loss is also acceptable)

Dead_in_30_seconds #69 Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8379 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I find it a difficult choice.

I think we, as newbies, are too often drawn to the aim of the kill. It is this, I believe, that results in the situation whereby we spend too long in sniper mode, waiting for the enemy we are focussed on to present a clear shot.

If however, we look past the oft repeated answer of 'it depends on the battle', and decide upon a general preference, we come up against the difficulty of the two following considerations:

1. If everyone made a personal contribution of taking 7% of the enemy HP, we would win every game

and

2. If everyone killed at least 1 of the enemy, we would win every game.

Personally I believe the first ambition is the most achievable, albeit possibly the least 'sexy'.

Which leads, although a little circuitous, back to my original question.

If you could have one or the other, would you choose the damage option over the kills option as a general, non individual battle, wish?

lord_chipmonk #70 Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38465 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 03 February 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

Which leads, although a little circuitous, back to my original question.

If you could have one or the other, would you choose the damage option over the kills option as a general, non individual battle, wish?

Kills remove guns from the game, damage does not. If I could have someone who reliably gets 2 kills per battle (without intentionally "securing" kills that were about to be had by someone else anyway, that isn't very helpful), I'd take that.

The question though raises a false dichotomy. You can't kill anything without damage and your damage is useless without kills, so you want both. In practice someone who reliably picks up 2 kills will be someone who reliably gets fire for effect and vice versa.

In_Flames90 #71 Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15476 battles
  • [DECOY] DECOY
Yeah, I didn't explain myself too clearly I think.

I'd most often go for kills, but what I meant about choosing damage over kills, is in say a comfortable win. Chasing down the last surviving enemies, if 2 enemies appear I'd rather take the shot on the enemy with more HP and let someone else finish off the 2 HP guy. Unless I know I will have the reload to shoot the other one before my team kills him.

Volfrahm #72 Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:31 AM

Major

• Player
  • 9049 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Do not buy the M46 Patton KR.:honoring:

Mr_Burrows #73 Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 58286 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostVolfrahm, on 07 February 2021 - 01:31 AM, said:

Do not buy the M46 Patton KR.:honoring:

Was my fav tank back in 2014. Now it is a pile of steaming manure, powercrept to oblivion. 

Also tagged with newbie, improving, tactics, learning, noob, unicum, lessons

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users