New Premium Arty

SPG Premium Vehicles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

General_Disturbance #1 Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20351 battles
Self Propelled Guns are one of the five vehicle classes in the game, but they are also the most neglected when it comes to premium vehicles. Out of all the premium vehicles, there are only two premium SPGs. The Sexton 1 and the 105 leFH18B2. For a company that is in business to make a profit, this is very strange indeed. It's not like they are not bringing out new premium vehicles. It seems that every other week a new premium hits the shop. The latest being the 122 TM.

Wargaming make a lot of money from selling premium tanks and only this weekend, they put the 105 leFH18B2 back in the shop. Albeit with a gold bundle costing £21.35. The 5000 gold is worth £16.14 which makes the 105 leFH18B2 worth £5.21. Just 4 years ago, the 105 leFH18B2 would have sold for as much as £35 on its own and in a bundle might have fetched £52. Over the years, much of the player base bought the tier 5 French terror, but over time, they stopped playing it. So why hasn't Wargaming brought out new premium Arty?

The answer is that Wargaming are scared how the players would react to new premium Arty. Most players dislike being hit by Arty, but they've never learned to be 'Arty safe'. It's only by playing Arty that you get to appreciate where on the maps the Arty cannot hit and then use these areas to advance, or to remain unspotted so the Arty is blind. The problem is that most players don't have the patience to play Arty, so they never acquire this knowledge in the first place. Players that hate Arty usually complain that there are too many in each game. They want the numbers reduced, but fail to consider that this would mean longer waiting times for SPGs and more battles where they are always present. You cannot have games without Arty unless there are some with 3 per side. If you reduce the number per side, Wargaming has to compensate by removing the zero Arty games, or the waiting times would force more players to leave game prematurely.

For the past 4 years, I've been trying to persuade Wargaming to bring out new Premium SPGs. There's only one in the British and the French tech trees, so I suggested that they ought to bring out one for the German, Soviet and American trees. Three Artys were suggested and the 'model' for each is already in the game.

The German Premium SPG ought to start with the 15 cm s.I.G. 33/2 (Sf) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t).
This Arty was based on the Hetzer and there was a prototype. 30 were ordered, but there's no proof that any were built. It used the same sort of heavy howitzer found on the Grille, used the same 38(t) chassis and a modified Hetzer armor. As I said, the vehicle model is already in the game. It only requires minor modification to produce a new Arty. By adjusting the fire rate (it did have the latest aiming equipment), you could make this Arty fire faster than the Grille with a similar DPM to the 105 leFH18B2.

The Soviet Premium SPG could be the real SU-122
Wargaming already has the SU-122a at tier 5, but this is based on the SU-76. The SU-122 was built on the T-34 hull similar to the SU-85, but armed with a short 122mm howitzer. It was an Assault gun as much as it was an SPG, but was a bit of a failure as it was too cramped for an Arty. However, it might be considered a premium SPG if the 122mm was removed from the SU-85 and then the fire rate adjusted.

The American Premium SPG could be the M52
More of this SPG were produced than the M44 which shares the same M41 Walker Bulldog hull. The 105mm Howitzer is mounted in a turret, in a similar manner to the M53/M55. Again, by adjusting the fire rate and through the use of vents, this could increase the fire rate to match the 105 leFH18B2.

There are literally dozens of other Arty that could be brought into the game. There is also a new twist which could save Wargaming a lot of time and effort. Many Tank Destroyers were termed SPGs because of their ability to fire rounds indirectly. Some even had the equipment to do this. One notable example was the M10 Wolverine, which was relegated to indirect fire much of the time when they found that the 76mm rounds were bouncing off the German tanks. Thankfully, the engineers that built the M10 also included the equipment so that this SPG could fire indirect if need be and after the M18 and M36 were available, that's what the M10 were used for.

My suggestion to Wargaming is that they introduce a 'Mechanic' that enables any TD to become an SPG - if the crew has the appropriate skill to do so. This would also be another module that the crew would have to research before they could fire indirect. Once they have obtained the skill and sighting module, the vehicle could enter 'Arty' mode by pressing the G-key to open Battle Assistant and would then aim as any Arty can - by indirect fire and not line of sight.

Many players have learned to play their TDs with the derp howitzer and some are so good that they are able to 'Lob' a shell over a ridge line at an enemy that they cannot see, but still take them out. My suggestion is that Wargaming formalize this mechanic by making all TDs able to fire indirect - just as long as the crew has the skills and the sighting module has been earned.

Your thoughts please?

Dragokar #2 Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 47384 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
I would like to see premium SPGs despite the "hate" that they get. In the end it is the same story as we had with EBRs and many others, booh booh and when it is on sale it is being bought by many that cried before :D

PeacefullNPC #3 Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 40280 battles
  • [TUNTO] TUNTO

TLDR People (including myself) hate it beacuse it is unbalanced and unhealthy for the game - WG please do NOT introduce any new premium SPG's.

According to WG artilery is supposed to "counter camping" and in reality it provokes camping and boring gameplay. You can't get shot when you're unspotted or camp behind building :)  Meanwhile the agressive players who play frontlane gets f*** for 500 hp after artilery mised them by 10 meters. Introducing premium arilery would just swarm matchmaking with 3 artilerys per game. Nobody wants 3 SPG every game except for redlane warriors and tomatos who usually do 30% their hp every game - they can't care less as they either die in first 2 minutes of the game or afk 5min near red lane to get murdered 3 seconds after getting spotted beacuse they were too passive and let their whole team die.

@Dragokar To be fair i have 4% games played total on my artilery and the moment i finish 260 missions - i'm selling it. I would never even even think about buying premium SPG. I have all the premium LT's except for that wheeeled *edited* and i do not intend buying it :) EBR's might be idiot-proof but decent players are more deadly in real LT's - that's why manticore requires 4600+ for 3moe and ebr just 4000 

Edited by Immensive, 12 April 2021 - 03:50 AM.
Edited for using inappropriate words

SilentSoul_ #4 Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21395 battles

I really could not care less about any of the arguments pro-premium spg 

Why? Because it would be extremely unhealthy for the game , and many many players would quit.

So no. Stop bringing it up.

mynameispuffs #5 Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:54 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 31744 battles
  • [RGN] RGN

Is that the sound of my wallet opening? 

:coin:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users