The word "NOOB"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

admiralbismarck #1 Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22625 battles
For those who use the word NOOB

The first time the word was used was on 20.31h on the 31 of may in 1988 by Barb Dyker, it was used in a article on Usenet to the newsgroup comp.sys.mac

but there is the word noob and nOOb

noob= a new one that makes allot off mistakes or doesn't know what he does
nOOb= a person with experience but still acts on a lvl of a new (here player) person.

So if you have a player with for example a Tiger II that still can't play its not a noob but a nOOb

all comments welcome but keep it clean ;)

Mikicat #2 Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 3408 battles
Such an overused and misused word altogether X3. A new player is a newb until he acts in a bad way (as you say), often blaming others for their inexperience and such... It has always annoyed me that in for example Battlefield 3 some servers are called "4 noobs" when it's a newbie server =3.

SimpleMinds64 #3 Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16563 battles
whatever...

NOOB, noob, n00b ... it is a sad thing that people think they could judge over whomever with such a description ...

in no way people should name each other with such a word...

RESPECT, Tolerance ... that is what counts ...

to be honest.. sick of reading this word... ;)

IronChariot #4 Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8215 battles
I am one of those persons who use this word often, and frequently insults other players (something i later regret) when things don't work out as i would have liked it. It is indeed a bad word to use and i often realise how an idiot i personally am for insulting others over a game. I often forget that a game is ment to entertain rather then be a...work...towards a goal. The reason of my "break-downs" would not be the defeat or the underperformance of others, but the fact that a loss affects my time greatly (being a non premium user, i struggle to run my tier 8 tank, and a bad loss means 2 or 3 games on my tier 5, which can eat a half hour away easily, just so i can afford another battle on the bigger one). I just wanted to post from a point of view of a person who uses this insults to let steam out.

Another thing i would like to point out is that this game is, im quiet sure, popular for elder or even dissabilitated persons and i don't think its right for me, and for others like me, to put down people who might not be as great of a player as we younger ones are. Afterall, they just want to have fun and hell, they probably have more fun then us :). Sorry for the wall of text, it is just my way to express.

TaTn #5 Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 21330 battles
  • [AJD] AJD
No.
Newb and noob.
Check for comic on page 4
http://forum.worldof...nt/page__st__60

admiralbismarck #6 Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22625 battles

View PostTaTn, on 14 January 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

No.
Newb and noob.
Check for comic on page 4
http://forum.worldof...nt/page__st__60

thats a funny comic but I was talking about the history off the word your explain the meaning now ;)
and thnx to all for the comments  :P

steview162 #7 Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 33656 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
n00b - insult used by those with limited comprehension of their own limitations, and/or a high level of arrogance due to perceived ability in a game

JeffyShow #8 Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5164 battles

View Postadmiralbismarck, on 14 January 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

For those who use the word NOOB

The first time the word was used was on 20.31h on the 31 of may in 1988 by Barb Dyker, it was used in a article on Usenet to the newsgroup comp.sys.mac

but there is the word noob and nOOb

noob= a new one that makes allot off mistakes or doesn't know what he does
nOOb= a person with experience but still acts on a lvl of a new (here player) person.

So if you have a player with for example a Tiger II that still can't play its not a noob but a nOOb

all comments welcome but keep it clean ;)

I looked at your stats.
It feels like you are a nOOb.
Thanks! And you are welcome!

serpenta #9 Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14418 battles
  • [HB] HB
Humph... It all depends on how ppl are doing with self-irony. I was playing once with player that was pushing everybody around sitting in TD and it drove me nuts. He was pushing me and my platoon mate to scout for him and they started arguing, I was going forward counting on my mate, but it turned out that he was too preoccupied with dispute to help me in time and so I have got killed. It started a chat flame war with naming and shaming, I've called him Patton he called me Paulus but eventually we have come to peace when I said that he's using TD as a "I find some bush and type some text machine", he just send ":D" I resend it and at the end of battle we have swap courtesies. People need a little distance to themselves aswell. Another instance, some top tier player dies carelessly, someone writes "u mad?!" on chat, top tier responds "that may be the case" - situation has been cleaned by auto irony.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users