Let's Talk History: T-34 vs. M4A1 Sherman Showdown

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Tune in for a discussion about the two Tank Wars combatants and cast your vote, which one would dominate in a fight.

The full text of the news item

Simona2k #2 Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8064 battles
  • [FOXZA] FOXZA
interesting

ExeCutOr563 #3 Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1153 battles
  • [W-T_F] W-T_F

Can we please just get onto the next event?

Edited by ExeCutOr563, 06 May 2021 - 11:54 AM.

saxsan4 #4 Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:52 PM

General

• Player
  • 32791 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
a lot of articles about a total non event...

_217_ #5 Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30861 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCommunity, on 06 May 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

which one would dominate in a fight.

Uhm, the Panther obviously?

Dwigt #6 Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WG Staff
  • 2548 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_217_, on 06 May 2021 - 01:54 PM, said:

Uhm, the Panther obviously?

Good point but between a T-34 and Sherman I would personally go with the Sherman 

View Postsaxsan4, on 06 May 2021 - 01:52 PM, said:

a lot of articles about a total non event...

View PostExeCutOr563, on 06 May 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

Can we please just get onto the next event?

We have different types of events and game modes. This one might sound simple and easy but there's a point behind it :)

It's easy to join, accessible for everyone and hey... freebies are always welcome no? 

We have other events and game modes coming soon. Stay tuned!

saxsan4 #7 Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 32791 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostDwigt, on 06 May 2021 - 01:11 PM, said:

Good point but between a T-34 and Sherman I would personally go with the Sherman 

We have different types of events and game modes. This one might sound simple and easy but there's a point behind it :)

It's easy to join, accessible for everyone and hey... freebies are always welcome no? 

We have other events and game modes coming soon. Stay tuned!

i wait for next mode,

I havent been able to enjoy any for ages

I dont play steel hunter as its not proper tanks , 7v7 brawl is t10 but you ban my tanks fv215b 183 so i dont play and this is non event

I wait for frontlines , i loved road to berlin last year :( 

Dimitur2389 #8 Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38387 battles
  • [KAWKA] KAWKA
Why WG promote this boring event so haard.I just dont get it weak rewards=weak event.Make some intresting M4 vs T-34 15vs 15 this will be intresting,and rewards Fury or T-34Shielded.How you manage to kill every good event...I dont play anymore because nothing hold me

splashrun #9 Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

Corporal

• Clan Commander
  • 37998 battles
  • [11RHS] 11RHS
Craig propagates a myth himself: Sloped armor saves weight. It doesn't. Get out your geometry books! Simply put: sloped armor has to cover a greater distance. Sloped and nonsloped need the same amount of steel (weight). So, sloped will be thinner. Do the math: it amounts to the exact same amount of steel to be penetrated. Sloped does however bring disadvantages: less room in the tank (or a bigger tank), more difficult to make, and at long range (because of the trajectory of the shell being less flat) the slope effect will be less. Hardly mentioned advantage: the slope creates more ricochets (bounce off).

eekeeboo #10 Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 54403 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View Postsaxsan4, on 06 May 2021 - 04:56 PM, said:

i wait for next mode,

I havent been able to enjoy any for ages

I dont play steel hunter as its not proper tanks , 7v7 brawl is t10 but you ban my tanks fv215b 183 so i dont play and this is non event

I wait for frontlines , i loved road to berlin last year :( 

I'll take this opportuntiy to highlight that not everything has to be about a special mode and content production context is important and many people have been asking for more historical stuff ;) 

View PostDimitur2389, on 06 May 2021 - 07:06 PM, said:

Why WG promote this boring event so haard.I just dont get it weak rewards=weak event.Make some intresting M4 vs T-34 15vs 15 this will be intresting,and rewards Fury or T-34Shielded.How you manage to kill every good event...I dont play anymore because nothing hold me

Not every event has to be about more and more free stuff and rewards. What would you say to all those who don't like those tanks, those tiers etc, they would find it boring too. Content is better than just throwing free stuff at people who call everything not free loot boring ;) If you're playing only for the free stuff, nothing is going to be interesting for you and i hope you have fun with what you do now. 

12:30 Added after 0 minute

View Postsplashrun, on 07 May 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

Craig propagates a myth himself: Sloped armor saves weight. It doesn't. Get out your geometry books! Simply put: sloped armor has to cover a greater distance. Sloped and nonsloped need the same amount of steel (weight). So, sloped will be thinner. Do the math: it amounts to the exact same amount of steel to be penetrated. Sloped does however bring disadvantages: less room in the tank (or a bigger tank), more difficult to make, and at long range (because of the trajectory of the shell being less flat) the slope effect will be less. Hardly mentioned advantage: the slope creates more ricochets (bounce off).

I didn't know this specifically and do you have examples of this? :) 

Alpharius #11 Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12891 battles
  • [SKIL5] SKIL5

View Posteekeeboo, on 07 May 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

more historical stuff ;) 

Sadly this event feels not historical. Its supposed to be M4 vs T-34, and yet the list of participating tanks does include just some random tanks with zero relation to M4 or T-34, instead of making use of the many tanks with the M4/T-34 chassis that would exist in the game in various tiers. 

I enjoyed the podcast though, it was really interesting to watch, but ingame: absolute fail in my eyes. 

eekeeboo #12 Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 54403 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View PostAlpharius, on 07 May 2021 - 12:34 PM, said:

Sadly this event feels not historical. Its supposed to be M4 vs T-34, and yet the list of participating tanks does include just some random tanks with zero relation to M4 or T-34, instead of making use of the many tanks with the M4/T-34 chassis that would exist in the game in various tiers. 

I enjoyed the podcast though, it was really interesting to watch, but ingame: absolute fail in my eyes. 

Already stated that the issue with making exclusive to those tanks is you have less people wanting to and willing to play while simultanously risking swamping the server and destroying the server with those tanks and seal clubbing. For missions it's best to let people play at least with a tank more aligned with something they want to do without disrupting the game experience for others as much as possible :) The in-game has other options, but the missions most people will resent if you force people into being more and more constricted :) 

Alpharius #13 Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12891 battles
  • [SKIL5] SKIL5

View Posteekeeboo, on 07 May 2021 - 01:46 PM, said:

Already stated that the issue with making exclusive to those tanks is you have less people wanting to and willing to play while simultanously risking swamping the server and destroying the server with those tanks and seal clubbing. For missions it's best to let people play at least with a tank more aligned with something they want to do without disrupting the game experience for others as much as possible :) The in-game has other options, but the missions most people will resent if you force people into being more and more constricted :) 

Makes little sense to me, sorry. But maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying to limit the event on the two Tier 5 tanks mentioned in the title. 

How would anything change in the matches if instead of Churchill III the T34S/M4 Improved would have been picked? Or instead of the Cromwell B,  the Loza, Fury, Firefly or any other Tier 6 Sherman in the game. Instead of the Super Pershing it could have been the M4 Rev.  

None of this would led to more seal clubbing nor would it restrict people more than the tanks that have been picked. Its just different ones. 

Dimitur2389 #14 Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38387 battles
  • [KAWKA] KAWKA

View Posteekeeboo, on 07 May 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

I'll take this opportuntiy to highlight that not everything has to be about a special mode and content production context is important and many people have been asking for more historical stuff ;) 

Not every event has to be about more and more free stuff and rewards. What would you say to all those who don't like those tanks, those tiers etc, they would find it boring too. Content is better than just throwing free stuff at people who call everything not free loot boring ;) If you're playing only for the free stuff, nothing is going to be interesting for you and i hope you have fun with what you do now. 

Free stuf and WOT in one sentence this is lol.Peoples play for rewards, example i really  like Steel Hunter but after 3,4 battles its waste of time you dont get anything yea points for pass but good pass reward its behind pay wall.I pay eunough for this game and for what for +2 for gold spam?

Now i play WOT Console and is much more better and events is not just money grab. Things must be 50/50 pay and free not 90/10.

Example in wot console have event 75 battles be on top 7 and get one card with her you can win a tier6-8 prem tank gold and other. This is how keep players play. 

Dwigt #15 Posted 07 May 2021 - 04:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WG Staff
  • 2548 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAlpharius, on 07 May 2021 - 01:55 PM, said:

Makes little sense to me, sorry. But maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying to limit the event on the two Tier 5 tanks mentioned in the title. 

How would anything change in the matches if instead of Churchill III the T34S/M4 Improved would have been picked? Or instead of the Cromwell B,  the Loza, Fury, Firefly or any other Tier 6 Sherman in the game. Instead of the Super Pershing it could have been the M4 Rev.  

None of this would led to more seal clubbing nor would it restrict people more than the tanks that have been picked. Its just different ones. 

Although I do understand your point, the event is not only based on the hero tanks, T34 and the Sherman. The event is also a long week celebration of the VE day!

Each hero tank has a team its own team that will introduce some variety and different gameplay that will fit everyone in our community. As eekee said earlier, including only one type of tanks is not very healthy to the mode and the servers as well :)

View PostDimitur2389, on 07 May 2021 - 03:03 PM, said:

Free stuf and WOT in one sentence this is lol.Peoples play for rewards, example i really  like Steel Hunter but after 3,4 battles its waste of time you dont get anything yea points for pass but good pass reward its behind pay wall.I pay eunough for this game and for what for +2 for gold spam?

Now i play WOT Console and is much more better and events is not just money grab. Things must be 50/50 pay and free not 90/10.

Example in wot console have event 75 battles be on top 7 and get one card with her you can win a tier6-8 prem tank gold and other. This is how keep players play. 

Oh yes we have lots of free stuff on WoT, make sure you keep an eye on our articles and events. The game itself is free :) Rewards in game modes are relative to its duration and difficulty. Some people play the mode for the rewards, others play it only because they enjoy playing it. Based on your feedback from last year, we removed the main rewards from Steel Hunter and linked to the battle pass so that you don't feel you're missing out on rewards if you don't like playing the mode.

StinkyCamper #16 Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35861 battles
  • [SCBL] SCBL
Stug III G would take a crap on them both.

splashrun #17 Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

Corporal

• Clan Commander
  • 37998 battles
  • [11RHS] 11RHS

WOTScreenshot 2021-05-10 154743.pngView Posteekeeboo, on 07 May 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postsplashrun, on 07 May 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

https://en.wikipedia...i/Sloped_armour

Especially here:

Quoting from there "...in armoured vehicle design the two other main effects of sloping have been the motive to apply sloped armour.

One of these is a more efficient envelopment of a certain vehicle volume by armour. In general, more rounded forms have a lesser surface relative to their volume. As in an armoured vehicle that surface has to be covered by heavy armour, a more efficient form can lead to a substantial weight reduction or a thicker armour for the same weight. Sloping the armour can lead to a better approximation of an ideal rounded form.

The final effect is that of deflection, deforming and ricochet of a projectile. "

As for the effect of grenades from a long vs short distance, I tried to draw it here. Long range grenades come from a different angle..Pic attached to post (on the top).

In WoT specifically, since so many people shoot handgrenades, euh sorry, HE grenades, the slope in-game does nothing. At all. Better have 90 degrees and thicker than thinner sloped..

And the overmatch rules only consider thicknes, not the angle effect either. In the above picture the non-sloped will be "autopen" with 90mm grenade, the sloped one with 45MM...

Edited by splashrun, 10 May 2021 - 02:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users