Fjords Map Gameplay Positioning Skill

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Lanrefni #21 Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46876 battles

View PostLethalWalou, on 19 May 2021 - 02:16 PM, said:

Seems like another player has found out that players are what is making the map bad. If only people from west spawn would indeed do something other than camp in the worst position ever while giving away map control.

Have you considered that there are only basically 3 (maybe 4) decent positions for the west spawn or are you going to speak against majority again?

All of these positions are on the high ground, there is absolutely nothing for the west spawn to do, and if you get pushed in the mid (9 / 10 battles), you go to redline A/B 1 and snipe for however much damage you can, as there is simply nothing else that can be done to reverse the game for a win, because you're cornered while the heavies in the corridor trade for ~5 minutes, when the battle is being decided in the mid and high ground.

This maps' design is pure bulls**t, there is literally no other map which has been trashed as much as Fjords.

Besides, I already lost count of the amount of times a single tank on your team was enough to throw the entire game. And no, that is no an exaggeration.

Edited by Lanrefni, 19 May 2021 - 04:16 PM.

Kill_Broccoli #22 Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28711 battles
  • [TAAAC] TAAAC

View PostLethalWalou, on 19 May 2021 - 01:58 PM, said:

I see the situation same as it is on Live Oaks. On Live Oaks north has shorter and faster route to the dip, but you never really see people going for it but instead they stay back and give that to the south team. The map offers similar and different possibilities for both teams to take advantage of in the dip position, but north teams generally don't use them, they tend to just sit on their side waiting to get themselves in a crossfire.

It's just because the North has a much better firing position than the south, more covers, straight line, buildings etc. South is less lucky due to the second dip and the limited uncover space on the outside of the tracks.

LethalWalou #23 Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39785 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View PostLanrefni, on 19 May 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

Have you considered that there are only basically 3 (maybe 4) decent positions for the west spawn or are you going to speak against majority again?

All of these positions are on the high ground, there is absolutely nothing for the west spawn to do, and if you get pushed in the mid (9 / 10 battles), you go to redline A/B 1 and snipe for however much damage you can, as there is simply nothing else that can be done to reverse the game for a win, because you're cornered while the heavies in the corridor trade for ~5 minutes, when the battle is being decided in the mid and high ground.

This maps' design is pure bulls**t, there is literally no other map which has been trashed as much as Fjords.

Besides, I already lost count of the amount of times a single tank on your team was enough to throw the entire game. And no, that is no an exaggeration.

You do realise I agreed with you? You see it as no one really knowing how to play the map and I pointed out that you're thus one more person to understand that players are the reason why the map feels so bad. Are you now changing your view and think the map is simply bad? Why change your view like that?

You have options from west spawn, but the main point is to not go sitting in the north field without having map control. You can contest the middle at start but if you do you cant stay on the upper side and let the enemies peek you. I recently tried to contest the middle from the top but quickly realised that no friendlies were coming and the enemies had 4 tanks coming, so I just left and made sure the enemies can't push from the middle. I had a crap game but I helped making sure that we win by denying the enemies map control.

You can also go to F3 bushes at start, not to the corner, but behind thee bushes. You will spot the enemies coming to the middle because you're there before them. This way you give your team information (like my team gave me in my example battle) and you can make a decision based on that information yourself. The map isn't fast paced so you can still relocate to help north if needed or keep going south, or just wait for an opportunity to do late push in the dip. Last option is the south flank.

These are just initial plays though and you can do more depending on how the game evolves. if you're not fighting on the south flank with HTs, and if you can't push for map control yourself, your main priorities should be to deny enemy from taking map control in north or making sure they can't use the middle road to flank to your base or your HTs.

If map control is lost, people really should fall back to the spawn and force the enemies into narrow bottlenecks that you can then control. The base is able to be defended, I'll add a map about it. My favorite position is in E1 (marked with dashed line) because it has the widest view of the situation, you can see pretty much all the incoming tanks from there, marked in green, and you can spot most of them as well. You can knock down a tree to spot from and stay unspotted while firing,

Spoiler

Hedgehog1963 #24 Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 65628 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

Really dislike this map.  We're just fed onto one of three corridors.  the only interesting place to fight where the road from N spawn  approaches the  rocks near the pool and below that central hill and the N players are just open to SPG fire if they try to fight there.

The trouble is there are maps I hate more.  I only have Prokhorovka enabled if I'm playing in LTs because it is horrible for everyone else and right now I am sick to death of Ghost Town.

Lanrefni #25 Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46876 battles

Block Quote

recently tried to contest the middle from the top but quickly realised that no friendlies were coming and the enemies had 4 tanks coming

This is basically how it always ends. You push there, expecting someone to help you, but it takes 3-5 seconds to realise what you're doing, then another 3-5 seconds to actually decide whether to help you or not.

The map is objectively bad. Bad players obviously make it even worse.

LethalWalou #26 Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39785 battles
  • [SIWA] SIWA

View PostLanrefni, on 19 May 2021 - 05:30 PM, said:

This is basically how it always ends. You push there, expecting someone to help you, but it takes 3-5 seconds to realise what you're doing, then another 3-5 seconds to actually decide whether to help you or not.

If people do go there, they don't run away though, they just stay there and die for free. I knew enough to run away and instead knock down the near pine trees and stay in them so I could spot the enemies moving in and out of the upper position. This way they weren't able to take advantage of the map control they had.

If you go to middle, you have to contest it by engaging the tanks in the lower ground, in the water. This is the right thing to do, it's not the map's fault if players decide to do the wrong thing and die for free. As said, the map is playable from both sides, people just keep doing the same mistake time and time again even though they are punished for it constantly.

Someone going to the F3 bush position also helps people to see what actually is coming to middle, that was part of the reason why I ran away immediately. I would have of course spotted them myself but having people at F3 allowed me to move out unspotted. So if you still decide to play the map, go to F3 bushes at start and figure out from there what to do.

Kdingo #27 Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36919 battles

View PostLanrefni, on 19 May 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

It's a general issue with aggressive, aktive play as you certainly will have to rely on your teammates to act Accordingly, as there is no quality control you never know Bevorhand and when you know it's usually to late.

Which forces you to be more cautious, passive as otherwise you may just get blown up for no gain.

CandyVanMan #28 Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32458 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA

Horrible map, very unbalanced for and against both teams.

Don't think it's possible to balance such an asymmetrical map to be fair to both teams.

Still don't hate it as much as Tundra, Cliff and Mines, but it's near the top for being the worst.

Also tagged with Fjords, Map, Gameplay, Positioning, Skill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users