Frontlines Tier 9 Stage 1 Pros & Cons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

L0rd_0f_War #1 Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14359 battles
  • [O-S-C] O-S-C

Now that the first stage of FL 2021 is over, here are some observations I wish to share (including some pros and cons). I played 65 games with an average of 994 Avg FL experience (66 actually, but WG server disconnected me in last 20 secs of the game to deny me a General Rank with zero everything, and wasted 3 boosters by locking my account for a further 15 mins after the match):

General Observations:

1. Addition of Tier 9s made getting Higher/General Rank easier and I saw up-to 11 players with General Rank in a single game on the attacking side (with 8 or so on the Defending side). Previous Tier 8 only iterations would max see 5-6 General Ranks per side at most, but now 8-10 General ranks were quite common.

2. One of the reasons for so many more General Ranks per game was longer games, as towards the latter part of the week/FL episode, the defending teams in their Tier 9s were almost always able to force a time out and deny the attackers victory. This resulted in 26 min matches, loads of General Rank players, but winning on Attack almost a novelty.

3. Tier 9s were available way too early at times as Attackers over-ran B and E Zones (specially on Kraftwerk) with A and C Zones still not taken. This meant, even Zones A and C were then subject to Tier 9 tanks (with as little as 5-8 mins after battle start). Overall, on the attacking side, it became increasingly easier to capture Zones because of Tier 9s, and harder to hold the Zones. So many games we (attackers) ended with 10+ mins left after taking all 6 zones, yet, almost all games (in the last 4 days), we could not destroy 3 objectives (2 objectives for the most part), because even 10 mins were not enough this iteration due to defenders having access to Tier 9s. The Balance of Power shifted drastically after taking the Zones.

4. Credit and XP income was as good as before, and despite using Tier 9s (with premium account), you could make decent credits. Without premium account, Tier 9s would barely break even without using credit boosters.

5. I could and did grind my stock Tier 9s along with many tech tree Tier 8s, so XP earnings from FL matches with General or Major Ranks were very welcome. Even while using stock Tier 8/9 tanks, I could get General Rank easier than before due to longer matches (26 mins) on average.

6. There were fewer EBRs this iteration, a lot more Bourrasque, same number of Progetto among Tier 8s, with Reward Tier 9s (like Phase 1, Char Futur & Kunze Pz) being most popular/common sight along with plenty of T95, T10, E75, Standard B, etc.

Pros:

1. Frontlines remains a good concept with repair, re-spawn, longer games, larger maps. It is far more dynamic, rewarding (Credits & XP) and fun for me when compared to Randoms which I find toxic 15v3 turbo +2MM simulator.

2. Ability to grind stock Tier 9s and 8s.

Cons:

1. Gimped/non-existing rewards for FL tiers. Compared to 2019 or even 2020, all rewards have been removed, and replaced with useless BP points. Useless, unless you have the improved (paid for) BP, and you haven't already completed/purchased the BP. Rewards should not have to be bought, as was always the case in previous seasons, and hence the BP linkage as a replacement for dedicated rewards/tanks is just a P2W scam and huge nerf to rewards in both FL and SH modes.

2. Tier 9 addition without any further balance to the mode has resulted in imbalance between attacking/defending sides. Tier 9s are made available too early and can be selected any number of times once available. Tier 9s should be a novelty in this mode. WG took 1 year since last season of FL in 2020 to basically add Tier 9s and remove all rewards in the name of whatever development they said they were doing for this mode.

3. WG still hates FL and treats this mode as a step child. Its the most requested special mode and played by many, yet WG only allows 4 weeks in a year (at best) for this mode. Why a company would develop something good, then limit it in such a way is beyond me. WG wants everyone to keep playing the single mode (Randoms) after 10+ years, instead of bring more variety to the game by adding a secondary (more casual) mode to the game for those who don't enjoy the 15v3 toxic-turbo +2mm game mode anymore.

Essential Fix to FL with Tier 9s:

1. Short of removing Tier 9s from FL, I would highly suggest balance changes to how Tier 9s are made available and in what quantity in this mode. At the very least, once Tier 9s are opened in a game, they should have their own queue/timer, separate from the existing Tier 8 queue (tank reserves). And the max reserve for Tier 9s should be 1 plus 1 (on a timer) and not two reserves plus 1 on timer like for Tier 8s.

2. Attacking and Defending has to be balanced keeping in view Tier 9s impact on the results in favour of defending teams.

3. Full season of Frontlines like in 2019 with dedicated rewards. BP points would be acceptable if players didn't have to first buy the good rewards in the improved BP. The free portion of BP is garbage.

Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_043.jpg   252.07K

Blackfox1990 #2 Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20537 battles
  • [PBSJA] PBSJA
This is simply a well written feedback that I can fully support.

Astrolansen #3 Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3202 battles
  • [-SPK-] -SPK-

First allow me to say thanks for sharing your honest PoV as well and taking your time typing all that. I made my own thread about this some days ago myself.

Feel free to check it out and I always welcome any comments or feedback as long it's atleast constructive critisism.

That said and to make this post shorter, someone already made a Poll not long ago and currently the ratio is 1-11 against having T9's in FL mode. Which I agree on.

It's not only the common players that are mostly feeling against this but also the bigger known streamers like Quickybaby, Skill and others. Fingers crossed WG will remove T9 in the next Stage-2 (20th September).

http://forum.worldof...ne-tier-9-vote/

L0rd_0f_War #4 Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14359 battles
  • [O-S-C] O-S-C

View PostAstrolansen, on 24 August 2021 - 12:21 PM, said:

First allow me to say thanks for sharing your honest PoV as well and taking your time typing all that. I made my own thread about this some days ago myself.

Feel free to check it out and I always welcome any comments or feedback as long it's atleast constructive critisism.

That said and to make this post shorter, someone already made a Poll not long ago and currently the ratio is 1-11 against having T9's in FL mode. Which I agree on.

It's not only the common players that are mostly feeling against this but also the bigger known streamers like Quickybaby, Skill and others. Fingers crossed WG will remove T9 in the next Stage-2 (20th September).

http://forum.worldof...ne-tier-9-vote/

Yes I saw the poll, and didn't vote as I would have preferred a 3rd option, like limited Tier 9s availability once certain conditions are met. I would be just fine with the old full tier 8 format, as I felt that was far more balanced (even with an unsavoury amount of EBRs), compared to having a mix of Tier 8s and 9s. I can however, live with the addition of Tier 9s to the mode as long as its done in a limited or a balanced manner. I made one suggestion in my original post with respect to separate tank reserves queue for Tier 9s after they are unlocked in battle. This could be further limited to 1 use per player per match of a Tier 9 once they reach the Captain Rank. This would mean that people would not just willy nilly utilize their one Tier 9 slot and can't just jump into a Tier 9 the moment a tier 2 Zone is captured, and then keep selecting one tier 9 after another, while destroying the balance between the attacking/defending teams.

Obviously WG is most concerned about credit economy in game, monetization of anything and everything possible, and not game balance and enjoyment. Otherwise we would have seen the repeat of full season of FL with amazing rewards like we had in 2019, and FL mode developed further with more maps, greater availability, etc. At this time, WG has been trying their best to limit FL since 2020, pushing Steel Hunter for equal amount of weeks a year just as a filler. Everyone knows, SH was a total flop this year without dedicated rewards. I couldn't get a single match in platoon in SH (just as an experiment, I tried many times over the 4 episodes). Each SH episode, people cried out for FL, and WG and their staff kept pushing SH and minimizing FL, sometimes saying its under development. The Year long so-called development basically was addition of Tier 9s (without any sane limits - thereby destroying balance) and changing how combat reserves are now forced on us (without even working out the shortcut keys for each reserve the same across different tank types... You have to just press keys between 7-9 and hope you got the right one in a crunch). This is why I have little hope for WG doing something good for this game, because they developed a great FL mode since they developed Randoms over 10 years ago, and then trashed it and minimize it so we can't play enough of it. Why a company would bury a successful mode like this (because they can't figure out their economy) is beyond me.

SaintMaddenus #5 Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 47894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBlackfox1990, on 24 August 2021 - 10:23 AM, said:

This is simply a well written feedback that I can fully support.

I agree however for some reason I cannot like

eldrak #6 Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 59819 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

I agree with pretty much everything the op said.

The tier 9s need to be much more limited or removed.

They should be enable after last of D/E/F is captured or when first turret is destroyed

Spectral_Warrior #7 Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15913 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The issue that I experienced with the tier 9 tanks, is that once they were available and you started to encounter them, I also chose to use a tier9 after I was inevitably killed because you felt you had to equalize the ante.

You get this weird situation where you may feel like you'll be lacking and are more or less forced to go into a tier 9 yourself. Sort of supply/demand thing, where the demand increases/prevails on account of its need, or more accurately its perceived need.

On that basis the tier 9s are not as desirable in this mode.

Yet... I still find myself a bit devided on them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users