M5 has no useful gun since HE nerf

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: M5 has no useful gun since HE nerf (89 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you think the M5 needs a better gun?

1. Yes (70 votes [78.65%])

Percentage of vote: 78.65%

2. No (19 votes [21.35%])

Percentage of vote: 21.35%

Vote Hide poll

RKMac #1 Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22792 battles
I'm so so close to getting a Chaffe and never having to play the M5 Stuart again but I am getting really frustrated with it trying to get the last couple of 1000xp needed because since high explosive shells got nerfed I cannot damage anything!

My last game, just prior to me logging onto the forums to have a rant I came face to face with a leopard, the German tier 4 light tank so you would think a fairly even match! Not so...

I fired two shots before dying, the first of which hit the side of the tank and did nothing at all, it might as well have been a firework... The second did infinitly better and dealt an entire 1% of damage. The leopard had already returned fire several times before this and took about 30% of my health away before another tank came and in one shot finished me off.

So, the battle ends, we lose, and I get an amazing 90 odd xp.

Has anyone else had experience of playing the M5 since HE mechanics got screwed up and feels the same? I think its ****ing stupid that the choice of gun for this tank which regularly faces tier 9s is either a 37mm which will not penetrate, or a 75mm which is woefully inaccurate, and even when it does hit will do no damage!!!

Just as a point of interest, the 75mm gun only has 40 rounds which meant that against the leopard, unless I got some decent shots in its back would have still been alive long after I had run out of ammo. Surely this has to be a major oversight on the part of the developers?

Oh well, only another 249 deaths until I never have to play it again!

Private_Miros #2 Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27127 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87
I used to get top gun with my M5 regularly. In any case 3 kills whenever I ended up in a good MM battle that we won on average.
Since 7.0 I didn't make a single kill. And after 7.1 I just sold my Stuart.

Wolfesblut #3 Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 17283 battles
  • [READ] READ
You both get a +1, honoring your action in a tank that I was so thankful to finally sell (I'd like to get a Chaffee, but unless I have 55k XP lying around, it's not gonna happen)! :Smile_honoring:

theta0123 #4 Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 9439 battles
  • [FHA] FHA

View PostRKMac, on 16 January 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'm so so close to getting a Chaffe and never having to play the M5 Stuart again but I am getting really frustrated with it trying to get the last couple of 1000xp needed because since high explosive shells got nerfed I cannot damage anything!

My last game, just prior to me logging onto the forums to have a rant I came face to face with a leopard, the German tier 4 light tank so you would think a fairly even match! Not so...

I fired two shots before dying, the first of which hit the side of the tank and did nothing at all, it might as well have been a firework... The second did infinitly better and dealt an entire 1% of damage. The leopard had already returned fire several times before this and took about 30% of my health away before another tank came and in one shot finished me off.

So, the battle ends, we lose, and I get an amazing 90 odd xp.

Has anyone else had experience of playing the M5 since HE mechanics got screwed up and feels the same? I think its ****ing stupid that the choice of gun for this tank which regularly faces tier 9s is either a 37mm which will not penetrate, or a 75mm which is woefully inaccurate, and even when it does hit will do no damage!!!

Just as a point of interest, the 75mm gun only has 40 rounds which meant that against the leopard, unless I got some decent shots in its back would have still been alive long after I had run out of ammo. Surely this has to be a major oversight on the part of the developers?

Oh well, only another 249 deaths until I never have to play it again!
http://forum.worldof...-for-m5-stuart/

Get in there and show your support!

azakow #5 Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 84925 battles
thx for sharing you thoughts on the gun

Would you also share a replay of your upcomming 249 battles?
I'm asking, because I would really like to see your steps to fight a Leopard. If possible a similar battle.
Thank you.

Psycho_Baby_ #6 Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 61266 battles
We won't get a new gun for the Stuart, I'm afraid, because it would take the niche of the upcoming M8A1 Tier TD. Basically it will be an M5 with 57/75mm guns.

HE_DP #7 Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14873 battles
I think the M5 doesn't need a new gun, the HE shells just need a bit of a buff, maybe in the splash range department if not explosion strength. Currently it's only 1m or so and shooting at open-topped TDs I rarely ever get the catastrophic damage. The HE shells only work well against the paper rear armor of low-tier tanks, even a Wolverine is too much for these cherrybombs.

Grafix_01 #8 Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9738 battles
I agree with the OP. I elited the M5 pre 7.0 and it was a good scout tank that could fight its corner to some degree when discovered. Towards the end of a match it was a great arty hunter too.

Now though it may as well not carry ammo since it has so little chance to do anything except mark the paint on most 'like for like' foes. This story didn't end well for me either - I didn't enjoy the Chaffee after all the grind! Sold it rather quickly.

Post 7.0 for scouting I would always use the T50 - and if you want a tier 5 light for lulz then the T50-2 would be my choice.

I'll check out the other thread too - as a new gun for the M5 seems a fair thing to do to make it a viable machine again.

CrazyWelshy #9 Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13079 battles
  • [M_G_C] M_G_C
Pre and post 7.1 this tank is still a weak tank, only if you don't use it in the right situation.  I'll give that my survivability has dropped lately because I can't HE blast enemy turrets or tracks off.

My only chance in my old M5 Stuart was to scout and let the enemy tanks fight them.  Then blitz past try to hit them up the rear, or if I feel safe/cocky run to their base and smash their artillery.

Its still a weak tank, but the HE nerf means its slightly less reliably in my games.

Listy #10 Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 12157 battles
Yup, its gone to rubbish since the HE changes. But Overlord has veto'd any changes we've suggested. In fact he maintains that there's nothing wrong with it.
But when you can turn up to a battle and get above the average EXP for the tank just by sitting in base and letting the team win one has to wonder.

Here's a Replay:
http://www.mediafire...6y8ji2oj2opj7o1

This battle I spotted one tank and achieved nothing else. I got about 300 Exp. Overlord has said the average for the M5 is 200.

Truth be told I sold my M5 not so long ago, That battle was the final straw. But mostly for the same reason I got rid of the Leopard. Because the tank is unable to defend its self against enemies its likely to meet.

Want a laugh, go look at the M5 Numbers and battle played on the EU server (in Snibs post in General discussion) and its win rate. Compare to the T-50.

Edit:
The scary thing is the M22 locust is actually a better tank, especially as its Tier III.

arct1c #11 Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 5623 battles
They really ruind US  side , dont even bother fixing before they earn money for T34 T30.

Reall bad!

Magitech #12 Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16263 battles
Pretty hard grind to the chaffe with the new HE mechanics.

Atleast i again found a way to dmg KVs and KV3s if you manage to get behind them you are able to shoot their armour above the engine dealing 2-15% dmg each shot sometimes knocking out the engine.
Killed a few KVs and 1 KV3 that way which was really funny, i have to say you can still deal dmg to most tanks ingame with the HE gun but most of the time only from behind and most of the time not more then 1-5%.
As scout the M5 is outclassed by the T-50 in every aspect so i played it as supporter for heavys and when i had the chance tryed to get in the back of the enemy only to annoy them with the 1-5% i would make while shooting the back of their turrets i always enjoyed it when the try to get me only to get overrun by my teammates and even if they got me i feeled like i made the difference.
Its a funny tank but it tock me some time to feel usefull again after the HE change.

The howitzer is still the best gun for it.

Pikolo01 #13 Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20929 battles
I just don't get it...
M 5 stuart is the tier 4 with the best gun. I didn't play with it before the HE nerf, but it is actually OP now, so if it was really better back then.... i once got 9 kills when i was top tier, and other tier 4 lights ccan't be good in that role. in ordinary battles, u just have to know 3 things:
1. russian TD's lack side armour!
2. american turreted TD's lack side armour!
3 arty lacks armour!
And i got like aroud 300 exp average. I got m 24 chaffe, which is for me unplayable. tried it on friens account and it is a sherman after a nerf...
Idk if i am mad but for me and better gun i could get would be the 105 mm howitzer, but it is moore than fine now... and remember that u shoot every 3.5 s so it is a machine howitzer... though shots for 0 can be frustrating. if u get 1 it means: change your aim a bit. and it works all the tim e for me. never got 2 bullets for  0 in row! :Smile_great:

Highway_Star #14 Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18389 battles
You could take the gun off the M5 altogether and I'd still be able to use it well. Camo net + camo training + binocs + sitting in a bush = win. The M5 is a great scout and you make tons of money and XP if there's lots of high tier tanks using your spotting. I actually perfer being placed in higher tier matches with my M5.

knightM #15 Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48398 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
How do you bush scout on Himmelsdorf? :)

The M5 is ok, not awesome, but not all that bad either, the gun lottery is kind of the main negative yes.

The story of 5 consecutive shots today:

1. shot - into PZ III rear/side => 70 damage and detrack... nice
2. shot - into same PZ III side ( he now has 46 hp left) => 30 damage... grrr
3. shot - killing PZ III... ok
4. shot - into T-25 (which is quite well armored) from front => T-25 dead from 140 hp... lol :)
5. shot - side of T40 TD => 10 hp damage .... ehh wut?

This lottery becomes a bit annoying when you fire at that lone arty behind enemy lines and only do 30 hp damage (happened vs Hummel).

del500044138 #16 Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12499 battles
  • [N-O-D] N-O-D
Why do people still complain about the RNG? Its a well established part of the game and you have to account for it.

Sometimes I would do 14dmg to the front of a pzIII but then from the side i'd nearly one shot him. As a rule of thumb if you can hit the sides, rear or top then you'll be doing crazy damage. But sometimes you don't. That's just part of the game.

I loved this tank, ace tanker and a bunch of 7 kill games. Gun is wicked in low tiers, doesn't need a new gun at all.

Highway_Star #17 Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 18389 battles

View PostknightM, on 05 April 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

How do you bush scout on Himmelsdorf? :)

Yeh urban maps are terrible for me. It's made worse because artillery has limited effectivness on urban maps. So even if I do spot things - the arty still doesn't have line of sight :(.

I usually do a suicide scout on urban maps. But on big 'bushy' maps I'm credit to team hehe.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users