Incoming Strumtiger line?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

GrannyPanties #1 Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4518 battles

I know this is only for console version atm. But sooner or later, it will come to the PC version

what do you think? early April fool joke?

saxsan4 #2 Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 32375 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
Anazing! We meee this with hetzer derp tier 4

Marco_Is_Legend2019 #3 Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 333 battles

Real men playing WOT PC will get the twin turbo version of course...

guinty1 #4 Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40323 battles
Need more German and British lines anyway

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 13 October 2021 - 06:32 PM.
Removed unrelated topic.

olmocap #5 Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24158 battles

I personally don't think they'll add the line because of the reload time the sturmtiger would get but hey, who knows, maybe they put it in the game anyway and you get to shoot once before some of the battles are over

Edited by Desyatnik_Pansy, 13 October 2021 - 06:33 PM.
Removed part of the post referring to a removed topic.

leggasiini #6 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20824 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Unlikely, but with them appearing on Console without unrealistically minmaxed stats, it's not impossible.

I personally hope they won't appear (even though my masochist self would love to play them), they're far too polarizing and balancing them is an absolute nightmare, even with significantly less polarizing numbers as you'd expect from guns with calibers literally 50% bigger than the one on the T92, which itself has +50% bigger gun than almost anything else in the game. The tanks are very hard to balance so that they're neither completely awful nor completely broken. Right now, they seem to be pretty awful on the Console, like the tier 8 is basically a Ferdi with -2 gun dep and slightly bigger ISU gun that has heavily gimped gun handling and shell velocity (and the ISU itself doesn't really have particularly good gun handling). I don't think anyone but absolute masochists would like to play that thing - it's basically an even derpier Japanese heavy with much worse armor, no turret and -2 gun dep (on a tall platform, too). The tier 9 has -1 gun dep, while being even bigger and slower than the tier 8, but to compensate, it can overmatch 101 mm plates with it's AP shells and it has JP E100 alpha at tier 9. The Sturmtiger ironicially enough seems less polarizing than some of the other tanks in the line; it's extremely minmaxed for sure, but it's honestly not exactly that special when our 183s still have more alpha with access to high pen HESH (183s "only" have 1450 alpha on Console), while having a turret as well, less derpy guns (lol), and better AP shells. This is all without even considering that Console still has the old HE mechanics; if the line was added on PC as it is, it would easily be by far the worst line in the entire game. Japanese heavies are already terrible, and these would basically be them but with half the armor, no turrets, even derpier, clunkier guns and no gun depression, and bigger calibers to "compensate". 

That being said, despite having massive balance issues, there's a plenty of "good" reasons why this line could appear on PC:

• They're on Console. When something appears on X, the Y will complain "we want this too!". There's also the fact that the models likely already exist on PC (Console usually gets a lot of assets, even unused, from the PC team), so implementing this line would be a lot easier than most other lines in modelling perspective (which is usually the most time consuming aspect of new lines)
  • It's a Sturmtiger. It's a legend, people have wanted it since the beginning. No matter how hard to balance, there's always been demand for it because it's well...Sturmtiger.
  • The stats are polarizing, but they're not "completely out of the world". When Sturmtiger is mentioned, people expect something that has 50 meter splash and oneshots Maus with a non-penetrating hit (which is apparently exactly what it was when first tested YEARS ago on PC). However, in Console, it's basically a different flavor of 183s with a bit derpier (but not that much) gun but much clunkier platform to compensate. Sure, it's still very polarizing, but far, far more plausible than something with literally +6000 alpha damage.
  • HE rework being a thing means that WG could experiment with more HE based stuff again, which we're already seeing with some of the premiums on the supertest (VK 28.01 with the derp, Caliban). Maybe these could be easier to balance around new HE mechanics now that they no longer can freely splash you for +800 damage, dunno.

If the line is well received on Console, I think there's a decent chance WG will at least experiment them in some way on PC. Probably not anytime soon, but at least I wouldn't say "never ever" anymore, like I would've still said just a month ago if the Sturmtiger got mentioned.

As I said, though, I really hope these won't appear on PC. Trust me, it's not going to be worth the trouble. Good luck implementing these without making them neither (semi-) unplayable or extremely problematic.

Edited by leggasiini, 13 October 2021 - 06:30 PM.

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 75818 battles

Always happy to have more tank lines and new nations as well.

Since WOT is not a historical WW2 tank sim who fought and when is irrelevant.

But even though some Nations were occupied some of their forces survived and continued fighting either as conventional forces based in other countries or as covert forces in their homelands.

Some of their tanks continued to be used by the occupying forces.

Now thats out of the way this is a what if game of tank warfare starting around the time of WW2 into the 50s and even 60s with tank development continuing in all those nations.

There are still some tanks they could add but its hard finding a complete line

I

Desyatnik_Pansy #8 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

Bartender

• 21783 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I've went and cleaned the thread up a bit by removing the unrelated discussion happening here. While I get that this being a tank game with a large basis in WWII, none of what was being discussed here has anything to do with the Console Sturmtiger line presented by the OP. Try not to continue it again.

Kdingo #9 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36834 battles

View PostMarco_Is_Legend2019, on 13 October 2021 - 04:23 PM, said:

Real men playing WOT PC will get the twin turbo version of course...

Comes with a downside, if you shoot into barrel while it's loaded it will instantly blow up and deal 50% of it's damage roll over a 200m area.

Off course team damage has to be turned on for this feature.

People will treat it as if it has lepra.

UrQuan #10 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:47 PM

General

• Player
  • 25069 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

WG did experiment with implementing this line years ago, but in the end, it never made it in, because it was too hard to balance. Things change tho & as Leggasiini mentions, if the line proves popular enough on console, it could find its way into PC WoT.

If it does & the line comes with AP or APCR shells, people are going to have some hard lessons on armor overmatch. 

Marco_Is_Legend2019 #11 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 333 battles

View PostKdingo, on 13 October 2021 - 06:38 PM, said:

Comes with a downside, if you shoot into barrel while it's loaded it will instantly blow up and deal 50% of it's damage roll over a 200m area.

Off course team damage has to be turned on for this feature.

People will treat it as if it has lepra.

WG had a similar idea (LOL). From the official article...

"And remember: HE shells have a large splash radius, so if the enemy groups up, shoot at the ones closest to each other to splash-damage your way to victory."

arthurwellsley #12 Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61646 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postleggasiini, on 13 October 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

That being said, despite having massive balance issues, there's a plenty of "good" reasons why this line could appear on PC:

• They're on Console. When something appears on X, the Y will complain "we want this too!". There's also the fact that the models likely already exist on PC (Console usually gets a lot of assets, even unused, from the PC team), so implementing this line would be a lot easier than most other lines in modelling perspective (which is usually the most time consuming aspect of new lines)
  • Console has Chieftain mk VI. We want Chieftain mk VI.

• It's a Sturmtiger. It's a legend, people have wanted it since the beginning. No matter how hard to balance, there's always been demand for it because it's well...Sturmtiger.
  • Chieftain mk VI is a legend and console has it and PC never has.

• The stats are polarizing, but they're not "completely out of the world". When Sturmtiger is mentioned, people expect something that has 50 meter splash and oneshots Maus with a non-penetrating hit (which is apparently exactly what it was when first tested YEARS ago on PC). However, in Console, it's basically a different flavor of 183s with a bit derpier (but not that much) gun but much clunkier platform to compensate. Sure, it's still very polarizing, but far, far more plausible than something with literally +6000 alpha damage.
  • HE rework being a thing means that WG could experiment with more HE based stuff again, which we're already seeing with some of the premiums on the supertest (VK 28.01 with the derp, Caliban). Maybe these could be easier to balance around new HE mechanics now that they no longer can freely splash you for +800 damage, dunno.

If the line is well received on Console, I think there's a decent chance WG will at least experiment them in some way on PC. Probably not anytime soon, but at least I wouldn't say "never ever" anymore, like I would've still said just a month ago if the Sturmtiger got mentioned.

As I said, though, I really hope these won't appear on PC. Trust me, it's not going to be worth the trouble. Good luck implementing these without making them neither (semi-) unplayable or extremely problematic.

But apart from the Chieftain mk VI stuff I agree with what leggasiini says.

saxsan4 #13 Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 32375 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
yes and we need AVRE British line too 

Gremlin182 #14 Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 75818 battles

Adding AVRE type assault guns as opposed to Tank Destroyers would have worked better than current SPGs.

Wouldnt mind the Churchill with the Petard Mortar the Brumbar and even the Sturmtiger.

They could speed up the reload on the Sturmtiger as long as its not introduced with AP HEAT and so on.

But as direct fire artillery using HE it could be fine.

Kdingo #15 Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36834 battles

View PostMarco_Is_Legend2019, on 13 October 2021 - 06:53 PM, said:

WG had a similar idea (LOL). From the official article...

"And remember: HE shells have a large splash radius, so if the enemy groups up, shoot at the ones closest to each other to splash-damage your way to victory."

Sounds like the perfect tank for our 44% folks. Finally a chance to hit more then one enemy before the inevitable death.

saxsan4 #16 Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:02 PM

General

• Player
  • 32375 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostGremlin182, on 13 October 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

Adding AVRE type assault guns as opposed to Tank Destroyers would have worked better than current SPGs.

Wouldnt mind the Churchill with the Petard Mortar the Brumbar and even the Sturmtiger.

They could speed up the reload on the Sturmtiger as long as its not introduced with AP HEAT and so on.

But as direct fire artillery using HE it could be fine.

they are Tds not SPGS

Sturmtiger should have

HEAT pen 240 HEAT Dmg 1,250

reload 35 seconds 

HE 2,000 DMG

Pen 90

Edited by saxsan4, 13 October 2021 - 08:05 PM.

WingedArchon #17 Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15562 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Didn't they have a special event of this thing some time ago?
wasn't it so that this thing did like 3k damage and had 10k health?

Would the gimmick of these vehicles in the line be the ability to oneshot enemy tanks, and then I mean ANY tank?

Would WG truly be smoking something as crazy as this?!

Edited by WingedArchon, 13 October 2021 - 09:16 PM.

tajj7 #18 Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35291 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
No more high alpha crap is needed in the game. The 183s should have been removed a long time ago and there is no way these tanks can be anything but broken/ 

Gremlin182 #19 Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 75818 battles

According to various sources online the Sturmtiger came with 2 different shells neither intended for an anti tank role.

HE for use against infantry and a shaped charge for concrete fortifications.

It also took about 10 minutes to load.

Thats just not practical for the game.

If they added a sturmtiger to the game the shaped charge would presumably act like HESH.

My reasoning for treating it as artillery was for it to have area effect HE like SPGs do.

FizzlePopBerryTwist #20 Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34216 battles
  • [FIM] FIM
The best 'F thing in Company of Heroes 2 ♥

Edited by FizzlePopBerryTwist, 13 October 2021 - 10:44 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users