Things that really annoy me about battlepass.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

General_Jack_D_Ripper #1 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Disclaimer

Sadly humans need disclaimer, because they will do everything in their power to missunderstand players and derail any possible discussion

Free stuff are nice and battle pass offers a lot of free stuff. Therefore I do not have a problem with Battlepass in general. It is a good thing. Nonetheless, there are topics which greatly annoy me.

1. WG Dictates which tanks should be played

Now, this really annoys me, cause I feel like I am missing out on progress, if I play the game the way I want to. But after all, I learned, that this is the best solution for me.

Play the trees how I wish to and ignoring BP altogether. But still, my subconscious does not agree. ;) The message "point limit reached" does not help (and is there to do exactly that, in my eyes).

1.1 Tier Requirements

So this dictates what tanks I can play to archive points besides the daily bonuses. Below Tier 5 there is nothing to be gained. This is one of the reasons that depopulated the low tiers. I understand that the "imminent danger" of seal clubbing. Instead of having dangerous seal clubbers in low tiers, there is nobody.

So new players can enjoy long cues, bots and half full battles. This is way better advertisement for the game.

I enjoy driving lower tiers, since here most amount of historic tanks can be found. One quarter of my battles are below Tier 6, which are half the tiers.

1.2 Points Limit

The pointlimit is easily reached before having finished a tank. Recently I started with the old German TD-Line. went of in my JagdpanzerIV. Not a single battle I had to drive in a stock tank, since all the modules (besides tracks and these I always use free XP) were already researched. Still 5k XP from unlocking Jagdpanther point limit was reached.

2 It is Mighty expensive

This is a minor problem for me, since everybody is free to decide.

2.1 High cost of living

Premium time for one year costs 120€ without a discount. If you pay 360 package that is usually 80€. But this one is usually discounted around xmas as well

Premium time is arguably the best investment into the game, since it enables players to make a profit in every tier, enhance the effectiveness of premium tanks greatly and enhances progress dramatically. If players are willing to invest money into the game, I would always recommend premium. (there are other perks, too. Nice, but in my eyes minor)

Battlepass costs 10€ per pass, 3 passes per season, four seasons this year. Another 120€

Or if u buy it reduced 23€ per season = 92€ per year.

On top of it is always possible to waste money on levels. This gets mighty expensive, but only rich(money wise) or not so rich(mentally) people would do such a thing.

All this for minor rewards and

2.2 Paywall for the best goodies

Do not get me wrong. I completely agree, that crewbooks, blueprints, credits, premium time etc, which only shortens grinds can and should be a payers reward. I am talking about bounty equipment. This is equipment which is outright better than regular equipment(once upgraded) and WG put them (mostly) behind a paywall. This is literally P2W*. Obviously to enhance sells.

*no, pls, I do not wish to have a discussion, if P2W means players are guaranteed a victory if they pay, that is just stupid

tl/dr: Battlepass is a nice thing, it adds free stuff and a lot of focus to the game. I really dislike that it somewhat dictates what tanks should be played (for best effect) and the actual high cost. P2W equipment is also a topic, but overall not in the spotlight.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 25 November 2021 - 10:19 AM.

StronkiTonki #2 Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:59 AM

Colonel

• Clan Commander
  • 42256 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

Well stated.

Not really sure if I could add anything to it really.

Just generally speaking I am a bit baffled how battle passes have become to popular in videogames, since you basically have to pay and grind for rewards, which makes no sense to me.

So far though, I've never had to buy any additional premium days, so for me, it's I guess worth it, since I don't need to buy any more prem, and I would play the required amount of time in the game regardless of a battle pass being in the game or not. So for me personally it doesn't add any grind. But that's not the case for everyone sadly.

My biggest issue is definitely that we're not able to get any battle pass progress on lower tiers.

I personally enjoy getting marks of excellence, but am locked out of tier 5 whenever I am still working on the battle pass.

And on top of all that, it would just be nice to play below tier 5 as well while getting battle pass progress.

Gremlin182 #3 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76901 battles

Some good points Gen Ripper "nice movie ref btw"

The changes made to Battlepass are great in that I can play any tier and make progress.

Yes I know its tier 6 and above but the bonus points 10-15-20-25 mean I can nearly get 2 stages done with a lower tier if I wish to.

Because I do have a premium account I also get another 50 points each week

Mostly I play tier 6 because getting to 100 battles is fairly fast and gets me another 15 points, guess I am lucky to have a lot of tier 6 tanks.

Last year with no daily mission bonuses I reached the points limit on a lot of tanks.

This year it was on maybe 8 of them.

2-3 stages a day plus an extra one each week so 20+ stages per week finishes BP well before the end date.

Of course mostly this is because I am a retired gentleman of leasure.

edit

Might be interesting to allow points for lower tiers, if I remember its 100 fir tier 6, then is it 250 and 500 for the next two tiers.

Based on that sort of progression what would you put on say tier 5 tanks 40-50 points maybe with a smaller bonus for reaching max points.

Edited by Gremlin182, 25 November 2021 - 10:49 AM.

General_Jack_D_Ripper #4 Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostGremlin182, on 25 November 2021 - 10:43 AM, said:

I am a retired gentleman of leasure.

That is wonderfulyl formulated.

Yes, I know progression is quite fast anyway. Is just a minor annoyance which is repeated every other day. So it somehow feels big.

I once played all my Tier VI for fast battlepass progression. That was the point after which I decided to try and ignore BP altogether. ;)

PS: I used to Platoon with General_Buck_Turgidson.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 25 November 2021 - 10:55 AM.

AmphetamineLogic #5 Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:14 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 14868 battles

Most days I can get 70 BP points playing my tier 3-5 tanks. 

The points per tank does force me to play my tier 8-X ones more than I'd normally do, so it's both a curse and a blessing. A curse because I'm just not very good in them. A blessing because it makes me play them more than I would normally and I might learn something. 

I never buy the enhanced pass until I get to +32 stages point in a chapter. That's when the monetary value of the items I actually value becomes the same as buying them from the store. I've not directly bought premium time since the beginning of March and thanks to Well Deserved Reward, I've still got enough left to take me into Holiday Ops, but I do prioritise it as a reward when it's in twitch drops, special events, etc, so it's not all down to BP rewards.

Last year I didn't bother with BP at all as the point earnings from the daily missions was a lot lower and I only had one tier 6 tank then which I'd maxed out for 100 points in the first month. I don't think I even finished the first chapter.

Wintermute_1 #6 Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:17 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 62302 battles

I never buy improved battle pass but I do accept it as a reasonable way for WG to monetise the game. The fact that players give WG money for the improved pass really doesn't effect me, rather that than hoards of OP premiums or Crew 2.0 which nerfs my crews unless I give them gold.

The point cap on some vehicles at tiers 6 & 7 can feel a bit low sometimes though.

Dru_UK #7 Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14422 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

I've only done the last 2 seasons of Battle pass due to having been away from the game for 3 years or so.

Any how - I buy the extended pass at the end and get a load of nice goodies.

Its frustrating that you have to play T6 plus - make it T4 plus

What I'd like to see if that you chose the 3d tanks you are getting/grinding - so not everyone are playing the same ones - get some variety in there - the same goes for the commanders - it bugs me that I have all these commanders that are not in tanks of their own nationality - just seems weird - just draw up 10 or so new faces and names for each nationality and let us pick when they get assigned to a vehicle.

UserZer00 #8 Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18206 battles
It's true that Battle Pass definitely isn't grind friendly.

I think it would be great if the BP points were only deducted for elite tech tree tanks or non elite if the next tier tank has been unlocked.  This would allow people to not have to choose between grinding a tank or grinding BP.

I also think that the conversion of tokens to bonds should be higher.

PowJay #9 Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:53 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49295 battles

I agree with your points to some extent. The fact that lower tiers can, and may, have a reduced population seems valid but I have been playing my lower tiers (only IV and V) on my alt account and I have rarely had a (very) prolonged wait or any clear differences in tier spread. It may have an effect in quieter times but I haven't noticed it.

The points limit is not all bad. I actually enjoy the encouragement to play some vehicles that don't often get let out. Once my favourites have been maxed out then I play some tanks that haven't seen the light of day for a while. If they are maxed out before a grind is over, then I haven't had opportunity to see that as I am not grinding at all. 

Buying the improved pass? Not a chance. I am in the fortunate position of getting almost no clear benefit from the second prize track. I have detailed this elsewhere. If I wanted to spend cash on the game at the moment, there are many ways that would give me much better value for money.

The ONLY thing that has annoyed me is my own inability to ignore Battle Pass. I have played as often as I can, as much as I can, to complete the BP event. Most days this has meant playing to complete at least the first three Daily Missions, which can take up to fifteen battles or so, before I consider whether or not to play the Bonus Mission. There is NO denying that I am burnt out and desperately need a break before the Festivities. Thankfully I finished BP the other day and ended on 51 on the alt account which is good enough for me (again, as detailed elsewhere) because I got a free Style for my F2P account. 

Blubba #10 Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 72170 battles

At Christmas, I usually spoil myself and buy a bumper collection of boxes of one type or another. As a result, I get a large dump of premium time onto my account along with a goodly amount of gold and a few premium tanks. As you've noted, any premium time shortfall can usually be topped by the 12th day for a discount should I need to but I have found that over a year, with all the events and giveaways, I don't really need to.

The premium time and tanks enable me to maintain a steady bank balance of silver which, coupled with the gold enabled me to pay for a few tanks in the last Black Market and also most of the passes on Battlepass.

This year, I have spent a little on gold since then simply to get the last pass on BP and some extra for crew training with the current discount. 

I understand that some may think it's expensive but for me, it's actually very reasonable.

The above is not advice, it's just how I do it and it won't work for everyone.

Tier 4/5 should get a look in too but as for tank point limits, I think there is a need but so fierce at tier 6?

Tier 6 is a sweet spot in my view for serviceable tanks. I don't think 100 points is anything like enough but then again, is 400 points too much for some higher tiers?

I like the points cap but is tier the right measure?

How about including tanks performance levels?

For example, if 350 points is max and 50 points min, in the extremes, a 279 could earn you 50 points max where as a Rhm.Pzw could earn you 350 and all the other tanks would fall somewhere in between.

Finished your point allotment?

You get a bonus. For the Obj, you get 5pts but for the Rhm, you get 35.

Some kind of sliding scale linked to both tier and performance. 

I apologise now for rambling.

Gremlin182 #11 Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 76901 battles

It would be a good thing to give as many players as possible access to battlepass.

Not everyone has got much past tier 6 and some of those maybe have just one or two tier 6s.

Just let everyone play the tanks they have you can set a limit on number of games and give a bonus if you like but it seems pointless.

Maybe make it so their max tier tank/s never stop earning points.

So if I only have tier 5 and below tier 5s earn bp points right through the event.

That way not matter what tier you reached you can alsways make some progress.

General_Jack_D_Ripper #12 Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11200 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostPowJay, on 25 November 2021 - 01:53 PM, said:

I agree with your points to some extent. The fact that lower tiers can, and may, have a reduced population seems valid but I have been playing my lower tiers (only IV and V) on my alt account and I have rarely had a (very) prolonged wait or any clear differences in tier spread. It may have an effect in quieter times but I haven't noticed it.

Well maybe it is just me. During the week I can usually not start playing before 22:00.

Slyspy #13 Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 16103 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Play the game, get free stuff. But, like any other marathon, you don't have to strive for it let alone pay for it. You can just play. 

Orkbert #14 Posted 27 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 33203 battles
  • [ASSO] ASSO

View PostGeneral_Jack_D_Ripper, on 25 November 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

1. WG Dictates which tanks should be played

Now, this really annoys me, cause I feel like I am missing out on progress, if I play the game the way I want to. But after all, I learned, that this is the best solution for me.

Play the trees how I wish to and ignoring BP altogether. But still, my subconscious does not agree. ;) The message "point limit reached" does not help (and is there to do exactly that, in my eyes).

1.1 Tier Requirements

So this dictates what tanks I can play to archive points besides the daily bonuses. Below Tier 5 there is nothing to be gained. This is one of the reasons that depopulated the low tiers. I understand that the "imminent danger" of seal clubbing. Instead of having dangerous seal clubbers in low tiers, there is nobody.

So new players can enjoy long cues, bots and half full battles. This is way better advertisement for the game.

I enjoy driving lower tiers, since here most amount of historic tanks can be found. One quarter of my battles are below Tier 6, which are half the tiers.

Mind you, the daily missions and therefore the BP points gained from them can be done with any tier, so you can get BP points with tierV and lower. (especially missions where you just have to accumulate stuff are predestined to get some low tiers to do their share)

Admittedly a daily mission like "get 650 base XP in a single game" is rather difficult at lower tiers but you could always re-roll a mission if you feel it is unfeasible with a tierIII (or similar) to achieve.

Kurat666 #15 Posted Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35352 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

The only thing I find annoying is that reward crewmembers are nation locked - I have all of them waiting around because I cannot use them where I need them. 

Edited by Kurat666, Yesterday, 11:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users