AMX 13 90 Matchmaking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

TheIcelandicOne #1 Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 15626 battles
  • [BIRDS] BIRDS
I've been playing this tank for a while now and i must say, its a great tank, its stats are good, it has an excellent gun, excellent mobility and since its a light tank it has a camo bonus, a great flanker and a sniper. The thing about it though, the matchmaker thinks its a tier 8 tank while its tier 7 and it gets thrown into matches where it can barely damage anything unless you flank and since it does not have much survivability everyone will usually focus on you since you are an easy kill instead of the 2 E-100's and 3 IS-4's in front of you. Im not saying its a bad tank, its an excellent tank but it gets thrown into matches where its stats are almost useless, if your going to have it as a tier 8 tank atleast give it a tier 8 gun.

VVere #2 Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10922 battles
1) There is a thread about that.
2) Are you fucking kidding me? I've seen more than one AMX 13 90 rape an E-75 who got caught in the open for more than 50% of his health. Do you want to kill Tier9 heavy tanks in one salvo? <_<

Valerius #3 Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 29249 battles
  • [SD_DK] SD_DK
all light tanks suffer from that sir.

A light tank is supposed to scout out the enemy in advance of the main lines and if possible break through and engage the enemy arty.

If you look at the chaffee, vk2801 and T-50-2 they are actually worse off then the 13 90 since they get placed in the exact same matches yet are 2 tiers lower...
Praise yourself, the 13 90 is a great vehicle with massive firepower for it's tier and size!

TheIcelandicOne #4 Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 15626 battles
  • [BIRDS] BIRDS
The thing is, the AMX 13 90's main role isn't scouting, sure its a light tank and has a great scouting ability but because of its good gun it isn't always supposed to scout when it can do something else more useful, on the other hand the leopard, t-50, t-50-2 etc are all dedicated scouts and are meant for scouting while the AMX 13 90 is more of a fast TD.

CrazyCactusK #5 Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 11465 battles
  • [HH3B] HH3B
Your AMX can penetrate ANY tank in the game. Even the Maus. From Behind. Lower plate.

TheIcelandicOne #6 Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 15626 battles
  • [BIRDS] BIRDS

View Postsindroms, on 20 January 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

Your AMX can penetrate ANY tank in the game. Even the Maus. From Behind. Lower plate.
I know but you don't always get a chance like that, even if you do manage to flank the maus chances are that there are numerous other enemy vehicles behind the maus all focusing on you.

Denolven #7 Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10155 battles

View PostTheIcelandicOne, on 20 January 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

The thing is, the AMX 13 90's main role isn't scouting
The role of a tank depends on different factors, not only the tank itself, but also the position in the list, team composition, terrain and personal skill. Being a light tank, you get placed at the bottom for good reason: it is not your firepower that is your most valuable contribution to the team. If you want firepower, play TD or heavy tank. Sure, firepower is a nice bonus, if you have it, and it adds some flexibility, because you are not limited to watching. So why do you insist on being a damage dealer, but still play a light tank?
I tell you why: you want to have every advantage you can get. Which is a legitimate thing. BUT you won't get that. The game is designed to have different tank types, which have certain strengths and weaknesses. The higher tier light tanks are matched up to tier 10, because they would break the balance if they weren't.
You noticed already that they have good stats. All T5+ lights easily own other tanks of their tier, because they are designed to be not-useless in high tier battles. I don't have the AMX 13 90 yet, but I can imagine that playstyle is similar to the VK 2801 - a fast robust scout with the option to support in battle. Again, if you like sniping, TDs might be a better choice. Limiting yourself to dealing damage when you are actually one of the best scouts available hurts your team.

Sometimes I play together with a friend. I love scouting and he loves artillery, so we complement each other. If he tells me "I need eyes at H8", I scout there. If he says "can you go to that Jagdtiger and block it?", I go block that TD, and if he tells me to finish off that 5% IS-4 because he doesn't want to waste a whole shot (and 30 seconds reload), I can do that as well.
My advice: play it as a scout with the option to support. If you really like the DD aspect, play TDs from time to time. I do that, and it works well  :)

deamy #8 Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles

View PostTheIcelandicOne, on 20 January 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

The thing is, the AMX 13 90's main role isn't scouting, sure its a light tank and has a great scouting ability but because of its good gun it isn't always supposed to scout when it can do something else more useful, on the other hand the leopard, t-50, t-50-2 etc are all dedicated scouts and are meant for scouting while the AMX 13 90 is more of a fast TD.

It's a scout with the abilities of a T9 medium. Play it like one.

In a 1v1 you will take down any damaged T10 tank.

Fedajkin1989 #9 Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20892 battles
First of all unless you have a really good opportunity to get to their arty never ever suicide scout. Get camo net and crew skill, and at the beginning of the match just find a nice bush and passive scout the enemy (DO NOT fire, just light up targets for the rest of your team, you will get xp for that as well), then when some of the enemies are gone the real fun begins, flank and hunt down damaged, lone enemy vehicles, get behind their lines and find campers/arty etc. As was said before at point blank range you can penetrate pretty much anything and if they are damaged, which they should be by the time you get in the fight, you can kill anything with one clip. Alternately on some maps you can find nice spots to get to and pummel enemy heavies sides as they try to engage your sides heavies.

Arallaw #10 Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28662 battles

View PostTheIcelandicOne, on 20 January 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

I know but you don't always get a chance like that, even if you do manage to flank the maus chances are that there are numerous other enemy vehicles behind the maus all focusing on you.

I think it isn't just time for you to handle amx 13 90 yet. Go practice with few hundred battles with Leopard or T-50 and after that you might get the idea of the true potential of amx 13 90.

TheIcelandicOne #11 Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 15626 battles
  • [BIRDS] BIRDS

View PostArallaw, on 22 January 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

I think it isn't just time for you to handle amx 13 90 yet. Go practice with few hundred battles with Leopard or T-50 and after that you might get the idea of the true potential of amx 13 90.
I actually have driven a leopard and a number of other light tanks, the tank is a completely other tank for me now, it was painful at first but now its one of my favorite tanks and i'm never going to sell it.

Denolven #12 Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10155 battles

View PostTheIcelandicOne, on 24 January 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I actually have driven a leopard and a number of other light tanks, the tank is a completely other tank for me now, it was painful at first but now its one of my favorite tanks and i'm never going to sell it.
Glad to hear that. Welcome to the world of light tanks :)

Dibbl3r #13 Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41627 battles

View PostFedajkin1989, on 21 January 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

First of all unless you have a really good opportunity to get to their arty never ever suicide scout. Get camo net and crew skill, and at the beginning of the match just find a nice bush and passive scout the enemy (DO NOT fire, just light up targets for the rest of your team, you will get xp for that as well), then when some of the enemies are gone the real fun begins, flank and hunt down damaged, lone enemy vehicles, get behind their lines and find campers/arty etc. As was said before at point blank range you can penetrate pretty much anything and if they are damaged, which they should be by the time you get in the fight, you can kill anything with one clip. Alternately on some maps you can find nice spots to get to and pummel enemy heavies sides as they try to engage your sides heavies.

Amen to that  :Smile_honoring:

I have all of T5 top-of-the-line light tanks and I think I am used to light tank play style and IMHO both AMX 13 are amazing! 90 is much better of course but you will have to fight only with high tiers. Using Vents, Binocs and Camo (do not have 100% camo crew skill yet, but as I reach 100% I will replace Camo with Optics or Toolbox) and it's pure fun to play it, despite the loooong reload the whole magazine.

AMX 13 75's top gun has average of 135 dmg. If you miss 1 shot or use 1st shot to destroy the tracks, you still have 5 x 135 = 675 which is just enough to kill any light/mid up to tier 6, and heavy up to tier 5 in one salvo!
AMX 13 90's top gun doing 240 dmg on average is even better: 5 x 240 = 1200!!! I remember how I killed T29 or T-44 from full health in 15 secs and almost roflmao when they called me cheater afterwards  :Smile_great:

The only tanks providing such a fun factor like AMX 13s are Chaffee and T-50-2

LimaBravo #14 Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31433 battles
  • [SCOT] SCOT
OMG AMX 13 90 are beinf team stacked & their wolfpacks are unbeateable worse than Type 59's tbh.

:Smile-hiding:

Radical626 #15 Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 11385 battles
  • [C_R_D] C_R_D

View PostTheIcelandicOne, on 20 January 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I've been playing this tank for a while now and i must say, its a great tank, its stats are good, it has an excellent gun, excellent mobility and since its a light tank it has a camo bonus, a great flanker and a sniper. The thing about it though, the matchmaker thinks its a tier 8 tank while its tier 7 and it gets thrown into matches where it can barely damage anything unless you flank and since it does not have much survivability everyone will usually focus on you since you are an easy kill instead of the 2 E-100's and 3 IS-4's in front of you. Im not saying its a bad tank, its an excellent tank but it gets thrown into matches where its stats are almost useless, if your going to have it as a tier 8 tank atleast give it a tier 8 gun.

uh, its a medium support tank (yes I know WG call it a light tank but if you want a scout get a t50-2 this thing is better as a support medium), the whole point is that you flank with it since it has the speed to do so. Its gun also throws out 240dmg every 2? seconds meaning at worst your gonna do 3/6 shots which is 600-800 dmg in the time it takes a tank to fire one round, which he wont get to do if he misses or is circled.

one on one the amx90 has the speed, gun and hp to beat tier 7 and below easily, tier 8's and 9's in the right situations and can help with tier 10's. Why would you want the amx90 becoming the new t59 if you lowered its MM?

If you are playing this tank beside 2 e100's and 3 is4's then you are also playing it wrong! The whole point is the enemy engages then you get onto the side fire off 2/3 shots then retreat before the enemy can turn or reload. And also find enemies isolated in the open and circle them whilst finishing them off. you don't sit beside the maus whilst engaging an enemy, cuz they wil ofc shoot you!

BrianDuffy #16 Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7674 battles
I do wish people would get away from the "light = scout" thing. Some light tanks make excellent scouts with high camo value and decent view range, lighting up opponents for the rest of the team to hit . Other light tanks - T-50-2 in high tier, Leopard or T-50 in low tier - make excellent rushers due to a combination of speed and durability. Then there are the hybrids, I would put the Chaffee and AMX13 75 & 90 in that category; they are not durable or fast enough to rush so they are spotters. However, that negates one of their great strengths, firepower. Their use is situational and that is what it takes to drive one well, situational awareness:

• [Where are you in your team defines the role you should fill
  • What is the make up of the other team - they have a number of lights, should you hang back and counter them?
  • Which map are you one - is there a good spotting point or a safe(ish) route for a small tank to sneak through

Yes, IRL, light tanks or armoured cars would fill the roll of reconnaissance but they were then expected to retire, feed back the intel and NOT take part in the fight! In WoT this is not an option so the whole "scouting" debate is a bit of a misnomer.

I think the best way to use the French lights is to keep an eye on the map, support where you can and exploit any weakness in the enemy line rather than perform the role of pure scout.

I am REALLY looking forward to the AMX13 90 (loving the 75 at the moment) and may even pay for premium to run it  ;)

keep tanking
:Smile_honoring:

DeathByDribbling #17 Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28756 battles

View PostPere_Ubu_Roi, on 01 February 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

However, that negates one of their great strengths, firepower. Their use is situational and that is what it takes to drive one well,

You can use both.  Yesterday I rushed up to the middle on fishermans bay and got there just as gun loaded, at pretty well max view range spotted half the enemy team including their tier 7 arty on the move, 3 shots later dead arty.  Then it was off in the other direction as fast as my little tracks could carry me.  Killing best enemy arty before it even gets to fire a shot on arty friendly map = win.  

Tank is full of great moments like that, but you have to play it a bit dangerously to get them - 1 shot and it could be dead engine, fire, etc which normally means dead tank.  Do I go for that tier 9 TD - I'll probably take a hit?  It's a role of the dice - if the hit knocks out engine or sets me alight then I am probably dead, if it doesn't then TD is mine.  I probably role the dice a bit too often, but then I play the game for fun, and it's always fun when you get behind that obj 704 and unload 6 shells up its backside :)

Cobra6 #18 Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16458 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Lets put it like this:

The matchmaking for the AMX75 is good
The matchmaking for the AMX90 is unfavourable

It feels that compared to the AMX75 the AMX90 gets dropped into matches where it's always the bottom tank more or less, or lower middle where the AMX75 usually is at the top range for me. Due to the incredibly slow reload of the 90mm this really put me off. I love the AMX75, I think the AMX90 is average.

Cobra 6

Vahal #19 Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16075 battles
  • [BIMA] BIMA
as a light AMX, this tank forgive NOT a single mistake. It CAN scout and most of the time with good results, but it's not is main job. It's a situationnal tank. You have to wait opportunities:
*a real oppened way to ennemy arty (watch out, sometime a free road, isnt and the death from the bush is really deadly for this tin can)
*a lone damaged heavy tank ou badly damaged med in a situation where you can move or surprise it and fire some shell before it reacts.
*a lone TD. The "easiest" job. The only problem is to NOT engage them from front cause in this case it's flip a coin, face, you are shot and crippled (engine/track mainly) tail, you only loose 50/80% of your hp pool making the end of the battlereally uncertain for you.

For those who say "omagad you deal 1440 damages in 15s! nerf nerf!" First, you have to hit (miss, ghostshells aaaaaah my friend). then you have to match the penetration roll, then you have to not shoot spaced armor, then you have to not have a beautiful crit with 0% damage.

I remember a duel with another AMX 13/90. it was at 300hp, I was at 160. I had initiative and shot first. track destroyed, no damage. "bah, no problem, it's a sitting duck now" I though, next shot... ghostshell who passed trough the turret, at this point i was "fuuuuuuuuuu!" and really pissed. 3rd shot surely troubled by the previous one was a bounce. my target finally fired... boom! dead.

Another duel against an IS4. half of my EIGHTEEN shells finished soaked by tracks with no other effect than pissed me of. I had some bounces and downed it to 300ich dmg.

The accuracy on the move isnt that good so on the 6 shells depending the target, you will have 2 or 3 failures. So it's not 1440 each time you see a target. damn I even have a bounce on T95 ass. it was static (tracked by our arty)I was static too and I kept firing on the SAME point, and on the 5th shot, "bounce"  :blink:

The less sensitives to AMX tanks are the soviets with their better overall armor. German just have good front armor but are butter on side and rear, US it's even worse on 90% with less armor on front hull but they are more agile so it's more dangerous, and french tanks are deadmeat if they are surprised (especially when reloading who is of course true for your dear own AMX)

azakow #20 Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79243 battles

View PostCobra6, on 06 February 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Lets put it like this:

The matchmaking for the AMX75 is good
The matchmaking for the AMX90 is unfavourable

It feels that compared to the AMX75 the AMX90 gets dropped into matches where it's always the bottom tank more or less, or lower middle where the AMX75 usually is at the top range for me. Due to the incredibly slow reload of the 90mm this really put me off. I love the AMX75, I think the AMX90 is average.

Cobra 6
My battle experience is AMX 13 90 only. IMO the scenario you describe, perfect for this tank.

What about your metrics for the successfull AMX 13 commander?
Appling this turns "unfavourable" into "advantageous", because vultures seldom attack healthy animals, but may kill the wounded or sick.

In order get to such a situation in battle ASAP, it is necessary to think about "4) This tank is not a scout.", since you can't apart the LT/MT hybrid nature of this tank.
Maybe on the AMX 13 75, but not on the AMX 13 90.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users