AMX 40 goodbyes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
117 replies to this topic

MajGenMus #21 Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7131 battles
  • [BRITZ] BRITZ
I must admit to loathing my AMX 40... I thought the grind through the Lee was a pain... This is like pleasuring one's self with a barbed wire glove - its doing what should be fun, but it hurts to do it!   :blink:

Grimwing #22 Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19005 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN
I seriously find it fun to play.

Posted Image

Benden #23 Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14089 battles

View PostGrimwing, on 22 January 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

I seriously find it fun to play.

We all had our good games, if MM is good, if you're lucky with your teammates playing well or if you just find yourself in good place at right time : then you can have a good match with good result.
But I DARE you to get just even TWO good matches in a row with an amx40 in FFA, this tank sucking so much.
Actually, amx40 put against other tiers 4 or lower can stand its ground with its armour vs low tiers usual guns. It's just slow as sh*t and a marder 2 (one tiers lower) in ambush can ruin your day anytime for instance.

Grimwing #24 Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19005 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN

View PostBenden, on 23 January 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

We all had our good games, if MM is good, if you're lucky with your teammates playing well or if you just find yourself in good place at right time : then you can have a good match with good result.
But I DARE you to get just even TWO good matches in a row with an amx40 in FFA, this tank sucking so much.
Actually, amx40 put against other tiers 4 or lower can stand its ground with its armour vs low tiers usual guns. It's just slow as sh*t and a marder 2 (one tiers lower) in ambush can ruin your day anytime for instance.

LOL. You must be doing something terribly wrong. Even if you expose yourself in the middle of the map with a "KICK ME" sign, 90% of those shells will bounce. Marder definitely included, I eat them for breakfast. Also keep in mind the 60-70 armor on tier 4. I seriously think it's physically impossible to suck with this tank, what the hell are you people doing? This is the most defensive tier 4 tank in the game.

Spawnster #25 Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8450 battles
yeah feel for you guys still grinding the amx 40. tank sucks until you get the 75mm. armor is good. bounces a lot. but speed is just horrible for a light tanks. what was the french thinking? :Smile_harp:

anyways, i kinda enjoyed this little tub of a tank at the final stage of getting the amx12t. earned average 300-500xp per battle when played well. but i will not miss it.

Grimwing #26 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19005 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN

View PostSpawnster, on 23 January 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

yeah feel for you guys still grinding the amx 40. tank sucks until you get the 75mm. armor is good. bounces a lot. but speed is just horrible for a light tanks. what was the french thinking? :Smile_harp:

anyways, i kinda enjoyed this little tub of a tank at the final stage of getting the amx12t. earned average 300-500xp per battle when played well. but i will not miss it.

You must not approach/play it as a light tank. More like a slow moving fortress. It actually is a heavy tank in the light tree.  <_<

serpenta #27 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14641 battles
  • [HB] HB

View PostCroustibatFR, on 22 January 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I like that tank. It really is a heavy . Bounce machine from the front, can go almost as fast backward than forward (accelerates faster backward than forward ... ) . The 75mm is good. It is also very small, so it is harder to hit and easier to hide.

I added a spall liner too. That thing can take a pretty good beating and be quite decent. It has trouble dealing big damages, but you cant really hit it from the front.

See for yourself :

29 hits received, and 22% HP left. Most HP removed was from the arty before i killed it, and believe me, killing an arty on this map with a tank that can barely hit 18km/h means it has time to shoot at you quite a lot.

Well in max tier 4 groups I had similar results, but I've got such gruops 3-4 times, the rest was 4 tier minimum and 6-7 max. 75mm gun is

View PostVerus, on 22 January 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

AMX 12t is worse. You get matched with t5-9 and the gun can´t be elevated much at all.

With maxed AMX 40 I have 180 avg xp, with stock AMX 12t I had 280, same gun just faster tank that can flank, no armor at all but extremely fast. With second gun (100mm pen) I was able to kill T29 easily. This tank is slightly worse than T-50-2 in terms of manouvering, but have similar survivability and DPM but thanks to loading system AMX 12t can use hit & run tactic - you go close to some lonely gazelle, fire your load and hopefully kill it, and then get back to the trees :D

View PostGrimwing, on 23 January 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

LOL. You must be doing something terribly wrong. Even if you expose yourself in the middle of the map with a "KICK ME" sign, 90% of those shells will bounce. Marder definitely included, I eat them for breakfast. Also keep in mind the 60-70 armor on tier 4. I seriously think it's physically impossible to suck with this tank, what the hell are you people doing? This is the most defensive tier 4 tank in the game.

Yeah, but Marder II has 118 penetration and it's focus circle is just a small dot. Plus T-34's best gun has 112 penetration and I haven't meet T-34 with it that couldn't rip me apart (shot every 2,5 secs). I once bounced Marder shot, I remember it well cause it was the only such event, he ripped me with his next 3 shots from 300 m, while I couldn't even hit him (focus 0,4).

Artificialx #28 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6888 battles

LOL. You must be doing something terribly wrong. Even if you expose yourself in the middle of the map with a "KICK ME" sign, 90% of those shells will bounce.

Then your enemies are doing it wrong, it is not a hard tank to kill unless you are dumb enough to go face on with it (even then, terrible weak-spot below the turret). Your 90% only counts for lower tiers. At best. Tier 5 upwards you get raped. PzIV, rape, KV, rape, even the T1 heavy, rape, and I haven't even mentioned the fact you get put in matches with F-ing Tigers. You seem to be talking about best case scenario, but "best case" is less than 50% of the matches MM gives you. Respectfully, you are talking nonsense. This tank is only close to OK when it is in the top quarter in the ranking and on a relatively small map.

Marder definitely included, I eat them for breakfast. Also keep in mind the 60-70 armor on tier 4. I seriously think it's physically impossible to suck with this tank, what the hell are you people doing? This is the most defensive tier 4 tank in the game.

And, I've laughed while Hetzers bounced off me while I chewed slowly through their lower plate. But then you meet the Hetzer who knows where to shoot and bye bye in one shot. Don't presume that your success is because of your actions only and not their failings.

Artificialx #29 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6888 battles
And to add my 2p.

Thank science I'm out of that monstrosity now. 77 painful battles. I have never used cruise control so much as when using this tank. And it accelerates faster backwards? wtf? That a dig at the French?? Lol.

I've tolerated a lot of tanks people moan about, the A-20, the M3 Lee (which I actually quite enjoyed), the T1 heavy, but my science this one takes the biscuit.

This thing is slower than a KV (I know I got outrun by several), with the firepower of a trapped fart, and an accuracy that makes me wonder if Michael J Fox is at the gun. And science at the higher tiers your crew loves dying.

A couple of matches I shelled out for the higher octane gas. It actually made it feel almost playable, but it's not worth 5k every match.

MajGenMus #30 Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7131 battles
  • [BRITZ] BRITZ

...Even if you expose yourself in the middle of the map with a "KICK ME" sign, 90% of those shells will bounce...  I seriously think it's physically impossible to suck with this tank, what the hell are you people doing? This is the most defensive tier 4 tank in the game.

Hmm your stats say you have a just over 50% win rate with your wee lil AMX 40 (played 42, won 23), so not "90% winable" then?

Yes better than mine with the abomination, (23 played, won 10), but then I am crap at this - With this tank I have a hit ratio of 54%, an average XP of 161 per match, but a max of 533, so yes, once in a while, when the MM gods love you, you get a stellar game, but most of the time... you die fast or you live pinging away with a small gun.  I was once the last tank on Cliff, plugging away at an American heavy (a paper hull'd tank - I know I have one!), with him just laughing at me, then boom - one shotted when he got bored

Grimwing #31 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19005 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN

View PostMajGenMus, on 23 January 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hmm your stats say you have a just over 50% win rate with your wee lil AMX 40 (played 42, won 23), so not "90% winable" then?

Yes better than mine with the abomination, (23 played, won 10), but then I am crap at this - With this tank I have a hit ratio of 54%, an average XP of 161 per match, but a max of 533, so yes, once in a while, when the MM gods love you, you get a stellar game, but most of the time... you die fast or you live pinging away with a small gun.  I was once the last tank on Cliff, plugging away at an American heavy (a paper hull'd tank - I know I have one!), with him just laughing at me, then boom - one shotted when he got bored

You should be aware of the fact that this is a team game, so winning or losing a match depends on 15 people per team, not only one.

Anyway, I still think it's one of the best tier 4 tanks and just can't understand all the whining around it. It's obvious you can't win all the matches, but if you play this tank right, it's not a hard task to get good XP with it. At least I think it's really not harder than any other tier 4 tank out there. Of course a KV with derp gun for example rips you apart, but who said you should focus on a KV? There are plenty of invading light and medium tanks, this tank is exceptionally good in disabling and killing scouts. Don't try to race to the enemy base with it, it was a mistake to put this tank into the "light tank" tree, people just don't get it. It's not a "light tank" obviously.

burocracy #32 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38491 battles
I just quit the AMX 40 for the AMX 12 t. Sadly, I miss all the rushing and the excitement. " will I reach the other side of the map in 15 minutes or the game will finish before I reach the enemy?".....

MajGenMus #33 Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7131 battles
  • [BRITZ] BRITZ
I know, I know... sorry for waggling stats - I must be having a grumpy day.   :Smile-hiding:
I know it's a team game...  :P
Good luck with the Tank, it must fit you better than it does me.  I will be happy to progress, when I get there  :Smile-playing:

Artificialx #34 Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6888 battles

View PostGrimwing, on 23 January 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Of course a KV with derp gun for example rips you apart, but who said you should focus on a KV?

I got one shot several times with a 107mm.

And yea, I go out of my way to avoid KVs when they are on the opposite team. And you know what, that's the only tank where that happens, so that should say something. Any other tank I wouldn't be mortified by the sight of a KV, mainly because I could either escape, flank or take the damage. In this tank I can do neither.

Rallief #35 Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4183 battles
I'm so jealous. :) Is there a way I can delete it without gaining money? Because it doesn't feel fair recieving money for selling a piece of sh.

burocracy #36 Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38491 battles

View PostGrimwing, on 23 January 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

You should be aware of the fact that this is a team game, so winning or losing a match depends on 15 people per team, not only one.

Anyway, I still think it's one of the best tier 4 tanks and just can't understand all the whining around it. It's obvious you can't win all the matches, but if you play this tank right, it's not a hard task to get good XP with it. At least I think it's really not harder than any other tier 4 tank out there. Of course a KV with derp gun for example rips you apart, but who said you should focus on a KV? There are plenty of invading light and medium tanks, this tank is exceptionally good in disabling and killing scouts. Don't try to race to the enemy base with it, it was a mistake to put this tank into the "light tank" tree, people just don't get it. It's not a "light tank" obviously.

It's "light" as in "Burns like hell when it meets comparable level tanks". Amazon got to name its contraption a "kindle" because it stayed one whisker in front of the WOT developers, otherwise the AMX 40 would have copyrighted the nick.

I finally left the duckie, just a couple of days back, and apart from some weird pleasure at pondering if I could make it to the frontline before the clock stopped, I do not miss it much. Yes, once in 15 times, I was on the top of the heap, and I killed somebody, but that does not compensate for the times when I went aground in a good spot, at my awfully sedate  pace, spotted a big one  offering its flank to me, and did. absolutely. no. damage. Admit it, this is the only tank ever that can offer you the macabre experience of "accuracy 70%" and "damage:0", in the same battle.

Grimwing #37 Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19005 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN
So you people say the AMX 40 is a piece of shit and is a vulnerable target.

So your hard grind is over, and you get your tier 5 tank that's much better.

Let's see.

AMX 12t:

Hull Armor 50/20/15(mm)
Turret Armor 40/20/20(mm)

Impressive values on a tier 5 tank, really! Even if it's speedy. Takes probably 2 shots that won't even bounce, it also has its engine in the front of the hull. For me, this will be hell of a grind after the rubber duck... But then again, people can't be all the same.

Zenith #38 Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 4457 battles

View PostGrimwing, on 23 January 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

So your hard grind is over, and you get your tier 5 tank that's much better.

Let's see.

AMX 12t:

Hull Armor 50/20/15(mm)
Turret Armor 40/20/20(mm)

So true, I've wasted no end of those in my T7/8 tanks, and I almost feel sorry for them. Speed is no real advantage when someone knows how to aim.

Homer_J #39 Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30883 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I loved the AMX40 and AMX12t.  Neither seemed a hard grind, even managing 7 kills in one battle with the AMX40.

Maybe I'm just strange, or maybe it's because I had a 100% crew on the AMX38 which I retrained to 90% for the AMX40 and added the 3rd at 100%, which gave me 3 at well over 80% on the 12t.

TxCRP #40 Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6901 battles
Here are my stats on this thing that i recently finish (amx40)

• Winrate 66%
• average xp 336
• max xp 1059

And i didn't take any pleasure to play this sh..t, most of the battle that i win wasn't due to my participation at battle (i arrived after the battle) and when i does good score it's only because i was top tiers facing beginners (in tiers 1-4 you face so many beginner) who didn't know how to aim weak point of this tank, just face a veteran in a hetzer or marder and you get 1 or 2 shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users