World of Warplanes discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

jodgi #1 Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38196 battles
We don't have a proper place to discuss WoWP yet, so I'm trying to kick it off here.

I'd like to hear what you guys think as bits of information trickles from WG.

Have at it!

XiTiX #2 Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16301 battles
  • [0WNED] 0WNED
What about WoWp forum? :D

Eraser_SK #3 Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22289 battles
  • [BIA-0] BIA-0
http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/
:Smile_great:

jodgi #4 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38196 battles
Forgive my double post... I didn't want this in the first post.

Right now what interests me the most about WoWP is how WG will postition their creation in relation to the other online flightsims.
I'm assuming they will make similar "arcade" tradeoffs as we know from WoT. They will probably stick to the short and concentrated matches ala WoT. Whether I end up liking it or not, I'd wager those are wise design choices. That niche is there for the taking and they avoid competing directly with established games.

With WoT, the simplified controls and game mechanics actually appeal to me, though I usually opt for the hardcore sim features when choosing my poison. Tanks are fun but I doubt that I have the required level of interest, in tanks, to be able to compete in a hardcore sim. With WoWP I'm not so sure this tradeoff will work for me, I hope it will, but I'm restraining my expectations a bit.

The possible pitfall for me is that with planes I do have a more than adequate level of interest and plenty of acquired proficiency to compete in a hardcore sim environment and player community. Would simplified controls, game mechanics and flight simulation make me lose interest or will I be able to enjoy the simple fun of it?

About controls...

I read in some news bit that players will be able to control WoWP with a mouse and a keyboard. They want to make the game available to anyone, that's their design requirement and I won't fault them. Games truly available to almost anyone have a higher chance of widespread success, as WoT has shown. I would absolutely never spend my time in a warplane game which was mouse control only, so it's good to know they have stated that joysticks will be supported.
This leads to a question.
I can't envision a mouse control player and a player with a decent joystick having an even playing field.

How can they hope to make the game competitive for a mouse control guy playing against one with a joystick?

Either players will have to accept the mouse disability or WG will have to dumb down things to such a degree that joysticks are inconsequential anyway. For all practical purposes in regard to controls WoT is a 2D game and works fine with a mouse and a keyboard. The extra dimension in an aircraft game makes it hard for me to believe I won't have an advantage playing with a joystick (and rudder pedals... and throttle... and...).

Whatcha think?

jodgi #5 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38196 battles
This is embarrassing... :-\

I'll pack my things and head over there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users