the long walk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

blubbber #1 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10566 battles
I know this doesn't really fit into this forum at all, but since this is off-topic section and the only forum I am really active at the moment, I thought I might as well ask... who knows, someone may be able to help me out :P

don't really want to go into a lot of details since it all sucks, but I have to leave Scotland and return home (Luxembourg). Not wanting to leave and especially not wanting to go back home, I decided to make my departure from my much loved home for the last 12 years memorable by walking home!
I expect this to be somewhere between 1000 and 1500 miles and I have about 3 months of free time to do it. I do a lot of hiking so I am experienced gear-wise and know what I need etc. Just have the monumental task ahead of me of planning a route ... obviously I don't want to walk along the M6 ... :)
any British people around that have done some long distance walks and can offer any tips / suggestions? I was thinking of making use of the Pennine way but not really sure yet about the rest of the route and how to avoid as much civilization as possible. While Scotland will be easy enough as you can legally just put your tent up pretty much anywhere, things will get a bit harder in England...

I know it's a longshot but asking can't hurt :P
plus I am bored at work....if nothing else comes out of this, maybe Doughole has some fitting picture to add to the topic and cheer things up :P

blubbber #2 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10566 battles
... or any Dutch or Belgians around that can offer any advice on the situation in their countries for walking? WHile I have some ideas about the UK, I know absolutely nothing about those countries regarding laws and potential walks ... so not sure yet how to get across either Belgium or Holland... I do plan on reaching Brussel towards the end of June though in time for Rock Werchter ... :)

again, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Addi64 #3 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 8067 battles
now THAT is a great thing to do if you got the time. I can't add any advice since you won't pass through germany, but I really like your idea!

blubbber #4 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10566 battles
I will pass through Germany ... my family lives just across the border in Germany, but it's only about 5km, and I walked that part before :P

DougHole #5 Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
I am pleased to provide both an illustration and book recommend that you may want to consider.

The most famous of all writes to document his own walks is a chap called Afred Wainwright.

Website about him: http://wainwright-walks.co.uk/

He primarily walked in the lake district and his books serve not only as a guide but a wonderful companion for any walker. I used to walk a but with an ex girlfriend, however that has ceased now as my current partner (wife) restricts her exercise to eating and occasionally sex.

I also recommend a walk up Snowdon, and also take the steam engine either up or down it also which is a fantastic experience.

Here is a picture of a woman walking.

Posted Image

wsatnutter #6 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 25129 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
if you walk the pennines then be prepared with the best clothes if the weather catches you u will die

shiftypowers2002 #7 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11555 battles
  • [MIS] MIS
Sorry to hear that your being booted out of the place you've grown to love. But have to say that it's an impressive and rather insane way of getting back home.  :Smile_honoring:

As always Doug is bang on with the book. Haven't used it myself but there's been a tv series done about it and i'd recommend it highly.

Are you gonna be disembarking the UK via Ferry, is Hull gonna be an option ferry port wise?

Either way if you happen to find yourself in Wolverhampton way let me know. I'll happily provide you with sustenance and tea/ coffee.  

(*disclaimer: although if i judge that you a dodgy look about you the aforementioned tea may well be passed to you via the front window!!)  :rolleyes:

Ecotech #8 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles
She is not walking, she is marching!

Regarding the long-walk (may it serve a better purpose than Mao's), I wish you nothing but the best. I do my long trips on my trusty Honda, I couldn't even begin to imagine what a trip of this magnitude would need. Probably good boots would be a start :P

DougHole #9 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles

View PostEcotech, on 25 January 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

I do my long trips on my trusty Honda...

Eco...does that mean...that this is you?

http://dennisontwitt...1500-photos.jpg

Ecotech #10 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles
I'm not that old and I have a much nicer lady (who currently is kinda pissed with me, due to the "Olga" incident). I drive a Helix, but I will grind hard to get a rig like the one in the picture.

Aqnde #11 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8209 battles
I can give some advice if you're willing to take a detour by Northern Norway and Northern Finland.

DougHole #12 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
Nice bike.

Not sure about the customised variations though...

Posted Image

Ecotech #13 Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17502 battles
I was talking about this: Honda Helix 1995.

Posted Image

Had many bikes before and after, but this one I kept. God willing, in August I'll be somewhere in the UK with it.

DougHole #14 Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
Dude there's a nice there seat for Olga as well....I mean your g/f...

blubbber #15 Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10566 battles
huh, thanks for all the feedback so far, more than I expected ... although most of it is spam and going off topic gahhhh RAGEEE!!!
... just kidding, spam away, it keeps me entertained here :P

as always, your pics don't dissappoint Doug, will keep the woman one handy for when I get bored during my 3 months in the outdoors .... ok, maybe too far :P

@doug:
first of all, thanks for the link. I have ordered quite a few books about this topic already but the more the better and on first looks there seems to be some good info there. Not come across that guy so far in my research.
Mostly been looking into guys that did the end to end walk since it seems to come close to what I am planning on doing. The main problem I find with all the stuff I read so far is that the people planned their trips more like a military campaign, with support teams sending them stuff and replacement gear to various pre-arranged stops along their trip, have pre-booked accommodation etc all along the way and secretaries checking their bookings etc as they go. That does not belittle the physical effort they put into their walk, but staying in B&Bs and havign everything pre-arranged is not the adventure I am looking for... I plan on winging it as much as possible and just bivying it, keeping B&Bs etc only if I need recovery from blisters / injuries etc
Only thing I really want to plan properly is the route. obvioulsy it is essential that I know where I am going, how much food I need to carry, when I can expect to restock my supplies and how far in between fresh water sources to refill my camelbags... hopefully, if I combine all the books I find, I can come up wiht a decent route :)

@wsatnutter:
do you have any experience about what I can expect on the Pennines somewhere between April and March? I have spent 3 days trapped in the Cairngorms in a blizzard and around -25 degrees hiding away in a bothy after a gruelling 9 hour trip through chest-deep snow in the middle of the night, so I am quite confident in my gear and survival abilities. but considering the length of the trip I want to keep my gear as minimalist as possible, ie summer hiking trousers, a good wicking t-shirt and microfleece and some paclite goretex trousers and top for when it rains, possibly a spare t-shirt and trousers, keeping myself warm through walking and if need be just retreating in my sleeing bag and bivi. to keep the weight down I was thinking of only taking a down bag wiht a minimum comfort rating of 4 degrees. or do you think I will need more? still need to do research into what kind of temperatures I can expect during that time of the year, so any knowledge you could share on this would be very welcome :)

@shifty:
so far, I want to include stops in Cardiff, Bristol and ending in Ipswich to visit some friends before leaving this awesome country, so probably looking into getting a ferry in the Ipswich area.
looking at the map, the Pennine way ends somewhere in the Peak District National Park and Wolverhampton is actually somewhere between that and Cardiff ... if you are serious about your offer of tea, I may well take you up on that if you don't mind?
(*disclaimer: although if i judge that you a dodgy look about you the aforementioned tea may well be requested via the front window!!) :)

I will most certainly look dodgy after having spent a couple of months on the road crashing outdoors but with a reputation in the 80s here on the forum and the internet never lying, how could you possibly not trust me?!? :)

it may not bring much re-assurance, but if you are serious and my route does indeed lead past your home, I could offer you a look into my facebook profile so you can verify what and outstanding character I am LOL
how do I know though that you are not planning on locking me up in your basement and forcing me to to grind your tanks for you before releasing me??? :)

@Aqnde:
thank you very much for your kind offer, but I think that may take me a bit far off course and I am not sure a swim through the North Sea would be very advisable at that time of the year ... :)

DougHole #16 Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
Blubber.

As I understand it, Wainright actually wrote the definitive coast to coast walk so it might be ideal for you. This is taken from a website promoting his work:

"A Coast to Coast Walk was devised by Wainwright himself, and set out in his 1973 guidebook to the route.

The route is a 192-mile (although according to a recent re-measuring the real distance is almost 220 miles) unofficial, long distance footpath in Northern England. It passes through three contrasting national parks: the Lake District National Park, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, and the North York Moors National Park.

Wainwright suggested a way of breaking the walk miles into stages, each of which to be completed in a day. With one or two rest days, this makes the route fit into a two-week holiday. However, Wainwright explicitly stated that he did not intend people to necessarily stick to these stages or even to his route: for example, by reducing day-lengths to 10 or 12 miles, the walk becomes a much easier three-week trip with time to 'stand and stare'.

In 2004 the walk was named as the second best walk in the world according to a survey of experts."

http://www.wainwrigh...asttocoast.html

Wainright FTW

blubbber #17 Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10566 battles
it's already ordered on amazon :)

thanks again for the tip, looking forward to read it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users