T-34 - crap?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

Blauer_Dragoner #1 Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13933 battles
  • [DEG_] DEG_
I was always impressed by the soviet tanks in this game.... the small ones because they are so quick and can outmanouver most tanks in no time. The KVs because they are rolling fortresses. So I tried one for my own. And was soon surprised - but not for good:
When I got the A20, I died and died over and over again. My hit statistics were disastrous. Not because of my shooting skills, but because the gun is so lousy. So I read up the threads here about the A20 and I found that mostly the people had the same experience as me. For a scout its too slow, for a breaker it´s gun isnt good enough. And all said the same - be patient, collect the points and wait for the T-34.
Yesterday evening I reached the necessary amount - finally! After endless frustrating battles, lots of losses and frayed nerves. And I was a happy and proud owner of a T-34 tank! But after the first battles, I am sitting in front of my computer, staring at the screen with open mouth and just can say: WTF? This tank has a:
  • weak armor
  • lousy precision
  • farcical gun
  • is even slower than the A20
E.g.: last battle I tried to shoot a Tier6 tank. 4 shots, 3 hits, no damage because no penetration! The battle before the same: 4 shots, 4 hits, NO DAMAGE! None! Not even 1%! And this happens all the time since I first used the T-34...
I dont want to whine around, I just want to know:
1) did they change something for the T-34 with the last patch? Was it better before?
2) maybe its me... what am I doing wrong? What strengths and what weaknesses does the T-34 have? What do I have to change to be successful with this tank?
I am seriously seeking for answers, because otherwise I´m gonna stop playing. It was frustrating enough to go all the way with the A20, I dont want to repeat that waste of time.

Valerius #2 Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 29230 battles
  • [SD_DK] SD_DK
have you upgraded any of the modules on it?

Once it is fully researched it is quite a little monster BUT it is still just a medium tank and it is still just a tier 5. You will never be able to take on tier 6 heavies on your own in it (unless they really mess up)

1) No, they didn't change anything
2) It's main strength is the repeater gun (same as the t-50-2's). Good damage and high RoF. You will need to learn how to drive the tank though, that takes more then 1 battle.

I_am_from_Russia #3 Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
In Russian please... :Smile-hiding:

Кто-нибудь знает русский язык?

PCManiac #4 Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Special Beta Tester
  • 14036 battles
  • [VKS] VKS
Get the better gun asap and always stay at the rear of the main force when facing higher tier enemys. Never charge in on your own, you'll just end up as a sad wreck.

It is an incredibly fun and powerful tank to drive during the initial lvling rush when everyone is around same level, but it becomes cannon-fodder later if not driven carefully.

View PostI_am_from_Russia, on 31 January 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

In Russian please... :Smile-hiding:

Кто-нибудь знает русский язык?
This is EU forum, so official language is English.

Bandit911 #5 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 29328 battles
Just to make things clear:
You are not talking about T34.
T34 is a heavy US tank.
The one you are talking about is T-34 a soviet medium tank.

You probable need some time to find the way your T-34 is most efective. Keep fighting. It's just a matter of time.
One more thing. High tier soviet tanks are really good, so even if you dont like them for now, you will be happy having T-43,T-44 and ofcourse
T-54 - one of the best tanks in the game.

I_am_from_Russia #6 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPCManiac, on 31 January 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Get the better gun asap and always stay at the rear of the main force when facing higher tier enemys. Never charge in on your own, you'll just end up as a sad wreck.

It is an incredibly fun and powerful tank to drive during the initial lvling rush when everyone is around same level, but it becomes cannon-fodder later if not driven carefully.

This is EU forum, so official language is English.
Thank you very much :Smile_great:

I_am_from_Russia #7 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostMotorozo, on 31 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Just to make things clear:
You are not talking about T34.
T34 is a heavy US tank.
The one you are talking about is T-34 a soviet medium tank.

You probable need some time to find the way your T-34 is most efective. Keep fighting. It's just a matter of time.
One more thing. High tier soviet tanks are really good, so even if you dont like them for now, you will be happy having T-43,T-44 and ofcourse
T-54 - one of the best tanks in the game.
I agree!

Fronx #8 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9334 battles
This post was difficult to read as you have written "T34" (an USA Tier IX Heavy tank), while you actually mean "T-34" (an USSR mid-tier medium tank).

It might help if you post-edit your post and fix the name.

What little I remember of T-34, it was bearable after getting rid of stock status. All tanks are bad as stock.

Playing stock T-34 should differ in strategy from playing fully module upgraded T-34. So take it carefully while grinding updates, then you can start playing more aggressively when updated.

RaoulDuke #9 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17862 battles
  • [A-FK] A-FK
Stock it's really a pain to play but with the 57mm canon (aka "i can penetrate everything i meet with the rof of an ak47) it's one of a best tank i've ever played

You basically do whatever you want with him, as a sniper he is deadly (with the awesome RoF and the great accuracy of the 57 you can take down a kv in 30sec while he can't even see you) as a dogfighter he is deadly but pick up really carefully your targets (you can easily take down a lonely tiger for example), as a second line support he is really efficient, because you can take some shot if you angle correctly your tank and you can really efficiently aim for weakspot (57 is just ... woaw, best gun evaaaar !), you can do the fast roll to take down ennemy arty at the middle of the game when all the heavy are busy etc...

But he sucks as a 1st line tank, any direct fight would result as a lost for you

This is the ultimate support tank, so it is quite hard to play it right, but when you will know it will give you sooooo much pleasure

nemrod #10 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19486 battles
also t-34 spreads its wings only with crew 90%+, before that (even elited) is sluggish as hell

Abusemtex #11 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26852 battles
  • [-RED-] -RED-
Go for engine-turret-ZiS4 a.s.a.p.! T-34 is even harder to handle than PzIV because of Tier 5 cannon only.
I see you have the PzIII/IV which is pretty much the same as T-34. Use speed and manoeuvrability to flank your enemies.
You will often encounter enemies much stronger than you because MM throwes you up to Tier 8 battles (IS3/KT/T32). In that case try to sneak to their base and kill arty or focus on scouts.

Blauer_Dragoner #12 Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13933 battles
  • [DEG_] DEG_
Thanks alot for all the info. Thumbs up for all you people!

Fixed the T34/T-34 prob... I hope its now more convenient to you. I was never quite interested in the american tanks here, so I didnt knew that there is such a tank with nearly the same name and there might be a chance of confusion. Sorry.

So, which gun do you think is the best now? The F-34, the S-54 or the ZiS-4? Which module should I have to focus? Gun? Turret? Tracks?

Perji #13 Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16581 battles
T-34 isn't crap.
It's a rather slow medium tank, intended for countering enemy light scouts, very powerful in wolfpacks when you can use tougher friendlies as shields.
T-34 is a good all-rounder tank, it can do anything, but it doesn't excel at anything in particular. There's a good side to this too, it means that any tank you encounter will be inferior to you in some way, be it maneuvrability, armor or dps.
You should never be caught out of cover with it, there's only 45mm of armor on you.

Can't remember the tech tree right now, but first thing you need on it is tracks for better load capacity, 57 mm ZiS-4 gun that's a machine gun with good penetration and I believe you also need the second turret for that gun.

http://i173.photobuc...ks/shot_905.jpg
It's anything BUT crap.

GiS_Feanor #14 Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19250 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
Personally I'd go for the ZIS-4 all the way. This gun is just so fun. Brings back memories of the BT-2 where you can fire faster than you can aim. You should enjoy the battles with this guns as you won't get an accurate gun you want to use in the medium line again until LB-1 on T-44 (I rejected the best 85mm on purpose because of poor penetration and the recent HE-nerf).

So gun asap. The new turret gives you way better view range and you'll need this to take advantage of your machine gun :)  Then maybe the radio next for the same reason. (I can't remember if you need tracks to mount the turret and radio but...)
So my choice of upgrades give you the ability to be the sniper the 57mm lets you be. The T-34 isn't very fast and agile anyway so I didn't feel the need to prioritize engine and tracks first..

My 2 cents..

uxen #15 Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8095 battles
man you need the 57-ZIS4 gun. It's a high penetration machine gun and with upgraded engine and ZIS the T-34 just rocks!

BUT, still you will have to bite the bitter matchmaking which puts you in battles you should never end up in with tier 5 med.

IMHO it is a great tank..

th3freakie #16 Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5829 battles
  • [P_S_L] P_S_L
When you end up in high-tier battles, you play it like a T-50. At least that's what I did, before the T-50 even existed in this game.
I absolutely loved this tank.

Honeybadger251 #17 Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3406 battles
Forget the A-20. We all had to go through that horrible grind to get to T-34, and sometimes we wake up in cold sweats shouting "That one didnt go through!" or "We've had it! Lets get out of here!", but its over. You need never drive that heap of crap again.

As far as the T-34 goes, you need the ZiS. With that and the engine upgrades, this tank goes from mediochre medium to "Ha! Beg for mercy, puny KV! I SAID BEG!". Seriously, that gun has great penetration, ridiculous ROF, and pretty damn good accuracy.

Add that to a fast, nimble tank with no real weakspots (side armour is the same as the front for risk-free angling, and its nicely sloped all around) and you have a machine that can kick a sherman or PzIV up the backside so hard that their owner will want to change to the Russian tree after the battle, and any KV that feels like doing a little derping will soon hate his slow reload and turret traverse as you circle him to death, putting a shell in his engine or the back of his turret every 2 seconds.

M3 Lees and PzIII's will run in fear from your deceptively thin chaingun of death, getting a whole 20m before you detrack them with the awesome accuracy, then casually deliver the killing blow as you charge past them at 50kph, on your way to make a StuG cry. Marder IIs hiding in bushes wont even open fire on you, they'll keep hiding, hoping you wont spot them and turn them into a burning, twisted wreck. T-28's? HAH! They burn brighter than any other, and even though they'll mutter about kicking your butt when they finally grind the KV, you know youll just tear that open too and ram the wreck a few times, just cause you know theyre watching.

The T-34 is way beyond nails. Dont judge it by its ugly stepsister, the A-20. That tank was the 5/10, tryhard alcoholic girl who falls over when she tries to hit someone. The T-34 is a beautiful, shapely ninja with shining eyes and a killer instinct who could take on the whole damn north korean army if she thought they were worth her time. Give her a chance.

Podovsky #18 Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18785 battles
  • [DPF] DPF
T-34 requires some skill. Mount the 57mm gun and spray the enemy. It has good precision and rate of fire. You will probably need to adjust your playing style. Don´t go frontal, but instead flank the enemy and rape them. Together with a friend of mine we raped a King Tiger once with 2 T-34, was quite funny.

TheDOD #19 Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9638 battles
  • [HOV] HOV
IMO even stock T-34 was a realy nice tank. I keep't trolling the KV-2's  :Smile-playing:

sp0q #20 Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4796 battles
I'll never sell this baby :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users