The AMX 40 "tank"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: The AMX 40 "tank" (606 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like the AMX 40?

1. Yes. (77 votes [12.71%])

Percentage of vote: 12.71%

2. No. (114 votes [18.81%])

Percentage of vote: 18.81%

3. Hate it with all my being. (146 votes [24.09%])

Percentage of vote: 24.09%

4. Love it! Good tank. (41 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

5. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH IT SUCKS SOOOOOOOO BAD IT MAKES ME SLIT MY WRISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (vent for mad owners that got oneshotted) (228 votes [37.62%])

Percentage of vote: 37.62%

Vote Hide poll

95tonne #1 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1934 battles
Oh my god does it suck. Even when fully upgraded, it gets blown to bits with like 2 shots. It has NO:

-armor (will explain)
-speed
-looks
-hitpoints
-decent guns

Armor: Good, nice slope, nice thickness, but against elited kv's, pz4's it stands no chance (not to mention higher tiers). Rarely gets matched with tiers it can bounce nicely, but if it gets matched with them, it is FUN!!!

Speed: 50 kmh? Yeeeeeeaahh.... And i travel 407 kmh with my bicycle. 25 kmh at best at flat ground, 6 kmh uphill, 49 kmh downhill (useless, so i do not count it). Measuring like that, a Maus can go 100 kmh.. Down a cliff. BTW, when you see a t5+ tank in front of you, you can not run away, nor flank it.

Looks: Non upgraded turret - like a duck, and somehow nice. With upgr. turret - ugly, asymmetrical, retarded, dumb. The hull however is really slick.

Hitpoints: 280 non-upgr. turret, 300 upgr. one. Nothing special. Some things (and most of them if you are the top tank) can not pen you, but some do (t5 tanks), and when they do, you are dead in a few shots.

Decent guns: None. A t3 gun (best one) does not do very well against t5+ tanks. Inaccurate, slow reload, slow "circle narrowing" (snapping)... (again it pwns low tiers)

So, you can not scout, can not damage most of the time and are not handsome. It is a bad grind.
Fun, at lower tiers, but again, rarely gets matched with them. If you are lucky, however, it is fun. Really fun. Everything dings, and you (with the 75mm) can pen everything. I once killed 3 tanks in it, and that is my record (nothing special).

The conclusion is: The AMX 40 might not be THAT bad, but the MM makes it (really) bad (like many tanks). However, it shines when it is the top tier.

End of the rant review.

EDIT: Thanks, Bundin! :Smile_honoring:

Crasydwarf #2 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 11486 battles
I did fairly well it with. So i can't say i share your opinion.

I do have the almost complete grind without premium in the replays section, if you want to check it out.
Maybe it will improve your experience with it.

Bundin #3 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7528 battles
Moved to French Light vehicles forum. Please take care to post topics where they belong :)

Also: I don't have it yet, but I already hate the 38. All the posts I've seen on these boards make me wonder if I want to bother at all...

bravotango #4 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 28083 battles
  • [BFUSQ] BFUSQ

View PostBundin, on 02 February 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Moved to French Light vehicles forum. Please take care to post topics where they belong :)

Also: I don't have it yet, but I already hate the 38. All the posts I've seen on these boards make me wonder if I want to bother at all...

I hated that too, yet I got a Top Gun with 8 kills with it. It's got good armor for it's tier, but the gun is painful. AMX 40 doesn't have any positive in it's tier. Too slow, too weak, you can't even support anybody.

BrianDuffy #5 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7674 battles
It has a very Steampunk look to it and it was fun once I downloaded the rubber duck skin.

In the, very occasional, same tier fight it rocked with it's huge armour and it was quite fun trundling 2 by 2 down the middle of a map with shells pinging off you but the joy soon wore off as match making worked its magic and you were just a free frag for any tier 5+ who wanted it.

Sold it as soon as I had enough for the AMX12t and will happily never touch the thing again.

Keep tanking
:Smile_honoring:

E57 #6 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10723 battles
I like [shooting at] it.

jetpack5 #7 Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 17122 battles
U relly think its such bad ???
i dont think so..
it has a reall good gun, and the armour is awesome
in my opinion its a very good and well balanced tank..
so i LOVE it  :Smile_honoring:

saml6131 #8 Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8559 battles
It wouldn't be so bad if it could actually go 50kph 90% of the time. Hell, I raced one in my Churchill (Tier 5 heavy tank 27kph) and was overtaking it, until we got to a slope and he shot down it but then as soon as we reached flat terrain I caught up with it. If a Heavy tank can go faster than a light tank then I believe that there is a problem. But don't worry, I expect War Gaming will add something to the tank to help it. Maybe all it needs is an engine with 300+ Horsepower.

bravotango #9 Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 28083 battles
  • [BFUSQ] BFUSQ

View Postjetpack5, on 02 February 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

U relly think its such bad ???
i dont think so..
it has a reall good gun, and the armour is awesome
in my opinion its a very good and well balanced tank..
so i LOVE it  :Smile_honoring:
The tank maybe well balanced, but it's MM value is definitely not. Same tier fight is good, but 90% of the times I was in tier 5+ matches.

HazCZ #10 Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22150 battles
I wanted to try french lights and meds...but as usually (in all tank trees of any nation) tier 4 sucks really BIG TIME...
I thought, that it can't be worse than A-20 or Lee. I was so wrong. It can. I agree with everything written in your review OP. I gave up grinding french med tree for now - just because of AMX 40.

95tonne #11 Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1934 battles
As far as i have seen, some people love this tank. That is not bad, actually it is good! If i could enjoy it, i would be at the 12t already! Good for you.

HazCZ, yeah, the t4 is the worst tier. They should fix all of the tanks, except dedicated scouts (UNlike the pz38na).

bravotango, agree. The tank is not bad, the matches it is placed in like 95% of the time make it bad.

saml6131, yeah. If it could do that it people would scream OP!!!! OP!!!!! This french POS is OP!!!!! However it does need a speed buff, even at the cost of armor.

HazCZ #12 Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22150 battles

View Post95tonne, on 02 February 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

HazCZ, yeah, the t4 is the worst tier. They should fix all of the tanks, except dedicated scouts (UNlike the pz38na).
Agreed, Pz38Na is quite good tank, nice little scout. And another tier 4 I've played is T-28, which is big as barn with paper armor, but it also delivers quite big punch with best gun (enjoyed hunting KVs with that one). Tier 4 is supposed to be a maturity test probably  :Smile_harp:  If you endure and get past it, you can finally call yourself a tanker  :D

Rhenaya #13 Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7430 battles
i am currently on it for my grind towards the more nice french tanks... and i hate it furiously, just 4k more xp...

but i think thats a problem with most tier 4 tanks:
t-28 and a-20 are both ones i played too (being all russian before the french arrived)
the t-28 is one of the biggest tanks around even larger as some of the heavies. has armor made of paper etc. but at least it gets neat gun later on
a-20 can be one of the fastet tanks, but needs a really long long flat ground or some downhill to get to the speed, and turning is like hitting breaks

m3 lee well... i not played it only know it from friends and casual jokes, so not really neat either (though it got a good gun make me wonder sometimes what the jokes are about)
pz3 is not particually bad either, but being not top tank its just annoying grind to from what i heard.

Claymored #14 Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9224 battles
Hate it, theres only two types of game with the AMX40.

1.All the enemy die before you get to fire a shot.
2.All your team dies and you get gang raped by whats left of the enemy team.

Aceblunt #15 Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4278 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Completely agree with how bad this tank is. Just looking at the 14k to the next and thinking maybe i'l just convert it.

As for other t4's I wouldn't say they are all bad. I loved the T-28, still in my garage now. Saying that, it's the only t4 I have left and the rest of the mediums are quite poor.

The main reason for me seems to be the weight of the top gun. I aim for tracks, then turret and gun, before engine when researching new tanks. Adds all the weight on first though in a lot of cases and makes the tank extremely sluggish. Thats how the AMX 40 feels, but it feels like that still when it is fully researched.

The 3rd gun weighs 1520 kg instead of 100 or 90 for the other two.
Turret 2nd weighs 2500 instead of 2250

Think im going to try it now with the 1st turret and 2nd gun, see how scouty this thing can be

EDIT: Tried it. Utterly terrible. Was able to actually keep up with other tanks, got in a pinging contest with another amx 40, about 30 shots later we were both still untouched.

Kanjejou #16 Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16443 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN
need just a bit more rof or reduced aimiing time and better accuracy right now its painfull to drive shoot and tank witht his i keep it because it look kind of a rubbe rduck

War_of_Genius #17 Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28989 battles
TIP: Play it in a platoon and talk over skype. I never ever had so much fun while playing an awfull tank. We were laughing our asses off.

It is such a comical, wierd and freaky tank. And it gets in "Scout Duty". BWAHAHAHAHA. have u ever laughed while failing hard in an useless tank? Try it my friend, try it.

And of course, if it is top tier in a matchup it can really annoy everybody in the match. (even your own team, remember? U R SLOOOOOOOOW)

First tank ever in which I noticed a bounced shot that pennetrated, too.

Posted Image

thx wargaming. Bounced shot marks look great!

War_of_Genius #18 Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28989 battles
I am an idiot.

RoyalViperX #19 Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 2708 battles
Ever saw  tier 4 tank matching the playingstyle of the toptier? No! <_< I played Pz3 / T28 / M3 Lee & Leo each over 150 games  and there is one thing I can say about it: It all depends on your playing style.The Pz3 for speedy flankin The T28 / Lee for TD-like roles and the Leo for Hit'n Run actions.  

Now the AMX 40 made it's appearance in WOT and it's like a Valentine tank ( heavy lowtier ), but it has it's differences ( better gun ( better than pz3 ), better armor and less health ).If there are T5/6 heavies in team, just move with them ( ur slow, they're slow :P ). Ur not a flanker, but u can attract many shells by dodging into trenches making use of ur low and sloped profile. The 75mm has some pen so u should not only stick to HE ( as with pz3 ), but mix it for mixed combat. In Topdog games, this tank is just badass  :Smile-izmena:

+ High sloped armor for tier 4
+- average gun
- Speed

Concluding, makes it a decent tank, not OP nor UP, but as i said before: It all depends on your playingstyle.  :)

( by the way, if u are really going for the toptier tanks, i can understand that this is a whole other playstyle, and that it can be considered a sh*ttank  :lol: )

Tachik0ma #20 Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7587 battles
With my KV took me 3-4shots penetrate him on lateral from 250meters, i it bounced me too often. It's not that bad, but isn't just good to grind due to low damage.

As it have no great guns, it can't make many damage, and without damage you can't gain exp or credits, and grinding turns a pain.

PD: I usualy use 107mm in my KV.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users