The AMX 40 "tank"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: The AMX 40 "tank" (606 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like the AMX 40?

1. Yes. (77 votes [12.71%])

Percentage of vote: 12.71%

2. No. (114 votes [18.81%])

Percentage of vote: 18.81%

3. Hate it with all my being. (146 votes [24.09%])

Percentage of vote: 24.09%

4. Love it! Good tank. (41 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

5. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH IT SUCKS SOOOOOOOO BAD IT MAKES ME SLIT MY WRISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (vent for mad owners that got oneshotted) (228 votes [37.62%])

Percentage of vote: 37.62%

Vote Hide poll

Unkel_Dolan #61 Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 29939 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN
This tank is a real lemon. I like the armor, love the alien design, gun is meh but alright. But that power/weight ratio is just shameful. When I play it I'm always scared to be circled to death by a KV. On the ground the B1 is a much faster tank.

themaelstorm #62 Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10213 battles
  • [2VER] 2VER
Just like 38, it's invincible versus own tier. I got topgun with it and believe me when I say I'm no good:) It faces high tiers constantly though and loses value highly.

Evilsod #63 Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6330 battles

View Postthemaelstorm, on 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Just like 38, it's invincible versus own tier. I got topgun with it and believe me when I say I'm no good:) It faces high tiers constantly though and loses value highly.

Don't talk bollocks. The tank isn't even invincible versus Tier 3 never mind Tier 4. A number of tanks in T3, mostly tank destroyers, will penetrate you with ease, the Marder II being one of the most common low tier tanks around I think. T4 has any number of tanks capable of tearing you apart. The only things that bounce are using crap penetration guns and are probably stock or weak light tanks. Even against T4 its a joke because of the ridiculous reload time on the one gun worth using (as far as damage/penetration goes).

themaelstorm #64 Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10213 battles
  • [2VER] 2VER
It's not "bollocks". I've taken steel wall with it and I probably could have taken at least 2 more if I chose not to kill people. It has a very sloped armor and decent thickness. Of course it's not LITERALLY invincible. But if a tank is LITERALLY invincible against its OWN tier, then it must be OP. Also, in games of your tier, there will be many low tier tanks who will cry in pain. Anyway, as said, my steel wall says hi:)

Evilsod #65 Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6330 battles

View Postthemaelstorm, on 18 April 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

It's not "bollocks". I've taken steel wall with it and I probably could have taken at least 2 more if I chose not to kill people. It has a very sloped armor and decent thickness. Of course it's not LITERALLY invincible. But if a tank is LITERALLY invincible against its OWN tier, then it must be OP. Also, in games of your tier, there will be many low tier tanks who will cry in pain. Anyway, as said, my steel wall says hi:)

Yes, it is bollocks. I've gotten Steel Wall on the Hotchkiss before, that doesn't make it well armoured. Just like how the mini-maus is very potent in T2 because of the high number of rapid fire low penetration weapons but there are a number of tanks that will rip you a new one easily. If you get put up against a bunch of tanks with really crap penetration weapons, particularly rapid fire ones, you will take absolutely zero damage from them. Sorry but one miracle battle is not indicative of the tanks worth. Any T4 tank with a gun that doesn't suck will penetrate you easily, barring shots from long range that have a higher chance of hitting at an odd angle on the sloped/curved surface you will die very quickly. All of this is totally irrelevant anyway. A tiny fraction of your battles will put you as top tier and they are almost guaranteed to have Marder IIs, amongst others, involved, who can rip you apart with ease. Every other battle will be T5 minimum, where basically every tank has a gun capable of penetrating you.

Rabid_Turnip #66 Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17996 battles
  • [XVIII] XVIII
It's a bag of shit - can't move, can't shoot, useless piece of junk. Sold it.

Spiediens #67 Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5887 battles
I think they should reclassify it as a "medium" tank, so it can fight in Junior Tank companies, should easen up the grind  :rolleyes:

Evilsod #68 Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6330 battles
Who the hell would let an AMX 40 into a T4 tank company over a T-28? It has no speed and no firepower and against a Zis-4, no hope.

Spiediens #69 Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5887 battles

View PostEvilsod, on 20 April 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Who the hell would let an AMX 40 into a T4 tank company over a T-28? It has no speed and no firepower and against a Zis-4, no hope.
From what I understand, the AMX 40 has a howtizer, put a couple of HE shells in the T-28 and it will cry like a little baby  :D

Stokkolm #70 Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13705 battles
Even the 85mm from T-28 has better rate of fire than this "howitzer", and it does the same damage with ap as the 75mm does with he...

themaelstorm #71 Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10213 battles
  • [2VER] 2VER

View PostEvilsod, on 18 April 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Yes, it is bollocks. I've gotten Steel Wall on the Hotchkiss before, that doesn't make it well armoured. Just like how the mini-maus is very potent in T2 because of the high number of rapid fire low penetration weapons but there are a number of tanks that will rip you a new one easily. If you get put up against a bunch of tanks with really crap penetration weapons, particularly rapid fire ones, you will take absolutely zero damage from them. Sorry but one miracle battle is not indicative of the tanks worth. Any T4 tank with a gun that doesn't suck will penetrate you easily, barring shots from long range that have a higher chance of hitting at an odd angle on the sloped/curved surface you will die very quickly. All of this is totally irrelevant anyway. A tiny fraction of your battles will put you as top tier and they are almost guaranteed to have Marder IIs, amongst others, involved, who can rip you apart with ease. Every other battle will be T5 minimum, where basically every tank has a gun capable of penetrating you.
You're disregarding my experience against yours as if it's a fact. Who says its one "miracle" match? As I said, I could've taken a few easily. In any game where I wasn't matched against higher tiers, I was quite durable. If you know how to position yourself, you're pretty good. I've actually thought it was pure garbage but read lots of comments talking about the armor (I'm new) and after that I changed my gamestyle and did pretty well on equal tier matches. If you haven't, you were probably outplayed or unlucky since, there are of course some tanks that can pen you (no tank is/should be unpennable in its tier anyway). I'll say positioning is the key though. Believe it or not, there are people who succeed with it.

Also, I didn't say it was good against higher tiers nor did I say it got lots of equal matches. Yes, you do get lots of high tier matches and in those matches you are hardly of use since you can't trade blows, you can't scout by hiding, you can't scout by speed and if you want to support, good luck, because most combat will be over before you get there.
It's a pain to grind, but you can make good use of it in equal matches is all I'm saying.

ulcusrodens #72 Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11474 battles
i found it terrible at first, and kept it just for the sick looks... :) now i'm giving it another try, and first "new" experiences were quite painful... for two simple reasons: arty and KVs. every game i played was full of KVs, and they can oneshoot almost anything below tier 7, let alone this little, slow and weak bugger... arty is arty and doesn't need any other explanation.

FlameoftheWest #73 Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3823 battles
  • [TTC] TTC
Not a very god tank but if you want the amx12t you need to grind though

Grabz19 #74 Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 11258 battles
To everyone who says that AMX 40 is bad against it's own tier and lower because of tank destroyers. Mind me, my 38H also suffers from OP penetration Russian guns of MS-1, BT-2 and T-26, yet experienced players manage to get steel walls and destroy entire enemy teams with it...

With proper angling you can take down anything. Especially because it will eventually bounce, giving you a chance to shoot more times -> kill the opponent first.

My opinion about the tank: quite awesome in its tier if you like turd armored tanks, total crap at higher tier which happens more often. Can manage to flank and shoot some stuff if you're lucky, but on paper you have no chance. Overall: never want to touch again

Edited by Grabarz19_PL, 07 May 2012 - 12:01 AM.

Tho1528 #75 Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18648 battles
The problem with the AMX40 is that it might get put into tier 7 battles, which makes your armour useless.
BUT, if you're the top tier, you're the Maus. Most of your enemies will have a lot problems penetrating your armour.

That's the reason why the following thing happens to me a lot, which is actually pretty frustating and funny at the same time:
5 enemies were surrounding me, kept damaging my tracks, so I couldn't drive away. They were standing in a circle around me and shot at me all together, but most of them couldn't pen the armour!
In total, it took 3 minutes of them to kill me :D . (I couldn't kill them because my gun was still stock, and they destroyed my gun aswell.)
A slow, hilarious death...

Kazomir #76 Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 16676 battles
Best tank in ITS own tier. gets owned in higher tiers.
-1 to the OP for saying it has no armor.

5everin #77 Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 78875 battles
  • [TEC] TEC
Its stats are ok on paper and it looks a bit like a duck. Thats honestly the best thing I can say about this tank.
Just get through it and onto somthing worth playing. The French tanks actually get fun after this one.

I did like the H35 where I was literally invincible (well for seven games and have the medal to prove it) and was hoping the amx40 would be similar. I.e. slow but tough with a reasonable gun. I found that it can be, but only in one match out of every 30 where it is top dog. The rest of the time your just a slow easy kill once the enemy has broken through your teams front line (you wont be part of it) or you spend the entire match trying to catch up with the fight if your side is winning.

Edited by 5everin, 17 May 2012 - 03:10 AM.

kejmo #78 Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 30284 battles
  • [X3EAM] X3EAM
Press R, twice, Alt+Tab.

Repeat until you have enough XP to move to the next tier from this crap.

veryangryenglishman #79 Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8666 battles
gonna get one victory a day in this tank for the multiplied xp, but otherwise pretend I live in a happy state of reality (one where i never even laid eyes upon it).

Lalaland #80 Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7740 battles
Had it, hated it, sold it.

Just miserable to play in too slow and an awful gun. To be fair when the MM relented and mixed me in the top third it wasn't too bad as you can damage t4-t3 but t5 is bounce, bounce bounce. </rant>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users