The AMX 40 "tank"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: The AMX 40 "tank" (606 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like the AMX 40?

1. Yes. (77 votes [12.71%])

Percentage of vote: 12.71%

2. No. (114 votes [18.81%])

Percentage of vote: 18.81%

3. Hate it with all my being. (146 votes [24.09%])

Percentage of vote: 24.09%

4. Love it! Good tank. (41 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

5. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH IT SUCKS SOOOOOOOO BAD IT MAKES ME SLIT MY WRISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (vent for mad owners that got oneshotted) (228 votes [37.62%])

Percentage of vote: 37.62%

Vote Hide poll

Australian #81 Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

Private

• Player
  • 309 battles
Although many players regard this tank as not nice you can still have some fun while playing it within a platoon - example here: http://youtu.be/29G7prVzamA (you need to start watching from 8th min, comments are in Russian).

Arlendar #82 Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17513 battles
yesterday i started to grind thought it.. well, and today i´m done. :Smile_trollface-3:  Not a bad tank, i managed to achieve pretty good efficiency ( 2076.2 ) and nice 2.9 kill/dead ratio.. http://wot-dossier.a...442#performance

in tier 4 battle its deadly, and in tier 5 and higher battles i fell like a maus fighting M1A1 Abrams, Merkavas, Challengers 2, etc. :Smile_veryhappy:  
i got all replays if somebody interested..

PointyHairedJedi #83 Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28168 battles
  • [CIRC2] CIRC2
Maybe I'm just strange, but I rather like it.  The speed (or lack thereof) is a bit of a joke though.

Stokkolm #84 Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13705 battles
My main concern is that Pz.III has almost equal armor while being much better in all other ways.

sgTurtle #85 Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7939 battles
Top tank at its own tier, and still good in T5 matches, as long s you can avoid the big guns.

..but my god, T6+ is hell.

Dreadmau5 #86 Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12714 battles
Indeed, if you can just keep clear of the big boys, or allways stay behind the ones on ur side and just be a crappy support/quick flanker (go in on the side of the enemy to get them to turn to shoot you, buys some time for the heavy u're supporting)

Pen on the gun is actually enough to pen most side armor you'll face in up to T5 fights, and when u're in a T6, u can still stay back and (if you know to lead targets) get some shots off on enemy scouts (tracked a T-50 hauling ass at 360-379m range (he was ahuling ass so I don't know the exact rage when the shell hit him, not sure how but I was 90degs off his left side and just aimed, and fired, and then my chim dropped to the floor. :Smile_amazed:)

In "fair" fights this thing has the armor slope and thickness to let you record the fight and then go into MoveMaker and make a symphony of the noises of bouncing shells. Presonally, i think the only thing that has any chance of stopping a good fully researched AMX 40 is a T3+ TD, or a direct hit by arty.
There's simply no other tanks that have the combination of high pen and armor, to make a stand against this thing, even other "fourties" can't do much if the damn thing just puts on a good angle on the hull.

The usual scenario here is that:
1) You find some T4 asshat who thinks he can pen you, angle armor and fill him with lead while getting a nice "warpainting" on your front.
2) You find another AMX 40, try to arrange a truce if neither of you have the top gun cause neither of you will EVER be able to do any damage, just find something else and get ur teamamtes to find a way around him.
If one of you have the top gun and the other one does not, the one without it is going down hard. Aim at the sides at 90 degs angle at close range, the rear also works if he decides to show it.
If he keeps trying to put his front to you, shoot the driver's viewports below the turret, its the only weakspot he has on the front, and its hard to hit so don't try sniping.
If you both r fully upgraded, get some support to shoot his rear, and keep shooting his viewports with everything u have (HE might deal extra damage but you ned to hit THROUGH the viewports, or it'll do nothing) and hope he's the one to go down first.
3) Someone tries to ram you and looses 50% of their HP since you're twice as heavy as they, then you will be called a cheater. :Smile_teethhappy:

If you have a Hetzer on your team that might help by placing splosives all over him.

This thing isn't half bad, but it doesn't have a mission in T5 battles where it can't bounce shells, and gets pwned in close encounters aswell as in sniper shootouts. If T4 is top, you'll be a monster. Anything else, and you consider staying back for a while or teaming up with a KV-1 and get flank shots on enemies.

"Stronger than the faster, faster than the stronger" If this is your conclusion of your tank compared to the enemy's, you're good to go. And make sure you do some serious damage cuz you'll have a hell in the other games.

Crux_T #87 Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles
OP with my thoughts:
Armor: Good, nice slope, nice thickness, but against elited kv's, pz4's it stands no chance (not to mention higher tiers). Rarely gets matched with tiers it can bounce nicely, but if it gets matched with them, it is FUN!!!

[Yeah. Too bad most games are ones where you don't get bounced. I once bounced shots from my lee at the lower glacial plate, roofs the weak part, bar the rear? I agree with OP]

Speed: 50 kmh? Yeeeeeeaahh.... And i travel 407 kmh with my bicycle. 25 kmh at best at flat ground, 6 kmh uphill, 49 kmh downhill (useless, so i do not count it). Measuring like that, a Maus can go 100 kmh.. Down a cliff. BTW, when you see a t5+ tank in front of you, you can not run away, nor flank it.

[On the downhill comment, I managed 55kmh down a sand dune on Sand River. However, I leveled out and within 50 yards I was down to 20kmh. wtf? I agree with OP]

Looks: Non upgraded turret - like a duck, and somehow nice. With upgr. turret - ugly, asymmetrical, retarded, dumb. The hull however is really slick.

[I prefer the stock turret, and the hull is...1950s science fiction.]

Hitpoints: 280 non-upgr. turret, 300 upgr. one. Nothing special. Some things (and most of them if you are the top tank) can not pen you, but some do (t5 tanks), and when they do, you are dead in a few shots.
Decent guns: None. A t3 gun (best one) does not do very well against t5+ tanks. Inaccurate, slow reload, slow "circle narrowing" (snapping)... (again it pwns low tiers)

[Again with my Lee story, I kept getting shot in my weak points by an Amx, every shot (bar one) bounced. Meanwhile I had sufficient time to work out that I needed to shoot the roof. They do seem to be made of Concrete in the front, and wet cardboard and tissue paper at the every other side. Gun is way under powered for a tier 4, where the best place to shoot the gun is the back of enemy tanks. Too bad you can't get there. I agree with the OP]  

So, you can not scout, can not damage most of the time and are not handsome. It is a bad grind.
Fun, at lower tiers, but again, rarely gets matched with them. If you are lucky, however, it is fun. Really fun. Everything dings, and you (with the 75mm) can pen everything. I once killed 3 tanks in it, and that is my record (nothing special).

[True. The grind however, is painful, as due to terrible matchmaking, average exp is horribly low. I agree with OP]

The conclusion is: The AMX 40 might not be THAT bad, but the MM makes it (really) bad (like many tanks). However, it shines when it is the top tier.

[Shines at top tier with the best equipment, and not matched against any tier 4 TDs or T-28s (Which seem to be good at destroying Amx40s]

End of the rant review.

Meneldhil #88 Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6697 battles
The tank is completely useless if you end up fighting higher tiers. But if it gets top tier (which saddly rarely happens), is practically invincible.

GiS_Feanor #89 Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19385 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
A very frustrating tank. So extremely slow it makes your hair go grey and white in one game.
With the top gun and a T4 mathc with little marders, hetzers T-28 on the other side, you are king of the hill. I finished my grind of this tank with 31xx exp on the 3x bonus this weekend. top gun and steel wall. Took on 4 tanks in close combat in one go and killed them one by one.. the road was so cramped with dead tanks I had to go around..

Most of the time it is a pian, but now an then it really shines with it's great armor. I imagine this was the way the T9 IS-4 guys felt back when it was the beast of T9. I bounced a VK36 from point blank 4 times in a row.. the only problem was that I couldn't penetrate him either, so finally he got a penetration and I was gone.. (I tried LFP and view ports and machine gun at 90 deg, but noo...)

A-20 was a far far worse grind...

DarkJediLV #90 Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2573 battles
best part is amx40 was actually a medium tank, not a light.
if it was medium, i could understand low speed and you could join junior tank companies, which would make the grind easier.

Edited by DarkJediLV, 03 July 2012 - 01:44 PM.

khushrenada #91 Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 4145 battles
french "medium line", which is actually lights at the beginning, is the worst in game for me. every other nations tanks have something that makes the grind less painful, some got good guns, some speed, this one? nothing... just a pain in the ass grind.

it is slow as hell... probably the slowest tank in game.
1. gun is hilarious for its tier.

armor is nice, but only if you are put into a match with tier 2 only....

overall very bad gaming experience and slow grind. gets better with the 2nd gun. with that you are at least able to do something other than "dinging"

Frosthark #92 Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5302 battles
Wait till you get the AMX 12t, you'll miss the ol' duck :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Frosthark, 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM.

Exocet6951 #93 Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 40347 battles
  • [BALTO] BALTO
This tank should have had the AMX12t's gun, a better engine and be put in tier5. When in tier4 battles, it's simply too powerful, but when put in anything else, it's terrible.
That reeks of a mis-tier-ed tank to me.

Frosthark #94 Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5302 battles

View PostExocet6951, on 11 July 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

This tank should have had the AMX12t's gun, a better engine and be put in tier5. When in tier4 battles, it's simply too powerful, but when put in anything else, it's terrible.
That reeks of a mis-tier-ed tank to me.

Not really, Hetzer has better front armour, guns and speed.

Edited by Frosthark, 11 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

MilneCat #95 Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9350 battles
Bottom line is that light tanks are meant to be agile scouts, constantly moving.  The match is half over before I get within sight of anything in the AMX40, and then I can't reverse, I sure as heck can't turn around and yes, I can bounce low tier shells, most of the time, but they all circle and kill and I am frequently put in with t7 tanks...yeah, I last a while once sighted, I can tell you.  This is an elite light tank that plays like a woefully underpowered heavy...my least favorite of any line.

MilneCat #96 Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9350 battles

View PostMilneCat, on 11 July 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

Bottom line is that light tanks are meant to be agile scouts, constantly moving.  The match is half over before I get within sight of anything in the AMX40, and then I can't reverse, I sure as heck can't turn around and yes, I can bounce low tier shells, most of the time, but they all circle and kill and I am frequently put in with t7 tanks...yeah, I last a while once sighted, I can tell you.  This is an elite light tank that plays like a woefully underpowered heavy...my least favorite of any line.

That being said, I just had one of those rare t4 and below matches and got Top Gun, Invader, Reaper and Mastery Badge I Class in one battle! That was fun (though usually this tank is NOT fun).  I'll keep finding the fun ones, though, as I try to get to what I sincerely hope is a bit more agile 12t.

wojtekimbier #97 Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 5145 battles
After a patch, the amx40 won't get into tier 7 matches.

5igns #98 Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 20772 battles
I pretty much skipped it though my only complaint with it is that it is so ridiculously slow and the gun is to inaccurate for that speed (i mean you can't get close but you can't snipe so now what?), often times in t4 matches the game was over before I got to see a single enemy, just to slow for low tier games.

anonym_7JDqzVhJPdR0 #99 Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles
Just started playing the French Tanks, and this one is really the most annoying I`ve witnessed. For comparison: the germans have the Pz III as Tier 4 and the russians the T-28, both great tanks.

And now look at this french mess. According to the stats the max speed is 50. Maybe (MAYBE) steep downhill with no ammo and the wind from behind. On flat ground it has a speed of 18 - 20 (sic!). So it takes a lot of time to reach the hotspots on the map and finally contribute to the battle.

But "contributing" is maybe too strong a word, for the two 47mm guns couldn`t hit a barn from two meters distance. Not to mention the sometimes non-existent penetration and damage.

Dear Developers, please either make it faster so I can at least ram stuff, or improve the armament just a whee bit. Or, even better, imagine it would be a russian tank, and I bet it will be the T-50s small brother asap. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Voltaire1512, 14 July 2012 - 02:16 PM.

itsDarksideX #100 Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26012 battles
  • [MD_PO] MD_PO
I know most people hate amx40, but I actually bought mine back today, for teh lulz, I even got ace tanker in both amx38 and amx40 when I was grinding my way up the 13 90...

It IS slow as hell, but I love when people bounce 10-15 shots in a row and then die really mad. :Smile_trollface-3:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users