Unlimited Graphics in Videogames- A possibility now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

R_O_N_I_N #1 Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 10740 battles
After some (short) research, this doesnt seem to be fake.

Spoiler                     

If true (and implemented), this would seriously affect AMD and Nvidia and the gaming market as a whole. If I understood correctly, there´d be no need for Crossfire/ SLI setups anymore, no more need for cards draining 250 Watts out of the wall socket or maybe no need for a graphics card at all? A mere graphics chip like on many notebooks might handle this aswell, as if I understood correctly, no more than the actual pixels of your display´s resolution needs to be computed. Even 10 year old graphic chips can produce 1080p images...
Also this could induce a skyrocketting demand for post- full HD resolution monitors and setups. If everybody could suddenly play in resolutions like 5760x2160 (currently achievable with setups like AMD´s "eyefinity") demand for such setups would skyrocket, as currently only high end gamers push that market. And if a larger segment of customers wants to play in that resolution, the entire market could swap-over to post Full HD displays...
Lots of possibilities.  
When seeing this video keep in mind, that those guys are tekkies, not arties. They simply copy pasted leafs on the trees, and didnt design 100 variations of leafes as an artist would have...
-------
This caused quite some interest on my side (as I recently replaced my graphics card and passed through quite some research on these matters...) and I really want to see some more demos/ or maybe tech-demos for download myself. Really would lke to see this in realtime. Maybe a something artistic, showing the true potential of this technology.

Xarper #2 Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14424 battles
Impractical/Vapourware and old as hell. But interesting nonetheless.

ShadowyMOON #3 Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3011 battles
What VGA said basically. And imagine the bugs.

I'm also not really big on your whole market boom thing. Those things are expensive and not really even practical.

Panzer3Destroyer #4 Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15862 battles
Dont expect to see this in games in near future ,looking at amount of details they put in single unimportant object, the making of some game would take a lot of years + its not all in graphics.

But i can see this technology be used in virtual enciklopedias.

DougHole #5 Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 7178 battles
I once played so much Doom with a friend 20 or so years ago, when we went outside after a particularly heavy session, he tried to slide sideways across the road to cross it.

True story.

Aqarius #6 Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11182 battles
Think about it rationally for a second: If you put x 'atoms' in a square centimeter, and give them colour,  x*(bytes about colour)*(bytes about position)*(size of object)=waaay too much RAM needed to load anything of relevant size. That's why the objects in the video are all the same.

TheEnds #7 Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7412 battles
Wiki - Euclideon

In a blog post, Minecraft developer Markus Persson described Unlimited Detail as a "scam", as well as a "voxel renderer, probably based on sparse voxel octrees", arguing that while Euclideon portrays the software as "revolutionary", it suffers the same limitations as existing voxel renderers. Among other concerns, Persson expressed that the proposed test "island" would require an unfeasibly large amount of memory to store as unique data, and so must be built using repeated chunks. Persson also said the term "search algorithm" was a semantic obfuscation, as traversing a sparse voxel octree essentially is a search algorithm.

Euclideon has since released several interviews with CEO Bruce Dell which discussed several of Persson's claims, such as stating that Unlimited Detail is not revolutionary in its use of voxels, but in its ability to display unlimited quantities of such data by processing only the data needed. He also ran a demo of the engine on a laptop purportedly using mostly CPU.

On 3 August 2011, the technology blog Kotaku posted an interview with CEO Bruce Dell of Euclideon in response to Persson's post. Dell started off by saying that "I think what I would like to make clear is that this is not the finished product,” and went on to discuss the points that Persson made about his technology.

According to John Carmack, founder of id Software and a 3D graphics innovator, the technology is potentially feasible in the near future:

"Re Euclideon, no chance of a game on current gen systems, but maybe several years from now. Production issues will be challenging."

R_O_N_I_N #8 Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 10740 battles
Hmm, as I said I dont have an opinion on this but I find it HIGHLY interesting. Now, neither me nor anyone else can say for sure if all this is a hoax. The island demo could be a movie aswell as it could be really rendered-as claimed by Mr Dell and this interviewer- in realtime on an office notebook, I cant tell.
So the one party says, it has all been done before (Voxels) and the other party is saying, this might be possible with future hardware. Both critics contradict themselves.
Mr Dell made some good points though in his counter of the allegations brought up against him.

For one he stated, that the first video was never expected to gain such an audience, but rather a little tech-demo showcasing what he has achieved.
People immediatedly claimed it to be a hoax, for various reasons, like for example there was no animation to be seen. A counter video was put up showing a flying collibri and all other sorts of stuff.
Then people state, that all this had been done ages ago.
Then theres other people saying this wouldnt be possible with today´s hardware.
Then theres others that say, that all the stuff was just copy pasted and not textured a.s.o.
But still, if this engine is not a hoax, it still rendered TRILLIONS of polygons in realtime. Textured or not. Animated or not. NO computer that does not have a NASA sticker on it can possibly do this this point in time.

I cant tell who is right, but the fact of the matter that he got 2million dollars from the australian government gives his credibility some weight at least. Also that he isnt asking anybody for money (quite the contrary) is a positive. In the last vid he said, he wouldnt show up for another year, so when people say this is "old" when the vids date back to august of last year, well, there you have it.

Technological genious who made a breakthrough who made his explorations public too soon.( An impatient public that immediately cries "New Crysis or fake" if I might add)
OR  
A scam-artist who is fooling the pc-crowd.

I cannot tell what is true, but either way: No matter the outcome, we as the non-paying audience cannot lose in this. It remains status quo and Nvidia and AMD will bitch slap each other as usual over the coming decades, or in the best case we will see a revolution in gaming graphics as Mr Dell promises. The arrogant and "full of himself" impression I got of him, makes him appear to be convinced of his work. Or he is a really good hoaxter.
Anyways, we as customers can only win in this, but lose we cannot here.

See ya laters.
ronin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users