Jump to content


Post your Cold war vehicle of the day!


  • Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

TheFuzzyOne #201 Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9980 battles
  • 1,869
  • Member since:
    08-31-2012
I've actually seen this scene, they had it playing as a preview before Star Trek (Because apparently sci fi fans are the target market for FF6...)

The scene is ridiculous, they have to somehow film this Chieftain slogging along at sub 35mph with an old engine and all this add on rubbish weighing it down alongside 100mph cars and make it look like the tank can keep up. It's hilariously inept at doing this, not to mention stupid in how it apparently "chews" cars rather than simply crushes them. Although I admit there is one epic shot of the Chief just obliterating 2-3 cars in its way with either track. Scene's worth watching (Just the scene!) for that shot alone. Ol'Chieftain may have been an unreliable and clumsy but she could still shift those 60 tons in torque when she needed to!

The scene ends with them attaching a rope to it, then throwing the grapple hook on the other end off the bridge. It catches a strut on the bridge.

This apparently causes the tank to completely flip over on its front. I could genuinelly hear people groaning in the cinema. My father (a big tank nut) and I just sort of sighed with a sad glance. Totalling a surviving Chieftain to make this drek...it's a disgrace.

yourgreatestfear #202 Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31425 battles
  • 1,050
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011
The hilarious thing is that this isn't even the most ridiculous tank scene in a hollywood movie: Anyone remeber back then in the A-Team reboot the Abrams on chutes, after losing some of the chutes (!) correcting a fall with a shot fired. After seeing that this race tank seems normal ;)

Malleted11 #203 Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13774 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View Postyourgreatestfear, on 09 June 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

The hilarious thing is that this isn't even the most ridiculous tank scene in a hollywood movie: Anyone remeber back then in the A-Team reboot the Abrams on chutes, after losing some of the chutes (!) correcting a fall with a shot fired. After seeing that this race tank seems normal ;)

That's not an Abrams, it's the cancelled M8 AGS light tank, with the 105 gun.

TheFuzzyOne #204 Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9980 battles
  • 1,869
  • Member since:
    08-31-2012

View Postyourgreatestfear, on 09 June 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

The hilarious thing is that this isn't even the most ridiculous tank scene in a hollywood movie: Anyone remeber back then in the A-Team reboot the Abrams on chutes, after losing some of the chutes (!) correcting a fall with a shot fired. After seeing that this race tank seems normal ;)

Yeah I saw that one. Absolutely insane and ridiculous in the extremes. At least it was knowingly played for laughs though. :p

Blue_Badger #205 Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14094 battles
  • 2,440
  • Member since:
    09-25-2012
Ah, I forgot that scene in the A-Team. I think I buried a lot of that film in the back of my mind. Still quality entertainment though.

TheDOD #206 Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9285 battles
  • 1,007
  • [HOV] HOV
  • Member since:
    06-18-2011
Ah, Rember the Huge Kirov Battlecruiser? Im back with another Huge Sovjet/Russian Ship, this time Admiral Kuznetsov class Aircraft (and missile?) carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov"

Posted Image

Next time i think i take my fav Yank ships, becuase they had some very big and nice Aircraftcarriers  :blinky:

tigerstreak #207 Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

    Colonel

  • Beta Tester
  • 22290 battles
  • 3,546
  • [BL33T] BL33T
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostTheDOD, on 11 June 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Ah, Rember the Huge Kirov Battlecruiser? Im back with another Huge Sovjet/Russian Ship, this time Admiral Kuznetsov class Aircraft (and missile?) carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov"

Posted Image

Next time i think i take my fav Yank ships, becuase they had some very big and nice Aircraftcarriers  :blinky:
watch out the argies will use this picture +make some paintings saying they sunk it in the falklands war ROFL

TheFuzzyOne #208 Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9980 battles
  • 1,869
  • Member since:
    08-31-2012
That's a Russian carrier, mate. :p

You aren't wrong though. I've seen some people from Argentina still sticking to that inane conspiracy theory, despite images of all three carriers together post war...

Edited by TheFuzzyOne, 13 June 2013 - 01:48 AM.


TheDOD #209 Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9285 battles
  • 1,007
  • [HOV] HOV
  • Member since:
    06-18-2011

View PostTheFuzzyOne, on 13 June 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

That's a Russian carrier, mate. :p

You aren't wrong though. I've seen some people from Argentina still sticking to that inane conspiracy theory, despite images of all three carriers together post war...

I am bit confused here, what does the Russian Aircraftcarrier does with Falklan war? Unless im totaly wrong, Argentinia did't use Sovjet weaponry   :unsure:

Anyway, since we speaking conspiracy, so here it goes, found the picture where the ship was sunk

Posted Image

I don't mean to offend any one, so if this offencive, then remove the pic

Blue_Badger #210 Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14094 battles
  • 2,440
  • Member since:
    09-25-2012
The tale the Argies concocted was that they sunk one of Britain's carriers, which they didn't. It related to Tigerstreak's post.

Malleted11 #211 Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13774 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

View PostTheDOD, on 13 June 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

I am bit confused here, what does the Russian Aircraftcarrier does with Falklan war? Unless im totaly wrong, Argentinia did't use Sovjet weaponry   :unsure:

Anyway, since we speaking conspiracy, so here it goes, found the picture where the ship was sunk

Posted Image

I don't mean to offend any one, so if this offencive, then remove the pic

You clearly don't understand sarcasm do ya! The Dago's have a lot of form for bulls**t.

Malleted11 #212 Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13774 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
& of course some of our cold war canoes.

http://www.britishsk...rk_Royal_IV.jpg

https://encrypted-tb...TRo8rqtJeTXs3OQ

http://www.maritimeq...es_at_malta.jpg

http://www.history.n...3000/i03731.jpg

Those were the days!

Edited by Malleted11, 13 June 2013 - 03:02 PM.


TheFuzzyOne #213 Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9980 battles
  • 1,869
  • Member since:
    08-31-2012
It's crazy to think that Hermes (Which began construction in 1944) is still chugging today, albeit with the Indian Navy.

Blue_Badger #214 Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14094 battles
  • 2,440
  • Member since:
    09-25-2012
And they would have another... If we hadn't crashed it into a rock on the way to the harbour.

yourgreatestfear #215 Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31425 battles
  • 1,050
  • Member since:
    04-21-2011
@Topic

Cold war vehicle of the day literally, in actual being helpfull right now here in germany:
Posted Image

Edited by yourgreatestfear, 13 June 2013 - 03:37 PM.


Malleted11 #216 Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 13774 battles
  • 577
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
OK, so it's not a vehicle, but the cold war warriors will tell you, only GOD could make this rifle.

That Rifle, somebody had to mention it!

http://www.deactivat...r_plastic-5.jpg

Come's complete with brown wooden or black plastic furniture.

Blue_Badger #217 Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 14094 battles
  • 2,440
  • Member since:
    09-25-2012
A beautiful weapon by all accounts. If it were still used today we wouldn't have needed to produce a new DMR, not that what we have now isn't better.

Tigger3 #218 Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13561 battles
  • 1,779
  • Member since:
    02-01-2012

View PostMalleted11, on 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

OK, so it's not a vehicle, but the cold war warriors will tell you, only GOD could make this rifle.

That Rifle, somebody had to mention it!

http://www.deactivat...r_plastic-5.jpg

Come's complete with brown wooden or black plastic furniture.

Loved my elephant gun, had a chance to fire one in 2006 not long before I got out (last fired one in 1991 when I got my LSW to replace my LMG/Bren).

The REME I was attached to could not believe the recoil of it lol (had a tech Sgt refuse to fire it), it seemed so long as well after handling the SA80 for 14 years.

tigerstreak #219 Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

    Colonel

  • Beta Tester
  • 22290 battles
  • 3,546
  • [BL33T] BL33T
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostMalleted11, on 13 June 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

OK, so it's not a vehicle, but the cold war warriors will tell you, only GOD could make this rifle.

That Rifle, somebody had to mention it!

http://www.deactivat...r_plastic-5.jpg

Come's complete with brown wooden or black plastic furniture.
i was on the range when one of the flash suppressor prongs broke. it was sticking out like a joke cigar. still worked fine though.

tigerstreak #220 Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

    Colonel

  • Beta Tester
  • 22290 battles
  • 3,546
  • [BL33T] BL33T
  • Member since:
    12-23-2010

View PostTigger3, on 13 June 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Loved my elephant gun, had a chance to fire one in 2006 not long before I got out (last fired one in 1991 when I got my LSW to replace my LMG/Bren).

The REME I was attached to could not believe the recoil of it lol (had a tech Sgt refuse to fire it), it seemed so long as well after handling the SA80 for 14 years.
LOL calling them techs has made them soft.
having others that were techs, gave them no end of things to bitch about.
just as well the gut didnt shoot an slr set to the min gas setting or god forbid.... a .303 that even cadets would shoot

good old lmg, very easy to double tap, or even single shot... +a fcuk sight more reliable than lsw.
think the lsws werent shot enough to loosen them up.

Edited by tigerstreak, 14 June 2013 - 01:19 AM.





4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users