A quick and dirty guide to Arty (and how to defend against it)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Force_9 #1 Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

POPULAR

First off, I know that a lot of people are prejudiced against arty...but from what I gather, most such people have never played it before.  Hopefully I can jot down a few bullet points to make both playing arty and being on the receiving end of it more survivable.  

My buddies said not to post this, as I'm giving away all their/our secrets, but everyone's bound to learn it sooner or later.

---

When playing arty:

1. Don't be predictable.  

During my grind up to the Grille (and almost the Hummel) I learned most of the typical hiding spots on most of the maps.  All it takes is for me to see enemy arty lob their first shot, and they're dead.  Arty can watch the whole map, and even though you aren't "lit up", we can still see your shot.  Any arty player should use this to his advantage.  IMO, enemy arty should be your first target in almost any battle (except maybe Himmelsdorf)

2. Choose your targets wisely.  

Should you shoot the fast moving Leopard, or the slow moving KV?  Agreed, the Leopard might be more of a threat to you, but if your team's on top of things, they'll keep you from getting killed.  If they don't, they're either stupid and don't deserve your support, or crap players that are going to lose anyway.  Arty's a great asset when you're going against heavies.  All you have to do is light him up on the map and hide...if your arty's on top of things, he'll chip away at him until you can finish him easily.  

3.  Go after easy targets

Arty takes a lot longer to aim than regular tank guns, and every time your vehicle turns to aim, the accuracy circle gets reset...do you want to aim for the tank in the direction you're facing already, or the one you'd have to turn 90 degrees to face?  Also, consider your target's health.  Are you going to shoot the tank with 90% health, or the one with 5%.  Common sense should make the answer obvious; pick on the weak.  A tank at 1% can usually still shoot, and could possibly even take down one of your teammates if you don't dispatch of him quickly.  

4. Don't be afraid to use direct fire mode.  

It might not be the best on some maps, but if you play like a glass cannon TD, you might actually get some kills.  Nothing has made me laugh as hard as when I killed a SU-152 in direct fire mode with my Grille.  Battle mode is actually how I prefer to play in Himmelsdorf.  With your high trajectory howitzer, you can take relative cover behind a heavy and shoot over the top of him.  

(Keep in mind that I'm not recommending this tactic for every battle...use discretion)

5.  Patience is sometimes a virtue.  

A guaranteed shot on a tracked or otherwise disabled tank is better than a 50/50 shot on a moving tank.  Yes, sometimes you miss stationary targets, but what do you have better odds of hitting?  Also, wait until nearby friendly tanks have moved away before shooting a target near to them.  Your splash damage may damage or even destroy them, depending on their tier.

6.  Don't squander your scouts.

Too many matches, I've seen little Leopards and A-20s sacrifice themselves to light up the whole enemy team, only to have their arty distracted by shineys.

7.  Pay attention.  

Lots of SPG drivers go off into la la arty-land and don't pay attention to their surroundings.  I've seen scouts get through to my team's base, light up the whole area, die, and our arty never moves.  Needless to say, they typically died quickly in such matches.

---

Imo, a SPG driver's target priority should be as follows:

1. SPGs

They're the only thing that can reach out across the map and shoot you while you're behind cover.  Most often, depending on the type of SPG of course, if you can shoot them, they can shoot you.

2. Tank Destroyers

It's hard to sneak up on a tank destroyer, and if they're lit up, they'll soon disappear again, usually taking one of your teammates with it.  If your teammates were kind (and smart) enough to keep you alive, repay the favor by killing these buggers.  Hetzers and Marders aren't much of a threat in a higher tier battle, but JPs and above should be destroyed with extreme prejudice.

3. Heavy tanks

I like to pick on KVs...slow moving, heavy hitting beasts that they are, they're easy to kill, and you do your teammates a favor by doing so.  Tigers are great targets, considering their tendency to burst into flames when pew'd by HE.  Anything above that's good to hit simply to help your teammates out.  Depending on your SPG, you can chip away at their health, taking anywhere from 10% to 50% of their health away per shot, thus keeping more of your teammates alive.

4. Mediums

Being more mobile than heavies, I would only advice firing on medium tanks when they're sitting still or dangerously close.  The more agile mediums often end up in dogfights with each other, and your shot could damage the friendly that you're trying to protect.  Also, if he was dumb enough to go rushing off by himself, he'd either better be that good, or he deserves to die.

5. Lights

Even worse than mediums, and the same explanation applies to them.  Only fire on light tanks as a last resort.  It's a very satisfying feeling, killing Leopards with direct fire, but unless he's dangerously close, I wouldn't even bother.

---

When not playing as arty:

1. Keep moving.  

If you're not moving, find cover. Try to always carry a repair kit with you in case you're tracked.  Any arty driver that's on top of things will hit you when you're sitting still, guaranteed.  If he's platooned with other arty, (and on Teamspeak), odds are good that his buddies know you're tracked as well.  Even if you're in an IS7 or Maus, you still ought to fear arty.  In a lot of cases, the massive HE damage dealt by a S-51 or Hummel are the biggest threat to a super-heavy.  Too many times I've seen heavies popped 'cause they forget about arty, or foolishly consider themselves invincible.  

2. Keep moving especially if you're scouted.

You remain lit up even a couple seconds after the enemy scout dies.  It's imperative that you relocate or find cover after being engaged.  Change direction of travel if you're on the move.  A skilled arty driver can sometimes guess where you'll be a couple seconds after you are no longer visible.  

3.  Avoid running over trees/fences/walls/buidlings/etc.  

An arty driver that's on top of things will be watching such destructible objects when no other enemy tanks are lit up or shootable.  Sniper mode for SPGs give you a top down view of the battlefield, much like in an RTS game.  Fully zoomed out, the view is restricted to approximately one grid square or so.  Only tanks that are lit up are visible in this mode, as they are to other tanks, but terrain being destroyed and shot paths can be seen by SPG drivers no matter where they are on the map.  Consider your SPGs to be your UAV/Fire support in one package.

4. Try playing arty for a couple games.  

Yes, I realize you may be totally biased against it, arty drivers being fags and b*****s and all, but it might help you understand it and its threat a bit better.  Nothing gives you perspective on it like playing it...understanding its weaknesses and strengths, etc.  It's actually quite fun, not to mention profitable.  If you're a die-hard arty hater, you have yet to feel the satisfaction that comes when you kill non-lit up enemy arty from watching their shots.  For them, it's a WTF moment like no other.  

5. Gun for the enemy arty

Considering that arty's so "OP" and "unbalanced", a scout's priority should be to light up and kill the enemy arty.  Most people make a grave mistake (imo) by rushing off at the beginning of the match.  I find that waiting a couple minutes for the enemy force to disperse makes it much easier to penetrate their lines.  Most games, scouts rush off at the very beginning.  Most smart teams hang back a couple minutes to make sure their arty doesn't get scout-raped before dispersing.

If I think of more tips, I'll edit this post later...downtime's over, and it's time for more pew pew.  Critiques and comments are welcome, but please try to keep your comments constructive.

cDa #2 Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5572 battles
At first i thought this will be just another "i hate arty" topics, butupon reading i find it not, Very good topic, very good

Force_9 #3 Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the feedback mates, and keep in mind that I appreciate any and all (constructive) feedback.  

@Tinkerer: Yes and no, lol.  Yes, newbies need to know this, and no, I don't think everyone in game knows this...either that or they choose to ignore it.  Like I (probably) said in one of my bullet points, I'm always seeing heavies getting artied to death (even super heavies) because they get cocky.  I dunno if I said this earlier, but, (as some people have found out the hard way since the soft wipe) super heavies don't make you invincible.  I honestly think that powerful arty is the biggest enemy of the Maus.  I've seen one take down our entire team 'cause our arty was killed.  He wiped out a Tiger II, KV, VK3001(P), Jagdpanther, and a couple other tanks, while only taking 50% damage.  You might say that it was 'cause my team didn't know how to play, but at this point I add that the rest of his team was dead....after killing our S-51 and SU-14.

I guess the main point of this post/guide/whatever is that instead of complaining about arty being OP, try playing it.  Yes, it does a f***ton of damage, when it hits.  And when it hits, it's (usually) because you're sitting still.  

Just for the record, I complain about and hate arty...when it hits me.  I love it when I'm playing it, but when doing so, I'm cursing the scouty-fags instead...and who do they curse in turn?  The fellows that know the value of their artillery support, and protect it well.

To sum it all up, it's kind of a vicious circle.  Most people end up hating whatever killed them, be it IS7s, a Wespe-driving arty fag, or a PzIII.  None of them are invincible.  You just have to learn how to play against them, and the best way to do so is to play them.

btz #4 Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 14981 battles
I've been in games in which kind of skill and luck of arty guys decided the game outcome. Really, good arty decided who wins and loose, especially on "open" maps.

Fum #5 Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 9734 battles
  • [FAIL] FAIL

View PostForce_9, on 07 September 2010 - 09:47 AM, said:

2. Choose your targets wisely.  

Should you shoot the fast moving Leopard, or the slow moving KV?  Agreed, the Leopard might be more of a threat to you, but if your team's on top of things, they'll keep you from getting killed.  If they don't, they're either stupid and don't deserve your support, or crap players that are going to lose anyway.  Arty's a great asset when you're going against heavies.  All you have to do is light him up on the map and hide...if your arty's on top of things, he'll chip away at him until you can finish him easily.

5. Lights

Even worse than mediums, and the same explanation applies to them.  Only fire on light tanks as a last resort.  It's a very satisfying feeling, killing Leopards with direct fire, but unless he's dangerously close, I wouldn't even bother.

I disagree here. Lights are your top priority. Your team is unable to stop them 80% of the time even if they try. Autoaim simply does not work well against fast targets (and that's good).
A good arty player desperately needs to master two (three) skills. First is how to hit a scout that is headed for you, second is how to shoot enemy arty from shell traces, third (optional but useful) is to predict which sides the enemy already attacked from so that you move there and are less likely to be sneak attacked.

A live arty is much more valuable than a dead arty, even to an incompetent team. Always assume they can't protect you, but keep in mind that you can protect yourself and them to a certain degree.

Deegee #6 Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 263 battles

View PostForce_9, on 07 September 2010 - 09:47 AM, said:

[...]
3.  Avoid running over trees/fences/walls/buidlings/etc.  
[...]
Nooo... don't tell them that! I have a giggle whenever I get a kill from predicting where an enemy might be, from watching trees/fences/etc topple... only for the victim to utter "arty bs!!" or whatever. ;)

wibblywobbly #7 Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 11935 battles
Force 9, you are spot on about everything that you said. I have played light/medium tanks, a fully spec'd Stug and a few guns. What is amazing is how effective the humble Bison is when playing against people who stop concentrating.

One thing that is apparent is that there are a lot of youngsters joining this game, and they behave like a junior school soccer team. They wait to see where everyone else is going and then blindly follow them. They end up in a close bunch, pinned down, and a killing ground for arty.

There is also the problem of half asleep arty. I have pinned down groups of tanks, and expected arty to zoom in and take them out, it doesn't happen, and I end up getting shot to pieces.

My strategy would be:

1. Scouts depart and light up the other team. It never ceases to amaze me how they all hide in the bushes and as soon as a scout appears, who can't see them, they all start firing and reveal their positions to the opposing arty. The juniors also seem to think that they have to run right up to a tank and fire, rather than take it out from a mile away.

2. Next send out the mediums, if they work as a team (which is rare), they can destroy the scouts and take out any mediums that have advanced.

3. This leaves the slow heavy stuff and enemy arty, which, if anyone had any sense, they would take out one at a time.

The huge problem is that unless someone is in a platoon, any kind of strategy is nigh on impossible to implement. I don't think 75% even read the messages that flash up?

Things would improve greatly if numbers were reduced to 10 per team, and tanks only lit up green or red when a sight was on them, and if there was no indication on the mini-map. It's way to easy to see where the opposition is and to head for them.

Just my humble opinions by the way.

Rob G

DemonicSpoon #8 Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Anyway, as someone who plays both SPGs and actual tanks, I decided to write this to quell some of the "WTF Why am I being shelled from across the field?!" that shows up half the time. Most people who ask this honestly have no idea what the hell they're talking about having not played SPGs..and since they don't play SPGs, they don't know how SPGs behave or what SPG weaknesses are, which leads to them getting repeatedly exploded.

Which brings me to the first question. "Why am I being shot from across the map!?"

1) Most commonly, this means you're in a high tier tank...or at least, one of the highest in your map. Arty is unique in that it can damage pretty much anything regardless of tier. Thus, arty will generally shoot at the biggest stuff that it can. This -usually- applies. Sometimes arty is dumb and doesn't, or you're the only one they see. Moving on...

2) You're too far forward. When you rush forward and seem like a thread to the team, or more accurately the biggest thread, everyone will focusfire you..including the SPGs from half the map away.

3) You're showing your rear or sides. SPGs love this. More on this later.

4) You're standing still or moving predictably.

Those are generally the reasons why SPGs choose to shoot at you. Which is the question question I will answer... "So what do I do about this?"

As for 1), this is just the price you pay for being the biggest guy in the match and thus being able to outslug most everything else on the field. This applies more for heavies. If you're a heavy tank, try not to get caught alone. A lone heavy will be focusfired into oblivion. Stay with your teammates so you have other delicious targets to shoot at...not just for SPGs, but for other stuff as well.

2) Well...same as above, don't advance without support.

3) What most people don't realize is that in addition to having less side or rear armor, all your useful modules are on the back and sides of your tank. Even your ammo rack is towards the back of the tank at the base of the turret usually. Also, artillery shells to have penetration statistics, and they only do their full damage if they penetrate. If you show your sides/rear to SPGs, BAD THINGS HAPPEN. Hitting the ass is the difference between 10-15% and 80% (if I'm lucky) with my SU-8.

Of course, this is most obvious with SPGs because damage is so frontloaded with the higher tiers. However, this applies against ALL tanks. Really, showing your ass is a very bad idea™. Tanks do it from the front.

4) People think that moving fast does, or should, stop you from being hit. It in fact offers some, but not too much, protection. What's most important is that you're not moving predictably. The travel time on a shell at long range is...rather big. While I can nail a T-44 moving at full speed perpendicular to me (sometimes, not all the time), I'll be damned if I can hit a King Tiger that decides to change direction right as I fire my shell. If an SPG is on to you, MOVE UNPREDICTABLY and GET BEHIND COVER.

Cover is another thing. There's a lot of it. SPGs can't just snap around the map and fire, it has to take time to aim...so it will generally pick a single target or a group of targets for constant barrage until they die or are no longer a viable target. If you stick behind cover for a bit, the SPG will likely forget about you and go after something else.

5) Last and not least, you need to actually kill their damn arty. Scout tanks need to be smart and not just bullrush into the enemy and die horribly. Wait a little, see where the enemy is at and charge in where the enemy is not. Your OWN SPGs need to be vigilant too...when the scouts come in, your SPGs should be shooting theirs.

Also, counterbattery. When there's a lot of artillery in a match, it's very worthwhile for your own artillery to engage in counterbattery. Becuase you can see tracers on the map, you will know exactly where enemy SPG is shooting from as long as you are looking at its location when it fires. If there's multiple hummels/SU-5s/SU-14s on the other team, I will sit in howitzer mode until I see one fire...then launch a shell up its ass. Doing this gets you an easy kill and takes a big load off your team's heavies.

If the prior two aren't available, remember mediums are fast...they're quite capable of flanking. Having a group of mediums run around, punch through a flank and lol on the SPG is always a good plan.

6) Get a Spall Liner. Cheap piece of equipment that will protect you against module damage and being tracked for SPG. If you find yourself the victim of lots of SPGs, this cheap equipment is very helpful. Get it ESPECIALLY if you want to prevent module damage...Very helpful for T-44s and scout tanks that don't like being tracked, or King Tigers that don't like their fuel tanks exploding.

Sturmtiger_304 #9 Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 19603 battles
Sweet, a very usefull thread.

Syllas #10 Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
very nice!read and learn people :Smile_great:

DemonicSpoon #11 Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

That's not entirely true. Often the mid tank that's trying to kill your scout is much more important target than some IS-3 that's receiveing fire from half of your team. At other times it helps your team more to one-shoot some lower tier tank with decent gun, than to take 10-20% off a heavy.
It's more of 'threat' based system for me than 'tier' one.

Not necessarily. The difference is that everyone on your team can damage and eliminate a mid-tier threat whereas very few can hurt the really big ones. A low tier tank would have to be doing something obnoxiously aggressive and irritating for me to bother.

I was speaking in generalities. At no point did I say that artillery never fired at mid or low-tier tanks. I said that in general artillery fire will be concentrated on the high tiers. A lower tier that's doing something aggressive or threatening is certainly worth a shell... This is doubly true if there's small artillery that can't do appreciable damage to, say, IS-3s. An SU-5 or SU-26 would naturally be much better suited to dealing with immediate threats rather than long term threats.

Force_9 #12 Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
@Fum:  I'd agree with you here, but not when you're in arty mode.  If the scout's close, and you must take him out with a well place direct shot, do so...but DON'T MISS, lol.  

My targeting priority mainly applies when you're sniping at targets half way across the map... for example, when your scout has lit up the entire enemy team while they're all still blobbed together.  

I'd never advocate sniping scouts, at least not with arty.  I know it's possible, but when they're a half a map away, and you could have shot the Jagdpanther right next to him, shame on you.  You probably missed.  

Like I said though, lights are your worst enemy, but I only fire at them as a last resort, i.e, when they're about to or already have broken through our lines.

When I play a light, I will typically stick around to help track/kill scouts before going off on my own scouting runs.  A lot of these tactics will be easier to implement once clan warfare comes out, but in the meantime, hopefully this guide will make gameplay slightly less frustrating for some people :P

@Wibblywobbly:

spot on yourself mate, but I'd personally send out lights after about a minute or so myself.  It gives your arty time to setup, and the enemy time to disperse.  Lights can pull some amazing stuff when cruising around an enemy base, but I'd rather make it easier than harder for them.  

Also, this ought to go without saying, but keep in mind that arty takes a long time to reload...and aim.  Sometimes when your target doesn't get artied to death, it's not 'cause they weren't paying attention, it's because they couldn't get a shot off in time.  It's happened to me before...one stupid heavy in the middle of the open, shooting at a jagdtiger who's behind a rock, starts cussing me out when he dies 'cause my Grille can't reload fast enough to hit him every time he pokes his head out.  [sarcasm]Heck, sometimes I even missed, total douche move, right?[/sarcasm]

I'm not accusing you of being one of the above-mentioned types of people...but it's still an important thing to consider.  

I guess to sum it all up, battles are going to continue to suck until clan warfares implemented.  Can't wait :)

Eide #13 Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
This is perhaps the best topic I've read about SGPs. It's a great read, I salute you.

I've merged another arty post covering the same subject into here.

LordBerk #14 Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Pretty good lil guide. I'll chime in on firing at lights. Most times, you wont hit even with good prediction skills. If it doesn't compromise your position too badly I encourage to shoot. The tracking that comes from a near hit is a death sentence for them anyways and you can get that fairly frequently.

So let 'er buck. Oh yes and city battle Hummel to play is a hoot.

Force_9 #15 Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the compliment, Eide.  You've got me all a-blushin' =''=

To reply to what everyone's been saying about light tanks, I agree with most of you, but only situationally.  I've only killed fast stuff through direct fire when it was very very close or tracked.  Firing at a moving scout makes you vulnerable to them, as most know it will take you ages to reload.  Also, if they're still a fair bit away, you might not yet be lit up, meaning you're temporarily safe from both them AND their arty support.  

I'm a firm proponent of only direct firing on scouts ONLY as a last ditch resort, meaning the rest of your team has failed to protect you, and you are the last thing between yourself and the scout.  Yes, tracking him from a distance is good.  Yes, killing him from distance is better, but the odds are never going to be in your favor in such a situation.  You might track him, only to light yourself up and get popped by his SPG friends on the other side.  

In my experience, patience and anti-scout scouts are the best way to combat anti-arty rushers.  Too many folks try to snipe scouts from a distance while he maintains high speed on a perpendicular course, something we EVE players call "maintaining transversal velocity", lol.  Just like in EVE, if you travel in a straight line toward or away from someone, it doesn't matter how big and slow they are....it's a 90% certainty that they will hit you.  I've killed many a scout with my KV3 simply by waiting for him to give me a good shot.  

If you're in something fast, it's even easier.  Fellow Leopard/A20/T44 drivers are the best means to killing enemy scouts, and if most weren't so silly about rushing off and getting themselves killed at the beginning of the match, they'd probably do a grand job of defending you.  When you're in something that fast, it's a lot easier to get a straight shot on an enemy rusher.

My advice concerning scouts remains the same:

As an SPG driver, avoid shooting at scouts unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.  Carry a repair kit so you can get out quickly if they ram you.  Usually ramming attacks are a death sentence to light tanks, don't let it be your death sentence too.  

As a scout/fast tank driver, hang back a bit before scouting and protect your SPGs.  Nothing's going to be able to take advantage of your (likely suicidal) run if you don't protect your artillery.

As a heavy/medium, be patient and maintain cover.  Sitting in the open trying to snipe the scout orbiting you isn't going to do you any good...odds are, his arty support's zoomed right in on you, letting their aiming reticule settle.  Wait for a straight shot.  Bad shots means wasted time, wasted time means wasted arty.

Jhwang799 #16 Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Good stuff and i think you have pretty much covered the basics of SPG and how to kill it. I made my SPG to learn how they work and find their weakness. Gotta understand the enemy to kill them.  Now, im arties worst nightmare.. rawr!

MorroW #17 Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 16472 battles
Good topic, lot's of good ideas for beginner Arty like me :)

Mfigher8 #18 Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i figured out most of this by myself(now the proud owner of a hummel) but it is VERY good to know i am on the right track.
thankyou for a wonderfull guide  :Smile_honoring:

Burt007 #19 Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I disagree with the idea of shooting low health targets unless they are about to escape, if you have 2 of your own tanks shooting at an enemy tank and he is at 5%, why waste a shell other than getting the kill? Far better to hit a 100% target no one else has hit yet and do 50% damage to him, making him a lot easier for your team to kill or you to 2 shot.

Also never stop moving, as soon as you fire a shot you need to be moving and you also need to make sure you set up before hand so that you have nothing in front of you that will give your position away, ie running into a tree. I get loads of counter battery SPG kills by watching shell trails then seeing a tree slowly topple over just in front of where the shell fired. If you stay in overhead view you can still move so set up, make sure you are clear in front, fire, press w as soon as you fire.

Watch your shells land. An explosion is a miss but hopefully you have done splash damage. If it looks like your shell just disappears with no explosion, you have a direct hit, just not a kill, very useful to know. Make use of your gun travel, especially the Hummel. Centre the gun on your tank then spin the tank so the gun goes back into the centre of the tank when you are zoomed in on your target spot. With a Hummel you can cover almost 1/3 of a map without having to traverse your tank only your gun.

RTWAP #20 Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Excellent guide.

I've played up to Hummel, and done quite a bit of scouting too.  I'd like to add a few things about evading and hunting artillery.

If you're trying to evade artillery by dodging erratically, that's good.  But be careful to avoid ANY predictable movement.  Prime examples of unintentionally predicable movement:
  • staying on roads
  • crossing narrow bridges without varying speed
  • going around obstacles efficiently (complete turns, close but not too close to the object)

As a scout, watching a shell hit where I wanted the arty to think I was going is a rare pleasure.  It almost makes me feel bad when I kill him.  Almost.

Someone mentioned perpendicular movement and I'd like to expand on that.  When you're hunting a single arty and know roughly which mapsquare he's in, don't head straight in that direction.  Don't even head mostly in that direction with a few zigs and zags (the way you would when approaching a TD).  Your path should look like a seismograph during an earthquake.  All side to side movement of varying lengths that gradually brings you closer.  

The varying lengths is important.  Many scout drivers know to zig and zag, but when they turn, they really turn.  Doing a full 180-degree change in direction takes a few seconds, and it's a predictable path for any arty that's watched you from above for a minute or two.  So vary the length of the turns, and throw in a few fakies while you're at it.

For anyone who has never played artillery before, this is not just about hitting a moving target.  You all know it's harder to shoot a tank that's moving.  But the aiming reticle on an SPG blows back up to large every time he needs to engage his treads and move laterally.  And the closer you get to him, the narrower his aiming window.  From across the map he might be able to track your lateral movement for 10 seconds before his aiming resets.  From a couple map squares away he might only get 3 or 4 seconds.    Throw in some zigs and zags and you're pretty unhittable.

Finally, if he's the only target left that can shoot you, and he's just fired, then you know you've got a few seconds of free movement. Turn straight toward him and close the distance for a while before going back to the side-to-side movement.

And if any of you use this against me in the game then good on you.  I'll getcha next time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users