• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

MkH #1 Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38319 battles
  • [PSOP] PSOP
Hey,

I find myself a pretty good player with heavies and mediums, but I really have no idea how to play the Leopard. It seems inferior to the Russian lights in pretty much everything. It hasn't got enough torque to get up hills, the acceleration is very slow and the gun is too inaccurate to fire on move, as well as very slow to aim. The T-50 will literally run circles around it. And to add to this, every second shot either blows the ammorack or lights it up. Is there some secret to playing it?

Greuthungi #2 Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7732 battles
I can feel your pain, I am going through the exact same thing. 10 games, 0% wins, 0 kills.... :Smile-hiding:

Siegwald #3 Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12602 battles
It has good sight range and very good stealth capabilities.

Install Optics or Binoc together with Camo and Vents and be the spotter.
If low tier, aquire a good spotting position early in the game and stay there until the tactical situation demands otherwise.
If medium or high tier, be the fire fighter in the back, not the linebreaker in front of all others.

I'm still learning but I'm getting better with it.

As low tier on city maps you're usually fracked, though...

Cheers, Siegwald

Kyphe #4 Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16253 battles
I would like to help but when I played it, there was no Russian scouts and no french tanks so it is a different game.

One thing I will say is that the leo has the armor to play a light tank role not just a scout, so at the start of the game try to play anti scout, wait for the enemy scouts kill them, then go for an arty run when you get a good idea of how well dispersed the enemy is.

JeffyShow #5 Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5164 battles
how do I play it : I don't

stay on Luchs

Ethyl_Perchlorate #6 Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6756 battles
Towards the end of my career in the Leopard I was really beginning to detest it, mainly down to how easy it is to track and the awful gun it has on it. Now that I'm in the VK 2801 I guess you could drive it like that, i.e. don't suicide scout, try and just drive a few routes that let you spot without getting you killed. To get kills, just pick out isolated tanks or wait until there are less tanks on the field so you can rush in behind.

Or just drive the Luchs, much more fun and by far a better tank for me.

Nectaria #7 Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles

View PostEthyl_Perchlorate, on 26 February 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Towards the end of my career in the Leopard I was really beginning to detest it, mainly down to how easy it is to track and the awful gun it has on it. Now that I'm in the VK 2801 I guess you could drive it like that, i.e. don't suicide scout, try and just drive a few routes that let you spot without getting you killed. To get kills, just pick out isolated tanks or wait until there are less tanks on the field so you can rush in behind.

Or just drive the Luchs, much more fun and by far a better tank for me.
/agree, unlocked Leo to top gear, just to find out it was way too sluggish for me so I went back to the Luchs, at least I only see T5 with this nimble car.

BlackPearl04 #8 Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10703 battles
  • [SUNSF] SUNSF
dear all

i should have found this topic before i changed from luchs to leopard...
i guess i will go back to luchs as well.
but first i will do some more battles on this "runner"

bp04

MkH #9 Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38319 battles
  • [PSOP] PSOP
Finally got to VK2801. Ended up using maybe 15k free exp to skip the Leo. Not a bad choice at all!

Apart from the weak money making capabilities, I'm really liking it. A completely different animal from Leo.

TheSlay #10 Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6074 battles
As I am quite new to the game, I was asking myself if I was really that bad, or if it was the tank.
I get constantly put up in matches with T7/T8 even T9 tanks, get wasted in no time if I try to scout ahead, I can't hit and run or circle to hit in the rear because it's too slow and cumbersome, so I must camp and hit the front armor, but the gun is useless so much that even with 8+ hits on enemy tanks I get 0 tank damaged at the end of the round, much less any kill. In fact, as soon as I am spotted, I'm dead because I have poor mobility and laughable damages. I am basicely useless unless I can afford things like binoculars that are actually completely out of my reach. Is it normal for a 250k cred tank to be useless unless you have a 500k cred equipement installed on it ?
At least, the Luchs is fun, even when confronted to big boys.

Nectaria #11 Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles

View PostTheSlay, on 02 March 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

As I am quite new to the game, I was asking myself if I was really that bad, or if it was the tank.
I get constantly put up in matches with T7/T8 even T9 tanks, get wasted in no time if I try to scout ahead, I can't hit and run or circle to hit in the rear because it's too slow and cumbersome, so I must camp and hit the front armor, but the gun is useless so much that even with 8+ hits on enemy tanks I get 0 tank damaged at the end of the round, much less any kill. In fact, as soon as I am spotted, I'm dead because I have poor mobility and laughable damages. I am basicely useless unless I can afford things like binoculars that are actually completely out of my reach. Is it normal for a 250k cred tank to be useless unless you have a 500k cred equipement installed on it ?

It's a Tier 4 scout so it gets put against high tier tanks. Basically you are there to scout and/or kill enemy art when you get to meet them, the rest is up to the big boys.

As most of the teams I get, the big boys don't give a s*** about what you light up, I sold my Leopard and went back to the Luchs months ago. With the Luchs you only meet Tier 5 max, so you can have fun all the time.

MkH #12 Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38319 battles
  • [PSOP] PSOP

View PostTheSlay, on 02 March 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I wouldn't shoot at all in most games. Find a good bush in the frontlines and sit there spotting until enough enemies have been killed, that you can make your way to the enemy arty. I found it to be a really bad tank, and unless you really want the VK2801 - which I found a quite nice - I'd recommend switching to the Russian scout line. The Leopard really has no redeeming factors whatsoever: armor is only good up to tier 4 (which probably make less than 10 % of games), the gun is very slow to aim, weak, and inaccurate on the move, and to add to this, the mobility is bad - too weak engine - and module damage is common and deadly (ammorack and fire extremely common).  

The 2801 isn't that good of a scout, but more of a bully light. It works quite nicely against everything up to tier 5, as well as AMXs and open topped arty and TDs.

LeonINC #13 Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14935 battles

View PostSiegwald, on 22 February 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

It has good sight range and very good stealth capabilities.

Install Optics or Binoc together with Camo and Vents and be the spotter.
If low tier, aquire a good spotting position early in the game and stay there until the tactical situation demands otherwise.
If medium or high tier, be the fire fighter in the back, not the linebreaker in front of all others.

I'm still learning but I'm getting better with it.

As low tier on city maps you're usually fracked, though...

Cheers, Siegwald

Just installing binocs and optics for someone is still over a million in silver. Its not just a small investment you make. People who dont own 100k making tanks cant just spend 500k for fun.

Ive played the leopard a little with a decent crew and everything researched but the VK2801. Wouldnt say its terrible, but its acceleration for me is a turnoff.

knightM #14 Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47751 battles
  • [KAZNA] KAZNA
Leopard is crap.

It doesn't accelerate fast, it doesn't turn fast and the view range is about average for similar scouts, speed also.

So what's good about it? It looks nice imo and the gun is ok, but that's it.

=>
It doesn't have turning to be an active scout like T50/Luchs.
It doesn't have view range to work as passive scout like 38NA.

Selling it and going back to Luchs for german scout and continuing the play T-50. Compared to it normal T50 has as good gun, much better acceleration and turning at the expense of 8km/h in top speed and 20 viewrange.

Gauloisier #15 Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7627 battles
  • [9EBIA] 9EBIA
Which one does the most exp for a win: luchs or leo?

HairyBob #16 Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8383 battles
The Leopard is a lovely tank and drives like a porsche.   B)
The only problem is that the matchmaker will almost always make sure that you never see anything but tanks that are 3-4 tiers above you.

This means that you will almost always be forced into the role of the scout and it is a learning curve to figure how to do this correctly.
(There are numerous guides available advising how to play a scout Leopard)

IMHO the Luchs can be more profitable and fun mainly because it is often in lower tier matches.
IMHO the VK2801 used to be a lot more fun than the Leopard in 7.0 before they changed how HE works.
(Now it has lost its role somewhat as it can't really bully any more and is a worse spotter / rusher than a Leopard.)

michaelius #17 Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 11785 battles
  • [PPC] PPC
How much money do you earn with Leo after patch ?

Nectaria #18 Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 9652 battles

View PostHairyBob, on 01 April 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

The Leopard is a lovely tank and drives like a porsche.   B)

Drives like a Porsche?

Reason enough not to use it. I was searching for a reason why I went back to the Luchs which has a lot more Lamborghini blood in it's veins if I have to make a comparison.

Tammo_Korsai #19 Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6974 battles
Have to agree with the keep-the-good-old-Luchs sentiment, I've even beaten down the Leopard a good few times with my own 5cm toting Luchs and its slow turret. :) Says a lot about how capable it is if it can face down its higher tier 'sucessor'. Also worth noting the Luchs has a bit of an income boost with the encomny changes, so I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons to go Leo.

azakow #20 Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 81895 battles

View PostMkH, on 20 February 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Hey,

I find myself a pretty good player with heavies and mediums, but I really have no idea how to play the Leopard. It seems inferior to the Russian lights in pretty much everything. It hasn't got enough torque to get up hills, the acceleration is very slow and the gun is too inaccurate to fire on move, as well as very slow to aim. The T-50 will literally run circles around it. And to add to this, every second shot either blows the ammorack or lights it up. Is there some secret to playing it?

I recommend the following training sessions for any LT commander.
It does not matter whether you are using a LT4/5, it all applies.
Spoiler                     
The secret for the Leopard is to fight (shoot) only if you have to.
The rest of the time you will remain in bushes and keep the opponent visible to your team as long as possible.

At the end your battle/kill ratio will not be great, but it will boost your XP income alot and your vehicle and crew may look like the following.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users