An interesting point of view on the world

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Motions #1 Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6063 battles
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4Z9WVZddH9w

I've seen this video twice now and it remains very educational. It has an interesting view on today's problems as: unemployement, debt crisis, war, poverty, inequality, environmental deprivation and much more.

It's a long video (2 hours and 40 minutes), but it is one of the best 3 hours spent of my life. The video has subtitles in a lot of languages so it is easier to follow.

Hope you enjoy it and if there's anything you want to say about the video you could post here so we can discuss it.

X534 #2 Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23475 battles
  • [BAC0N] BAC0N
i would like to watch the whole thing but i don't have the time, maybe tomorrow

p.s. don't you mean best 2hours 40 minutes spent of your life :P

Jukelo #3 Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 26487 battles
Posted Image

deamy #4 Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:43 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 10731 battles
Not that I watched it yet, but this is from the wiki-article (http://en.wikipedia...._Moving_Forward):

The dialogue leads to a train of thought on how human civilization should start from the beginning. Imagine an exact copy of Earth somewhere in space: conduct a survey of the planet, to assess the resource types, locations, quantities, to satisfy human demands; track the consumption and depletion of resources to regulate human demands and maintain the condition of the environment; localize the distribution of resources, to control environmental impacts and maintain self-sufficiency; place an emphasis on recycling and the use of public transportation, in order to avoid resource waste. Through the global application of existing revolutionary technologies in the manufacturing and distribution sectors, labor and money will eventually become obsolete; thereby establishing the foundation of a resource-based economy.

This is IMO where it moves from "different views" to fantasies. Not even the most staunch Marxist would believe an economic system could sustain itself by just producing stuff for everyone. The anarcho-syndicalists ideas just doesn't work.

How would this be implemented in the first place? All capital owners suddenly go crazy and starts giving away their products for free? How would they afford resources for that? And who will work with providing the resources, if there are no salaries? Even if robots are digging in the mines, who are going to buy them in the first place, program them, maintain them and plan their work?

Now even if the technology with AI capable of doing this (will be another century for that - industries are much more complex than one might think), would we really put it in charge of the entire value-chain? Logistics? Robots flying planes and sailing oil tankers by themselves? I don't think so.

There will always be labour and money as long as we walk on this Earth, in any political system. Anything else is just ridiculous. A world-wide communist revolution wouldn't change that, and neither would anything but a total annihilation of our civilization.

---

Edit: I see much of the series is a kind of critique of our political/economic system. Sure, it has (a lot of) flaws, but the one thing people need to realize is that its the best we have. Nothing else ever worked better. Was the societies before capitalism better? The options some nations experimented with, like fascism or communism?

Yes, some things (such as the banks) suck. But is there, or have there ever been, a viable option?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users