IS3 OP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

DingMan #1 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 20761 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27
Ok so any time wargaming devs wanna wake up from their ignorance and nerf the now utterly OP IS3, please let me know. It's enough that IS4 was OP at tier 9, now I have to put up with IS3 being OP at tier 8. I understand that they favor russian tanks but how about you buff up russian tanks on the russian server only, and you let the rest of the world enjoy a properly balanced game. Oh wait I forgot, this game was never properly balanced, all they do is OP things up and then nerf them into oblivion and then they OP them up again, and then agian they nerf them into oblivion again, and so on.... Devs, lay down on the vodka pls!

Edit: before making any smartass comments, you should read the stats on my signature below, then think twice what you're going to say... And just to make things clear between CBT and now I HAVE owned and played ALL tanks in game except for tier 8 arties and the newly added french tier 9s and 10s (working on it), including all premium tanks (yes all), so don't tell me to "go play it". Also, if you are a sucky player (sadly most wot players now days are) and can't play a tank right, that doesn't mean it's the tank's fault. I've seen countless nabs playing IS4s and not having any clue what to do with it, in fact this is valid for most players in random games and all tanks not only IS4, so comparing your stats saying, hey I got better stats on KT than I have on my IS3 is a totally irrelevant way of comparing tank performance.

I think this is the best description I've seen so far: IS3 > KT > T32 > VK
The problem is, since HE ammo is now useless, if you can't penetrate IS3's front you really have no alternative. Yeah "flank him", guess what, flanking him isn't an alternative in most situations, tanks are not usually alone in game, and they also don't just sit around and wait for you to flank them. IS3 is a very maneuverable tank so flanking him it's pretty much impossible unless he doesn't pay attention and you get him by surprise. And guess what 2, even if you flank him, the rear and even back of the tank are pretty bouncy too. So yeah all these factors put together make it OP, not because it's just the best of its tier, but because you can't really counter it unless you're higher tier. The only things on its tier that can be effective against him are T28 and Ferdinand but I'm not considering those cause they are TDs and aside from that, in a 1v1 fight they will be raped too. Next time you're in a match with an IS3 and he happens to be at the very top of the list, watch him closely and see how even a noob player will own the battlefield with it, while the enemy tanks keep dinging him.

IF HE damage would be the same as it was before 7.0 THEN I would NOT call IS3 OP, simply because you would be able to counter him by spamming HE, but since HE is now an utterly useless element in the game (I don't even carry HE rounds on my tanks anymore) then IS3 has no proper counter thus I call it OP.

Thread moved to appropriate forum.  

---Orree

momo03 #2 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19613 battles
  • [DHPA] DHPA
I don't think so. I have an IS3 (only to get the free slot with IS4, though), and it's my worst tank at all. About 150 battles I think, and I still totally suck with it. Sure, it bounces a lot, but it just doesn't play well for me. And it dies MUCH MUCH faster than IS4, which is more probably "overpowered" than any other tank. But IS4 will be moved to T10, so that's ok for me.

DeadlyFighter #3 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 6303 battles

View Postvxcriss, on 09 March 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Ok so any time wargaming devs wanna wake up from their ignorance and nerf the now utterly OP IS3, please let me know. It's enough that IS4 was OP at tier 9, now I have to put up with IS3 being OP at tier 8. I understand that they favor russian tanks but how about you buff up russian tanks on the russian server only, and you let the rest of the world enjoy a properly balanced game. Oh wait I forgot, this game was never properly balanced, all they do is OP things up and then nerf them into oblivion and then they OP them up again, and then agian they nerf them into oblivion again, and so on.... Devs, lay down on the vodka pls!

Edit: before making any smartass comments, you should read the stats on my signature below, then think twice what you're going to say...

Wait... Are you shooting the turret?

Response to edit: The stats still won't help you penetrating the turret...

Czert1938 #4 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28796 battles
  • [CR_] CR_
in which ways EXACLY is is4 and is3 compared to others ?

LeonINC #5 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 13271 battles
  • [RDDTX] RDDTX
OP is a funny, funny man.

Woel #6 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22895 battles
  • [UN1CA] UN1CA
Well, my IS-3 is only stock (maybe got tracks), but I've never thought of IS-3 as something overpowered actually. They're quite easy to beat with my Ferdi, they don't really seem stronger than a KT if at all (maybe IS3 bounces a little more, but they're still pretty easy to hit). Though I agree they're much better than the VK, but that doesn't make IS-3 overpowered, just the VK is underpowered.

Even IS-4 are rather easy to kill, except if you're unlucky to hit the spaced armor part. Usually I've only got trouble with the US heavies, especially T29! That thing dies harder than a T30.

momo03 #7 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19613 battles
  • [DHPA] DHPA

View PostCzert1938, on 09 March 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

in which ways EXACLY is is4 and is3 compared to others ?

Probably referring to their armor.
While IS3 is nicely sloped, it can be penetrated all around if you know how to handle the slope.
But IS4 with its spaced armor is a very different thing. It can't be penetrated by most enemies it encounters, except between the tracks. Everywhere else most guns blow 122mm have no chance.

HELLVIS_666 #8 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9582 battles
Oh wow, how time passes by, another week over and time for the weekly "IS-3 (or insert random tank if you want)is so OP, please MTV WG pimp nerf the ride" thread.....

No tank is really OP, but some players are UP...  :Smile_harp:

Chack11 #9 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Translator
  • 2955 battles
The spaced armor and sloped armor changes has of course made it a little stronger than it used to be, but comparing it to the T32 and KT, I'd say Tier 8 heavies are pretty well balanced. I haven't tried the French one.

sirdust #10 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8379 battles
In my opinion the is3 bounces a little to much since the last patch. But it is far from op. I don't drive one yet (10k to go on is) but in my expirience playing against it in p2 and kt i don't feel like a victim. I can reliably damage it and take it out. Before the patch in wich they introduced spaced armor, i was never scared of an is3, i even could reliably damage it from the front with my types 100mm.

Czert1938 #11 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28796 battles
  • [CR_] CR_

View Postmomo03, on 09 March 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Probably referring to their armor.
hmmm, so if I tit t29 all day long to his turet and dont even think to hit his hull, will make that tank OP or me simply ignorant ?

View Postmomo03, on 09 March 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

But IS4 with its spaced armor is a very different thing. It can't be penetrated by most enemies it encounters, except between the tracks. Everywhere else most guns blow 122mm have no chance
is-4 is not that good as many thought - i was in my full hp is-4 with bl-9 gun engaged e-75 with around 400hp on open, i tried to mainer to hit his side, but he eveyriteme turns his front to me, allowing me very nice shots to his low  frontal plate....but every hit bounced, while his every hit penetrated, damaged and killed me, and I 4-5 times shooted and bounced for no damage. But which is surely wors thing is that just before I charged it was 2m behind my 100% hp is-3, and my manuvers allowd is-3 perfect side shot to him.  But you think that is-3 moved 1m more from cover to kill him ? NO.
I never wonder how peoples can get these ghigh tiers tanks without having any clue how to play.

Rubber_Shells #12 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 13961 battles
Its a good tank, but the Tiger2 and T32 are good tanks.

The only crap T8 heavy is the VK but thats more of a medium.

Yes i've played them all equally and i'm on T9 of all the heavy branches.

willTell #13 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10108 battles
IS-3 is the worst of T8 heavies in my opinion, but it is still okay. (VK doesn't count, its a medium tank :D )
Don't get me wrong, but the playstyle it requires isn't as versatile as on the other tanks - thus not the best option for me.

Sgt_Bones #14 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2637 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-
I find it strange that the OP, who seems rather OP in his IS3 too, would actually post this!

Hello??? Vxcriss, with 11k plus games you obviously know how to play, I cannot believe that you, of all folk here, would actually call the IS3 OP! It's good, damned good, but it, like any other tank is not OP, it, like any other tank in this game can be very effective under certain situations, but it most definitely ain't OP.

I won't bother giving you a minus, I figure you are having a bad day and just needed to vent something.

Take a break man, you are definitely overreacting!

lonigus #15 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27511 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
The IS3 is not OP, but imo very close to the KT in terms of quality, but the higher dmg IS3 gun, flat build gives the Russian half heavy half medium tank a leading position. It happen to bounce much more from sides then the KT due to the sloped armor.

IS3 > KT > T32 > VK (only advantage is the good speed)

monotomic #16 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 27462 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP
It depends on situation but generally IS-3 is good with other tanks around but 1vs1 against other tier8 heavies it will likely lose if players are equally skilled. Btw I don't understand why people are saying VKA to be so bad even it kicks IS-3's ass 1vs1.

willTell #17 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10108 battles

View Postlonigus, on 09 March 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

The IS3 is not OP, but imo very close to the KT in terms of quality, but the higher dmg IS3 gun, flat build gives the Russian half heavy half medium tank a leading position. It happen to bounce much more from sides then the KT due to the sloped armor.

IS3 > KT > T32.

Its funny, my rating is
T32 >>> KT > IS3

Woel #18 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 22895 battles
  • [UN1CA] UN1CA

View Postmonotomic, on 09 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

It depends on situation but generally IS-3 is good with other tanks around but 1vs1 against other tier8 heavies it will likely lose if players are equally skilled. Btw I don't understand why people are saying VKA to be so bad even it kicks IS-3's ass 1vs1.
The gun on VK is a beast, but you can penetrate it anywhere by throwing a fruit at it, regardless the direction or velocity.

Weanerdog #19 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4240 battles
  • [DADS] DADS
I must be honoust that I was (un)pleasantly supprised to find that I could not penetrate an IS4 from underneath, surley I should be able to shoot through the floor of the dam thing or was the floor actually 250mm thick because of mines or something? Not a rant just a question if a slightly off topic question. I was only using a short 88 so only 132 pen.

lonigus #20 Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 27511 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postmonotomic, on 09 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Then the IS3 must be a damn noob...

IS3 has a better gun in terms of penetration and dmg, its faster, much better sloped and happen to bounce shots from sides quite often.

VK has a butter soft frontal lower plate and also less HP. So in terms of the possibility of a ricochet, the IS3 wins BY FAR.