Löwe, increasing my win rate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Jackofall #1 Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29275 battles
I have not been playing my Löwe well for a period as I tended to rush games when my grind tanks were locked in other games. The cash was good but the win rate sucked. Now I aim to get the win rate up again. But it is slow going when 2-3-4 tanks in the team is dead before I even get to the frontline and start killing my 3-4 frags per match.

My over all approach is not to get hit. The armor and HP can not justify a slugging fest in the front line. The gun on the Löwe is fantastic but the depresion kind of sucks. This limits the use on high ground. Given the choice of killing a smaller tank or further hurting a Tier 8/9 I will kill the smaller tank. It is one less gun shooting at my team.

When shooting at tier 8-10 I try to track unless I get a nice side/rear-shot. Let the whole team join the fun, I say. Arty is my friend.

I would like some feedback please.

Ascender #2 Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19178 battles
I do not own a Löwe per-se but i own the next better thing (would say best but i do not believe the Löwe is better XD) a King Tiger.

The general idea is you act according to your place in the list, if you're at the bottom be passive, be safe, provide some firepower but don't take hits. When you're at the top, be on the front line, do your job, and try to trade shots on even counts. The thing i always live by is that if i can knock out my peer in the enemy team (Say i drive a King Tiger (T8 Heavy) i knock out an IS-3 (T8 Heavy)) i have paid for myself and any extra damage beyond this point is 'extra' and working towards victory for the team!

Now being at work here as one tends to be around this time of day i can't help immediatly but i would have liked at this point to see if you are online ingame and hop into a training room and see if we could work some things out, angling primarily. Seeing as you've got quite a few games in quite a few other high tier vehicles you're probably being better off than most Löwe drivers, but there is idd still alot of room for improvement. Take my word from the King Tiger when i say angling can mean the difference between a BL-9 (IS-3's gun, as example) penetrating most of the time or bouncing most of the time in your upper hull, i don't think the Löwe's quite capable of the same feat but i think the same is valid, just at lower penetration values and in it's case more for the Type 59 and IS-2's pen range gun (175-200).

Offc you know the basics for Lowe by now i may hope
- Hulldown whenever possible
- Angling the hull
- Use the accuracy of your gun, don't miss your mark
- Act according to your place in the list

mondog #3 Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 14369 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X
The problem with the low is when you're top tank, you're expected to lead somewhat the the Lowe isn't an IS3 or Tiger II, its much more of a support tank.
When you're in battle with higher tiers its very much a support tank. In both cases it really depends on what your team is doing rather than just your own performance.

Pretty much two suggestions:
1) Get in a clan and do platoons - This helped my overall win rates with most tanks; while its not guaranteed, playing in a platoon with clan members usually means you pick up a few tips and if nothing else 3 tanks working together usually has some say how the battle turns out as long as you're not all stupid.
2) Use the Lowe to its strengths, its front armour for Tier 8 is pretty bad but its got a good view range and a very good gun which is extremely accurate. So play it as a support role, a sniper, like a TD but aware that the cammo value isn't very good.
3) Don't lead the charge unless you know what you're facing - Sometimes you have to lead but you're slow and a big target so only lead where you know what is around the corner and that you can take it.

Jackofall #4 Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29275 battles
Looks like platoon is the way forward. I feel I do pretty much what both of you say. Thanks for the feedback.

IsoA #5 Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13018 battles
Play in tank companies and platoons with your clanmates. Thats the easiest way to increase your win%.

zek #6 Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17300 battles
  • [LN4ES] LN4ES

View PostAscender, on 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

The general idea is you act according to your place in the list, if you're at the bottom be passive, be safe, provide some firepower but don't take hits. When you're at the top, be on the front line, do your job, and try to trade shots on even counts. The thing i always live by is that if i can knock out my peer in the enemy team (Say i drive a King Tiger (T8 Heavy) i knock out an IS-3 (T8 Heavy)) i have paid for myself and any extra damage beyond this point is 'extra' and working towards victory for the team!
I would say even when top tier in Löwe one should be careful with going front.
The hull is weaker than Tiger II.
Even angled you will always eat shells frontally.
But the turret bounces quite some.
So it's always a good idea to stay behind wracks or team mates.

It's a mix of heavy tank and Tank-Destroyer.

Also the Löwe is really heavy.
You can never reach the top speed on flat ground.
On the other hand, you can feel a good acceleration even the slighted down hill.
Uphill the Löwe is screwed.
And with broken engine it is terrible slow.

Play it a bit more in TD style.
Stay back and know when you can risk to get shot.
You can fight any tier but you should not risk getting 500hp hit as yourself you only deals 300'ish.
Penetration should not be a problem, weakspots are known ;o)

Ascender #7 Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19178 battles

View Postzek, on 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Text
What i meant was that you should put your HP if anything to use on the point of contact if you have teammates to provide firepower. Like a Tiger I it is the trick of using the HP that you have BEFORE you get into a situation where your entire team is burning and it is 12 vs 5, because having full HP in a situation like that does not help. If you can knock out 2-3 Tier 7's and damage a Tier 8 you will have done your duty. The idea is that if you tell people to hang back and play TD they will become timid foxes and not actually participate in combat, atleast many people view it like that :P . The thing is in proper TD's like a T95 or JT this is the correct choice because you can get outflanked relatively easily and nailed by arty. The Löwe is infinitely more flexible than a TD...

Top Tier you get a killah gun, and it should not go unused, it should be firing most of the time (:

zek #8 Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 17300 battles
  • [LN4ES] LN4ES

View PostAscender, on 12 March 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

The idea is that if you tell people to hang back and play TD they will become timid foxes and not actually participate in combat, atleast many people view it like that :P .
That's true ;o)
I didn't mean to say one should sit in base with Löwe.
But also not be the armour for other tanks.

You can take a few shells but the power of this tank is it's gun.
So the longer it lives the more useful it is for the team^^

Also there is a problem in the speed.
On some maps you just can't follow your team mates and they fight already before you arrive.
Of cause more a problem of other players not understanding the roles of their team mates.

CaptainMastiff #9 Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13180 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View PostAscender, on 12 March 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

I do not own a Löwe per-se but i own the next better thing a King Tiger.
Offc you know the basics for Lowe by now i may hope
- Hulldown whenever possible
- Angling the hull
- Use the accuracy of your gun, don't miss your mark
- Act according to your place in the list

- Hull down is extremely hard
- Angling the hull does not make much difference, the only thing that can help is the "sidescraper" the sides seems to be paper thin and the Lowe turret seems to perform differently I can penetrated from all sorts of angles and the front lower plate is penetrated by PZIVs at weird angles too
- That goes without saying

I think regarding the win rate of the Lowe, I have tried my best in all but a few battles but I do struggle... If I am top tank I can "haul ass" hold a flank completely solo and wipe out 4 or 5 opponents with ease yet the other flank falls and our 14 other plays die leaving me to be raped publicly by small tanks. I get huge credit and XP rewards on all these games due to the damage but I seem to rarely be the winner...

High tier games I often am on the winning side, I get to sit back and snipe and pick my targets going for weak spots a lot calmer than having to lead the charge, for this reason I think I do much better. The credit and XP reward is great as well because of the potential damage I can deal.

I mean I recently grinded 6 million with my Lowe and my best credit earning games were top tank losses, where I literally damaged 8/9 tanks and killed 4 or 5 but lost.

So my points

- Don't rely on your armour
- Wait at the start, this tank is slow once you are committed that is it. So watch where everyone is going before you commit
- If top tank you are expected to spearhead the attack but I try and hold flanks on my own
- Sniper, Sniper and Sniper is your role if you can
- go for the "side scraper" position if you can on the likes of himmelsdorf against lower tier tanks, it allows you to hold an entire flank and bounce 20-30 shots or until they just give up and push.

Jackofall #10 Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29275 battles
All solid tips. It seems like others share my experiences CaptainMastiff especially. My clan is my hope. It feels a bit futile to be a rolling slaughterhouse and look up at the team roster after a few minutes. 'OK... I killed two tanks, hurt three more and we already lost the other flank...'

If I go toe to toe against other tier 7-9 in the hots pots I will lose a lot of HP fast. If I use rubble and wrecks my mighty gun take chunks of HP from the enemy.

Thank you again for good posts.

--edit--
I went platooning with another Löwe and we won 4/5 games. It was a close shave in two games. It was great fun to see the panicky motions of an IS-3 blundering around a corner to get an easy Löwe kill and suddenly eat two grenades in the drivers hatch.

Lord_Dominator #11 Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9218 battles
  • [VTEPS] VTEPS
Got myself a Löwe a couple of days ago, had some battles with it and I'm very happy with it's performance (I used to take out Löwe's easily, so I was quite afraid of it...). I don't feel inferior compared to the regular tier 8 heavies, and the credit income is awesome!

Crew is at 100% and 80% repair and I have been thinking about mounting some modules. I guess the ventilation + rammer is a must here as well, but any ideas for the third module? What setups do you guys use, and why?

Jackofall #12 Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 29275 battles
Rammer, Vent and Vertical Stabilizer. I tried optical but I felt I did not get much use out of it. The reason I run with Vert Stab is that the aim circle is pretty small from the start so a gun laying belt is of limited use. The Vert Stab have enabled me to follow up rushes with other tanks. You need a certain amount of luck but it is priceless to push with four tanks over the field in Murovanka and fire four times on the move with 100% hit rate.

I have had quite a few hits on arty when rolling forward in the end game. Also I like it in peekaboo.

xxlguru #13 Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 19491 battles
To start of with warning :)

To be quite honest I do not care about WR.

Specially in Loewe.

For me it is about Fun I get playing it and then far second credits it makes. I play to win but actually play to make lot of damage and to many as possible people (kill number can differ some one can steal kill but can not steal 90% of damage you have made to a target). I do not hide from Tier IX and Tier X tanks with my Loewe and like to hunt them every time I recognize players that are prey.

Second of all sorry for incoming advises, you have almost 1100 matches in it and I have like under 200 though all done very recently.

Gun is awesome. It penetrates almost all weak spots on almost all tanks in game now days. Shoot at it as you where in Tier X tank. You are experienced player you will know where and how. So it is not needed to catch them with pants down, weak spots can be penetrated with it. E100 lower plate IS-4 IS-7 shoulders, Lower plates in general, side of some turrets etc. etc. All can be penetrated with high percentage of shells fired.

Compering to those higher tiers you have no armor. So when you do peek-a-boo make sure you do not get hit (at least not much while big canons can two shot you).

Go in Mahlzeit position at least to confuse them and make them believe it is useful in Loewe to :) They might think you know what you are doing :) when actually they can penetrate it anyways only looks cooler and presents some chance of smaller damage de tracks.

Still for good player it is good enough to do peek-a-boo game. I have done so with Tier X and got nice results and ton's of fun.

Avoid Medium/Light French tanks routes. Flanked by Frenchies or any good medium you are dead.

Snipe when ever you can and use it's accuracy.

If possible hull down or at least hide partially hull. Turret does bounce some percentage (not much and not coming from T7, S70, BL10 etc. etc.) and presenting them with turret only they will have smallest German Heavy Tank target in game.

It is slow as you know so you know what you an reach or not. Someone mentioned Platoons but they are not that necessary. If nothing else you will have to follow faster heavies anyways :) So go support someone and automatically you will have a company :) .

Choose your opponents good and choose time to act. Do not go to soon to a first line. Abuse any weakness and try to force your tempo to them. Scare them and surprise them disregarding in what tank they are. Loewe can make WTF effect even on Tier X tanks. Like they ignore you even and then WTF???? If they are confused be polite and abuse it :)

So those would be my play style advices.

Not that I would know anything about stats pumping (there is better word but I do not dare to use it :) and not that you have asked for that) but I see that people who want higher WR play Platoon of 3 (good players required) and play just limmited amount of games. Like first lost game stop playing that tank. Do not approve or telling you to do that but I see people doing it.

Have a good fun.

Romer #14 Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6245 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD
I've got some 300 + battles in the Lowe and my tips for success would be (61% win ratio here).

1) Take a moment to see where your team is deploying and position yourself accordingly. The Lowe's speed means you pretty much can never redeploy. If you find yourself out of position you're screwed.

2) Some maps will have routes that are not open to you because of your speed. Don't use those long routes or you will be ineffective and fight nobody.

3) 100% crew with rammer + other mods.

4) Avoid brawling. You don't have the ROF or armour to get surrounded by multiple foes.

5) But don't be afraid to advance. You don't want to brawl, but your team is advancing, you need to advance to otherwise you'll be left out of the fight. If your comfortably the top tier, your team should wait for you.

6) Fireing on the move is very possible as you move so slowly :P

Lord_Dominator #15 Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9218 battles
  • [VTEPS] VTEPS

View PostJackofall, on 20 March 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Rammer, Vent and Vertical Stabilizer. I tried optical but I felt I did not get much use out of it. The reason I run with Vert Stab is that the aim circle is pretty small from the start so a gun laying belt is of limited use. The Vert Stab have enabled me to follow up rushes with other tanks. You need a certain amount of luck but it is priceless to push with four tanks over the field in Murovanka and fire four times on the move with 100% hit rate.

I have had quite a few hits on arty when rolling forward in the end game. Also I like it in peekaboo.

Sounds good, I'll try it out!

Cpt_Blue #16 Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 24023 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostRomer, on 20 March 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

I've got some 300 + battles in the Lowe and my tips for success would be (61% win ratio here).

1) Take a moment to see where your team is deploying and position yourself accordingly. The Lowe's speed means you pretty much can never redeploy. If you find yourself out of position you're screwed.

2) Some maps will have routes that are not open to you because of your speed. Don't use those long routes or you will be ineffective and fight nobody.

3) 100% crew with rammer + other mods.

4) Avoid brawling. You don't have the ROF or armour to get surrounded by multiple foes.

5) But don't be afraid to advance. You don't want to brawl, but your team is advancing, you need to advance to otherwise you'll be left out of the fight. If your comfortably the top tier, your team should wait for you.

6) Fireing on the move is very possible as you move so slowly :P

I just wanted to say, I found this to be solid advice. GJ and +1

Jesco #17 Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 3499 battles

View PostJackofall, on 12 March 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

I have not been playing my Löwe well for a period as I tended to rush games when my grind tanks were locked in other games. The cash was good but the win rate sucked. Now I aim to get the win rate up again. But it is slow going when 2-3-4 tanks in the team is dead before I even get to the frontline and start killing my 3-4 frags per match.

My over all approach is not to get hit. The armor and HP can not justify a slugging fest in the front line. The gun on the Löwe is fantastic but the depresion kind of sucks. This limits the use on high ground. Given the choice of killing a smaller tank or further hurting a Tier 8/9 I will kill the smaller tank. It is one less gun shooting at my team.

I read front line twice. And there seems to be a something you did not understand. Let me quote from the official World of Tanks Wiki:

Designed for sniping, the Löwe is armed with a very accurate 10.5 cm  gun, and paired with a rather decent hull, which while not quite as  heavily armored as the PzKpfw VIB Tiger II, its sufficient to protect it  from tier 7 guns. The performance of this tank is quite good for its  tier, provided that it does not engage in close quarter combat, which is  almost certain death for this tank.

You should not be in the front line, but the second line. Advance carefully, go from cover to cover. Crew camo skills can be very helpful. Track enemies for arty. You have the accuracy for that. For equipment I use GLD, V-Stab and Rammer.

Cheers,

Jesco

Iteration616 #18 Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostJesco, on 22 March 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

I read front line twice. And there seems to be a something you did not understand. Let me quote from the official World of Tanks Wiki:

You should not be in the front line, but the second line. Advance carefully, go from cover to cover. Crew camo skills can be very helpful. Track enemies for arty. You have the accuracy for that. For equipment I use GLD, V-Stab and Rammer.

Cheers,

Jesco

While the wiki's suggestions are basically right, I have to comment on two points in your post.

1: Camo really doesn't help you much. Löwe is a huge tank which translates to poor camo value, so skilling up camo brings neglible boost to the small inherent camo this tank has. And if you're so far away that the miniscule amount of extra camo becomes useful, you're driving your heavy tank wrong, even if and when that tank is one of the best snipers in the game.

2: It's a heavy tank. While the hull armor is lacking for a tier 8, Löwe can tank several big hits with it's HP-pool. If you're the top tank you must lead, simply because there's nobody else who can do it.

Löwe actually suffers from it's preferential matchmaking, since it often sits in the top third and quite often gets to be the top dog, and has to go against regular tier 8s sitting on the other teams top spots. When that happens you have to be the front line of battle, have to lead and have to take the big hits so your lower tier teammates stay alive to support you.

If they support you, which seems to happen in randoms once in a blue moon.

I do admit that I'm just an average tanker, so my opinions don't rate as high as someone who is better than me.

I do play my Löwe aggressively and a bit recklessly sometimes, but still I often find myself being one of the last tanks alive, trying to defend myself against multilple enemies or watching from half a map away when the enemies start capping, as they have massacred the other flank while a few of us have been holding the other against half of the enemy team.

Jesco #19 Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 3499 battles

View PostIteration616, on 22 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

While the wiki's suggestions are basically right, I have to comment on two points in your post.

1: Camo really doesn't help you much. Löwe is a huge tank which translates to poor camo value, so skilling up camo brings neglible boost to the small inherent camo this tank has. And if you're so far away that the miniscule amount of extra camo becomes useful, you're driving your heavy tank wrong, even if and when that tank is one of the best snipers in the game.

2: It's a heavy tank. While the hull armor is lacking for a tier 8, Löwe can tank several big hits with it's HP-pool. If you're the top tank you must lead, simply because there's nobody else who can do it.

Löwe actually suffers from it's preferential matchmaking, since it often sits in the top third and quite often gets to be the top dog, and has to go against regular tier 8s sitting on the other teams top spots. When that happens you have to be the front line of battle, have to lead and have to take the big hits so your lower tier teammates stay alive to support you.

If they support you, which seems to happen in randoms once in a blue moon.

I do admit that I'm just an average tanker, so my opinions don't rate as high as someone who is better than me.

I do play my Löwe aggressively and a bit recklessly sometimes, but still I often find myself being one of the last tanks alive, trying to defend myself against multilple enemies or watching from half a map away when the enemies start capping, as they have massacred the other flank while a few of us have been holding the other against half of the enemy team.

Well the MM-gods favor you then. Until now I had only one game where there were not at least 2 T10's per team. This puts me in quite the camping position.

And in my experience camo skill did help. But then again we have the right to differ, don't we? ;)